Photo

Which GTA Title had the best story?

22 replies to this topic
LibSity
  • LibSity

Genetically Superior

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

Forget the gameplay, graphics, etc. Just strictly storyline. Which title had the best story? No spoilers... While we're at it, maybe we can rank the stories...

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Get Love Fisted

• Australia
  • Best Member In An Official Group 2012

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

GTA IV

/thread.

• Mr.Raspberry Jam likes this

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

I know people may disagree with me on this, but I though GTA V had the most gripping storyline.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

I know people may disagree with me on this, but I though GTA V had the most gripping storyline.

I don't see why too many people would strongly disagree with this point. I mean, had they written Franklin a bit better (for example giving him a greater focus throughout the story, and not just the end) and made
Spoiler
a more menacing antagonist, it could actually hold a candle to a lot of current TV shows.
That said though, I feel that overall writing of characters in IV was better, it was just the structure of the story in V that made it better.
Niko, best protagonist.
Roman, best sidekick.
Dimitri, most evil motherf*cker in the whole series.

PooyanCyrus
  • PooyanCyrus

iFruit fanboys are idiots

• Members
  • Mars
  • Best Concept Story 2013 "Grand Theft Auto: Ultimate"

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

GTA III had the best start
VC had the funnest story (Building a gang empire instead of revenge)
SA was a nice work on turning good people into antagonists.
LCS was terrible but VCS was a very nice introduction to VC
IV had a good story in most aspects.
But i haven't finished V to judge it.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

Not much to debate here:

IV and TLaD on the second place as it was just an add-on.

l911
  • l911

ⒶⓌⒺⓈⓄⓂⒺ

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:06 PM

All of them are not good if you look as movie style plot but for the game they all work.

Journey_95
  • Journey_95

Hustler

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

gta iv for sure

LzInFaMouSzL
  • LzInFaMouSzL

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:44 PM

GTA V for sure..

IV was boring as hell

Simon_V
  • Simon_V

Red Dead Undead

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

The best story has Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and the 2nd best story has Grand Theft Auto IV.

D- Ice
  • D- Ice

Gangsta

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:23 PM Edited by D- Ice, 15 October 2013 - 01:24 PM.

IMO GTA 3.

Even by today's game standards, the story wasn't at all that short, and for it's time nothing short that epic.

What I loved about it was the fact that it consists more of a collection of various stories of the various mission providers, who happened to be aligned to the protagonist's opposition to the Colombian Cartel. It is a rather unique concept as virtually nothing is about Claude's story, so I felt far more connected and immersed in the story - both me and Claude are mere voyeurs in the world of LC crime.

The menacingly unique themes that don't fit into any stereotypical gangster movies made the story far more mature and original. There was Luigi the sleazy Mafia pimp, and Donald Love the multi-millionaire (or multi-billionaire) businessman and his

Spoiler

Also making the game more mature was the inherently questionable morality involved in Claude's work,coupled with the glaring justifications for which. An example 

Spoiler

No other GTA has done anything like that as successfully. While other mass-murdering protagonists also perform some morally questionable to downright immoral actions, all their justifications are incredibly shallow and superficial compared to those in GTA 3. Like GTA IV's Niko

Spoiler

I found the stories of the last two GTAs more a convoluted, unremarkable, singular storyline, which I ultimately found rather disappointing. I much prefer lots of shorter stories about the various mission providers, with lots of twists and a real sense ofprgression. That is why I absolutely loved the storyline of Red Dead Redemption.

zeppelincheetah
  • zeppelincheetah

Soldier

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

Honestly I think GTA III had the best, although it was the least fleshed out. 

Set up by partner Catalina, thrown in jail.  En route to prison but get lucky because someone sabotages the convoy and have to make a fresh start.  Dude named 8-ball helps you find work working for the italians which you work your way up to the Don who doesn't trust you and tries to have you killed.  You escape to Staunton Island with Salvatore's girl Maria who seems to have a thing for you and start over again, working for Maria's friend's brother, among others.  A real estate mogul convinces you to turn the Yakuza and Columbian gangs against eachother and in this you come in contact with Catalina's second in command.  Working for a crooked cop you help him escape the city to Miami before finally searching out Catalina for revenge in the suburbs. 

Vice City's was decent but I just didn't like Tommy that much for some reason. 

San Andreas's story was very entertaining and imo had my favorite characters but it was all over the place and kind of messy, but when you think about it the overall structure of the story was pretty good.  After leaving his homies for Liberty City CJ finally comes back to Los Santos after his mother dies.  He learns to put in his for the hood and try to get the families back together before he begins to make the same mistake he did before in Liberty City by forgetting his way in San Fierro and Las Venturras before eventually setting what's right in the hood. 

LCS's story was ok but I honestly can't recall much about it, other than Toni returning from out of town and working for various crime bosses including Salvatore. 

I did not like VCS or IV's stories at all but TLAD and TBOGT sort of made up for it, as did GTA V (though anything with Franklin was very poorly done). 

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:13 PM

Gta IV = Great Storyline 

Tlad Vcs Lcs Vice City Gta III = Good Storyline 

Tbogt And V = Mediocre Storyline 

San Andreas = Poor Storyline 

that's my take on it 

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:07 PM

GTA IV that's for sure, because I have never seen such a storyline with a very deep and depressing type of plot, the plot that always affect the game's decisions and more. Also if you really took a deep understanding of Niko's actions, you can really feel his very depressing side despite his murderous actions almost seen everytime.

Lewis Chappers
  • Lewis Chappers

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

I enjoyed the stories in Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City & Grand Theft Auto IV. They have some of the most unique story-lines in the series, and had truly amazing missions, which all seemed to grip me in someway or another.

Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

Hmm...

GTA 3: Great pacing and awesome gangs.

GTA Vice City: The best in the series at starting from nothing and rising all the way to the top. But the pacing is a bit off imo.

GTA: SA: The best journey. It probably had the best pace of the series overall imo. You go to different cities, and it's like a different stage of CJ's life. Like Vice City, you start from nothing and go to the top.

GTA IV: The best anatongist of the series imo, and I think it had the most depressing but realistic storyline, but it was a bit dragged out.

GTA V: The best action in the series and solid story. Video game version of Heat.

VC, SA and IV had the best plot twists in the series.

I think the best storyline of the series was either San Andreas or GTA IV.

Don Fraser
  • Don Fraser

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

SA hands down. Story was so immersive and had a great variety with a great background and in depth characters. Also different environments created different atmospheres and changed CJ as a character.... Could go on but would be here forever!

Nepali_modder
  • Nepali_modder

Player Hater

• New Members
  • None

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

Gta san andreas

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

I'd say that GTA IV had the best storyline.

VanillaIce
  • VanillaIce

Cole Phelps FanBoy

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:20 PM Edited by VanillaIce, 24 May 2014 - 03:22 PM.

Grand Theft Auto IV Had the best Storyline Overall but even that had it flaws with a lack of Focus At Times but it was still the Most Engaging and Best Written in the Grand Theft Auto Series Thus Far and it was a very Good Story .

None of the Gta Games have Speculator Storylines but their all Entertaining and  have great well Devolved  Characters and Brilliant Dialogue the only story i Dislike would be San Andreas but even that was still A Memorable Storyline it was just a mess at the Same Time.

Kevinnicholls62
  • Kevinnicholls62

My names Lewis (gamertag is inside joke) and I'm that white

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

GTA IV or Vice City were my favorite storylines, but for gameplay it'd be San Andreas with the things to do in that game.

LowiPL
  • LowiPL

Thug

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

Vice City

Phoenix_Poop
  • Phoenix_Poop

Player hater or hater player, or what?

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

GTA IV IMO. One of the best. Niko Bellic is an amazing character. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users