Photo

In-Game Miles.

10 replies to this topic
dewan2000
  • dewan2000

Hustler

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:16 AM

Maybe its just me but Miles in game seem to be a bit exaggerated. By exaggerated I mean that a single mile seems to feel more like 3 or 4 miles. Im judging this off by when you mark a location the gps tells you how far away it is. I do know the map does say how far a mile is in the game, but when you actually sit down and play it...everything feels larger.   It could be the fact that the roads are larger than how they actually are in reality, or maybe it is due to the fact that things look to be further away than they actually are? Though that could be explained by the fact of how fast we often drive.

What do you all think?  To me it feels like 1 in-game mile feels more like 3.

Sweettooth187
  • Sweettooth187

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:04 AM

I agree. I'm sure someone could probably calculate it accurately but when I started from the beach and headed all the way to Mount Chiliad I felt like I'd driven 20-30 miles. I'm sure part of this is just illusion because typically the boonies ARE miles and miles outside civilization, and knowing this, then seeing the transition, your mind is convinced you've come a long way. I felt the same way in San Andreas. Clever R* :)

• Itzreality likes this

Jamhesings
  • Jamhesings

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:28 AM

Nah man those miles are pretty damn accurate....run 5 miles for the epsilom missions you do as Mike. I ran up and down trevors air strip and down and back is almost exactly 1 mile...dude driving 30 miles would take like 30 minutes and it only takes like 10 at the most to drive from the airport to paleto bay....but I dont really know...it feels accurate...really good point though its trippy to think if it...

dewan2000
  • dewan2000

Hustler

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:43 PM

Nah man those miles are pretty damn accurate....run 5 miles for the epsilom missions you do as Mike. I ran up and down trevors air strip and down and back is almost exactly 1 mile...dude driving 30 miles would take like 30 minutes and it only takes like 10 at the most to drive from the airport to paleto bay....but I dont really know...it feels accurate...really good point though its trippy to think if it...

Im not saying its way off...and believe me, Living out in the countryside and driving alot. I know pretty well how long a mile is. It seems to me a mile in GTA V is the equivalent of more like a mile and a half.  I could be wrong...but it just seems that way to me.

GUCCI_MANE_PIZZA_PARTY
  • GUCCI_MANE_PIZZA_PARTY

I'm a little scared of being a slut.

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:51 PM

I've always agreed. You could go to the deepest, darkest, scariest part of the ocean, and you're only .10 miles underwater. I don't understand measurements in the game... When driving to the Alamo Sea, it feels like it's 20 miles out rather than 4

HeroicFails
  • HeroicFails

Heroic Since the start, Fail till i die!

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:33 AM

The distance feels warped because if you think about it, on the scale of a normal AI driver the map is Massive, because they obey the traffic laws, follow the roads, slow down behind trucks that arnt going as fast as the max speed. But as a player, you are going to speed down the highway weaving in and out of traffic and oncoming lanes to get where your going, and hence why you are getting to your destination much faster, and you are passing the scenery much faster making you think that the map is smaller and less detailed, if you were to start from LSI (Los Santos International) and travel to Paleto Bay following all the road rules I guarantee you that it will take longer and make you realise how big the map is.

• UltraGizmo64 likes this

King Kapone
  • King Kapone

x N i g h t c a l l

• The Connection

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:57 AM Edited by King Kapone, 15 October 2013 - 12:58 AM.

If you go out of your way to mind the traffic laws, the game world feels a lot more massive than it is. It literally takes a half a day if not longer, in game, to drive from Downtown LS to Sandy Shores if you're doing the speed limit, stopping at red lights and trying to keep pace with cars on the highway instead of blowing past them. The miles feel accurate for the distance you're traveling in-game but look at it this way, real life Los Angeles is about 500 square miles as opposed to Los Santos at what? 12 to 15 square miles, IF that? Rockstar adopting a mileage system makes the game world feel small at times. It seems like they put some thought into it but couldn't figure out a better way to let us know how far an objective was.

dewan2000
  • dewan2000

Hustler

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:46 AM

The distance feels warped because if you think about it, on the scale of a normal AI driver the map is Massive, because they obey the traffic laws, follow the roads, slow down behind trucks that arnt going as fast as the max speed. But as a player, you are going to speed down the highway weaving in and out of traffic and oncoming lanes to get where your going, and hence why you are getting to your destination much faster, and you are passing the scenery much faster making you think that the map is smaller and less detailed, if you were to start from LSI (Los Santos International) and travel to Paleto Bay following all the road rules I guarantee you that it will take longer and make you realise how big the map is.

Im not saying the map is small, infact it does feel large. What I was trying to say is the ingame measurements of Miles seem way off.  Driving from LS to sandy shores the GPS says its roughly 3 miles, when infact it feels more like its 8.  Say the Speed limit is 70mph on the freeways, like in Cali. It takes less than a minute to go a single mile.  When you are ingame speeding well over 100mph, it takes well over a minute to traverse that said mile.

The ingame distance measurements seem warped in the game. Id like to see actual known measurements (such as character height or car length) stacked up against the ingame or map measurements.

lizardman563
  • lizardman563

Keep your eyes on the road and your hands up on the wheel!

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:06 AM

I agree. I'd say the total in game distance is atleast double what is actually said in the GPS. 

JonRenemy
  • JonRenemy

Greater Than Great

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:27 AM

I dunno.. I'm gonna test this cos when Michael did his Epsilon test of walking, I looked back and used my own real-life judgement of jog/running a mile, which is from my village to my neighbouring village, and one mile in GTA V definitely seems accurate to a real mile.

I'm gonna try it on the motorway because I definitely think 1 mile in-game takes less than a minute in a car going fairly, not even full, high speed.

Sweettooth187
  • Sweettooth187

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:31 AM

HerocFails and King Kapone DO make a good point. If I were to start somewhere here in Dallas, and pretty much drive 100+mph to...wherever, I'd probably get there really damn fast lol. I think the original curiosity though wasn't so much the time but the actual distance displayed. Even when speeding out there it seems like you're covering a lot more ground, hence my theory that the map is actually (and obviously) a lot smaller than in real life and they simply place things in a way that you start in one scenery and go to one that's the polar opposite, making everything feel foriegn and thus more distant. If they realistically tried to portray the distance between civilization and the desert you'd probably be looking at a map two or three times the size of GTA5's map in my opinion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users