» «
Photo

Blips - Game Mechanic Improvement

49 replies to this topic
DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:06 PM Edited by DaCosta, 15 October 2013 - 03:40 PM.

(Apologies for the length of post. Don't read if you don't care!)

(NB: Edits have been made to this post (and are marked) based on feedback.)

New Suggestion - "Blips" Mechanic Improvement.

My opinion is that the radar blips, constantly identifying player positions on the map and mini-map, is the primary cause of player conflict in GTA Online free-roam. The blips encourage players to head towards each other to interact and this interaction is mostly going to be violent.

This suits some players but does not suit others that wish to sometimes remain anonymous and do other things than survive relentless assaults or continuously attack others.

One suggestion would be to turn off the blips completely. This would make some very interesting changes (random encounters, hide and seek style car/foot chases, surprise attacks, stalking players, proper assassinations) but it might also result in an empty feeling map, where online players rarely notice other online players.

I've been considering changes that would not be too dramatic or impractical, requiring Rockstar to completely overhaul the game mechanics and code, and upseting players that are settled with the current system.

I'd suggest an improved system to the radar blips would be to have them locality and noise based.

This means that firstly, you can only see blips within your locality (i.e. say, a half square mile of your character.) So if you are driving around Los Santos, you cannot see players driving around the Alamo Sea.

Secondly, of these blips within your locality, some will still not be shown. These are players that are keeping anonymous. To do this, they need to behave "quietly". Those shopping, walking, checking their phone, driving slowly or cashing money at an ATM (for example) will be anonymous.

However, players that perform "loud" actions will show on the local map for a period of time. Loud actions would include firing your gun, driving fast (either over a fixed speed limit, or obeying current road speed limits), flying a helicopter (even wider range of detection, 1sq mile perhaps), crashing your car and being visible in a police "cone of vision". Basically any "loud" noise would be detectable while the noise is happening and for ten seconds extra, before the blip on the radar fades slowly out to invisible once again.

The result of this is that the mini-map (and main map) will reveal player locations only when they are being noisy and only to those within their vicinity. This will allow some players to cruise around the city, not firing their gun or getting a wanted level, and decrease the chance of them being slaughtered. Alternatively, it gives those looking for player vs player action (in free roam) an actual challenge to track and attack players, plus a reason to do so. Noisy players will be those escaping police, shooting citizens or robbing banks - all noisy actions.

Suddenly it would be a thrill to know that players you cannot see may be aware of your loudness. Remember, someone coming to thwart your "loud" bank robbery might be keeping anonymous themselves and sneak up on you but adversely in a resulting car chase, you could actually lose them through nifty driving and then hide out in an alley by keeping quiet. These are the kind of GTA experiences I was personally hoping for in online. The lack of constant blips would actually make the city seem so much more alive.

To finalise my system I would suggest Line of Sight also allows players to see their quarry on the mini-map. Only that player can see the blip whilst they remain in their view, and for a short while after (say 10 seconds) before vanishing.

Final exceptions: Players can manually choose to override the anonymous blip, should they want to stay visible at all times and simply fight allcomers. It would be the equivilent of them waging war on the city and everyone in it. And crew members blips show to other crew members at all times, as they are in constant contact. This gives crews another advantage, but that makes sense.

So the system would be as follows:

- Some actions, such as fast driving firing your gun and flying a helicopter, result in noise. Noisy actions result in your blip being identified to those within range.

- Police chases are loud actions. Your blip appears while you are within a cone of detection and "seen" by police. (Suggestion by Chev, below, and others.)

- Car crashes are a noisy action (kudos to Chaos-Elite.) Bumps and nicks don't show but major crashes, spin outs will display your blip during the event and for ten seconds.

- Players within the local vicinity can see the "noise" blip during the entire noise event and for ten seconds afterwards, before it fades to invisible.

- A player in your line of sight always shows as a blip, even if they aren't being "noisy".

- If you lose sight of a player they remain shown as a blip for ten seconds before vanishing out of sight (unless you see them again.)

- Walking, not firing your gun or making loud noise, results in your blip being invisible to all others, unless they have you in Line of Sight.

- Loud noises go undetected when no-one is within your local noise range.

- Players can choose to have their blip constantly shown by choosing to wage war on the city. This allows them to effectively start or join a free-roam death match, as current.

- Crew members blips always show to other crew members.

Personally, if R* considered making these changes, I'd see myself potentially playing the game for 3 or 4 years (which is what they want) but as it stands, I can't see me playing for more than a month, and always frustrated by the free-roam.

What are your thoughts on this system, and any flaws that mean it won't work (or be a better system than it currently is.)

• Strix aluco, Ren Fujin, Chaos-Elite and 1 other like this

Chaos-Elite
  • Chaos-Elite

Seeker

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:16 PM Edited by Chaos-Elite, 11 October 2013 - 03:20 PM.

Everything sounds good except for fast driving. I don't think driving should be involved in the system for a few reasons, mainly you couldn't identify a person/car by sound. The sound from all the cars driving fast in some places would blend together, but if a car crashes, spins out, bumps other cars, etc. I think that would be better, then it rewards good driving.

TommyKaira
  • TommyKaira

Crew Leader

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:16 PM

nice idea. someone who actually engrossed in thoughts!

I would actually add some things:

Players with bounty will always show up

If Crewmember or friends have players in the line of sight you can see them on the minimap too ( would encourage to play in teams)

If seen by police you can discover them on your map

Player cannot auto-aim on others, which are just discovered, therefore the first player can, so sneaking up to somebody will be rewarded

But all in all this would give the game some aspects they could easily implement considering the stealth skill and the noise circle which is already a feature.

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

Everything sounds good except for fast driving. I don't think driving should be involved in the system for a few reasons, mainly you couldn't identify a person/car by sound. The sound from all the cars driving fast in some places would blend together, but if a car crashes, spins out, bumps other cars, etc. I think that would be better, then it rewards good driving.

The reason for my fast driving mechanic was that it was simple and would allow a regular supply of blips to show (which I'm aware still needs to happen) but if not fast driving, then police attention (as stated by Chev, in post above.) The player blip is shown when either the player is in a police vision cone or simply has a wanted level. One or the other - I think I prefer vision cone.

And I would definitely like to add your amazing car crash idea. Perhaps not every little bump and prong but any considerable crash could name and shame the driver (usually me, lol :p) until they drive away and become anonymous again!

Also agree with Chev's point about bounties always showing up. Other current game mechanics (Lester hiding blips etc) would need to be adjusted for this system to be applied but that was always going to be the case.

Ren Fujin
  • Ren Fujin

Glamorous

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:49 PM Edited by Ren Fujin, 14 October 2013 - 05:54 PM.

Some very nice ideas DaCosta !

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one thinking the blip system has much room for improvement.
What's interesting is although we seem to share the same opinion - that the blip system is the primary cause of player conflict - your idea strays from what I suggested in my thread about possible Freemode improvement, which is nice : More ideas and solutions would potentially give Rockstar multiple options to achieve the balance we're all craving regarding this issue.

Your blip system based around sound is really cool. I could see it work well, but like Chaos-Elite, I'm not sure fast driving should be included. Hell, some NPCs actually drive quite fast ...

If that's ok with you, I'd like to add your idea to my topic, as I'm trying to gather awesome suggestions such as yours in one place, in hope of sending a solid wishlist to Rockstar. Of course you'd be duly credited :)

To finalise my system I would suggest Line of Sight also allows players to see their quarry on the mini-map. Only that player can see the blip whilst they remain in their view, and for a short while after (say 10 seconds) before vanishing.
This is genius. Would make it much more realistic, and very rewarding to those making their best to keep out of sight.

Personally, if R* considered making these changes, I'd see myself potentially playing the game for 3 or 4 years (which is what they want) but as it stands, I can't see me playing for more than a month, and always frustrated by the free-roam.

You and me both !

The way I see, the only lasting redeeming quality of the game will be Freemode in the long term (Because let's face it, missions will get repetitive at some point - the problem of any scripted activity), except I wouldn't count on it in its current form.

It needs an overhaul so it remains a balanced, deep and fun experience for years.

• Strix aluco likes this

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

Thank you and you are most welcome to add these ideas. For the record, I also agree with Chaos-Elite after a quick consideration of his views, re: driving fast.

The only issue remaining with the noise mechanic is whether players will be aware of each other enough - it is very important that players interact in free-roam often, for it to work. But I think the mission mechanics (and not the blips) should draw players together (with crate drops, bank vans and import/export vehicles etc) as often as possible to create meaningful interaction.

I don't care who gets credit (I'm sure others have expressed my ideas elsewhere too) but if these changes got made, then I'd be the happiest Los Santosian (?) around! :D

NudasPriest
  • NudasPriest

Midnight Toker

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:08 PM Edited by NudasPriest, 14 October 2013 - 09:11 PM.

This is spot on, that and a radius/vicinity based chat channel in the interaction menu, it kind of sucks having to either change your channel to something else and not hear the guy trying to get your attention before he decides you are a threat, or be forced to hear people robbing a liquor store across the map...

Get this sh*t sent to Rockstar, aren't they open to suggestions for GTA Online??? this would VASTLY improve the game in my opinion.

And while the 

Spoiler
ability to mask your blip on the radar doesn't lose its usefulness, I think it would be good to be able to pay more money for a longer amount of time hidden from the radar.

yhdoit
  • yhdoit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

So how do we get thi to rokstar? i know they have an email somewhere for suggestions on how to improve online somewhere but do we have to start a ptition or something?

i think thi would improve the game consierably. making this sort of thing optional would sort the players who want to play properly from those who like to make chaos and everybody would be happier.

the lescter perk could be more useful if you have a bounty on you or something and you wish to have it taken off you for a while or completely depending on how much you want to pay. but i think having blips on all the time just ruins the gamepley.

Strix aluco
  • Strix aluco

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

You should suggest all of this to Rockstar if you haven't already done so. 

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

Thanks. Another good suggestion is this one: http://gtaforums.com...prove-freemode/

I'm still looking if there are any further flaws that need ironing out so that the entire system can be put in a detailed fashion as a suggestion.

R* said they will be opening a forum (where they will no doubt poll current opinions and tally a virtual petition) and there is also an email address to send to.

Any change of this scale would not be a quick change. It would disrupt the current play and might only come into fruition on a potential GTA: Online Next Gen, or as an Enhanced Mode addition.

So, at the moment, it's best just to compile opinions and try to make the most considered suggestion that hopefully covers every angle. Then it will be easier to sell. :D

• Ren Fujin likes this

obsidian_eclipse
  • obsidian_eclipse

Thug

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

in GTA iv I used to enjoy playing with blips switched to distant only, you could select it when you hosted a map. As you got close, within a city block or two the blips would disappear. it made chases much more interesting, you could take alley ways and loose tailgaters or even turn the tables completey.. it evened out combat between those on foot and those in buzzards who tended to blast maddly at you, at least you got chance to hide and change location before a torrent of rocket fire, a few times I managed to get behind them and come around the side with a pistol and take out the pilot with a pot shot.. much more fun than omnipresentness.. you could blend in with npcs too but as soon as you opened fire your blip lit up.. they should bring it GTA v
  • Zeta87 and DaCosta like this

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

in GTA iv I used to enjoy playing with blips switched to distant only, you could select it when you hosted a map. As you got close, within a city block or two the blips would disappear. it made chases much more interesting, you could take alley ways and loose tailgaters or even turn the tables completey.. it evened out combat between those on foot and those in buzzards who tended to blast maddly at you, at least you got chance to hide and change location before a torrent of rocket fire, a few times I managed to get behind them and come around the side with a pistol and take out the pilot with a pot shot.. much more fun than omnipresentness.. you could blend in with npcs too but as soon as you opened fire your blip lit up.. they should bring it GTA v

Yep, I'd like this too. Anything but the option enforced on us currently.

I like GTA:O but I don't love it. The potential is greater than the reality at the moment.

Trepsik
  • Trepsik

Cluckin Bell Nice!!

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

This and they should change Lester to revealing a particular person on the map.

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

OK, if the system defined in the top post was added then the game would need to bring people together. Here are my thoughts:

- Random Supply drops: A random crate drop appears to all players. Griefers would be welcome to get there first and not open the crate. Other players might turn up and find themselves being shot. This would be expected, so players would approach with caution, if they chose to approach at all. It's a risk/reward decision.

- Bounties: The bounty could cause the target to give off constant noise (be visible to all within locality.) However, to give them a fighting chance, it would allow them to see all other blips in their locality soon (because they are being hyper-paranoid.) This would be equivalent to the exact current blip system (except only locality based) but it would make sense for players to come for this bounty player and for players to be aggressive.

- Import/Export car: Same as the bounty system, the Import/Export car driver is visible to all within their locality but adversely they can see all others. There needs to be a method in place to stop people camping out at Simeon's, which appears to always be at the same place.

- Lester hide blip: To simply change to 'show blip'. Useful for finding a bounty or someone you want to attack.

There needs to be plenty of "come together" moments with just rewards for doing so. Then the updated blip system will be perfect while the city will be more lively than ever before!

Also, with an updated blip system, more people will carry their money (allowing it to be stolen), less people will hide in safehouses/LS customs, player killing will still be right in place but it will be structured and respected by all players. Less need for passive mode. Less constant dying if you want to lay low, so no worries on the hospital fees. Bad Sports can target those that drop out of sessions and not those that shoot your car etc. Less griefers because any grief incidents would be for better reasons (than just tally-kills etc). No spawn killing.

Quite a lot of benefits, I'm thinking...

Pitch~Black
  • Pitch~Black

Peon

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

Pretty much agree entirely, OP. Especially with your assesment that persistant player blips are the cause of much of the griefing. I like the idea of the blips being shown according to proximity, as that would make a lot more sense (how is it that when I am at the LS airport I can know exactly where a player is in Blaine County? Very unrealistic). 

I actually don't know how or if the stealth mechanic affects blips, but it should. Maybe that would give the stealth an actual use and impact in the game. Maybe going into stealth could greatly reduce the proximity detection of your blip dependant on skill level. Maxed out stealth would remove it completely.

Another poster suggested that bounties should keep a players blip revealed. I'm not in complete agreement with that. Perhaps it should increase the proximity of detection increasable by the amount of the bounty. Lester could also be given the ability to reveal all blips for a period of time (except those who paid him to hide thiers).

Anyway, just some of my own thoughts.

• DaCosta and Ren Fujin like this

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:28 PM

Pretty much agree entirely, OP. Especially with your assesment that persistant player blips are the cause of much of the griefing. I like the idea of the blips being shown according to proximity, as that would make a lot more sense (how is it that when I am at the LS airport I can know exactly where a player is in Blaine County? Very unrealistic). 

I actually don't know how or if the stealth mechanic affects blips, but it should. Maybe that would give the stealth an actual use and impact in the game. Maybe going into stealth could greatly reduce the proximity detection of your blip dependant on skill level. Maxed out stealth would remove it completely.

Another poster suggested that bounties should keep a players blip revealed. I'm not in complete agreement with that. Perhaps it should increase the proximity of detection increasable by the amount of the bounty. Lester could also be given the ability to reveal all blips for a period of time (except those who paid him to hide thiers).

Anyway, just some of my own thoughts.

Agreed 100% except that the blip must never be removed completely. Stealth could slightly decrease the detectable range but there must never be a position where players cannot detect other players at all.

...Then the griefers - and complaints - would return once again! :p

CHRSXIII
  • CHRSXIII

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

Absolutely agree with this post. All of these ideas need to be drafted into an email and sent to R* so they can understand abit more what the players want.
  • Ren Fujin likes this

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

all those things already happen in deathmatch mode, the place where you are supposed to do nothing but kill people.  Free roam isnt intended to be a deathmatch, lol!  clearly they have some tweaking to do in order to get players to understand this concept.

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

all those things already happen in deathmatch mode, the place where you are supposed to do nothing but kill people.  Free roam isnt intended to be a deathmatch, lol!  clearly they have some tweaking to do in order to get players to understand this concept.

Yeah. I was so keen to know what Rockstar were going to do with the free-roam part of online. I had already worked out that missions/heists would have to be in private lobby's (outside of free roam.) I remember having plenty of arguments with those that thought everything would happen in free-roam and they'd hate R* if it didn't. (I have to admit, I thought originally that races would happen in free-roam, but I can see now why they're kept separate too I suppose.)

But I was hoping that they wouldn't just allow the general free-roam mode to be unstructured and wild-west-like, which it is.

Now imagine in six months time. Presumably they'll have GTA: Online - Next Gen coming out. (It makes sense they will.) Next gen will be able to cope with more players - maybe 32 on a map. Maybe 64 - we can dream of more.

Now imagine that with everyone's blips shown. Good luck getting that haircut - Blam! Attempting to mod your car? I don't think so! Smash! You like to drive to the mission markers? No way! R.I.P! Use fast travel next time.

Yeah, basically if the game is going to evolve and become something longer lasting it needs to have a better core mechanic and free-roam is supposed to be the world we're living in. Not hiding in!

• Ren Fujin likes this

KemistiOMG
  • KemistiOMG

Science, Bitch!

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:23 PM Edited by KemistiOMG, 15 October 2013 - 06:23 PM.

every blip should be off the map except friends, crew and the players who has bounty on them

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

every blip should be off the map except friends, crew and the players who has bounty on them

The problem with this is there are only 16 players, so you probably wouldn't ever see anybody in the city!

There definitely needs to be a mechanism to see other players (especially to know if you are in danger) and also a system to bring players together. Otherwise GTA: Online would be very stale!

sultangris
  • sultangris

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

Yeah. I was so keen to know what Rockstar were going to do with the free-roam part of online. I had already worked out that missions/heists would have to be in private lobby's (outside of free roam.) I remember having plenty of arguments with those that thought everything would happen in free-roam and they'd hate R* if it didn't. (I have to admit, I thought originally that races would happen in free-roam, but I can see now why they're kept separate too I suppose.)

But I was hoping that they wouldn't just allow the general free-roam mode to be unstructured and wild-west-like, which it is.

Now imagine in six months time. Presumably they'll have GTA: Online - Next Gen coming out. (It makes sense they will.) Next gen will be able to cope with more players - maybe 32 on a map. Maybe 64 - we can dream of more.

Now imagine that with everyone's blips shown. Good luck getting that haircut - Blam! Attempting to mod your car? I don't think so! Smash! You like to drive to the mission markers? No way! R.I.P! Use fast travel next time.

Yeah, basically if the game is going to evolve and become something longer lasting it needs to have a better core mechanic and free-roam is supposed to be the world we're living in. Not hiding in!

It will require much tweaking and balance, clearly they have to make the penalty for killing other players in free roam a little higher or something.  I do not think they should remove it all together but it seems nearly every server has become a f*cktard fest just running round killing each other in free roam. Passive mode does nothing but ensure your death, if youre in a car they can still shoot you and if youre on foot they run you over, they didnt seem to really think it through or test this theory, pretty much feels to me like this game is in beta test mode right now, lol! No one hardly joins missions and ive never got more than 5 in a race or any mission allowing more.  hell its hard to find just one sometimes unless you have friends or crew! I was flying around in a chopper and its pretty hard to tell where people are cause they blend in so well, or dont even show on your screen due to the crappy processing ability of consoles or something until you are right on top of them, and even then it takes a while for the name to pop up so you know its a person for sure, lol!  Maybe they should just make the whole thing deathmatch mode where the icons disappear and stealth actually works, cause its pretty dumb that in missions and such suppressors and stealth work but in free roam they dont really do sh*t.  

Its pretty f*cking stupid that you can only have one house/garage, you should be able to own them all, cause later on in the game everyone will be running into each other constantly all the time cause everyone will have the same house, except for gamers smart enough to see this and buy a crappy one, but then they dont have as many parking spots.  I forsee many problems, that need to be addressed.   everyone living in the same spot isnt gonna work too good if it says a retard deathmatch fest, lol!  I so do love how people go after 1K bounties like its the best money ever dying 3 times in the process and losing 6K all while completely ignoring the fact they could be playing missions paying 25K, lol!

yhdoit
  • yhdoit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

The problem with this is there are only 16 players, so you probably wouldn't ever see anybody in the city!

There definitely needs to be a mechanism to see other players (especially to know if you are in danger) and also a system to bring players together. Otherwise GTA: Online would be very stale!

Could we start some sort of petition/spam them with emails for the blip thing? I think there should be an option to play in a free roam server where blips are enabled and another where blips are disabled like in gta 4. Its the best soluton, best of both, and since they have done it before it is reasonable.

007_eleven
  • 007_eleven

The 80's are never over!

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:14 PM

Blips: Near, Far, Always on, Off. Worked in GTA IV. Trouble is by having free roam lobbies not being player hosted that would divide the playerbase even more than the current split of Autoaim, Free Aim and Traditional. Best to have a system that incorporates all ideas like the OP said. 

Also, don't excessively spam R*, the pissed off employee who has to read emails from millions of players who all think they know what's best for their game will most certainly not pass your suggestions on if you do that. Send an email, start a petition, keep getting more discussion and support and lay out your ideas into a few dot points that are very clear.

• Ren Fujin likes this

Ren Fujin
  • Ren Fujin

Glamorous

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

Well, I've been putting together a list of suggestions to improve Freemode in this topic, like a Blip : Far setting, between others. The idea is to gather as much ideas and feedback as possible in the form of a list so we could send it to Rockstar later on. Please consider having a look at it, and taking part in the discussion :)

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:42 PM

It will require much tweaking and balance, clearly they have to make the penalty for killing other players in free roam a little higher or something.  I do not think they should remove it all together but it seems nearly every server has become a f*cktard fest just running round killing each other in free roam. Passive mode does nothing but ensure your death, if youre in a car they can still shoot you and if youre on foot they run you over, they didnt seem to really think it through or test this theory, pretty much feels to me like this game is in beta test mode right now, lol! No one hardly joins missions and ive never got more than 5 in a race or any mission allowing more.  hell its hard to find just one sometimes unless you have friends or crew! I was flying around in a chopper and its pretty hard to tell where people are cause they blend in so well, or dont even show on your screen due to the crappy processing ability of consoles or something until you are right on top of them, and even then it takes a while for the name to pop up so you know its a person for sure, lol!  Maybe they should just make the whole thing deathmatch mode where the icons disappear and stealth actually works, cause its pretty dumb that in missions and such suppressors and stealth work but in free roam they dont really do sh*t.  

Its pretty f*cking stupid that you can only have one house/garage, you should be able to own them all, cause later on in the game everyone will be running into each other constantly all the time cause everyone will have the same house, except for gamers smart enough to see this and buy a crappy one, but then they dont have as many parking spots.  I forsee many problems, that need to be addressed.   everyone living in the same spot isnt gonna work too good if it says a retard deathmatch fest, lol!  I so do love how people go after 1K bounties like its the best money ever dying 3 times in the process and losing 6K all while completely ignoring the fact they could be playing missions paying 25K, lol!

Lots of good points. The game would certainly need a lot of tweaking and re-balancing [to incorporate a change to the blips system] but then again I think the balance is way off at the moment, since launch, so that will be necessary anyway.

I know Rockstar will be making changes, and they'll be gathering feedback right now. Just very interested to see if they can make the game something unique and special.

BumpyJohnson
  • BumpyJohnson

Original Gangsta

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:13 AM

I would agree 100% with no blips but I'd rather be able to see where the trolls are.  I think far blips is best.  You can see everyone's blips when they are far from you but not when they are close.  I think visible blips outside of sniper range is good.  The only blips I think should be on the map at all times are your crew's.

• Ren Fujin likes this

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Updated suggestion.

(No need to comment, (or read, lol) - Just keeping it here for reference and feedback is always appreciated.)

Noise-based "blips"

The issue with GTA: Online's Free Roam

Free-roam is our central lobby to GTA: Online, where we can interact with other players and also conduct our own affairs all in an "anything goes" environment of freedom and choice.

At the moment, there is no privacy in GTA: Online, as your player blip is always marked for the attention of all players in your server session.

I feel that this alone is the cause of much of the problems people express on the forums, such as griefing, losing too much cash from being killed, unfairly being labelled a 'Bad Sport', spawn killing, and an ineffective passive mode.

This change to the "blip" system would improve heavily on all aspects of the above criticisms, in my opinion, while also making Los Santos a much more colourful, vibrant, exciting and interesting city.

Proposed change

• 'Blips' do not appear on the map, or the mini-map, by default.
  • Some actions result in noise. Noisy actions result in your blip being identified to those within range.
  • Noisy actions include things such as firing your gun, crashing your car or flying a helicopter.
  • Police chases are noisy actions. Your blip appears to all within range while you are within a cone of detection and "seen" by police.
  • Car crashes are a noisy action. Bumps and nicks don't show but major crashes and spin outs will display your blip.
  • Players within the local vicinity (within a certain radius of your character) can see "noise" blips during the entire noise event and for ten seconds afterwards, before they fade back to invisible.
  • A player in your line of sight always shows as a blip, even if they aren't being "noisy". The game is quite generous in identifying 'line of sight' blips.
  • Walking, not firing your gun or making loud noise, results in your blip being invisible to all others, unless they have you in Line of Sight.
  • Loud noises go undetected when no-one is within your local noise range.
  • Crew members blips always show to other crew members.

Potential Issues

Ghost Town

A concern with the proposed system is that players will simply never find or see other players.

When you enter the game there will probably be no other blips on the map. This might make it feel like the map is empty of players and you are alone.

Furthermore, driving round, you may not find other players as there is no way to identify their positions unless they get chased by police or make noise.

To correct this, Rockstar simply need to ensure players regularly come together through the mission mechanics and key landmark locations that already exist in GTA:O. Using existing mechanics such as 'Import/Export car', 'bounties' and 'crate supply drops' gives the incentive for players to come together in a far more logical way than currently exists. If Rockstar up's the social dynamic with more mechanisms that draw people together for a tempting reward, against a calculated risk, then it will be a far more interesting incentive for PvP interaction.

An idea: They could make it possible for a player to set a challenge to other players to claim a reward (from their money) by marking a position on the map and daring others to come and try and collect. Game mechanics like this would allow players to be drawn into areas in free-roam while others might choose to get on with their own business. Of course, for surviving the player challenge, for a specified time limit, they might claim their reward plus the money doubled by the game.

Ships by night

When players are not making "noise" there is a concern that players will pass by each other, like ships by night - i.e. They will never meet or know they were near.

Currently, when another player comes near, most people move into defensive positions and both players are fully aware that the other is close.

The proposed system defines that both players will not necessarily know that they are close to another. However, a generous Line of Sight mechanic would allow one, or both players to become aware and their reaction from there would be completely up to them.

Also, if a player crashed their vehicle or made noise, it would provide awareness to other players within their vicinity, giving them knowledge of their position.

The Line of Sight mechanism would be key to allowing players in a very close proximity to be aware of each other but it would also allow one player to gain an advantage of sneaking up on another, which currently does not exist.

Rule and Dominate

Many players want to play GTA V to rule and dominate the map. There should definitely be an option to play on 'Always show blip' servers.

Additionally, players that want to cause grief to others would be welcome in an enhanced-blip server. This is because their interaction with unwilling participants would be far less due to the blip system.

Yes, it would still be infuriating to be shot while having a hair cut, or be trapped in an LS Customs by a stalker, but the chances of this happening diminishes by a huge amount. With less orchestrated grief, players will start falling into a false sense of comfort. People won't feel the need to bank so frequently, or to hide in safe-houses.

But with free-roam set pieces and hot spots, bringing people together, players would still be able to attempt to rule and dominate the map.

Conclusion

By simply modifying the blip system and encouraging people together through events and hot-spots, the game would not only improve greatly but it would heal a lot of the complaints that are aimed at this game currently.

The Bad Sport system could be heavily drawn back. Far less people would be upset with their personal car being destroyed, by being spawn killed, or by being killed over and over again and losing all their cash. To escape grief they would be able to simply walk/drive away, leaving the aggressor to have to track them down to further incur grief, which might be more trouble than its worth. It would be an option if you wanted to fight back or not.

Passive mode would become unnecessary. Leave your character in a side alley, or other sensible quiet place, and it is unlikely you will be found (and killed.) Players will feel more comfortable to take those calculated risks, and to carry cash upon them as a result (particularly if they remove banking in bank notes through an online website!)

But best of all, this system would open up all new possibilities that are not present in GTA: Online currently. At the moment it is impossible to have a high-speed car chase where you lose your pursuer. It is impossible to surprise your opponent by flanking them in a fire-fight. You cannot sneak up on someone and mug them for their money. All this would be possible with a change to the blip system and it's not that much of a major change - just modifying the current system and then tinkering with all the other mechanics, such as bounties and Lester blip-hide.

With a possible Next Gen GTA: Online, it is important that Rockstar get the game in shape to last for years and also the possibility of lots more players on the map. The proposed blip system above would comfortably allow 128 players to live (and die) together in the map in a world that wasn't about grief, but about fun.

• Ren Fujin likes this

hallkjell
  • hallkjell

High roller

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Great post, very good suggestions, I absolutely think this would improve the game by miles. The system in its current state really does invite to follow player-blips like cats and lasers, and it always results in shooting.

Submit to Rockstar!

aR2k
  • aR2k

Playa

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

Been thinking about something like this myself, but you put it down nicely!

I suggest sending it in to rockstar so they can evaluate, not only are these good ideas, they would allso make the stealth function etc more useful.

you got my +1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users