Quantcast

» «
Photo

A review of GTA:O

12 replies to this topic
LanOsb133
  • LanOsb133

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:33 PM Edited by LanOsb133, 11 October 2013 - 02:37 PM.

I am going to cover my experience in GTAO (102 hours) that I have had from waiting til 3am for the title update til my TV broke a few hours ago.

So starting things off, I watched southland til 3am waiting for the title update on Oct. 1st.  My friend messaged me (a guy ho had a 25 k/d in GTA4) while I was watching shows on my PC so I knew the update was up.  A quick restart of GTA and I was downloading the update.  It was 3:23am when I finished making my character and loaded into the first race.  I spent anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes waiting to get connected for that fist race (So many impatient f*cks leaving instead of waiting made this take much longer than it should have.)

The irst thing I noticed when I the race launched was how the cars felt a little bit more slidey.  (maybe it was the weed, lack of sleep or just my imagination but I feel that the cars in GTAO feel a little bit different then GTA5)  I finished the race in first place against 3 other players and instantly felt good about it.  A great way to start off a brand new online experience.  I went on to finish the tut missions and was very pleased with how the game acted.  The AI cars are still pretty buggy and so are the cops (In a good way, I'll explain in a little) but all in all, the NPC's acted with little to no lag and the hitboxes and hit detection were spot on (I have never had any problems with hit detection in GTAO).

It was weird having to adjust to not slowing down when you change the radio station or switching weapons, and I honestly wish GTA5 hadn't had put that slowmotion effect in.  About midway through the day (5pm or so) I had made a lot of progress in the game, and invited a few friends to the party (that I was supposed to play with all day.)  Lucky us, my friend got the first race not starting glitch...  At first I was quite pissed that he couldn't get in but then I remembered that R* had predicted to make $2 billion dollars off ALL their games by March of 2014 (that's 6 months from release.) so with them making 1 billion by day 3 I knew that the servers were not going to be good (hence why I stayed up til 3am to make sure I got my spot.)

I know a bunch of you are going to say "R* should have had more servers." "They should have beta tested for glitches" "The shouldn't have released a unfinished product."  And you would be an idiot trying to give you're two cents on a topic you know nothing about.  They beta tested online, but NO amount of testing could prepare them for their world record sales.  Sure they should have pushed the release back, but I think they thought hey could handle the massive amounts of players (Boy were they wrong.)

So with all the glitchiness of GTAO I still found it very fun.  I had reached rank 54 legit with a friend I had made at level 20ish and was absolutely loving the game.  I had got Bad sort after a bounty was placed on my head and absolutely hated the system.  3 hours before my bad sport was gin to be lifted I lost my character (this was in patch 1,02.)  I quit for days then came back and made a new character in slot 2.  After being f*cked over by R*, i checked my friends stats to see what level he was and he was 102 when I had finally made my new character.  I figured that he had farmed his level once I lost my character so I decided to farm myself back up to what level I *SHOULD* have been if the servers hadn't f*cked me over.

Farming was boring but I got myself back up to my previous rank then gave myself a few extra ranks on behalf of R*.  (I somewhat calculated the XP curve and estimated my XP per day and then gave myself the days I had wasted waiting for R* to email me back about my character.)

So where do I stand now? Now I have everything unlocked (after days and days of playing missions and death matches and whatnot.) and I will keep playing it for years to come.  For all of you kids who say "Whats the point of having everything unlocked?  Won't you get bored?" go back to CoD.  GTA isn't about unlocks, its about doing what you want in an open world.  If I could play GTA:SA for years on a 100% completed character I think I will be okay with having everything unlocked.  Replay value in GTA:O does not and should not come from unlocks and ranks, it should come from the imagination and the fun of having an open world game.

Summary

What is wrong with GTA:O?

- AI glitchiness

Things like you driving infront of police but them not being able to see you, or cars darting out infront of you and being battle tanks throwing you across the street.

- Farmers.

You get level 120+ who can't even kill level 20's.  While its nice to see all these CoDfaggets derping around not knowing how to play a TPS, it does suck in a sense because there is very very very very very little challenge in playing this game.  Mos of the kids are easy pickings.

- Character lag.

Some servers have really bad character lag which make the controls feel clunky to where in free aim (the only way this game should ever be played online) you try to aim right, the character takes a 1/4 to 1/2 a second to start the movement causing a lag making it VERY difficult to fine tune your cross hairs.  (no I am not bad at aiming, I have been playing on a controller since I was a little kid)

- Horrible cover system

Its just horrible.  Sometimes you guy wants to randomly get up, other times he refuses to say in cover, and sometimes instead of moving to the next cover over he runs across the map to get to cover...

- No crouch.

The stealth button should also toggle crouch instead of the bend over shooter stance.

- Catchup and driving mechanics

GTA IV had better driving because it was more reaistic and took MORE SKILL to drive.  i they would have kept those mechanics in game, finding a good getaway driver would be necessary for the coming bank heists.  As it stands, anyone can be  get away driver.  And catch up in races?  So now im being punished for being a faster and better driver than everyone else?  Nice.

- Not being able to save emergency vehicles/vans/trucks/etc.

Seriously?  I just spent 400k on an apartment and you are saying I can't sav a lot of the cool vehicles?  "Specialty vehicles" should take up a spot in the garage but only be found in the vehicle menu pop down thing like in the single player garage.

- Cross hairs on AR's and MG's and simple CH.

Add in a button to make it so we can pick traditional GTA, Complex and simple.  Traditional GTA giving all weapons the Pistol/SMG complex crosshair. Also the simple is WAY to big of a dot.  Its useless but with an easy edit in the next update this could be reduced in size making it at least an alternative to the complex

What is right with GTA:O

Everything that wasn't mentioned above.  It would take me too long to write out what it all is, but this is one of the mos beautiful games to ever hit this gen, and it will yield years of entertainment.

What would I like to see?

A DLC with LS looking like the cities in The Last of Us, with ammo being much more expensive, very few running cars and the running cars would need gas to work (so that we don't have everyone running around in cars)  No blimps on he minimap in freemode with this DLC as well as some new weapons, clothes and other things.  NPC's would be scarce and dangerous (shooting at you on sight 30% of the time, and only seeing NPC's once every 30 minutes or so.)  All the electricity off making the city darker at night.  I think with this addition, I would never have to play another game again.  Its sad to see such a beautiful world with so much detail into every back ally not being seen becuse everyone wants to race around in their multimillion dollar cars around the city.

TL;DR

Best game to ever come out (besides Fo3)  With a few minor glitches at launch, peoples panties are tied in knots over things they don't understand and R* is doing their best to get things smooth.  The game will really start to shine in the coming weeks and the few minor dislikes about the game don't even matter because of how many things they did right.

Edit:  Sorry for the misspells, my keyboard is running out of batteries.

LanOsb133
  • LanOsb133

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

inb4 tldr

Pinnkiepie
  • Pinnkiepie

PIE

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

I'd also love to see new Weapons/armor unlocked by Doing Certain Things and Performing Well in certain Jobs/Activities/Tasks

Just so Level/Rank is not end all be all when it comes to Unlocking things (for Balance)

ColinM9991
  • ColinM9991

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

Everything you said about what's wrong with it, bang on.

They drastically decreased or removed a lot of GTA IV features, there is more of a Saints Row feeling to this game now.

Scumbaggah
  • Scumbaggah

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:40 PM

k013lg.gif

jman1954goat
  • jman1954goat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:43 PM Edited by jman1954goat, 11 October 2013 - 02:45 PM.

good review  loved the post but no need to insult cod which is not about the unlocks either   why cant people love cod and other type of games too so tired of seeing cod as the punching bag of anything wrong in games     the cod fa**ots line was also completely uncalled for dude     be nice  not a douche

LanOsb133
  • LanOsb133

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:45 PM Edited by LanOsb133, 11 October 2013 - 02:48 PM.

CoD being a punching bag becuase little kids compare everything to it.  I stopped playin after CoD 5 because it was just the same game.  I played MW2, never bought it. and have played BO1 2 times and BO2 because my friend brought it over one day. 

I have nothing against CoD besides the fact that everyone thinks its the greatest game (because of its sales) and everyone tries to compare every game ever to it.

Also when I say CoD fa**ots, I am not speaking about everyone who has played CoD, I am talking about the little kids (and adults who act like kids) who talk about CoD in game chat and think they are good. or anyone who tries to compare this TPS against CoD.

jessos1
  • jessos1

CEO - Legue of Shadows.

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

What would I like to see?
A DLC with LS looking like the cities in The Last of Us, with ammo being much more expensive, very few running cars and the running cars would need gas to work (so that we don't have everyone running around in cars)  No blimps on he minimap in freemode with this DLC as well as some new weapons, clothes and other things.  NPC's would be scarce and dangerous (shooting at you on sight 30% of the time, and only seeing NPC's once every 30 minutes or so.)  All the electricity off making the city darker at night.  

As cool as that sounds I don't think it really would work on a GTA game, it sounds a lot like DAYZ. Which is defiantly my favourite MMO of all time.

Great review though! Pretty much exactly what I would write, but I couldn't be stuffed haha!

LanOsb133
  • LanOsb133

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:07 PM Edited by LanOsb133, 11 October 2013 - 03:08 PM.

By DayZ you mean ArmA 2 right?  DayZ is just a mod.  Also not like DayZ because no zombies.  Just PVPVNPC  So it would be more like a wasteland type of deal from ArmA.

And thanks, have nothing better to do now that my TV broke so I thought f*ck it might as well waste some time on writing a review.

bnicmc
  • bnicmc

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

p1ftv.jpg

RizV
  • RizV

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

And catch up in races?  So now im being punished for being a faster and better driver than everyone else

THIS! While all the fa**ots are wraping their cars onto the first tree and laughing at them I can feel and hear how my car gets slower and slower and slower. After that i see the first SOAB at my back and what happens? he PITs on me and im last... thats a f*cking disgrace

Crookid
  • Crookid

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

I agree with the faults, but I don't like your recommendations for DLC.

Gas for cars? NOCs randomly shooting you 30% of the time? No way. Some things just aren't fun, such as having to fill up your gas tank.

I'd rather them add ways to customize your apartment, add new things housing offers like options to add a helipad on the roof for extra money. Also more customizing options, clothes, tattoos, plastic surgery etc..

LanOsb133
  • LanOsb133

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

They will be adding in so much DLC.  This game is basically an MMO.  And the reason for Gas is to make it so people are driving around as much in the apocalyptic world like you see right now, making i fun to scavange for food and having to walk for 10+ minutes to get that item you really need.  I know it doesn't "sound" fun to walk for 10 minutes, but if you have ever played Arma or any huge game walking for hours to get one item is the most satisfying thing ever.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users