Photo

Some thoughts from a forum n00b

13 replies to this topic
BrightonGTA
  • BrightonGTA

Snitch

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hi all, new to the forum and would like to give my thoughts on my GTA online experience so far. 

I was one of the unlucky few who suffered character deletion (four times!) and this was very frustrating, but I appreciate how much of an ambitious project GTA online is, and the first weeks were always going to be rocky.

I am now level 19 with my fifth character, and following R*'s advice and with the new patch the character deletion problem seems to be over.

I am one of the players who is mostly in passive mode in freemode because I have absolutely no interest in killing or being killed randomly, except when necessary (deathmatches in particular are great fun) - and to be honest I don't understand why some people find it fun to ruin other peoples online experiences. Part of the fun of freemode is meeting new players to work together and/or compete with.

I think the bad sport system is a good way to discourage people from trolling in freemode and to play it as it was intended, although it does need tweaking. 

Secondly, I see a lot of people who like to "farm" or try to level and earn money as quickly and efficiently as possible - I understand the sense of achievement from this, but I feel anyone who does this is really wasting this amazing experience by turning it into a chore, rather than something that is fun. I am level 19 already and have nearly enough for a top quality apartment after just a couple of days - just by doing random jobs, trying new things and having fun with friends - I really don't think GTA online requires you to do the same mission over and over, because the money and levelling seem to come naturally.

Thirdly, I see mixed opinions about the benefits of micro-transactions on here. It is important to remember that in order for R* to have the resources to improve GTA online, it needs to make money. DLC is one way, but micro-transactions is another. Working for your money in game is one thing - but real money is the only way to make the game really go forward and so anyone who uses micro-transactions is doing more for the online community than someone who doesn't - it's something I might consider once GTA online releases new ways to spend money.

Finally I would like to urge you all to be patient with R* - because the best is yet to come. This was not intended to be a typical online game with a shelf life of just a few months, it is an ambitious long-term project which will have increasing amounts of content for as long as the community keeps it alive. We have a fantastic online world here, be patient & contribute and we will all reap the rewards in the end.

Thanks for reading to anyone who did.

• DaCosta and WhutsAGamertag like this

DoinItLikeDahmer
  • DoinItLikeDahmer

Mr. White - Commissioner

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

Well said for a "n00b". Your words not mine.

TommyKaira
  • TommyKaira

Crew Leader

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

this grammar...... Houser, is that you?

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

Always good to read a considered opinion. :^:

I hope that the best is yet to come because I feel that the world of Los Santos Online, with a lack of mechanism allowing differing styles of player to live happily together, may be irrecoverable. (Hope it's not!)

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

Thirdly, I see mixed opinions about the benefits of micro-transactions on here. It is important to remember that in order for R* to have the resources to improve GTA online, it needs to make money. DLC is one way, but micro-transactions is another. Working for your money in game is one thing - but real money is the only way to make the game really go forward and so anyone who uses micro-transactions is doing more for the online community than someone who doesn't - it's something I might consider once GTA online releases new ways to spend money.

There was never a need before, in them old days without microtransactions. Rockstar made enough money not to need said abomination. It`s the choices they make to make more money, but they don`t NEED it.

BrightonGTA
  • BrightonGTA

Snitch

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

There was never a need before, in them old days without microtransactions. Rockstar made enough money not to need said abomination. It`s the choices they make to make more money, but they don`t NEED it.

Rockstar may not be a normal business, but it is still a business.

In order for them to carry on employing full time staff to create, administrate and maintain GTA online it needs to make it as profitable as possible. 

For example, by making an economy which people would invest their real money into, it gives Rockstar a perpetuating financial incentive to add more to the game.

Micro-transactions may be what keeps GTA online alive and growing for years to come by financially supporting the project, as opposed to DLC which is essentially just a one off payment.

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

In order for them to carry on employing full time staff to create, administrate and maintain GTA online it needs to make it as profitable as possible. 

For example, by making an economy which people would invest their real money into, it gives Rockstar a perpetuating financial incentive to add more to the game.

Micro-transactions may be what keeps GTA online alive and growing for years to come by financially supporting the project, as opposed to DLC which is essentially just a one off payment.

Never questioned the idea of microtransactions and how they are used to make money. It is unclear to me how much of said money goes back into the actual game, but I will concede the best scenario = 100%.

I only said that it is never a need for it and it never was. It is just a gimmick to exploit the legendary greed and the need of people to feel superior for money. Hell, it MIGHT be a need for a game that sold so-so, not for such a record setter.

LuXor14
  • LuXor14

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

All this proper grammar and proper arguments. I like this topic. What a refreshing change of pace.

WhutsAGamertag
  • WhutsAGamertag

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

Microtransaction will not help you with too many things, most of the stuff i am interested in unlocks through tasks. Rockstar had quite a few metaverses to learn from i think they made an excellent job about keeping the currency valuable in the long run. Once they sorted out the exploited money the place is open for real players with real ambitions.

TommyKaira
  • TommyKaira

Crew Leader

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:17 PM Edited by Chev-Chelios, 11 October 2013 - 12:20 PM.

of course they need! Its a company, not some kind of charity. They have investors and if they would´nt get the earnings they made the investor would sell their investments and they will end up with no money.
Its all about business, it doesn´t work like a mom-and-pop grocery store.
I don´t feel so much pain about this microtransactions, you can always decide weather you buy it or not. And rockstars DLC were always worth the money, guess you have to play EA games with microtransactions to get your eyes opened

What I don´t understand is why they still keep their plans so secret while a lot of people are moaning and complaining about the current in game features. Neither do they exposing some of them ( stealth, bad sport actions etc.) nor do they announce their precisly future plans! I mean: everybody is looking forward to see "the best bit that will coming up", but their secrecy politics lacks of motivation for people which already bought a big appartement and somne cars. I know a lot which switched over to other games, because a lot of great released these weeks.
Hope Rockstar will very soon get more concrete!

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:30 PM Edited by Phyxsius-, 11 October 2013 - 12:30 PM.

of course they need! Its a company, not some kind of charity. They have investors and if they would´nt get the earnings they made the investor would sell their investments and they will end up with no money.
Its all about business, it doesn´t work like a mom-and-pop grocery store.
I don´t feel so much pain about this microtransactions, you can always decide weather you buy it or not. And rockstars DLC were always worth the money, guess you have to play EA games with microtransactions to get your eyes opened

What I don´t understand is why they still keep their plans so secret while a lot of people are moaning and complaining about the current in game features. Neither do they exposing some of them ( stealth, bad sport actions etc.) nor do they announce their precisly future plans! I mean: everybody is looking forward to see "the best bit that will coming up", but their secrecy politics lacks of motivation for people which already bought a big appartement and somne cars. I know a lot which switched over to other games, because a lot of great released these weeks.
Hope Rockstar will very soon get more concrete!

They WANT in your case, they still don`t NEED. But I get your point.

And about secrecy - it is always better to come and say "Look what I have brought thee!", rather than "Oops, we can`t deliver on the date we set / on the feature we announced - project delayed". In the second case you create unhappiness.

Chaos-Elite
  • Chaos-Elite

Seeker

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:32 PM

The thing that concerns me is if the 'suits' put pressure on the developers to design and mould the game around microtransactions at the expense of the players fun and the developers vision and design for the experience.

TommyKaira
  • TommyKaira

Crew Leader

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

They WANT in your case, they still don`t NEED. But I get your point.

And about secrecy - it is always better to come and say "Look what I have brought thee!", rather than "Oops, we can`t deliver on the date we set / on the feature we announced - project delayed". In the second case you create unhappiness.

Well, in this case we could start a discussion how much money you really NEED and what TO NEED means. But this would be off topic, so let´s drop that.

And sure, a disappointment is always bad but rather risking a delay than risking to lose players because a lot of them are disappointed or just too rich ( the so called farmer) for the current content. But this is just my opinion, I´m sure Rockstar has the experts for this estimation

Chris_GTR1
  • Chris_GTR1

Snitch

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

Didn't gta5 make like 1 billion its first 3 days?? Yea I'm sure they really needed to charge us for micro transactions like if that wasn't enough

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users