Quantcast

» «
Photo

So...Customizing Stolen Cars is Pointless?

26 replies to this topic
GuyInAHat
  • GuyInAHat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:43 AM

In single-player I stole an Injection with Trevor and put every available upgrade on it.  I then parked it in Trevors safehouse garage and made a new save point to run an experiment.  I went and sank the Injection in the lake and got Trevor killed.  When I respawned the car was neither in the safehouse garage nor in the impound lot.

Am I correct in assuming this means that customizing stolen cars is completely pointless because as soon as I lose / destroy the car or get killed in it all the money I spent on customization was for nothing?

MurdocisGod1990
  • MurdocisGod1990

Snitch

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:18 AM

In my experience, yes. I would only blow money on the characters personal cars because you will never lose those. It sucks but at least you can put a personal touch on their cars.... :whuh:

EVHWolfgang5150
  • EVHWolfgang5150

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:17 AM

Wish they would fix this. The impound lot will not impound a custom car!

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

ive had custom cars be impounded.....

pinky
  • pinky

"Tooled up and chibbin' ye, ya Bass".

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

Go take your own car out the garage, sink it in a lake, then go home and see if it has magically reappeared in your garage.

• MesaGrande and RPhilMan1 like this

Capten Morgan
  • Capten Morgan

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

ive had custom cars be impounded.....

Me to, many times..! i dont now what you guys do wrong but my stolen cars comes back one way

or the other,but it can take a day or so in game time... 

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

Every car can reappear in impound lot as long as it's still drivable. Are you surprised that car, which you sank in the lake isn't reappearing?

phatphil87
  • phatphil87

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

If its wrecked its wrecked just like real life

wtfjoklo69
  • wtfjoklo69

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:29 PM Edited by wtfjoklo69, 11 October 2013 - 12:30 PM.

It's because you sunk the car, instead of blowing it up or something

For some reason it seems that sinking your vehicle effects it being sent to the impound

Edit;typo

Haydn
  • Haydn

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:32 PM Edited by Haydn, 11 October 2013 - 12:32 PM.

Try buying a car from the internet and a motorbike, enter your garage and they're both there. Take the bike out for a spin, maybe try a few stunt jumps, wreck the bike. Go back to your garage to take the car for a spin and *bam* they're both gone! This happens to me everytime I try it, such a waste of money!

SHarm
  • SHarm

Reincarnation of Tommy Vercetti

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Is the OP like not all there? Once it's out of the garage it's out of the garage, like in every other GTA game it has to be in the garage for it to stay there...lol some players.
  • RPhilMan1 likes this

Glenni91
  • Glenni91

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:57 PM Edited by Glenni91, 11 October 2013 - 01:58 PM.

Same happened in San Andreas, if you customized a car that was either stolen, OR bought from the import/export garage, saved it, and then crashed it on your accord, then it's your loss, that simple. Back up a save of it if you are so afraid of losing it.

EVHWolfgang5150
  • EVHWolfgang5150

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:01 PM

Mine never seams to show up in the impound after you leave it. What am I doing wrong then?

GuyInAHat
  • GuyInAHat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

Is the OP like not all there? Once it's out of the garage it's out of the garage, like in every other GTA game it has to be in the garage for it to stay there...lol some players.

You sir, are wrong.  This is quoted straight out of the GTA V manual:

Cars in Grand Theft Auto can be customized at any of the Lost Santos Customs shops, each of which is marked on the map. Drive in and choose from all the customization options available for that vehicle. Once a character has customized a car, he will take ownership of it.

However, I've discovered where I went wrong.  You can't save the vehicles in a safehouse garage to have it work like this.  Instead you have to have purchased a property that has a garage.  Also from the manual:

Player characters can own any vehicle in Grand Theft Auto V as long as they have appropriate storage for it. To purchase new cars they must first own a garage, boats can only be bought if there is a place to dock them, and a hangar is required for aircraft. If an owned vehicle is destroyed it will re-appear at any residential property that the character owns with a garage (note that this does not include safe houses). If an owned vehicle is lost, stolen, or abandoned, it will be impounded. To retrieve impounded vehicles the character must pay a fine of $250 and collect the vehicle.

K20
  • K20

Woooo-rah

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:11 PM

i customised Trevors Jeep and i lost it... it reappeared at his home. and it there customised every time. what i want to know is if i destroy it, will it re spawn at Trevors house as the customised version. or as the original?

GTAction99
  • GTAction99

R*

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:14 PM

i customised Trevors Jeep and i lost it... it reappeared at his home. and it there customised every time. what i want to know is if i destroy it, will it re spawn at Trevors house as the customised version. or as the original?

It will spawn as the customized one.

EVHWolfgang5150
  • EVHWolfgang5150

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

I customized a car, put it in the garage. Saved game, took it out and left it s a test. It dissapeared and did not appear in the impound. This happens regularly. What am I missing here?

SHarm
  • SHarm

Reincarnation of Tommy Vercetti

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

That's what the OP has said, he said he saved it in a safe house garage, which obs is answer that once it's taken out you never get it back.

EVHWolfgang5150
  • EVHWolfgang5150

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

So don't use the garage at all for a car you customize so it will get impounded. Makes no sense.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:08 PM

All my stolen custom cars appear at the impound, what is annoying to me is every time I steal a car it will appear at the impound lot, even if I haven't modified it, because I steal quite a lot of cars they all end up at the impound lot and I eventually lose my customized car because the impound can only store 3 cars

EVHWolfgang5150
  • EVHWolfgang5150

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

I must just be unlucky

EVHWolfgang5150
  • EVHWolfgang5150

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:16 PM

I did some messing around. It seams I can get the car back as long as I don't park it previously in a safe house garage.

MesaGrande
  • MesaGrande

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:18 PM

Kb2084 You can come destroy my jeep if you know what I mean : D

I don't know what I mean

GuyInAHat
  • GuyInAHat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:18 AM

After hours of experimentation I've figured it out.  I've tested it again and again and it works just like the manual says, in single player.

There are garages all over town that each character can buy, garages that are not tied to safe houses.  You just have to put your customized vehicle in one of those purchased garages immediately after you customize it and not in a safe house garage.  If you then take that customized vehicle out of the purchased garage and abandon it somewhere it will be in the impound the next time you load the game and it will retain your customizations.  I'm not sure how long it takes for it to go to the impound if you don't exit and restart the game, though I've read of other players having to wait several in-game days.

So in essence, the impound is your customized stolen-vehicle garage, so long as you have put that vehicle in one of those non-safehouse garages before taking it out and abandoning or tearing it up.  You just have to exit and reload the game for it to show up there.  Gone are the days of causing mass mayham and then losing all that progress / kill count / stars evaded because you had to reload from a save to get your aweseome vehicle back.

The impound can only hold 2 vehicles so I'm guessing that, as some other players have said, if you already have 2 vehicles in the impound and you abandon/destroy your customized vehicle you lose the customized vehicle, though I've yet to test that part.

Another thing I've yet to test is destroying the vehicle with a grenade, though I'd bet it would work just the same since I can do mass amounts of damage to the vehicle and it still goes back to the impound. It doesn't work if you sink the vehicle in water though, at least not in my experiment.

Still up for experimentation:

1. If you have 2 vehicles in the impound and you abandon a customized vehicle, does the customized vehicle, being owned, take the spot of one of those 2 that are already in the impound (and probably not owned) or do those original 2 take priority.  (And the related question that seems to be more a bug than something that can be experimented on, why do stolen non-owned vehicles show up in the impound?)
  2. How long does it take for the customized vehicle to show up in the impound if you don't exit and reload the game?
  3. Further experimentation on sinking a vehicle in water is needed as I only tested it once after buying the garage and that was so many 'experiments' ago that I don't remember if I already had 2 vehicles in the impound when I did it.

NightSpectre
  • NightSpectre

Academy Apocalypse

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:20 AM

Go take your own car out the garage, sink it in a lake, then go home and see if it has magically reappeared in your garage.

This is a video game.

kansasdude
  • kansasdude

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:32 AM

I haven't tried this yet but If you have a iFruit app and while your in the car load up the app>west coast customs and personalize a tag (if you haven't already) than tap order and after a while you'll get a message on your phone telling you your order is ready, go to (I think) any west coast and when you come out, you'll have the tag on your car and it'll be yours so you can sink/destroy your car and it'll respown........I haven't tried this though

kasa
  • kasa

Thug

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:55 AM

its just so stupid Rockstar gave us a car, they take all the place for my other vehicles, if I want my new one I have to get it all the way from some other garage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users