Photo

GTA SA Countdown in 2003/2004

17 replies to this topic
TheWgames
  • TheWgames

Waiting so long...

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:58 PM

Is there anybody of you guys who had a hype about GTA SA like GTA V?

Please tell me how you felt back then.

There wasn't any youtube before 2005, so how did you see the trailers?

I didn't know about GTA back then, so unfortunately I don't have a story...

NADOLNY
  • NADOLNY

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

I saw the trailers @ rockstar's site...

I was hyped as f*ck. 

Good old days I didn't have to work...

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

I was 7/8 in 2003/2004, but I remember it quite well.

Most of the informations were coming from Rockstar's official site and the magazines (including screenshot scans). Even without YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and all that stuff, we were pretty well informed about everything what's been going on. A couple of days before the release date, some gameplay videos leaked onto the net.

In some sense, those were better days, I say. Today we have the HD technology, developers release screenshots from their games more than ever, the Internet is faster and it's much easier to watch those trailer and screenshots over and over again. It breaks the part of "I wonder how the game will look on my own TV", if you catch the meaning. We start to experience those games before they're even released. And that kinda ruins the magic, when you finally launch the disc with your most anticipated game.

• NADOLNY likes this

Aintgottime2bleed
  • Aintgottime2bleed

to weird to live to rare to die

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

Ye all game sites had this little trailer as ad or how you call it, this site was avaible and game magazines where pages full of gta sa i remember all this bs like there probally animals in sa lol ( only birds and fish ). I think there was 1 trailer with welcome to the jungle tune and the other ad but forgot song ( vehicle burns/explode and you see it with opposite view ( backwards, R3 on ps2 and 3 ) ) if im right cj wielded tier1 bazooka. I think gametrailers.com existed too. I was excited but very dissapointed when first played so i didnt bought it at release but eventually got it on xmas 2004, now i think its a classic.

BreezyAsHell
  • BreezyAsHell

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:03 PM

Saw the trailer on MTV. My uncle bought me this when I informed him during the advertise in tv. Yeah, had the game the first days. Played my f*cking childhood SA. Yeah, these were days.

TheWgames
  • TheWgames

Waiting so long...

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:58 PM

Thanks, guys, I really like to read people's stories of their younger years witing for that game.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

I remember the very first screenshots I saw:

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

That bicycle alone caused so much hyped in me.

• BlackScout likes this

King Andreas
  • King Andreas

(_)

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:52 AM

*Sigh*

I feel so left out, being that I (age 10 in 2003; age 11 in 2004) don't remember anything from those days.

kmg90
  • kmg90

Video games enthusiast

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:38 PM

For the months leading up to the San Andreas launch I created a binder of a bunch of printouts of pictures and articles on the game...

Still have it today, actually looked through it a few prior to GTA5 coming out, it was very nostalgic.

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:18 PM

I remember everybody talking about it, and one day my uncle bought me a game magazine that featured GTA SA because he wanted me to know about the game. I was already familiar with GTA III [which was a decent game] and Vice City [which I liked] and we discussed if SA was going to be an improvement over VC. I had no idea it was going to be as advanced as it was. Reading the game review it seemed to good to be true. I didn't get the game on release day but everybody was saying how great it was. Once I played it I was shocked that it was able to live up to the hype.

I do think that games now a days become a victim of their own hype. These games must claim to be the best game ever with EVERYTHING you want just to get attention in the online media world, but most fall short of what they claimed to offer because the media hype and marketing was overkill.

OP- If you are interested in seeing what the pre release info on GTA SA was like you can find a lot of info here.

http://www.gtasanand...reviews/ps2.php

http://www.gtasanand...ews/archive.php

BURNFIREFLY
  • BURNFIREFLY

Mentlegen

• Members

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

i saw it in a magazine, saw trailer on some site, i was very excited for the new vibe of gangs
  • SolidUSP* likes this

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

DON'T TOUCH ME YOU FILTHY CASUAL

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:58 AM

I was 11 when it came out. I got it Christmas Day 2004 and I remember being so excited to get it. I saw a few things online but I don't remember seeing any TV adverts.

AB0333
  • AB0333

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

The first GTA I played was VC (in August 2003), so I knew about GTA back then. However, as we (my bro and I) didn't have internet access, we were cut off from the rest of the world, so I didn't know sh*t about it. Next summer (2004), my cousin bashed into da haus while we were sleeping, turned on the PC and installed it.

I, well, I didn't know what to think. It was something abstract to me, and then BOOM - I have it on my PC.

I played the sh*t out of it. Completed it (storyline) once per year or more, for now 10 times in total.

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

crush on Amanda De Santa.

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:29 PM Edited by Wolfhuman, 31 October 2013 - 11:29 PM.

Ye all game sites had this little trailer as ad or how you call it, this site was avaible and game magazines where pages full of gta sa i remember all this bs like there probally animals in sa lol ( only birds and fish ). I think there was 1 trailer with welcome to the jungle tune and the other ad but forgot song ( vehicle burns/explode and you see it with opposite view ( backwards, R3 on ps2 and 3 ) ) if im right cj wielded tier1 bazooka. I think gametrailers.com existed too. I was excited but very dissapointed when first played so i didnt bought it at release but eventually got it on xmas 2004, now i think its a classic.

That animal part was funny, i was like what?

Probably the funniest bit.

United_Stealth
  • United_Stealth

Scooter brother

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

Ahhh, the good old sa days. I remember talking about it on some other forum all the time.

And when they released pieces of the map or a new trailer came out we would all be vury happy.

Anyone else also loved the video where the dodo was flying near mnt chilliad? I must have watched it 170247 times. 'Finally really flyable planes besides the ffin skimmer'

CarIJohnson
  • CarIJohnson

Grove Street Families

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:34 PM

I was hyped cause I got to play as me. 

• Gray Wolf and Forfunonly like this

markusizr
  • markusizr

:D

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:46 PM Edited by markusizr, 04 November 2013 - 07:53 PM.

i saw only review about that game later i got that game on ps2

M0B5TA
  • M0B5TA

#swag yolo lolz

• Members

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:12 PM

I used to check the rockstar website once a day and I remember they used to add new screenshots once a month. I was in high school when SA came out. I still remember that day like it was yesterday. I cut school that day to go to the game store to pick it up then I went back to school to show it off to everyone :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users