Photo

Lets go back to the start...

27 replies to this topic
erbalist
  • erbalist

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum but certainly not new to GTA and not new to Easter Egg hunting and being involved in gaming communities. I have only recently put down BL2 to come play GTA and was previously a very vocal and active member of that excellent community.

I absolutely love Easter Eggs in all forms and of course have been swept up by the Mount Chiliad Mural.
It has become though very difficult to keep up with all the latest theories and ideas, everything is so spread out now and i feel that the search has bcome too wide and focused on very small things so i thought we should all take a step back and evaluate what we are looking at and what we are looking for.

For this thread i would like to concentrate on deciphering the Mural, not anything else in the map that may or may not point towards clues, lets just look at the mural and try to figure out what exactly it has been put there for:

So far there seems to be 2 schools of thought.
1. It is depicting the exact requirements to get the UFO to appear at the top of Mount Chiliad
2. It is clues towards some other rewards like a jetpack or a flyable UFO

Now here is where it gets interesting, no doubt the mural aided the search for the UFO by appearing to point out the location of the glyohs which would appear to be depicting the conditions requires, some poeple have said the x's don't quite match up but all in all the mural helped people find the glyphs which in turn helped to find the UFO. But is that all it does, if so then the 3 pictures at the bottom seem completely pointless they have not in anyway helped.

Here is one problem i have with this, the commonly held opinion is that the picture at the top of the mural is a UFO. But the picture at the bottom left is quite clearly a UFO so why the massive difference between the 2? Couldn't rockstar have used the same picture down the bottom to indicate a UFO?

Which leads me on to the 3 pictures. One is clearly a UFO, one is clearly an egg and the other is most probably a jetpack.

Are these all rewards? I vividly remember the Egg from Vice City i haven;t seen it mentioned anywhere but in that game you could jump through a window and find yourself an actual easter egg? What if there is also one in this game?

The lines in the mural also seem interesting to me, a line straight down from the top to the egg, could thta indicate that the UFO on Mount Chiliad is just that an easter egg but the other two pictures being connected, could that mean that these are rewards?

Another thing that strikes me about this mural is just how big and obvious it is, you literally can't miss it Rockstar wanted people to talk about this and they wanted everyone who plays the game to notice it.

Now something about games teh last 5 - 10 years is that nothing stays secret for very long, with the advent of the interenet and in particular people pulling game files apart not many Easter Eggs stay hidden for very long. For that reason i think developers are being more and more crafty, GEarbox placed a gun in BL1 which had such a specific set of requirements it stayed secret for a few months and in fact it took a hint from a dev to even turn the community onto looking for it. I have heard mention that Rockstar would not have spent this much time and effort into keeping things hidden, well i disagree, Rockstar to me are the kings of Easter Eggs I feel that they would hate for everything to be found quickly and in fact they have stated they don't believe everything will ever be found (Seriously underestimating the dedication of gamers there though)So at this point the fact that no-one has found it does not mean it doesn't exist, it could be an unbelievably precise set of pre-requisites to find.

I realise that i haven't added anything i will tell you my theory just for clarity then we can get on with why i made this thread.

I personally belive that the mural does represent the mountain and i believe it depicts both where to find the glyphs and the tunnels that run through the mountain. I belive we need a yet undiscovered set of pre-requisites to open and said tunnels and i also belive that opening the mountain will only lead to more puzzles, solving them all will lead to one of 3 rooms. One with a flyable UFO, one witha chocolate egg and one with a Jetpack. But what i think is irrelevant lets try and get on with the facts in hand.

1. Who painted this mural, bearing in mind it must have been painted fairly recently given that it was painted after the cable car was built. Do we have a year for the cable car being built?

2. Why did they paint the mural? Was it to remind theirselves of information they already had as a way of passing it down through generations and guarding a secret only they knew or was it painted as they discovered clues as a way of trying to solve the mysteries we are trying to solve - if that is the case the mural may not hold all the information whoever painted it may not have ever solved it themself.

3. What is the mural trying to tell us. How to see a UFO at the top of Mount Chiliad? How to unlock some rewards? Both? Neither? Something else?

4. Is the mural linked to the other UFO's that have been found? If so, how? Are they even relevant, is the one at the top of Mount Chiliad even relevant. If the people who painted it were trying to decipher things as well isn't it possible that they have added things that are not relevant - they may have been cluctching at straws like we are?

5. What do the three pictures at the bootom represent and why are linked in that particular way. I think most people will agree what the pictures are off (UFO, EGG, JP) but why are they even there? Is it Rockstar telling us that all 3 exist somewhere in the game. It may be nothing to do with the mountain just a hint that somewhere in the massive map is a UFO, a cholcolate egg (like the one from VC) and a JP? If this is the case though why are they linked in that way, it is that line at the bottom connecting the UFO to the jetpack that i find most interesting.

6. What are the red crosses? Where to find the glyphs or something else, they don't comepletely match up as some have said and of course some are missing? do they represent rooms inside the mountain where puzzles will be or are the areas outside the mountain?

7. Is the top picture a UFO an Eye or something else. I only ask this because of the other picture of a UFO i just don't get why they would use two different representations of the same thing. One is clearly a UFO which leads to believe tho other isn't? Or is it just that one is flyable and the other isn't?

8. (And this is a biggy) Is rockstar f*cking with us? My original theory which i have seen posited on here by others was that this was a red herring. Maybe Rockstar just wanted to send everyone on a wild goose chase? I have since changed my mind about this since i went up the mountain myself and saw just how big this mural is but it is possible.

So there it is, i believe that before we start trying to decode morse codes, strange paintings, colours and all the rest of it we should come up with some answers for these basica questions.

I also agree with something i saw mentioned that the other 2 UFO's are somewhat misleading everyone, i think we may have found them without following the clues and have therefore missed something or I belive that they are unrelated. I think a lot of attention has been drawn away from the actual Mural and trying to decipher what it is there for and what it is trying to tell us.

When looking at clues you should always try to work out who left it, why it was left and what it is saying. I don't think we have done that with the picture.

The main theory seems to be that it is just there to help get the UFO but if that is the case then the bottom pictures are just meaningless and the answer to my question 8 would be yes. I hate to believe this is the case, as i said i think Rockstar are the daddies of Easter Eggs and i would like to think that they have taken it all a step further with this game. If they care about pleasing their fanbase, and we have to assume that they do, they would know that massive and difficult hunt to get a cool reward will please people infinitely more than a massive wild goose chase to gain absolutely nothing. Then again maybe it is all just a throwback to the insane rumours that surrounded San Andreas, maybe this is their reference to all of that madness.

The second theory was of course the now infamous Karma theory. I am not dismissing this out of hand i mean Karma systems have been in place in games before now but are generally plain to see. I have a few issues with this theory myself but it has to be mentioned if we are trying to decipher the mural. I myself have a few issues with this theory but i don't think it is completely out of the question.

Lets try and keep this thread just about the mural, there are countless others for everything else and all the mural ones get de-reailed into other topics. Lets say that the only clue we have at the moment is this mural and all we have been able to gain from it is a UFO sighting, is that it or is there more to it?
  • NADOLNY, Duxfever and TOWILS like this

massis
  • massis

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

You sir, make sense. And are one of the few around here that do...

erbalist
  • erbalist

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:47 PM

Well thank you, I just feel the whole search has gone off on some tangents lately and the only actual clue we have is being ignored.

Maybe it is just to help find the UFO but then why the pics at the bottom.

The one thing that really bugs me is the lines between the pictures, from the UFO to the Jetoack and from the Eye/UFO at the top straight down to the Egg.

Rockstar made this mural massive and really well defined, i mean i was shocked when i first visited it in game by just how obvious and clear it is. Seems to me that a lot of thought has gone into it and I would say that everything on it should be relevant.

Would love to hear some opinions on the questoins i have asked

iDogma
  • iDogma

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

For your #7. I believe it's an eye and not a UFO. If you stand ontop of the mountain on the platform with the two eye view stations the same symbol is directly underneath you.
I believe this is the starting point, the point which you put the layout of the mural on, lining up eye to eye.
But notice the mural symbol has 2 lines like this:
/ \ while the one underneath you atop of the m

Also lightning obviously present

iDogma
  • iDogma

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:56 PM

Soz I hit send and sent that way to early

But the one ontop of the mountain only has this one:
\

NADOLNY
  • NADOLNY

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

130927615839.gif

• QGMC likes this

Ozzy_Osbourne
  • Ozzy_Osbourne

Puttin' on the Ritz

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

^ Didn't contribute jack sh*t LOLOLOLOLOL

Anyways

You make a lot of interesting points. I wouldn't doubt it if Rockstar wanted to screw with everyone, especially after all of the myth-hunting that went on in San Andreas(which they obviously knew was happening). But then why go to all the effort to make so many things match up? Whatever this mural translates to, I hope it's worth all the work being put in to deciphering it.
  • NADOLNY likes this

iDogma
  • iDogma

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

I think the whole middle line going from the eye to the egg should be taken out except for the one part it would have to remain to complete the path from the UFO to the Jetpack.

WRECKU
  • WRECKU

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

Good thread erbalist looking forward to seeing what all comes of this. :cool:

McGyver55
  • McGyver55

Easter Egg Casualty

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:52 PM

I personally think the mural is a red herring... a actual useful clue, but one given in such a manner as to have two (or more) possible ways of being interpreted, and the less likely interpretation most likely being the correct one. I used to organize and create quests and that is standard operating procedure to draw out the time it takes to solve the main problem... you just think ahead what conclusion people will jump to first and build on that. Using images and myths that people are familiar with is the easiest way to take them off track, they think they already know the implication or conclusion, so they ignore other obvious clues in favor of the ones they are familiar with and so they run with that initial assumption. 

I'm not saying I'm 100% right, but you can see that most people are either interpreting the main symbol in the mural as either a UFO (which was the initial assumption ) or a the all seeing eye. I don't believe that was done by accident. 

I think I'm actually starting to lose interest in the whole thing now, as it is also seeming that the final solution to whatever this mystery is will probably be so obscure and obtained via such a narrow path of reasoning that when that one guy who has never visited these forums does finally accidentally figure this out, we are probably all going to be really pissed off. 

I like Rockstar's work generally... but they do make some weird decisions and choices sometimes and I really hope this is not one of them.

• dshadowm32 likes this

erbalist
  • erbalist

Rat

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:57 PM

Also if we assume that the mural is there to direct us to the glyphs which in turn lay out the requirements to see the UFO, aren't we only half way there.

We have a missing glyph and a half worn glyph, perhaps they set out 2 further requirements to unlock the UFO fully or get it to interact with the mountain in some way opening up the tunnels?

We've done the easy bit, Rockstar have made it simple by giving us full glyphs to confirm the UFO exists, now perhaps we need to work out what the other two could have possibly been and try to meet all 5. Even having 4 might do something different?

There are only so may different mechanics, the time cycle, the weather cycle, game completion we have used so far what else is there?

Has anyone got he platinum trophy or the x-box equivalent and tested things, perhaps that is truly having your story complete?

suvguy
  • suvguy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:51 PM

This is a great post. I've followed along with the Decoding the Mount Chiliad Mural thread from the second I saw it and I've tried most of the reasonable suggestions in it. It does seem to go off the rails completely at least three or four times a day though. If one more person suggests using the space buggy to try and interact with the Chiliad UFO, I'm going to cry.

One thing that really interests me is your idea that the top of the mural is not a UFO but is just an eye. I've thought about that a few times as well and it makes good sense. Why not? There is plenty of eye imagry in the game. And the most important one (I think) is the statue in front of the observatory. I'm no good with photo editing software but has anybody thought of using that eye statue as the top of the mural and going from there?

Maybe that's stupid. I just want to fly a UFO.

NADOLNY
  • NADOLNY

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

After getting a warning for my "didn't read" post, I took a time to read this, congrats OP, nice post!

• QGMC likes this

Strengthcamp
  • Strengthcamp

Employee

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:43 PM Edited by Jbenz1, 11 October 2013 - 02:44 PM.

In my opinion, the top of the mural is an eye. It makes the most sense. Think about it, it's painted underneath the platform on Chilliad, where you can oversee the landscape, and IIRC there's a telescope there too. Maybe it's not just a coincidence that the viewing platform on Chilliad, and the observatory both have eye symbols and telescopes.

madmanaz
  • madmanaz

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:08 PM

Has anyone tried lining the mural up with the next mountain over? The one with the station on top? Or the mountain with the Letters on it- Rebel Radio is up there. Maybe the "eye" is a the radio tower...

I obviously have no clue and have contributed absolutely nothing to the actual work behind all this. Just some thoughts I had. To me, the mural doesn't line up with Mount Chilli-nads very well.

BTilla
  • BTilla

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

The eye on top of Chiliad is facing west. The mural best lines up from that side (as a representation of a hand drawing, I don't expect a perfect match).

There is a sixth box on the hippy camp Chiliad.

FireFighter_Nick1988
  • FireFighter_Nick1988

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

I too enjoy Easter eggs. The first thing I did after I had freedom in single player is drive to Mt. Chiliad and look around everywhere. Rockstar was smart to make 100% completion a requirement for the major Easter eggs, as this weeds out the people who just troll with fraudulent "findings". However, I am not 100% yet, but only 86%. It's hard because I'm married, in school, and work full time lol. Anyways, the mural is obviously incredibly relevant, and must point to something huge. Rockstar is known for their dedication to gamers and the craftiness of their Easter eggs, no matter how small. So to say the Mural is an allegory, or sending people on a wild goose chase is not logical in my opinion. Rockstar knows that would piss EVERYBODY off. Especially after the recent hatred spewed by gamers dealing with all of the glitches and the online play not working. They don't like to press buttons with their fan base. They very much like to 'tease' and be subtle about things, but they would not make up a huge, weaving web of false leads. This mural HAS to be something, and I will be there on the front lines when somebody finally figures it out.

gepetto420
  • gepetto420

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:43 PM

i think the jetpack pack is 'locked' indefinitely until a patch comes out.  you guys are wasting your time.  They are getting joy out of watching us hunt around for it aimlessly.  just be patient and enjoy what you got for now.

meowstache
  • meowstache

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

I still believe you can get inside mt chilliad. So far theres no clear entrance, but could be there some wall you can noclip through like in gta4 statue.

But then theres this bunker in the military base where the ufo light points and still nobody has figured out how to enter.

If the jetpack exist it has to be in the military base.

camloroscoe
  • camloroscoe

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

When I last went to look at the mural, it struck me that that the 'crosses' could actually be satellite dishes. Given the other drawings on the mural are fairly crude and unclear, this seems plausible?

Maybe not strictly relevant but the people who say 100% completion is important for the big eggs, this seems likely as R* put in this new system where you can get 100% without truly finishing everything in the game. Kinda suggests that means those people who don't want to spends hours and hours looking for that last hidden package/stranger can still benefit from whatever 100% complete game brings. 

zerzu
  • zerzu

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

Does anyone think this and several other hidden parts of the game have partially been the reason gta v has not came out on PC?

erbalist
  • erbalist

Rat

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

Does anyone think this and several other hidden parts of the game have partially been the reason gta v has not came out on PC?

The thought had crossed my mind too be honest yeah

I still think the approach should be to try and work or what the other two glyphs could be to give us 5 requirements, 3 let's us see the ufo almost to confirm we're on the right track but 5 opens the door next to the mural. I've been thinking in terms of what gameplay mechanics could be utilised all I can think off so far is character switching, vehicles, weapons and money. We should also think what simple picture could have been in the glyph to represent these things i.e the rain cloud.i guess it would bee hard to represent a certain character using a simple drawing

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? What could the other two requirements be?

NADOLNY
  • NADOLNY

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

There is a topic here showing the tunnels under chilliad

Capten Morgan
  • Capten Morgan

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

Maybe " water and sunset" :monocle:

KillaVolt
  • KillaVolt

Trick

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

I haven't followed many of these threads and only briefly read along with the whole conspir..er..theory, but am slightly interested myself.

Has anyone used the blacklight map as part of this theory, namely has anyone figured out what the "shoot for the stars" means at the observatory, or the "they're here" markings near Zancudo?

Jaysing
  • Jaysing

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 19 October 2013 - 05:50 PM

Has anyone tried following the blacklight map directions with Trevor while having exactly 500 thousand. I heard that some fib guys attack you but then give you something. Not sure if true, as I'm not at 100 percent (supposed requirement)

DaltonWilliams123
  • DaltonWilliams123

Welsh Wheelman

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

I haven't followed many of these threads and only briefly read along with the whole conspir..er..theory, but am slightly interested myself.

Has anyone used the blacklight map as part of this theory, namely has anyone figured out what the "shoot for the stars" means at the observatory, or the "they're here" markings near Zancudo?

Shoot for the stars could be aiming a sniper at the stars, remember in Vice City the moon got bigger when shot with a sniper rifle.

HakatoX
  • HakatoX

Yes, This is me......

• Members

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

Number six....

someone has found a non functioning sundial in Vespucci Beach that matches the "X" on the lower left of the mural.

A member here posted it and it got lost in the hubub

http://socialclub.ro...ZDUe8sSRQutpDlg

I would understand it being just a sundial... but it doesn't work

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users