Anyone in here suffer from depression?

590 replies to this topic
highspeed
  • highspeed

Monster truck everything

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 3 weeks ago

I feel that way and I'm doing this for at least 12 years, mostly because during my teen years, i was bullied at school because I was acting "weird" and my parents were badmouthing and neglecting me because of my bad grades, I guess I could seek help, but I'm afraid that the therapist could lock me up in a padded room..

Please do it, seek help. The therapy helped me a lot, it completely changed my life. When I started I was feeling really bad and I didn't know the reason why; in just a couple of months I figured it out and had all the tools to get out of it. Now it is still hard, some things requires time to be managed, but you'll surely feel better than now.

Good advice man.

• Bruce Khansey likes this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 3 weeks ago

This isn't the only thing, the other being that i'm afraid that my family misjudge me if they know I see a therapist, because I have the feeling they never understood me and never will. I mean, I don't think they even know how wrong I feel deep inside, they could tell me "You don't need to seek help, you look good, you just feel a little down, it will fade in time"   :facedesk:

First of all, it's great that you are at least sharing on here. I can't say I can say more than the good advice of  highspeed and Bruce if you don't speak to your family, than can never know. I understand the fear of being judged. I didn't speak to my family in a close way until not so long ago. Recently I was in a rut and I was surprised how understanding they are. I was also afraid to be a burden on them. But one common thing haunts families of people that lose a loved one to depression is; "I wish I had known." Most people suffer in silence and friends and families in most cases want to help. 

Maybe it's good to see a professional first. When you get comfortable you can tell your parents why you went to see a professional if you chose to. The choice is yours.  Good professionals are great listeners. They're able to make you open up, without judgement.  It's OK to have apprehensions, that's normal but trust me, after one visit you'll all ready feel positive about taking control of this. 

If you worry about money, seeing a professional, I think there are more cost-effective alternatives where you can see professionals that are post-graduates and they have a lower rate than the more established professionals. Also, some employers offer employee welfare initiatives where there might be an option to visit a doctor or counselor. 

If it's not an option at all, please try speak to family and friends. Don't keep it all locked up inside you. 

• highspeed likes this

AtomicDarling
  • AtomicDarling

The Girl with the Gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I just wanna drop some thoughts into this thread cause I see a lot of people discussing medication.

I was diagnosed with chronic depression in my early teens. This was a misdiagnosis. I was put onto 4 different anti-depressants over the years and I would feel great for a few months and then I would crash and burn down to the deepest levels of Hell. The only times in my life when I truly felt suicidal were during these crashes and they ranged form ages 12 to 17.

The reason they affected me is because I don't have chronic depression. I have type 1 bipolar disorder.

Bipolar is not what most people think it is. Although it can include a sort of rapid cycling that triggers fast and frequent mood swings, mostly it is formed of longer periods of moods that can last days and weeks. You go from being amazing, full of energy, happy, maybe unable to sleep, over excited, having trouble focusing to extreme depression which may make you tired, irritable and all the things that come with it.

The only reason I was eventually properly diagnosed was because of my extreme averse reaction to SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) medications such as Zoloft.

Just something to keep in mind as some of you navigate the twisty corridors of finding a medication combination that works best for you. If the meds continue to not help, you may be treating the wrong problem.

• FilthyLittleGod likes this

HeteroDahmer
  • HeteroDahmer

Pretty girls with Pigtails

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 3 weeks ago

I have never been diagnosed, but it's highly probable. with that said, it's hard to tell whether I'm depressed or just a pessimistic cynic who's inordinately lugubrious.

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

Get out of my sight, or I'll kill you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

Like the guy above me, I've never been diagnosed, but I most likely have it.

It's not really that I want to kill myself, I just have zero motivation for anything (work is literally the only thing I look forward to lmao), I'm always tired, never hungry, and just feel nothing.

• Femme Fatale, RaMMy and FilthyLittleGod like this

highspeed
  • highspeed

Monster truck everything

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A week ago

It's not really that I want to kill myself, I just have zero motivation for anything (work is literally the only thing I look forward to lmao), I'm always tired, never hungry, and just feel nothing.

I share similar thoughts on this one.

For me, I just found something to focus myself on, and keep myself steady and motivated to try for something better.

Work is cool, but once the hours are over I try and refocus on my family, my lovely dog, my fitness, GTA Online, my favourite TV shows.

Whatever works, but when you find that moment of small peace inside your head, it'll get better!

• theGTAking101 and FilthyLittleGod like this

FilthyLittleGod
  • FilthyLittleGod

Post Constructor

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago

Quite new to these forums (although they seem like a lovely place to spend time!), but I, too, am a lifelong sufferer of depression.

This has been a bad year for it, too, although, strangely, also a good year in many ways: I finally started dedicated therapy at which I finally feel like I've found someone who I am compatibles with / gets me (I had started and stopped a few times in the past) but, I only decided to start up again because I had a couple bad incidents where I slipped waaaay back into my old self destructive behaviour patterns and lost a few close friends.

So yeah.

I feel the sadness every day, to some degree or another.

Pot smoking, alcohol, video games, movies, TV, my dog Beefy and some other leisure activities help take my mind off of it to a degree, but it's always there!

Truly lovely to see a topic like this (and so busy) in these boards.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!
  • RaMMy likes this

highspeed
  • highspeed

Monster truck everything

• Members
  • Australia

Posted A week ago

Quite new to these forums (although they seem like a lovely place to spend time!), but I, too, am a lifelong sufferer of depression.

This has been a bad year for it, too, although, strangely, also a good year in many ways: I finally started dedicated therapy at which I finally feel like I've found someone who I am compatibles with / gets me (I had started and stopped a few times in the past) but, I only decided to start up again because I had a couple bad incidents where I slipped waaaay back into my old self destructive behaviour patterns and lost a few close friends.

So yeah.

I feel the sadness every day, to some degree or another.

Pot smoking, alcohol, video games, movies, TV, my dog Beefy and some other leisure activities help take my mind off of it to a degree, but it's always there!

Truly lovely to see a topic like this (and so busy) in these boards.

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Hi man, welcome to the forums!

Firstly it's great to hear that therapy is working for you, and you found someone who gets you. That's truly the best thing. I'm sure if you keep at it, it'll help you moreso.

I fully understand and can relate to the self destructive behavior - been there many of times, and still fight it some days too.

I personally think we all feel sad at some point or another - I mean, it's unhealthy to be happy all the time. We need our downs to really appreciate our ups!

(Alcohol is a depressant, as I'm sure you know. It's probably not the best thing to help you through this, but I'm not judging just putting it out there)

Anyways. Yeah this forum, and indeed this thread is a great place to chat about things, and I'm hear to help people in this thread wherever I can.

RaMMy
  • RaMMy

QA @ EA Bucharest

• Members
  • Romania

Posted A week ago

Are those really signs of depression? Because I have same feelings like you stated above, if I could, I would just sleep all day and do nothing....

And I've been like this for a few years now, the only times I feel better and enjoy the moments are when I'm stoned af.  :blink:

• theGTAking101 likes this

theGTAking101
  • theGTAking101

Get out of my sight, or I'll kill you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted A week ago Edited by theGTAking101, A week ago.

Are those really signs of depression? Because I have same feelings like you stated above, if I could, I would just sleep all day and do nothing....

And I've been like this for a few years now, the only times I feel better and enjoy the moments are when I'm stoned af.  :blink:

Yeah, those as well as things like frequently getting annoyed for no reason, trouble concentrating, feeling worthless/guilty and stuff like that. If the symptoms are consistent for more than a few weeks then it's possible that you have it.

• RaMMy likes this

RaMMy
  • RaMMy

QA @ EA Bucharest

• Members
  • Romania

Posted A week ago Edited by RaMMy, A week ago.

Yeah, those as well as things like frequently getting annoyed for no reason, trouble concentrating, feeling worthless/guilty and stuff like that. If the symptoms are consistent for more than a few weeks then it's possible that you have it.

I've been feeling like this for a couple of years now.

I'm scared sometimes about the future... 

Is there any way to get past those feelings? Besides medication, even when I'm sick (cold or what ever) I don't take medication, because I strongly believe humans can heal themselves without intoxicating their bodies. 

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted A week ago Edited by HeavyDuke, A week ago.

MaryJane is the only ''drug'' I am doing, and I've been smoking for almost 4 years now, maybe that's why  :D.

I once tried a pill, called Phillip Klain (or something like that, a yellow pill with a big quantity of MD in them), took one, and snorted 4 lines from another one. The experience sucked, I couldn't feel my legs and arms and I blacked out for around 10 minutes.

Wish I didn't found this thread, it made me go more paranoic about my heart now.... Sorry to hear that happened to you... 

I have heart palpitations from time to time, sometimes twice per day, I smoke (tobacco and weed [and my heart races when I smoke weed, having panic attacks all the time, it sucks], I drink soda daily and coffee too (2 or 3 cups a day), I might not get to 30, but I won't stop, because, you know, life should be lived without fears (except when I smoke bud.......).

Is there any way to get past those feelings? Besides medication, even when I'm sick (cold or what ever) I don't take medication, because I strongly believe humans can heal themselves without intoxicating their bodies. 

Then why do you self medicate yourself with drugs that clearly do nothing but cause you panic attacks? 

RaMMy
  • RaMMy

QA @ EA Bucharest

• Members
  • Romania

MaryJane is the only ''drug'' I am doing, and I've been smoking for almost 4 years now, maybe that's why  :D.

I once tried a pill, called Phillip Klain (or something like that, a yellow pill with a big quantity of MD in them), took one, and snorted 4 lines from another one. The experience sucked, I couldn't feel my legs and arms and I blacked out for around 10 minutes.

Wish I didn't found this thread, it made me go more paranoic about my heart now.... Sorry to hear that happened to you... 

I have heart palpitations from time to time, sometimes twice per day, I smoke (tobacco and weed [and my heart races when I smoke weed, having panic attacks all the time, it sucks], I drink soda daily and coffee too (2 or 3 cups a day), I might not get to 30, but I won't stop, because, you know, life should be lived without fears (except when I smoke bud.......).

Then why do you self medicate yourself with drugs that clearly do nothing but cause you panic attacks? 

I don't ''self medicate'' my self with drugs, I like to smoke and get high so I can forget about everything and everyone for a while, happy with the answer? The panic attacks lasts about one hour or two, and for the next 3 to 4 hours I'm just high and fine. (Sometimes I wake up still high, my friends are jealous xD)

Also, I enjoy stuff more while being high, I don't laugh at comedy movies, the only times I laugh (other than my bad jokes) at movies is when I'm high.

Used to drink with my buddies, until 6 years ago (yes, I was 15) I drank so much, I needed to go to the hospital and couldn't get up from the bed 3 days.

Now, after so many years, only the smell of alcohol make's my stomach sick. So, I had to find another way to have fun, and that's when I smoked my first joint (new years eve, best party ever). It's weird, because I'm the only ''weird'' guy from my circle of friends that doesn't drink, sometimes I force myself to take a shot or two because I don't want them to feel bad about me. With that said, can we stop calling weed ''drug'', it's a plant, it's natural and also helps to keep my head clear and is better than alcohol. 

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted A week ago Edited by Mister Pink, A week ago.

I don't ''self medicate'' my self with drugs, I like to smoke and get high so I can forget about everything and everyone for a while, happy with the answer? The panic attacks lasts about one hour or two, and for the next 3 to 4 hours I'm just high and fine. (Sometimes I wake up still high, my friends are jealous xD)

Also, I enjoy stuff more while being high, I don't laugh at comedy movies, the only times I laugh (other than my bad jokes) at movies is when I'm high.

Used to drink with my buddies, until 6 years ago (yes, I was 15) I drank so much, I needed to go to the hospital and couldn't get up from the bed 3 days.

Now, after so many years, only the smell of alcohol make's my stomach sick. So, I had to find another way to have fun, and that's when I smoked my first joint (new years eve, best party ever). It's weird, because I'm the only ''weird'' guy from my circle of friends that doesn't drink, sometimes I force myself to take a shot or two because I don't want them to feel bad about me. With that said, can we stop calling weed ''drug'', it's a plant, it's natural and also helps to keep my head clear and is better than alcohol. 

Cancer is also natural. But that's another debate. And by definition it's a drug. I think you are attaching negative connotations with the word drug and then disliking weed being called a drug based on those connotations. I'll go one step further and say some people like Rastafari would take offence to you calling cannabis "weed." :D :p

Weed: a plant that is not valued where it is growing and is usually of vigorous growth; especially :one that tends to overgrow or choke out more desirable plants (2) :a weedy growth of plants or an obnoxious growth, thing, or person - Merriam Webster

:p

It's good to have some outlet of escapism. And yours is to smoke. I used to smoke too for about 15 years but in the last 5 I just got anxiety from smoking. I've stopped drinking alcohol for for the time being and haven't touched anything else for a year. I have to say my mood is improving greatly. I'm getting more natural highs from being totally clean. I wouldn't try convince anyone to give up alcohol or weed but I will say it has it's benefits. Most people I know that have been smoking for years eventually grow out of it, except some of the people I know that started late. Others have a nicer relationship with it than I had during my last few years. 

And I hope you don't feel left out if you aren't drinking with your buddies. Seriously, I can only have respect for you. I know it's tough not to cave in to that kind of pressure or at least not let it get to you. Alcohol is one of the most dangerous drugs on the planet. It's also one of most enjoyable and freely available too. I congratulate anyone that manages to abstain from it. 

I haven't given up alcohol for life but will do for the time being and maybe enjoy something at Christmas or on my Birthday. Lately, it's made my mind clear, helped improve my productivity and creativity. I'm actually afraid of having a drink again in case it disrupts my current progress. 

And about your question about worrying about the future. Man, this was something I always had. Since I was a boy in fact. It can be a very crippling worry. My advice is to practice mindfulness. It's not some new-age quackery. It's very helpful. Our minds and thought-processes can learn bad habits of thinking. Those bad habbits of thinking can manifest negative emotions that can impact us in very real ways. What starts off as a thought develops in to an emotion and that emotion have give us adverse effects. There's no one quick solution unfortunately. However, there's hope! Practicing mindfulness can help you recognize when your mind is drifting down a negative stream of thought. Being mindful you can be alerted to this kind of adverse thinking. Pause for a moment and be aware and then realize that it doesn't have to be that way. I'm bad at explaining it. 

I recommend mindfulness to anyone suffering from depression. 

Let this beautiful lady explain it better... It may seem a bit airy-fairy at first but there's some science to it and it has a huge success rate. Most people that practice mindfulness really champion it.

Shauna Shapiro, PhD, is a professor at Santa Clara University, a clinical psychologist, and an internationally recognized expert in mindfulness. Dr. Shapiro is the recipient of the American Council of Learned Societies teaching award, acknowledging her outstanding contributions to education; and is a fellow of the Mind and Life Institute co-founded by the Dalai Lama

Here's another more to-the-point explanation of it.

• RedDagger and RaMMy like this

HeavyDuke
  • HeavyDuke

Big Homie

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted A week ago Edited by HeavyDuke, A week ago.

I don't ''self medicate'' my self with drugs, I like to smoke and get high so I can forget about everything and everyone for a while, happy with the answer? The panic attacks lasts about one hour or two, and for the next 3 to 4 hours I'm just high and fine. 

Clearly you got some issues otherwise you wouldn't even want to use this drug. And this is exactly the definition of self medicating

And it is a drug.

Drugs-a medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body.

If weed isn't a drugs, then neither is anything that has an physiological effect. And thats also why its so intresting to drug users, because of the physiological effect. 

Good thing you gave up on alcohol though. 

• RaMMy likes this

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Next DLC Thread Page 3000 Winner
    Best Ledby 2016
    Most Helpful 2016
    Quotable Notable Post of the Year 2016 ["sup"]
    Best Crew 2016 [The Daily Globe]
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2016
    Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted A week ago

I can appreciate not wanting to abuse medication, however as Mister Pink pointed out I think you're doing yourself more harm than good by thinking of all drugs as being bad by definition - you've shown that you're fine with a bit of medication with cannabis. Many people have found their lives innumerably better after finding the right medication for a mental illness that's been plaguing them. When the balance of chemicals in one's brain is out of whack, there's little harm and lots of good in just setting that balance right.

However, if you're absolutely dead set on the "no drugs" angle (apart from some sneaky THC, nicotine and caffeine ;)) there's plenty that can be gained from lifestyle tweaks like eating/drinking better, exercising more and generally keeping a healthy lifestyle. Depending on the cause it might not stop it, but it'll certainly make things better.
  • Mister Pink and RaMMy like this

RaMMy
  • RaMMy

QA @ EA Bucharest

• Members
  • Romania

Well, thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate you took some time to speak about my "weed experience'. I wolud stop smoking (tobaco and weed) because lately I feel kind of sick (I am afraid I have a minor problem with my heart, I used to have palpitations even twice a day, and weed, nicotone and cofeine might cause serious problems for me.) Gaming and hangouts are always what made me feel better, now I only have gaming left since most (if not all) of my friends are busy with school or work, and we go out once or twice per month, maybe this might be also a cause for my self inducted depression. I'm sorry for ranting about myself so much, but I had to speak with others that are having the same issues as mine.
  • Mister Pink, RedDagger and HeavyDuke like this

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Cyberpunk

• The Connection
  • None
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014

Posted A week ago

Well, thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate you took some time to speak about my "weed experience'. I wolud stop smoking (tobaco and weed) because lately I feel kind of sick (I am afraid I have a minor problem with my heart, I used to have palpitations even twice a day, and weed, nicotone and cofeine might cause serious problems for me.) Gaming and hangouts are always what made me feel better, now I only have gaming left since most (if not all) of my friends are busy with school or work, and we go out once or twice per month, maybe this might be also a cause for my self inducted depression. I'm sorry for ranting about myself so much, but I had to speak with others that are having the same issues as mine.

Gaming has been great for me too. Especially when there's not much time to meet people any more. Also, the palpitations can be scary. You're right caffeine probably doesn't help either although I would say a lot of it has to do with the weed. I'm not a doctor though, just a random internet guy speculating! :p 

And don't feel bad about talking about yourself. I don't want to sound like I'm speaking for others but I would say most of us if not all of us understand what you're going through. It's really good to share with others because I know from experience, it's worse to keep things bottled up inside. 

• RedDagger and RaMMy like this

Dindoutiors93
  • Dindoutiors93

Kawaii Samurai

• New Members
  • United-States

Posted 5 days ago Edited by Dindoutiors93, 5 days ago.

I see a lot of people nowadays struggle with living. It comes from many sources. Mostly from childhood. The secret is to form proper attitude. You have to think positively aka nothing can make you feel bad about this world or yourself. Besides, its not only a depression. Depression in most cases is just a symptom. Take a look at Borderline Personality Disorder - 9 symptoms and 2 of them are depression and recurrent suicidal behavior which means you think a lot of it but unable to do it. Yet, around 17%-30% of those who suffer from BPD end up with suicide according to different sources. Even if you are sick, attitude can help a lot. And despite all those youtube videos and guides about developing attitude and "being happy no matter what" are bullsh*t, you can still do it. You just need help. Try 1 week of therapy to find out what's wrong and how to fix and start fixing it. You are missing a lot of possibilities because of this feeling. And i know what i'm talking about, trust me. Don't let outside world hold you down and what's more important - stop hating yourself (a lot of negativeness comes from self loath). You are a personality. Even if you feel like nobody likes you - you are wrong. There's always people who like you and dislike you. Nothing to do about that. Stop being moody - people don't like it. And eventually you will dig a deeper hole. And one more tip: do not overthink lol. This is literally the worst state of mind. Especially when it comes to your relations with people. Be simple - think simple. And you will see how everything will change to better.

P. S. If you want to talk about stuff i'm always up to :)

igotskiz
  • igotskiz

help

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 4 days ago

I try to think about the things that make me happy. And if I can't think of anything that makes me happy, then I realize that something needs to change, and that's usually what I'm doing at that moment.

Sanches
  • Sanches

Rider boi

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 days ago

My friend suffers from depression. I think i was his only friend for quite some time tho.
Now he spent like 2 years on medecine and he feels better. Ugly thing to watch a depressed friend. Sometimes even scary.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users