Photo

Anyone in here suffer from depression?

154 replies to this topic
M4RK
  • M4RK

Thug

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

Couldn't find this topic being discussed in the search bar so I would figure I would ask.  

I've been suffering from it for about 4-5 years now.  I never really wanted to kill myself but I do feel down quite a bit and the feeling kinda sucks.  I become sad, anti social, tired, and never feel like doing anything.  I never really took medication for it because the depression comes in waves and is never really consistent.  

What about any of you guys?  Anyone in here suffer from depression?  How do you cope with it and get past it?

• diseexomasono likes this

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:58 AM

Yes, I suffer from depression for quite some time now. The worst thing about it is that I feel absolutely demotivated, tired. I'm not entirely sure what would solve the problem in my personal case. Perhaps getting a girlfriend, losing some weight, would both roll away the sadness, at least to some extent.

I guess you need to find the root of it, the reason why you feel depressed.

MIGta
  • MIGta

• Members
  • England

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:31 AM

Depression doesn't necessarily have a reason.  I might say I feel a bit depressed today because so and so died recently.  That is not the same as being medically depressed.

Some people with the most awesome of lives and everything they could possibly want could get depressed due to a chemical inbalance in the brain.

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14 - Supralux

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

No. Depression is for lazy people that don't know how or don't want to deal with their life situation.

I used to be depressed too not too long ago. I dealt with it by realizing that most of my "problems" were imaginary or self-created. It's not possible for me to explain this in one post, and even if it was possible, you need to witness it yourself to believe me. You have more potential than you think you do, sometimes I'm amazed how well I can handle emotional situations. It all boils down to this, whatever you think is wrong in your life, there are only two types of situations: those you can deal with and those you can't. People usually have problems with the former, they usually think there's something they could change or could have changed. It's important to live in the present though, nothing ever happens in the past or the future. It all happens now. You are the one making yourself feel depressed. Do whatever you think you need to do right now and don't worry about the rest.

• John The Grudge, F4L?, GnZinEss and 1 other like this

F4L?
  • F4L?

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:35 PM Edited by finn4life, 10 October 2013 - 12:36 PM.

Depression doesn't necessarily have a reason.  I might say I feel a bit depressed today because so and so died recently.  That is not the same as being medically depressed.

Some people with the most awesome of lives and everything they could possibly want could get depressed due to a chemical inbalance in the brain.-

Agreeing with what ---- said and adding my own bit here, it's going to lack coherency I am sure, but i'll try anyway.

Perhaps this is true to a certain degree (MIGta), but to be honest, I do not quite agree completely, I've had depression set on a few times, I wouldn't say it had gotten particularly bad as far as depression goes, But I definitely had it, I know because of how much better I felt after getting out of it, and i've discovered that is quite often down to the individual, to a large degree if you have it or not, no I am not referring to genes, I am referring to your conscious brain.
Depression generally starts with yourself, you start these negative thoughts and way of thinking and it spirals downhill from there and becomes a cycle, this often happens due to the situation you are in, if you are unhappy that is usually down to your life circumstances, if you are becoming depressed it means you are lacking something in your life, or something needs to change. Perhaps you need to move, you need to change job, change career, perhaps you need to find new friends, or socialize and get out far more often with the ones you have, perhaps you need to take a holiday and visit family, perhaps you need to start fitness training, or perhaps, you simply need to change your way of thinking and nothing more, however this is more easily accomplished with a change of lifestyle, for some people, their depression never really goes away completely, but these things greatly improve it. If you just tell yourself with real gusto, that you don't want to be depressed, and you want tp change your life, you can do so, It's very hard to explain exactly how to do this, but if you believe you can, it will.

I remember a friend of mine who was widely outside my friend circle, from about 13-14 on was very much a loner, I was his only real friend at the time, he was suffering with crippling anxiety that he says is in his family (Resigning himself to 'facts), he never wanted to go shopping centres or movie theatres, he was always sickly, he hardly ever went to school, he got tired quickly even with enough sleep and fitness and he generally just didn't want to leave his house. I pushed him and I pushed him pretty much every day just nagging at him to come and do stuff, slowly he did come and do more things, I talked to him about some of the sh*t I mentioned above and then over the course of like three years from 15 to 18, in that time there was a life changing kind of thing, their family moved, he had been my next-door neighbour since I was just a kid, the move was terrible for him at first and I was back at square one, but again I persisted, I went and visited him every few days, it was a new suburb, he did nothing for a long time, but I pushed him to come do things, even to just walk to the local shops, or kick the footy, over time he wanted to do more and something in his head changed, he got back into sports, he started meeting people, got a girlfriend again, has several jobs now, started buying and fixing up cars, joined a gym more recently and goes every day, he became proactive about things and got his license and was up to do anything, his anxiety is pretty much in the past, he has stopped taking his cocktail of medicines while his mother is still depressed and relies on weed every day with his father to keep herself happy while he's gone and changed his life within the constraints of who he lives with and his socio-economic background and has become a much happier person for it. I use him as an example because he was a pretty extreme case.

Now MIG you mention people who have 'everything'. Well I believe for those people they are still lacking something in life, for rich people they have money, so they lose their goals, they don't have that constant thing to work for so they can buy that next holiday sort of thing, so I think they just feel as if things lose meaning when there is nothing holding them back. Which isn't really true, you just need to find the meaning in other places.

• Irviding, Secura, Criѕtian and 1 other like this

jln22
  • jln22

Call me Julian

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

I am suffering from depression as well if any of you need to chat when they feel low, feel free to PM me and maybe we can talk.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:39 PM Edited by RedDaggerXL, 10 October 2013 - 02:39 PM.

No. Depression is for lazy people that don't know how or don't want to deal with their life situation.

I used to be depressed too not too long ago. I dealt with it by realizing that most of my "problems" were imaginary or self-created. It's not possible for me to explain this in one post, and even if it was possible, you need to witness it yourself to believe me. You have more potential than you think you do, sometimes I'm amazed how well I can handle emotional situations. It all boils down to this, whatever you think is wrong in your life, there are only two types of situations: those you can deal with and those you can't. People usually have problems with the former, they usually think there's something they could change or could have changed. It's important to live in the present though, nothing ever happens in the past or the future. It all happens now. You are the one making yourself feel depressed. Do whatever you think you need to do right now and don't worry about the rest.

People have different types and levels of depression. For some people it is feeling low and apathetic from recent events, say, loss of a family member. 

For some it's feeling devoid of emotion for no reason. 

For some it's feeling anger towards oneself for relatively silly reason, and become apathetic because of this. 

For some it's a chemical side-effect from drugs.

For some it's not being able to enjoy anything, at all.

For some it's because they block positivity from other people because of self-loathing.

It's not just being sad at yourself and you should just 'get over it' (something truly depressed people despise because they know they're depressed but can't do anything about it).

If someone has the type of 'depression' you described, then I don't think you can call it depression.

Relevant: http://31.media.tumb...sowro1_1280.jpg

• Jay and Simoneski like this

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K14 - Supralux

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:29 PM Edited by Criѕtian, 26 May 2014 - 08:45 PM.

It's not just being sad at yourself and you should just 'get over it' (something truly depressed people despise because they know they're depressed but can't do anything about it).

That's not what I said though. I think that most people have specific reasons to be depressed, usually their current situation or something they did in the past. What I was saying was that for most people it's not impossible to overcome depression.

Trinette
  • Trinette

lean on me. so you wont. stray your neck.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:05 AM

I've felt depressed for the majority of my life without reason. The earliest I remember starting to feel that down feeling when I was like 7 or 8. It probably peaked in around 2011 and at that point I was at a all time low. It wasn't until a year later that I started attending therapy and after a year of different medications and weekly sessions I noticed a great improvement in my mental health. My biggest complaint however is that the medicine I took in addition to the countless hours I spent discussing my issues with a doctor made me feel a little emotionally numb (in addition to emotional trauma that also contributed to that). So I stopped taking it and I'm doing pretty awesome.

One things for sure:you probably honestly wouldn't need a therapist. They're great in helping you feel better, but I believe all of the depression comes from our own perspective on things. What baffled me was the fact that my therapist had an answer to everything I was experiencing that appeared to be a never ending issue. She made my problems almost seem petty and made me realize how good I actually have things. My ignorance wanted me to think "I am a one of a kind person with severe issues" and after realizing how far I was actually taking it I started to think "I'm just a stupid ass mellow dramatic teenager with stupid, insignificant problems".

The best solution is probably convincing yourself that things aren't as bad as you may make them out to be. Emotional trauma may be definite considering how long you've been depressed, but it really isn't that bad. For weeks and even months you'll feel pretty blank regarding emotions once you finally get over the depression but it's definitely not as bad as what you might be feeling now. The blank state lasted me from probably the beginning of June and it ended around August. :ph34r: :ph34r:

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:50 AM

I'm not going to go out and start diagnosing myself, but for the last 2-3 years I have been feeling really down in the dumps and usually constantly have had suicide on my mind. I don't want to say i'm suffering because I know that there are people who have it much worse than I do any saying that you are suffering to me means that you have a pain wherein the only means of escaping it is death. I just don't really find much happiness in life anymore. There was a time when I was younger and I was always just happy. Then after I started growing up I found myself being happy less and less as the years rolled by. Now, i'm just not happy. I don't get excited for anything very much, I hate being around people, and I find myself lacking sympathy for others. so, take what I have told you and decide for yourselves whether you feel if I am depressed or not. 

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:06 AM

Stress caused from school and my social anxiety had made me very depressed lately. I just feel like life doesn't matter anymore, though I will never act upon those thoughts. I only live for the good moments, like vacation or just relaxing in my room.

Irviding
  • Irviding

No bed crew

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:21 AM Edited by Irviding, 11 October 2013 - 04:22 AM.

I used to feel like that all the time... the feel that you have no purpose, nothing matters, etc. Then I started weight lifting and that changed it totally. Changed my whole life, put more work into university, makes you more confident which results in more girls and more friends - fitness is a cure for a lot IMO.

Uhwoahnohuh
  • Uhwoahnohuh

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

I am depressed mainly because everyone around me is so......fake and dull

jln22
  • jln22

Call me Julian

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:10 AM Edited by jln22, 11 October 2013 - 09:11 AM.

Here we go, contacted my 'friends' to go out tonight, no one wants to come. f*ck depression starts to take over.

Max
  • Max

The Port Vila Killa.

• Zaibatsu
  • Vanuatu

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:08 AM

jln, you have to be more robust. That whole post is indicative of where some of your depression stems from, the world and the people in it do not exist for your gratification, amusement, persecution or ridicule. Sometimes they don't want to do the things which you want to do, it is in no way a reflection on yourself.

jln22
  • jln22

Call me Julian

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:34 AM

Right so in this case what I am supposed to do? By the way just talked to my mother on phone and she gave me another dose of depression, I was supposed to pay some money today to the uni and therefore I had to withdraw money from my card. But I've forgot my PIN number and she started arguing again, told me like "You need to stop that f*cking PC and take care of your problems and exams".

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

We all suffer from it, one way or another.

headmetalbanger
  • headmetalbanger

A Dose of Metal you need!!!

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:44 PM Edited by headmetalbanger, 11 October 2013 - 09:44 PM.

Yes, since long time ago, my mind is on another universe, but I never try suicide or this stupid things to suffer, people try help me but I never listen them because I know what I do, I see the world differently than you know.

But sometimes this help me to meditate and think more as life is beautiful and this makes me write more things on papers in future projects.

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

Once in a while, but I can't put any reason to it; everything just becomes unappetizing and I can't do anything but lay there and cry about myself, can't even fall asleep. Thank goodness it's only once in a while, I'd have probably given up by now if it wasn't.

Mostly I just wish I could relive my life from six to about thirteen over and over and over again. Then my problems would be solved! :)

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:34 PM

Couldn't find this topic being discussed in the search bar so I would figure I would ask.  

I've been suffering from it for about 4-5 years now.  I never really wanted to kill myself but I do feel down quite a bit and the feeling kinda sucks.  I become sad, anti social, tired, and never feel like doing anything.  I never really took medication for it because the depression comes in waves and is never really consistent.  

What about any of you guys?  Anyone in here suffer from depression?  How do you cope with it and get past it?

The way you described it is the also the way i have been feeling since about 2007. The only difference is that at certain points i have given serious thought to suicide and do every few months or so. Do i want to die? No thats probably why i have never attempted suicide but its always in the back of my mind.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

VOLKSWAFFEN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:26 AM

I've been diagnosed with depression last year. I don't think in my case, it came out of the blue or anything. If anything, I brought it up on myself.

Take a look at 2005 for example, my dad's flipping f*cking sh*t because my mom wants to leave him, and seeing as his other sons are either in the marines or dead, he takes me to his place and then the f*cking SWAT team pops up. I was loyal at the time, I stood by his side and stuff, and then he got shot after going out onto the porch with some old civil-war era revolver. It wasnt until many, many, many years later that I found out that the cops thought about shooting tear gas into the house to confuse dad before they busted in, possibly keeping him alive. But no, I stayed there. And I wasnt even being forced to stay there, he said I could leave anytime I wanted. for those 20 hours I stayed with him, never imagining that he would die. I do remember him saying that he was going to 'fiddlers green' and him crying. That was the first time I ever saw my dad cry. I saw him tear up a little every now and then when someone brought up his dead son Luke, but im not talking about tearing up or anything, I'm talking about actual, legit weeping like a little kid. I couldn't understand it at the time, but goddamn, looking back on it even today still haunts me, not only seeing my dad cry like a little kid, but the due fact that I could've walked out of there at any time, which could've greatened the chances of seeing dad again, but no, I had to stay with him. Goddamnit.

And then there's Jessica. I know I told you all about her and how much I hate her, but then earlier this week, when I was looking up german music for something I'm working on, I came across an old song that held some memories I had with her: "Haus Am See" by Peter Fox. It may sound like some slow-paced German reggae song to you, but to me, it's one of the best memories I've had with her. I can imagine it ever so clearly now, we were hanging out at her place in the computer room, messing around with Gmod on her computer. And as we did so, we listened to "Haus Am See", and it was a beautiful moment. Time seemed to stand still and it felt like the only two things with heartbeats were us. We loved eachother, and we both knew it. Then I f*ck it all up and she doesn't even want to talk to me, let alone get within 10 feet of me. Sure, I mostly hate her most of the time for her promiscuity and anti-semitism, but goddamn, that was such a strong memory, perhaps even stronger in the fact that there will never be a moment like that again, it seems. Earlier today, I was walking in the hall to my class, and she was walking in the other way, and our eyes seemed to meet eachother, as if we wanted to say "sup" but we couldn't start it. I wish I kept looking into her eyes for longer. I never ever wanted to finish what I've just begun with her. But damnit phil, you keep f*cking up. You f*ck this up, now you f*ck this up. Pretty soon you'll f*ck up in sports, f*ck up in a job, f*ck up in a lot.

The worst thing about depression is the pills they give you. Once my doctor 'recognized' my depression, she prescribed me Abilify. I take it, and I end up falling asleep during school. Then she prescribes me another brand of pills, which makes me equally tired. Eventually, none of the pills seemed to work, so I have to end up living with this cocksucking piece of sh*t living in the back of my head. I call her "Joysucker". She makes me paranoid and doubtful of everything and anything, and she makes my friends and family mad at me.

TL;DR - Depression flip friggin sucks

• trip, F4L? and GnZinEss like this

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:42 AM Edited by Typhus, 12 October 2013 - 01:47 AM.

The world and the people in it do not exist for your gratification, amusement, persecution or ridicule.

Sorry, but that's just not true.

We're all someone's plaything, whether we care to admit it or not. Myself? Let me be frank, the only reason I'm still alive is because of a personal obligation to my family, one I am powerless to alter thanks to our shared blood. I want to die, but I can't die with a cloud of disloyalty hanging over my head. Likewise, I can't die in a way that's rude, a way that leaves someone to find me and makes them sad. There's really no excuse for poor manners, and I don't mean that as a joke, I'm serious. Being rude to people is unforgivable, and being dead doesn't exempt you from having to consider the feelings of others.

We are objects, people use us when they need us and let us gather dust when they don't. The warehouses and factories of the world are full of men who can tell the same tale - they get used up and thrown away the minute the strength leaves their arms. We're puppets moving puppets moving puppets.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:01 AM

2009- early 2012

So glad it ended. I don't know what it was for but I just felt so gloomy during those times

ASIAN LAWYER
  • ASIAN LAWYER

Trick

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:16 AM

i was at one point. i'm not going to say why i was, but i will tell you my trick (this may/may not work for you). i created a mantra i.e. i came up with a single sentence relating to how i wanted to feel, then i said this sentence to myself hundreds of times a day for a couple months. the plan was to completely re-programme my mindset into believing this sentence, and it f*cking worked!

brainwashing yourself sounds insane, i know! but holy sh*t, i am better for it. 

Uhwoahnohuh
  • Uhwoahnohuh

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

My depression comes from the fact that it is 2013...Everything about Now, Just sucks, Straight up.....Music, TV, trends, All of it. My childhood was so great and now look at the way im living. total nonsense these days

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

DON'T TOUCH ME YOU FILTHY CASUAL

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

Funny you mention it, OP. I sometimes felt down for no reason or just felt totally drained. It's been a sh*tty few months to be fair, though. But even before this I had the feeling you had. I've never thought much of it. Just probably subconciously thinking of something, but now you say that maybe I have something like that.

Around here it seems to be a fad for people my age to get diagnosed with depression, so I don't want to go anywhere to get tested. Not that I'd know where to go.

johnny_zoo
  • johnny_zoo

Aces!

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

I had depression I think. It lasted at its worst for a total of 6 straight days. Aug 2010 - worst period of my life. I actually was trying to fight off suicidal thoughts. Its hard to describe what the feeling was like. It was weird it was like I wasn't in control of my mind. Each morning I felt a dark presence descend on my mind. It was very tangible like there was a swirling cloud of evil and negativity sweeping around my mind and refused to leave. 

Based on my experience and opinion I think depression is bigger than chemical imbalances in the brain. I dont know about neuroscience but what I do know is that so far attitudes of mind cannot be traced or found using MRI scanning.

I think the likelihood of someone getting depression (and in my case) has a lot to do with the person's attitude and emotional stability. I know in my case my attitude was very bad back then. I was a hermit, was very bitter and angry at life. My siblings I felt were doing better than me and I was jealous. I had a lot of sexual lust towards women which looking back I think contributed to that depressive state. Everything was a secret in my life. Secrets destroy a person. I was never one prone to violent emotional outbursts rather I was the opposite I suppressed my emotions for some reason maybe I was afraid of opening up either way it soon overflowed and I paid the price.

So I don't think taking medicines is a good idea. You dont need drugs to fix what's going on in your brain. You might be producing very little serotonin etc. but you don't want to risk being addicted to pills which could create another problem for you. Theres an old saying 'hope deferred maketh the heart sick' so focus on someone else when your life isnt going the way you want. 

How did I cope? I tried surrounding myself with my family as much as possible. I tried doing more things for others when i could - you'd be surprised how much you can heal when you focus on someone else.

jln22
  • jln22

Call me Julian

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:41 PM

Depression is quite easy to heal if you find out what's missing in your life. For example, I'm getting depressed because I have no good friends, I don't party like everyday and I don't have girls to f*ck. I am sure that once I'll fix these, my depression will be gone. Not instantly.

Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Nations

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

I'm getting depressed because[...] I don't party like everyday

First world problems?

• PsychoGamer3 likes this

Trinette
  • Trinette

lean on me. so you wont. stray your neck.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

Depression is quite easy to heal if you find out what's missing in your life. For example, I'm getting depressed because I have no good friends, I don't party like everyday and I don't have girls to f*ck. I am sure that once I'll fix these, my depression will be gone. Not instantly.

I don't think that stuff will necessarily get rid of your depression if you have a bad case of it. At this moment I've 'partied' maybe once in my life and that was with two of my other friends and I'm nearly 19 and my sexual life is basically non-existent and I don't feel a lot towards sexual activities or attraction, but that's more of a choice, and I'm more than okay now. I always thought that having a boyfriend and finding some perfect romance like you see in witty teenage movies would help me out a lot but I found that to be completely unnecessary for making me happier.

Are you age 16-19? I can see why thoughts like these are apparent if so. Those years our moods seem to be the worst for a good bit of us. We're too sensitive to everything that's petty and don't quite want to look at things through the bigger picture. It took more than a year of a therapist hinting to me that my problems at the time I was 17 were insignificant before I finally started taking control of my emotions and realizing that there is so much more to worry about in life, but it's also pointless to worry.

Now I'm here at 18 and feel alright with pretty much everything. I don't have insignificant thoughts putting me down and I decided that life is alright how it is. I have issues I'd like to get over, but I'm not going to cry myself to sleep every night and torture myself mentally or physically because I can't yet achieve the smaller things. :ph34r: :ph34r:

• Lexty. likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users