Speaker wire with spring clips

5 replies to this topic
Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

Hey guys,

I have an Onkyo receiver which has a spring-loaded wiring attachment as opposed to wiring posts. I don't have a shop nearby to get some sample wire so I hoped maybe you guys could help. I looked through the manual and it doesn't mention it.

It's an HT-R391 MDC. This pic is for reference.

x0zr.jpg

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Look at his little spots!

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:55 AM Edited by sivispacem, 10 October 2013 - 07:00 AM.

Just get some standard 4mm speaker wire. You need wire without a banana plug or other end fitting, so it is effectively just bare copper/CCA. Then you hold the spring clip back, push the copper end into the hole (fnar) and release the spring clip so it holds it in place.

Something like this cut with a cable cutter or Stanley knife and with the ends stripped using a knife or crimping tool.

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

Thanks Sivis, I was going to go with 14 AWG. I'm glad I asked before I got a hundred feet of the stuff.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Look at his little spots!

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

You only really need 14AWG full-copper stuff with really, really high-end audiophile-grade gear, and/or for installs with large distances between speakers/satellites and the receiver/amp/preamp. If it's only 6 feet between each speaker and the back of the amp then the cheaper, lower-grade copper-coated aluminium wire is just as good because over distances that short the additional impedance doesn't matter.

If we were talking Creek amplifiers with AVI speakers or something like that then I'd be all over 12AWG full copper or even gold. But you won't tell the difference in conventional midrange system.

Wolf68k
  • Wolf68k

always howling

• Members
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Technology] 2013
    Best Contributor [Technology] 2012

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:01 PM Edited by Wolf68k, 11 October 2013 - 02:03 PM.

Since it's not mentioned and just in case you need to know. When you take the insulation off the wire, be sure to twist the exposed wire. Which direction you do it in, in this case, doesn't matter.

Side note if you really wanted to you can use these types of pin banana plugs for spring clips (or these).

Fozzy Fozborne
  • Fozzy Fozborne

Soldier

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:23 AM

Side note if you really wanted to you can use these types of pin banana plugs for spring clips (or these).

You gotta love Monoprice...

Now I did know the twisted wire trick from car audio, and comparing it to a home theater it overestimates what you'll need.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users