Quantcast

» «
Photo

Does Anybody Else Wish GTA: San Andreas Never Existed?

139 replies to this topic
jptawok
  • jptawok

Lester the Molestor

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

Hey

I would rephrase the " I wish GTA SA didn't happen" to "I wish there weren't so many fanboys glorifying SA because it gets annoying and because they end up having more influence over the market than they should". 

False.  It's been proven time and time again over the years that fanboys, critics, and regular people alike have no influence on a game what-so-ever (barring indie titles).  These big boys (blizzard, R*, EA) will do what they want, how they want it.

CallTheCoroner
  • CallTheCoroner

Have you ever been dying of thirst, and smelled rain?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

Why does the bitching bother you?

Jimmy Darmody
  • Jimmy Darmody

Don

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:26 PM

Hey

I would rephrase the " I wish GTA SA didn't happen" to "I wish there weren't so many fanboys glorifying SA because it gets annoying and because they end up having more influence over the market than they should". 

False.  It's been proven time and time again over the years that fanboys, critics, and regular people alike have no influence on a game what-so-ever (barring indie titles).  These big boys (blizzard, R*, EA) will do what they want, how they want it.

yeah, well, i've got a feeling that R* would have kept the realism tradition of GTA IV if it wasn't for people asking for cartoon based game to resemble GTA SA, wich is what GTA V turned out to be imo

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, I always carry my heat in these streets

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:28 PM Edited by Official General, 09 October 2013 - 09:36 PM.

No disrespect, but this is quite a stupid thread. 

Of course I'm so glad that San Andreas existed. I had NEVER played a game like it, it was one huge, spectacular and fun game on many levels. Vice City is my favorite GTA, but this comes in at a very close second. 

If anything SA should be the main motivation for Rockstar to set their bar and standards even higher for the GTA games that came after it. They kind of failed in doing that with GTA IV. In the case of GTA V ? I cannot say just yet, I've not yet completed it, I'm very far into the game. And so far, I really do think that Rockstar could have done a much better job with V, even though I like V better than IV. That is Rockstar's fault, not SA fans. 

And I think the OP is wrong about why there was a lot of hate for IV. The reason why IV got so much hate and dislike was not simply down to the omission of simple SA-style features like tattoos, haircuts, muscles etc. No, not at all. IV got slated a lot, simply because it was quite limited and lacking in variation in many areas. IV's missions were a bit too repetitive, it was mostly hitman-related, go there and kill this and that person. Began to wear thin after a while. IV did not have enough fun and interesting side missions and activities, there was not really much to spend your money on, you could not buy, own or manage assets, and there was hardly any random crime or action in the streets. SA had all these missing things, something which ensured it would still remain popular over IV.  

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

Rockstar seriously couldn't win in making GTA5 - because there are two distinct sets of fanboys who seem to want diammetrically opposite things from a GTA game.

People who loved San Andreas more than anything else seem to want content, content, content - to the exclusion of all else. If the world looks a bit blocky, and the controls are a bit clunky - doesn't matter because there's a million things to do and a crazy variety of sights and experiences.

People who loved IV more than anything else seem to want realism - an exquisitely put together and beautiful looking city, with accurate, real life motion physics. And if the difference between missions and activities is somewhat subtle and grounded, no problem.

Rockstar seem to have tried their hardest to satisfy both camps - but that probably isn't possible at all, and definitely not possible on this gen of technology.

So in the end, they seem to have disappointed both the San Andreas variety addicts and the IV realism nuts, for completely different reasons. And the only people who seem to be really enjoying this game are those coming at it with an opening mind, and appreciating it on its own merit for everything that it is, rather than everything that it's not.......

picard_clapping.gif

Although the complaining seems to be non-existent among the IV fanboys in comparison to the SA cry-babies.

killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

I loved San Andreas But part of me now wishes the game never released, nor even existed....because ever since SA released back in 2004, it seems to have created a vast array of fan(boy)s who just can't seem to let go and move on.

No, I'm completely glad it existed. San Andreas isn't the problem. The people who want every GTA to contain every feature from San Andreas are the problem. It cool to have some of the better features from past games, but its important to continue going in a different direction too. Theres a reason why this series is so huge, and its because you never know what you're going to get, but you always know its gonna be a load of fun.

• Jimmy Darmody likes this

EscobarVice
  • EscobarVice

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

If it wasn't for San Andreas Grand Theft Auto wouldn't be as popular and successful as it is today, I don't wish that San Andreas never existed, it's one of the best games of all time, and I wouldn't want to wipe it off of the face of the earth because some kids complain that IV and V don't live up to the legacy.

I personally liked IV yet after you'd completed the story there was nothing you could do but drive around and buy clothes, I know most of the development would have been focused on the next generation RAGE engine, but it was probably the quickest GTA to wear out for me.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

Having three main characters, none of which I particularly like, isn't 'groundbreaking'. I'd rate it a 6/10, and that's being kind. 

Something isn't groundbreaking because you didn't like it. That's ridiculous. The feature was groundbreaking regardless of whether or not you liked it because of how it was implemented.

@OP: if it wasn't San Andreas, it would be something else. You will never win with some people. They could build a brick-by-brick remake of San Andreas with the same actors, and they'd still hate it saying that San Andreas original was better.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:38 PM

It's really depressing coming on here and seeing nothing but negativity. Negativity that's, 99% of the time, expressed really poorly in a simple angry sentence. 

It's really frustrating to see so many people jumping on the angry bandwagon and flexing their internet muscles. We understand that people have differing opinions, obviously. 

It's incredibly depressing to see so many people that have had a negative experience say that anyone that's had a positive experience of V is a cocksucker and a fan boy. It must be really, really hard to be so damn insecure and only have the internet as an outlet - that may actually be the most depressing thing, actually. The really immature anger that so many people spouting, without even saying why they feel so upset. 

Let's increase the peace, bitches. 

• DeafMetal likes this

ramtastic
  • ramtastic

Hustler

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:44 PM Edited by ramtastic, 09 October 2013 - 09:44 PM.

V's tagline should have been "In pursuit of the almighty identity".

This game is neither one thing nor the other.

Single player tries to blend the much loved San Andreas cartoony, do whatever you please, reality-suspending, pure fun feel into a more gritty, based in reality, high res successor.

Online is trying to blend true MMORPG gameplay in with the established GTA 'login and shoot' mentality. 

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, and will sink many more hours into it, but IMO, they should have moved away from SA, because the feeling that it should somehow be a SA:2 was and is, never going to go away. 

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

@jptawok

Basically your technique is..."I can't address anybodys valid arguments. I know, I'll just resort to the easy cop-out and label everything as being subjective".

Let me guess, I'm being subjective, right?....

Well cogratulations on completely wasting my time.

These forums of late.....

Garrison64
  • Garrison64

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

For me SA wasn't as good as many of you seem to feel it is. The story was mediocre at best and had a pretty silly ending. The graphics, physics, driving, cop AI, and ped AI were all horrible. The game world did not  look or feel real at all. It did have a lot of fun things to do and that was its saving grace. Although the turf wars were really bad because the enemy AI was so pathetic and enemy AI in general was severely lacking. The game was simply limited by the console it was produced for. Cars blew up way too easily and I didn't find them enjoyable to drive at all. So I guess it's all about how you remember it or maybe what you are looking for in a game. Although the stories were ok I never really cared at all for the game play in any of the early GTA games.

The new game engine changed everything for me and made the overall game play so much more enjoyable. For me 5 is miles better than SA but that's going to be a personal call on everyone's part. I can't tell the SA fans how to feel any more than they can tell me how to feel. It doesn't work that way. I'm sure nothing will ever be as good for them as the original SA. Rockstar could probably remake SA using the current game engine and they'd still say the original was better. Sometimes a past glory just has a way of embedding itself in your mind so firmly that nothing will every possibly live up to it. 

• John Smith likes this

Thebull94
  • Thebull94

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:46 PM Edited by Thebull94, 09 October 2013 - 09:46 PM.

So yea I read a few sentences of the OP's post hoping to find some intelligible debate and then saw the main reason he does not wish San Andreas (a f*cking legendary master piece that made my summer) existed is purely because it has created fanboys (other people who have no relation with the OP and therefore should not influence the OP in anyway regarding which GTA games they prefer) to that specific entity in the franchise.

OP my question is simple and direct.

Why the f*ck do you care about the fanboys that back up GTA San Andreas? Let them do them and you do you.

• jptawok likes this

Thisnamehasnotbeentaken
  • Thisnamehasnotbeentaken

Prankster

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

Anybody wish the OP never existed?

:^:

• jptawok likes this

bish0p2004
  • bish0p2004

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

It's really depressing coming on here and seeing nothing but negativity. Negativity that's, 99% of the time, expressed really poorly in a simple angry sentence. 

It's really frustrating to see so many people jumping on the angry bandwagon and flexing their internet muscles. We understand that people have differing opinions, obviously. 

It's incredibly depressing to see so many people that have had a negative experience say that anyone that's had a positive experience of V is a cocksucker and a fan boy. It must be really, really hard to be so damn insecure and only have the internet as an outlet - that may actually be the most depressing thing, actually. The really immature anger that so many people spouting, without even saying why they feel so upset. 

Well, you don't have to come here if you don't like it.  That's just my take on it.  Whenever you have a product that people are passionate about, you're going to have some who love it, and some who don't, and some in the middle.

What's also depressing, are fans who call anyone who prefers an older game to a newer one, nostalgic or nitpicky, or want SA volume 2, or people who love anything when they are kids.

The insults balance out in my opinion.

spamtackey
  • spamtackey

Business Socks

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

You know, I think Rockstar were very lucky that they had to deal with the PS2 hardware and not something like the 360 when they started GTA. The 3D era GTA games are terrible looking to be quite honest. They look good for an open world game but compared to Doom 3 (a 2004 title), Metroid Prime, and even movie licensed games like the Lord of the Ring games they fell terribly short. Of course we all know that is because an open and detailed world was impossible at the time, but it did enable them to focus on adding new gameplay features because they didn't have to add tons of detail to the world. We weren't able to call our friends in San Andreas to hear Ryder's answering machine. There were no animals wandering around the forests. So many of the interiors were plain copy/pastes even when they didn't match the layout of the outside of the building. Character models barely looked human and the animations were laughable. 

The little details do take time and do take effort. One might think it's simple to have something happen like running into Trevor and having him insult you as you try to steal his car and eventually drive off into the distance, but the possibility of that happening had to be thought of by the developer, written, voiced, any animation they need or lip syncing, programmed, and tested. I can't imagine how big of a project this game was to create. My own gripes with the game aside, I cannot think of any open-world game that could even rival it.

• Ermacs likes this

jptawok
  • jptawok

Lester the Molestor

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:00 PM Edited by jptawok, 09 October 2013 - 10:03 PM.

@jptawok

Basically your technique is..."I can't address anybodys valid arguments. I know, I'll just resort to the easy cop-out and label everything as being subjective".

Wrong again, dipsh*t.  Your arguments are subjective.  It's no cop out, it's a fact, that you state your opinion as fact, when actually, it's not.  I'm not going to argue with you on subjective terms, it's a circle jerk I won't be a part of.  Sorry if that makes you upset, or that the realization that you lack any logical arguments makes you upset, but it is what it is.

This is a perfect example to prove that you have no f*cking clue what being subjective means.  Your opinions are not facts, and projecting your mental failures is a really unflattering way to argue.

"cogratulations" on completely wasting MY time.  Let me re-suggest the idea of studying a logical fallacy table (https://yourlogicalf...ographic_A3.pdf), as well as doing some deep research into subjectivism(http://en.wikipedia....ki/Subjectivism).  You stand to learn a lot.

P.S.  You could also do with some reinforcement in your proofreading, because it's pretty sub-standard.

So basically your technique is to state opinions as facts, and play the "fallacy fallacy" game.  Don't worry, I'll wait for you to look up what that means.

The forums as of late...

I thought this was a cute touch.  You pretend like you're not part of the problem.  You're in for a wake up call, bro.

• bish0p2004 and NYdreamz like this

droidbradley
  • droidbradley

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

Rockstar seriously couldn't win in making GTA5 - because there are two distinct sets of fanboys who seem to want diammetrically opposite things from a GTA game.

People who loved San Andreas more than anything else seem to want content, content, content - to the exclusion of all else. If the world looks a bit blocky, and the controls are a bit clunky - doesn't matter because there's a million things to do and a crazy variety of sights and experiences.

People who loved IV more than anything else seem to want realism - an exquisitely put together and beautiful looking city, with accurate, real life motion physics. And if the difference between missions and activities is somewhat subtle and grounded, no problem.

Rockstar seem to have tried their hardest to satisfy both camps - but that probably isn't possible at all, and definitely not possible on this gen of technology.

So in the end, they seem to have disappointed both the San Andreas variety addicts and the IV realism nuts, for completely different reasons. And the only people who seem to be really enjoying this game are those coming at it with an opening mind, and appreciating it on its own merit for everything that it is, rather than everything that it's not.......

picard_clapping.gif

Although the complaining seems to be non-existent among the IV fanboys in comparison to the SA cry-babies.

Exposed. You just hate San Andreas and love IV. You obviously didn't see all the driving sucks, no realism and IV was better threads did you.  Your bias is clear and that comment solidified it

• jptawok likes this

jptawok
  • jptawok

Lester the Molestor

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

picard_clapping.gif

Exposed. You just hate San Andreas and love IV. You obviously didn't see all the driving sucks, no realism and IV was better threads did you.  Your bias is clear and that comment solidified it

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

I preferred San Andreas. Not because I'm a fanboy, but because I genuinely thought it was a better game.

Admittedly I was a lot younger, but I much preferred the story, the soundtrack, the environment, the characters, almost everything.

If San Andreas had better graphics and Euphoria physics, the game would be unbeatable. I mean, it's taken 9 years for Rockstar to re-implement swimming underwater.

Having three main characters, none of which I particularly like, isn't 'groundbreaking'. I'd rate it a 6/10, and that's being kind. 

This^ x100

Why cant people just get that to some people graphics < everything else. I cant speak for GTA IV since I hate Liberty City and Niko just wasnt interesting enough for me to play more the a few of the first missions but GTA V is not that awesome. It sold well yes but thats not cause of the game. NO ONE knew if the game was gonna be great or not at pre order. It sold as it did cause of hype, past games, and GTA fanboys/girls.

Personally GTA V had bad storyline, so so missions and great graphics, while GTA SA had great storyline, great missions and so so graphics compare to now. I really hate how much focus graphics are getting right now. It seems like as long as the game looks beautiful missions and storyline can skate by.

Whats funny is that everytime someone is defending V vs SA they go straight to graphics and that says a lot.

Some people like me liked the storyline and missions very much in IV. SA was great but the story was just all over the place and sometimes ridiculous. 

Also in an open world game I want a great looking and lifelike world to play in. 

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

Exactly. I want to post about some of the things in GTAV like rare vehicles or crazy things that happened but instead it's thread after thread of people in the GTAV forum acting like Rockstar murdered their mother because V is not the exact magical vision they had in their head.

I think Rockstar should create a seperate division where they just continue the SA story using nothing but renderware. Would that make people happy? That way I can enjoy GTA games that are what R wants to produce.

I do think there are some elements of V that seem like pandering to the SA demographic but it doesn't bother me. They still whine though so next time R should just do what they want.

NYdreamz
  • NYdreamz

Born Sinner

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:17 PM Edited by NYdreamz, 09 October 2013 - 10:20 PM.

is there seriously something wrong with creating a game thats based on the best in the series ??

while not taking steps backwards from it....

• 018361 likes this

Thebull94
  • Thebull94

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:19 PM

Recreate Vice City R* then all the San Andreas fanboys will go extinct.

Vice City > Doritos (Fact)

jptawok
  • jptawok

Lester the Molestor

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:21 PM Edited by jptawok, 09 October 2013 - 10:21 PM.

I guarantee you when they make the next Vice City game (we all know its going to happen), the outcry will be the same, depending on who they aim to please.  Either HD or 3D people are gonna be mad.  I miss the simple days where a GTA game didnt divide its own audience.

CallTheCoroner
  • CallTheCoroner

Have you ever been dying of thirst, and smelled rain?

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:22 PM

Well, that's just the way the cookie crumbles. There's always gonna be negativity. Fighting negativity with negativity won't work either. I just don't understand why people can't just ignore the whiners.

Not that hard.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

I guarantee you when they make the next Vice City game (we all know its going to happen), the outcry will be the same, depending on who they aim to please.  Either HD or 3D people are gonna be mad.  I miss the simple days where a GTA game didnt divide its own audience.

Well HD is the new standard for pretty much everything so that is here to stay. 

bish0p2004
  • bish0p2004

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:24 PM Edited by bish0p2004, 09 October 2013 - 10:25 PM.

@jptawok

Wrong again, dipsh*t.  Your arguments are subjective.  It's no cop out, it's a fact, that you state your opinion as fact, when actually, it's not.  I'm not going to argue with you on subjective terms, it's a circle jerk I won't be a part of.  Sorry if that makes you upset, or that the realization that you lack any logical arguments makes you upset, but it is what it is.

This is a perfect example to prove that you have no f*cking clue what being subjective means.  Your opinions are not facts, and projecting your mental failures is a really unflattering way to argue.

"cogratulations" on completely wasting MY time.  Let me re-suggest the idea of studying a logical fallacy table (https://yourlogicalf...ographic_A3.pdf), as well as doing some deep research into subjectivism(http://en.wikipedia....ki/Subjectivism).  You stand to learn a lot.

P.S.  You could also do with some reinforcement in your proofreading, because it's pretty sub-standard.

So basically your technique is to state opinions as facts, and play the "fallacy fallacy" game.  Don't worry, I'll wait for you to look up what that means.

The forums as of late...

I thought this was a cute touch.  You pretend like you're not part of the problem.  You're in for a wake up call, bro.
Damn...now that's a post that deserves an applause....but I'm on my phone and can't post a gif.
  • jptawok likes this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:28 PM

So yea I read a few sentences of the OP's post hoping to find some intelligible debate and then saw the main reason he does not wish San Andreas (a f*cking legendary master piece that made my summer) existed is purely because it has created fanboys (other people who have no relation with the OP and therefore should not influence the OP in anyway regarding which GTA games they prefer) to that specific entity in the franchise.

Why the f*ck do you care about the fanboys that back up GTA San Andreas? Let them do them and you do you.

Ok, I'll answer your question for you:

I care because it absolutely annoys the sh*t out of me whenever I see anybody - whether it be a professional business or otherwise - put so much blood and sweat into something to try and please everybody, only for a certain segment of the recipient to act like spoiled, entitled, self-appointed brats.

As somebody else in this thread acknowledged; it's f*cking depressing.

picard_clapping.gif

Exposed? 

Exposed for what exactly? Exposed for actually being able to appreciate something from a company who tries to build on it's products with the hardware they have to work with? 

And tell me, what is this bias you speak of? I guess when SA released, I was more biased for it than VC, right? Or I was more biased for III than GTA 2? Sorry if I can see progress and innovation for what it evidently is in this case...

@jptawok

I'm quite aware of the meaning of 'subjective'. My apologies that you were unable to identify the irony in which I used the term.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Big Homie

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

I respect that some people are not into the HD games but I prefer them. I like the fact that the world is so lifelike and things just feel more alive and real. I like many things about them and while everybody has their own opinion I get a little sick of people acting R has somehow personally wronged them because it is not to their liking.

Thebull94
  • Thebull94

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:39 PM

Ok, I'll answer your question for you:

I care because it absolutely annoys the sh*t out of me whenever I see anybody - whether it be a professional business or otherwise - put so much blood and sweat into something to try and please everybody, only for a certain segment of the recipient to act like spoiled, entitled, self-appointed brats.

As somebody else in this thread acknowledged; it's f*cking depressing.

picard_clapping.gif

Exposed? 

Exposed for what exactly? Exposed for actually being able to appreciate something from a company who tries to build on it's products with the hardware they have to work with? 

And tell me, what is this bias you speak of? I guess when SA released, I was more biased for it than VC, right? Or I was more biased for III than GTA 2? Sorry if I can see progress and innovation for what it evidently is in this case...

@jptawok

I'm quite aware of the meaning of 'subjective'. My apologies that you were unable to identify the irony in which I used the term.

But dude listen. That business that worked hard on the game give less of a f*ck than you man. Dont you see how pointless it is getting annoyed by something that should not concern you? Those people bitching about GTA V they still f*cking bought it (I know I bitch about it but I bitch because I f*cking love the game and hate those f*cking cops..... ill stop now before I make 20 paragraphs on why) and gave R* there money netting R* a f*ck ton of money.

Do you think R* gives two sh*ts what GTA they prefer? R* Made San Andreas they should be honoured that people still think it is pinnacle of GTA design and all other GTA games should get compared to it.

So dudebroskiman make a cup of tea, put a porno on, do your business, then go watch Goodfellas, relax and enjoy life rather than worry about what games other people prefer.

"Ahh let me see whats happning on the foru....."

"That guy prefers GTA San Andreas to V? Wtf? f*ck him.... f*ck HIM"

*Makes thread*

"Oi fa**ots why do you prefer San Andreas? It is like waaaay less Uber l33t than GTA V?"

lolz

• NYdreamz likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users