Quantcast

» «
Photo

what age do you think is too young for gta?

50 replies to this topic
caseclosedjk
  • caseclosedjk

Forum Bastard

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:34 AM Edited by caseclosedjk, 12 October 2013 - 02:36 AM.

Considering the fact alot of us started before we were adults, most of us have no room to talk. I was only 10 when GTA 3 released, and I got it only a few weeks after it came out... 

As long as the kid is mature, and does not try to be bad ass and try to replicate the game in real life, they should be able to play it.

Oh, and kids:

Do not join GTA Online if you have a mic. Nobody wants to hear your loud high pitched squeaker voice screaming and crying.

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:38 AM

When they're old enough to properly use a controller. At that age, they're already making all their toys kill and/or f*ck each other. GTA is just a toy box with less clean up. 

D-Bomb129
  • D-Bomb129

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:50 AM

I played VC and SA when I was 13. My brothers are 15 and 12, not sure how I'd feel about them playing but I suffered no ill side effects.

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:52 AM Edited by PkUnzipper, 12 October 2013 - 02:58 AM.

so I am 21, 22 in November. I have played gta since I was 10 but that was gta 1 and it was a couple of times on my friends pc (really nothing like what gta is today). my mum friend said she bought he 8 year old gta because it is a really good game so she has been told. I told her are you f**king stupid? read the age certificate if he was 12-13 yeah whatever but 8 just seems too young to be exposed to gta. get him a wii u and Zelda? am I wrong or is that just f**ked. then she said she would get him to turn the volume down? maybe this is why the younger generation is so f**king stupid because they are being exposed to mature things to young and do not know how to process it?  

I completely agree with all your observations.

And based on the behavior of fan boys online (with and without mikes) I'm also inclined to believe 33 might be still too young to play a mature M rated game like this....  :lol:

edit:

You DO of course, understand the completely irony between this statement:

".....I have played gta since I was 10 but that was gta 1 and it was a couple of times on my friends pc (really nothing like what gta is today)...."

and this one?

"...but 8 just seems too young to be exposed to gta. get him a wii u and Zelda?..."

And especially these:

"...I have played gta since I was 10...."

"...my mum friend said she bought he 8 year old gta because it is a really good game so she has been told. I told her are you f**king stupid?"

"....maybe this is why the younger generation is so f**king stupid because they are being exposed to mature things to young and do not know how to process it?"

:lol:

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

I have no patience for you V section lurkers

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:21 AM

8 I mean unless you're a psycho.

kansasdude
  • kansasdude

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:26 AM

By law, you have to be 17 as the game has a mature rating but as long as the kid knows right from wrong and it's just a game and to NEVER do what you do in the game in real life........than no age is too young

Jako98146
  • Jako98146

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:31 AM Edited by Jako98146, 12 October 2013 - 03:34 AM.

I'd say about 11-12 for single player, that's about the time I started playing GTA IV

14-15+ for online, and I'd imagine we all know why...

Jako98146
  • Jako98146

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:33 AM

Considering the fact alot of us started before we were adults, most of us have no room to talk. I was only 10 when GTA 3 released, and I got it only a few weeks after it came out... 

As long as the kid is mature, and does not try to be bad ass and try to replicate the game in real life, they should be able to play it.

Oh, and kids:

Do not join GTA Online if you have a mic. Nobody wants to hear your loud high pitched squeaker voice screaming and crying.

Exactly

Ankou
  • Ankou

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:01 AM

i really have to think when i first played GTA, i probably was about 9 years when i first played GTA III. But honestly GTA III and GTA V are two pairs of shoes, since GTA V is definatly more realistic and brutal than the previous GTAs. But theres a steep further, it is still recognizable as a game and that it is not real, a 18rated Horror movie like SAW or whatever would eventually be traumatic for kids, but i dont think a Video game could do that, since they can most likely still distinguish.

I can only say from the Kids in my neighbourhood, that the Kids playing such killer games are not more violent than Kids who arent exposed to such games, i think it depends on individuals, but generally speaking i doubt they have serious Impacts, movies are worse.

And about nudity, well thats another pair of shoes.. in some cultures nudity is more accepted than in others, in most parts of europe it is not a big deal, here you see it on newspapers, tv ads, beaches, Saunas too. America is much more conservative about it. now These  rapists, cannibalists in the mountains  are somewhat disturbing though, but i think most Kids, with their premature attidude would probably just shoot them and laugh at their penis or something, and dont put too much though into it.

The Scene i'd be most worried about would be the torture Scene, when i played it felt quite uncomfortable, not sure how  a kid would handle that?

So in short, i dont think GTA will disturb Kids mentally or make them into Killers.

WinterEdit
  • WinterEdit

It was all just lying there!

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:22 AM

GTA Single-Player? 8-10 or 6-8 when accompanied by parent... This, because I am not a deranged mad psychopath even though I have played GTA's since GTA III from the age of 5 or so... plus I did play it with my dad when I first played it, but he let me play it alone later on (at the age of 6 or so) I admit GTA V is a bit more serious/dark(ish)... but yeah. I don't know how useful/useless would being accompanied by an adult be when playing GTA, but since you need adults' presence to see a 15+ movie when you are 12 or so at least in here, I figured it'd be a good idea.

GTA Multiplayer? 10-13 or after voice change/puberty (if you use microphones)... Don't get me wrong, I don't really hate kids playing GTA. But if they scream words to the mic they don't probably even understand with a voice higher than a soprano, it is extremely annoying. I know you can mute people, but it's just a work-around.

NikosBellend
  • NikosBellend

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

I personally subscribe to the school of thought that children are incapable of willingly becoming jerks without some outstanding guidance toward that path from their parental figures. I have been playing violent games since before I was 10, 24 now, and played Ghost Recon, CoD 1, Battlefield 1942, Americas Army, and just about any game of the like upon their release. I played these games competitively, too, as a child; and even then refrained from disclosing my age or speaking on mic because I did not wish to be condescended for my age but judged for my skill and sportsmanship as a player.

And that's the thing, sportsmanship. The sort of stuff that kids for so long learned from their father seems to no longer exist in todays society. You can blame every factor in the world from television media to music but at the end of the day it is a parents role to instill discipline and responsibility within their children.

When I see kids acting horrendously on games, as much as I want to hate them, I am only capable of projecting my frustration toward their parents who would allow them to behave in this way and continue playing those games when they are obviously not mentally capable of the maturity required. This is especially true in GTA, with all its portrayed vices. Parents seem to wish to distance themselves from their kids by simply buying them that video game they never shut up about, because it means that they will selfishly have more time to themselves even if at the expense of neglecting their childs development. Either this, or parents simply never question what a child asks for even and especially when they do not know any better. Spoiling children will instill within them entitlement with no gratitude and appreciation.

I think the same way about pets, too, in case you were wondering. Like I tell people, there are no stupid dogs, only stupid dog owners.

So to answer the question of the decade, regarding what's wrong with out children? Lazy, bad parenting.

• lincolnimp likes this

Harwood-Butcher
  • Harwood-Butcher

Snitch

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:36 AM Edited by Harwood-Butcher, 12 October 2013 - 10:37 AM.

I was 13 when GTA3 was released and I feel that was OK seeing as it was all cartoony and had very little realism nor swear words.

Now though every other word said by Franklin is n***er and every other driver shouts motherf***er when you cut them up.

Not to mention the sex with hookers and strippers etc. and before someone points out you could do that in GTA3 the car only went up and down, no sounds.

Now I hear every other white kid using n***er on the mic and you can't tell me they would be doing that on Battlefield so the game does have an influence on young kids.

Some fat kid was eating crisps or chips for you American's and then started....well breathing like a fat kid.

F***ing horrible, it was like getting a wet finger in the ear.

NikosBellend
  • NikosBellend

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

Now I hear every other white kid using n***er on the mic and you can't tell me they would be doing that on Battlefield so the game does have an influence on young kids.

Again, parents are the ones who affect the malleability of their impressionable young children. I was watching movies like Friday and Blood In Blood Out, as well as many other shows and movies with vulgar language and violence or just lude behavior altogether and I never behaved in this way.  You can't say that Beavis and Butthead in its hayday wasn't every bit as bad as the language used in anything else. Many of us grew up with that and probably only a fraction of us behaved in the way children do today.

Stop making excuses, folks. Entertainment isn't a scapegoat for not spending time with your kids.

G.S.T
  • G.S.T

Boss

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:56 AM

Again, parents are the ones who affect the malleability of their impressionable young children. I was watching movies like Friday and Blood In Blood Out, as well as many other shows and movies with vulgar language and violence or just lude behavior altogether and I never behaved in this way.  You can't say that Beavis and Butthead in its hayday wasn't every bit as bad as the language used in anything else. Many of us grew up with that and probably only a fraction of us behaved in the way children do today.

Stop making excuses, folks. Entertainment isn't a scapegoat for not spending time with your kids.

Nice username mate. :lol:

NoMeansYes
  • NoMeansYes

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:06 AM Edited by NoMeansYes, 12 October 2013 - 11:09 AM.

I played GTA 3 when I was a little underage, difference is that it wasn't online and didn't have chat capabilities as the internet was still pretty poor in the mainstream at that point. Also, kids today seem a lot worse than when I was one (perhaps every generation feels this way or it's the internet's influence I don't know) They just seem to massively overact to everything, are incapable of existing alongside others and come across as being really spoilt.

Think you may have hit the nail on the head there bellend, parents used to care

Vincent Johnson
  • Vincent Johnson

China

• Members
  • China

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

maybe under 15

sammclean23
  • sammclean23

Playa

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

All depends on maturity. Some 18 year olds act like 2 year olds, whereas some 10 year olds know more about the world than some olders.

TargetPractice
  • TargetPractice

I know what I know

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:41 PM

The "Age Of Majority" is still Too Young for this game. .... :-)}

Dr Kain
  • Dr Kain

Playa

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

No one younger than 15 should be playing GTA and that is only if that 15 year old is mature enough to play the game.  

As a teacher, it is disgusting when I have third graders in the class room playing GTAV.

TXF
  • TXF

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 06:06 PM Edited by TXF, 12 October 2013 - 10:38 PM.

I don't think it's a matter of a specific age. It more depends on the person's ability to handle the stuff in the game properly. If they're "mature" for their age, and aren't whiny little kids, and they're used to M rated games, then sure, let 'em play. 

If they're not used to M rated games, or they can't handle those things properly, or they're just immature about it(more so than most GTA players)..then they should probably stay away from it for now. 

I played GTA3 before I was 18, and I was fine with it.

The way I see it, if the kid is too young to understand, that you can do things in a game that you shouldn't do in real life, he shouldn't be playing it. Like, I've seen things on the news about kids stealing keys to drive their parents car, or recently, a kid got on a plane by himself claiming he thought he was playing GTA. If they can't understand not to do that, then don't let the kids play. And if the kid does do that, and people blame the game..let me say: It's the parents fault, not the game. The game clearly says Rated M, and why it's rated M. If the parents are stupid enough to give it to their kids, then it's their fault. That's like showing an 8 year old a scary bloody movie, and blaming the movie when the kid has nightmares.

As far as online goes though, if your kid acts like a kid, he probably shouldn't be on. Simple as that. And if you insist on letting him on, don't give him a mic please. The people that are actually in the right age group for rated M games, don't wanna hear your high-pitched, whiny little kid complain when he dies 40 times, or if someone steals his car.

TargetPractice
  • TargetPractice

I know what I know

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

No one younger than 15 should be playing GTA and that is only if that 15 year old is mature enough to play the game.  

As a teacher, it is disgusting when I have third graders in the class room playing GTAV.

You allow your 3rd graders to play GTAV in class? Darn, I was definitely born way too early. If that had been the case back then, there's no way I would've missed a day of school, heck, I would've even took weekend classes. :-/

No wonders this young generation is so ..........moody/edgy!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users