Gta: disappointment

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic
Otsego
  • Otsego

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 October 2002 - 08:38 PM

Admittably, I haven't played the game all that much (I cut the hell outta my hand at work, which makes it hard to hold the control ;) but I'm not as thrilled with this game as I thought I would be.  

I was expecting it to be at least on par with GTA3.  I was under the impression that you were able to go anywhere you wanted from the beginning, but after playing for only two minutes I found a blocked off bridge.  

Also, R* mentioned 40 weapons in the game, but they never mentioned that you can only hold 8 at a time.

I haven't noticed much difference in the cars that I've found so far (maybe 10-12 different ones).  They all handle pretty much the same.  

The water splashing on the screen is pretty pointless, and unrealistic.  If it obscured your vision or something, that would be different, but it's just a couple of drops on the screen.

Speaking of obscued vision, how about those blinding red sunsets?  That's a little excessive.

I'm not too impressed by the graphics so far.  I find that everything sorta blends together, making it hard to pick out certain things.  Whereas with GTA3, you could always tell what colour a car was, and where the road ends.

The sound effects seem lacking.  For instance, when you hit someone with a car in GTA3, there's a loud thud, and then usually a bump.  In Vice City though, you hardly even notice it.

The biggest thing that I noticed though, is the horrible stats screen.  The text is so small, it's completely useless.  I can't read any of the smaller menu text.

I get the impression that the whole game has been rushed.

Don't get me wrong, this game looks like it'll be quite good, but it just seems that R* skimped out on a few things.

What do you think?

Jim_root_666
  • Jim_root_666

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 October 2002 - 08:47 PM

U probably still got da trails on, goto display (If its like GTA3 press start and there will be a tab sayin display) and highlight trails and turn em off, it should make a diffrence it wont be as blurry. :D

Decoy
  • Decoy

MR. PIMP'A'HOE

• Members

Posted 31 October 2002 - 08:53 PM

i think no matter what there will be downfalls in every game....and vice city is no exception....there are a few things that i'm not keen on...but yet overall the game is good and i feel improved from gta3....i think people expect to much sometimes.....i think this game was hyped up to much...and when anything is hyped up as much as this game was...its bound to have its dissapointments....regardless its a good game.....and i'm sure the next one will be even better.

Janos
  • Janos

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 October 2002 - 09:14 PM

Well, I can't exactly agree or disagree with your disappointments, but all I can say is that if the sunsets are a bit too blinding, well then it's just fine...I live in Miami and I wouldn't expect anything less from a game that lampoons it.

desert_eagle
  • desert_eagle

I like beer

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 31 October 2002 - 10:40 PM

Quote (Otsego @ Oct. 31 2002,20:38)
Admittably, I haven't played the game all that much (I cut the hell outta my hand at work, which makes it hard to hold the control ;) but I'm not as thrilled with this game as I thought I would be.  

I was expecting it to be at least on par with GTA3.  I was under the impression that you were able to go anywhere you wanted from the beginning, but after playing for only two minutes I found a blocked off bridge.  

Also, R* mentioned 40 weapons in the game, but they never mentioned that you can only hold 8 at a time.

I haven't noticed much difference in the cars that I've found so far (maybe 10-12 different ones).  They all handle pretty much the same.  

The water splashing on the screen is pretty pointless, and unrealistic.  If it obscured your vision or something, that would be different, but it's just a couple of drops on the screen.

Speaking of obscued vision, how about those blinding red sunsets?  That's a little excessive.

I'm not too impressed by the graphics so far.  I find that everything sorta blends together, making it hard to pick out certain things.  Whereas with GTA3, you could always tell what colour a car was, and where the road ends.

The sound effects seem lacking.  For instance, when you hit someone with a car in GTA3, there's a loud thud, and then usually a bump.  In Vice City though, you hardly even notice it.

The biggest thing that I noticed though, is the horrible stats screen.  The text is so small, it's completely useless.  I can't read any of the smaller menu text.

I get the impression that the whole game has been rushed.

Don't get me wrong, this game looks like it'll be quite good, but it just seems that R* skimped out on a few things.

What do you think?

I think you are stupid, cause you obviously failed to inform about the game before you bought it. The fact about locked parts of the city was released months ago. Same thing with the class based weapon system.

And well most cars have fur wheels so in general of course a large part of them is gonna handle the same.

The trails option did the same for GTA 3 if you don)t like it turn it of. Get glasses if you can't read it.

Every big release is rushed.

Otsego
  • Otsego

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 31 October 2002 - 10:57 PM

You know what DE?  I really don't give a sh*t what you think about me.  And read a dictionary would ya?

I never said that the game graphics were blurry.  What I meant by my comment about the game graphics was that things don't seem to stick out like they did in GTA3.

And well most cars have fur wheels so in general of course a large part of them is gonna handle the same.

You're an idiot.  Do you even know what handling is?

• Members

Posted 31 October 2002 - 11:14 PM

this is my favorite ps2 game but i agree with Otsego, this game is a total half-ass rush job. they have 40 weapons(most of them suck). a few more vehichles. and the gayest part is buying buildings, totally pointless except a couple more missions. speaking of missions there is only 21 that are related to the story. then they give you helicopters and mortorcycles just so that the consumer will shut up about no mortorcycles and not being able to fly. they shouldn't have put interiors in the game because they all look like sh*t. they should have waited another 6 months and acually made some real upgrades.

Lobodude56
  • Lobodude56

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 31 October 2002 - 11:43 PM

shut up Shut up SHUT up SHUT UP!!!!!! NOOOOO I dont want to hear bbad things about my precious (I dont have it yet). Oh and DE? you are the iddiot. A person can voice there opinion if they want. They dont need people like you saying pointless crap

QuikSilvr
  • QuikSilvr

shut the f*ck up

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 November 2002 - 01:54 AM

hmm.. admittedly, i dismiss flaws such as those.. and they have said there only 8 weapons at a time, there's only 32-33 weapons, they said it would slow at times, so turn trails off, (as jim_root said) I knew it was blocked off from the beginning,

but even so, it doesn't matter. i dont dismiss fueds with people some, but i always dismiss flaws in a good game. but as far as demo discs go, i'm normally not pissed off.

and as for the stats screen, quit using your portable black and white tv. my 27" inch with surround sound is great

zeppelin2k
  • zeppelin2k

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 02:10 AM

I don't know why you are all hating so much. This game is great and is an obvious improvement over it's predecessor. It has better graphics, a bigger map, more sounds, and is better overall. I understand some people have bones to pick with this game, but the game is still basically at a higher level than GTA 3. Also, about this game being better if they spent more time on it; obviously it would have been better if the spent more time on it, but that goes for any game that is out there, games would never come out if the developers always wanted to make the game better, because a game can always be better no matter what. Also, I know for a fact people would be bitching,if the game was to come out 6 months later. But I understand why people are saying that this game could have been better, it obviously has some flaws -like the reflections off the windshields, what the hell is that, they look like light beacons- but the fact of the matter is that the game is a great game, and is game of the year undoubtably, and is undoubtably an improvement over GTA 3. Good job Rockstar. The next GTA is sure to be another improvement, and another hit.Whoever still doesn't have VC, go and get it, it's worth it.OS.O.S.
OS
O.S.

fbg111
  • fbg111

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 03:08 AM

It's easily on par with GTA3.  Same engine & gameplay, but with just about every improvement you can make without redoing the game from scratch.  I don't consider the bridge thing a big deal, especially since the whole game is unlocked after about only ten missions.

There are 34 weapons, I believe.  Not 40, but a hella lot more than GTA3.  I'm satisfied.  Especially with the chainsaw (have you tried cutting up a car yet?), the Katana (have you decapitated anyone with it yet?), the Python (one-shot kills are fun!;), the brass knuckles (I love the sound of brass on skull-bone), the M60 (which sounds a lot like a real one, and blows up troop transports with just a few shots), and the auto-shotgun (killed 30 Cuban gang members with it in 1:01 on a Rampage), etc.  There are more cool ones, but I'll stop there...

???  I assume you mean each car handles about the same as its counterpart in GTA3.  Arguable, but I won't bother.  All I say is, Motorcycles rock!  Have you not taken the time to ride one yet?  The PCJ600 is the fastest, best handling, and gives a whole new meaning to Unique Jumps.  Wheelies and Stoppies are endless source of amusement.  The Freeway is basically the classic Harley Softail, and sounds like it.  The Sanchez speaks for itself, especially when you get it dirty.

Haven't even noticed the water, but I have noticed the blood splatter on the screen when I chew up pedestrians and cops with the chainsaw.

That's one of the best graphical features of the game.  I live in the South, and that's just the way it is here during the summers.  Blinding, but warm and beautiful.  Rockstar hit the nail on the head with that effect, imho.

GTA3 takes place amidst the grey backdrop of Liberty City.  Obviously any color is going to stand out there.  VC's background is more colorful, so obviously things will blend together more.  Think of it as 80's tacky, neon camoflauge.  You'll just have to be more observant.  ;)

How about when you hit someone with the brass knuckle.  Hear the "clink"?  Or when you slash them with the Katana?  I think the sound effects are right on.  

I have no problem with it on my 24" TV.  The only thing I don't like there is that tacky stats screen wallpaper.  Ugh, hurts my eyes, but that's 80s style for you.

Yeah, you should be able to use melee weapons when driving open-air vehicles like motocycles and golf carts.  Imagine the headlines:  "Crazy Caddy Ninja Slasher Strikes Again", or "Mo-ped Machete Mutilator On the Loose!".

I really think you need to keep playing before judging.  Rockstar's brilliance is in their subtle attention to detail.  Some of the best and funniest parts of GTA3 and GT:VC don't just jump out at you, you have to go discover them.  Listen to all the radio stations, explore, experiment, try weird things, etc.  Give it more than a few hours play before getting your money back.

fbg111
  • fbg111

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 03:14 AM

Quote (zeppelin2k @ Nov. 01 2002,02:10)

but the fact of the matter is that the game is a great game, and is game of the year undoubtably, and is undoubtably an improvement over GTA 3.

I doubt it will get GoTY.  Editors usually subtract points for sequals  and franchise games, and this is the mother of all those.  The 80's theme and the improvements make it a great game and give it a nice freshness, but it's still GTA3.  Same formula, different setting.  It'll be a contender, but considering that all 3 consoles have great new games coming out this winter, I doubt GTA:VC will get it.

fbg111
  • fbg111

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 03:22 AM

PS - Have you discovered the joys of shooting guys off motorcycles yet?  You can target them while they're driving by...

kingofplayers6
  • kingofplayers6

Rat

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 04:59 AM

alright alright so u dont think it was worth ur money and blah blah but i think u really need to try to enjoy some of the great things r* has done with the game try to enjoy and have fun with the stuff i think ur trying to pick out some of the bad stuff and mistakes but come on the game is awesome... i mean of course theres going to be downfalls of every game but this game i really do think u have to be a picky person not to like it.... try playing it again and try to enjoy it more

globe_enjoi
  • globe_enjoi

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 08:06 AM

i dunno how you can have so many bad things to say about the "game of the year"... i eman of course there is gonna be flaws in it, you cannot expect to have a perfect game...i would like to see you even come up with an idea even half as good as VC.

:die:

desert_eagle
  • desert_eagle

I like beer

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 01 November 2002 - 08:08 AM

Sorry if I sounded like an azzh0le, but it aint easy seeing people dissin the game before I even have a chance of playing it

Syntel
  • Syntel

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 08:18 AM

I like Vice City, it's been more than worth the $40.00 I spent on it. I don't believe I like it as much as I did GTA3, it seems as if 3 will have an overall after play value than vice. However I am enjoying it so far.

nagazaki
  • nagazaki

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 08:35 AM

Yeah man, you tell im! You the Ginner!

slabz
  • slabz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 08:42 AM

of course there is gonna be sh*t cars in the first section of the city..there was in GTA3 aswell...get over it and as for carrying only 8 weapons... how many f#$king weapons do you want..

just play the game for what it is not what it isn't!!!!!

nagazaki
  • nagazaki

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 08:56 AM

yeh you tlel him, carrying 40 weapons would be to clunky, and what do you want all the cars adn helocopters at the beginning, wheres the fun in that, you suck guy!

chargr67
  • chargr67

IT

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 08:59 AM

People People People CHILL OUT!

i mean come on the game has been out for "4" days and ur all missing a importen part of vice city ..... "ITS NOT GTA4!!!!!!!" ok u think they gave "London 1969" 5 star reveiws thats all this is ..or that what it was suppost to be. but people hipe'd the hell out of it(im talkn about U) so  :r*:  obivously felt it need'd more than just an "expantion pack" feel to it. Y do u like gta3 more ill tell u y casue its not dated(takes place now) the main charactor is U and it has more of a big city vibe witch is what "most" of us want. vice is cool in its own way and so is liberty there both unique."Colors blur everything" no $hit and u wonder y its not the world has changed since the 80's....hmmmmm i hope they dont make a 60s game u guys will rip it to shreds.

chargr67
  • chargr67

IT

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 09:07 AM

The big thing that kills vice is the "80s theme" cause when u got into GTA3 it seem'd like a new day and that world was on the same track as reallity. but in vice ur play actions that aready happend. it doent seem knew. its a "mental" thats y i thought the 80s thing was a big risk. but it turnd out fine.

GTA                  *****
GTA london 1969 *****
GTA 2               *****
GTA 3               *****
GTA vice city     *****

there all awsome for there own resones

keep'm coming  :r*: !!!!!!!

Barton Waterduck
  • Barton Waterduck

retired modder

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 09:33 AM

Seems like you all agree with the game not being perfect and that it has some serious flaws.

The only thing I didn't like about GTA 3 was the third person view (on the PS2 version). I don't have GTA VC, but, since it is a ps2 game, I expect it to have third person view.

I remember reading some of your whishes for the gta vc. Some of you wanted to be able to go inside building and buy building and other "The Sims" related stuff. I immediatly answered that post with something like "I really don't want this game to turn into a The Sims simulator". What I think has happened with this game is they focused so much on those things that they ran out of time making the 100+ missions. And they probably ran out of space too.

nagazaki
  • nagazaki

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 01:34 PM

this game is the shizness, so just leave it ok (I haven't played it yet but it sounds soooo cool.

:blush:

The End
  • The End

I love ice hockey

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 02:24 PM

I give the game....91%

Gangster__Man
  • Gangster__Man

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 02:49 PM

So is it better then expected or worse because I frankly dont have it yet. My EB swap dates and everything. I live in Australia so I havent had the chance to play this marvel but if everyone is saying its crap then whats the poin tof getting the game. Im still getting it tho no matter what

Hidden_Evil
  • Hidden_Evil

.:{Yakuza}:. Chopper Pilot

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 03:24 PM

Ok a few questions for you people that already have it, if you have already gotten to the helicopter part, is there a limitied amount of fuel?can you only watch in the cinematic view?and can you hove over one spot??and secondly, check out this site|here|  and look at the far right side, it says this cd contains a unuique cheat code for grand theft auto:vice city, can anyone tell me what this means???

Thanks,
~~~Evil~~~

Otsego
  • Otsego

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 10:16 PM

slabz, nagazaki, get bent!  I'm allowed to have an opinion.  Did I say the cars suck?  No!  Where the hell did you get that from?  I said they all seem to have the same handling (motorcycles excluded)  The infernus doesn't handle much differently than the Oceanic.

The weapon class system doesn't bug me (cept that a golf club, and chainsaw are in the same class ;) ), but I had no idea that existed until I played the game.  Same with the bridges.  I like it that way, but I was under the impression that you were able to go anywhere right from the start.

obivously felt it need'd more than just an "expantion pack" feel to it.

Actually, I was hoping this game would have an expansion feel to it.

Y do u like gta3 more ill tell u y casue its not dated(takes place now) the main charactor is U and it has more of a big city vibe witch is what "most" of us want

Wrong.  I like the 80's theme.  

Colors blur everything

I never said that.  Did you actually read anything I typed?

I like this game, I never said I didn't.  I'm glad I bought it.  The game was just hyped way too much.

FunnyMoney54
  • FunnyMoney54

Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 10:27 PM

Quote (98766654321 @ Oct. 31 2002,23:14)
and the gayest part is buying buildings, totally pointless except a couple more missions.

Are you serious? The best part of this whole game, is that you can buy buildings. That's the whole reason I'm having fun with it. Who cares about missions, they aren't fun, what's fun is driving around and causing havoc.

Wheelman
  • Wheelman

n00b patrol

• Members

Posted 01 November 2002 - 10:53 PM

Quote (Otsego @ Nov. 01 2002,22:16)
The weapon class system doesn't bug me, but I had no idea that existed until I played the game.

So why, in your original post, did you imply that your relative lack of knowledge about Vice City is somehow the game's fault?

And since you initially described them as a disappointment, why are you now saying that you like the limited weapon carrying and the blocked off bridges?

I haven't played it yet myself, so I can't comment on your observations, but from what I've read elsewhere it appears as though you may benefit from playing the game some more before posting your conclusions. Yes, some things will be different from GTA3. That's because it's not GTA3...  :sigh:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users