Photo

GTA V Then and Now

1,817 replies to this topic
Blackous666
  • Blackous666

CoD HATER

• Members

Posted 18 June 2014 - 08:34 AM

We should wait for next gen version...so we can see.. that 1st trailer was captured on PC or on nextgen ...

• fac316 likes this

Marabunta Grande
  • Marabunta Grande

Azul y Blanco

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:37 AM Edited by <Yang3, 18 June 2014 - 09:44 AM.

Given by Rockstar's bold statement of using all of the Next Gen consoles' power, and the improvements we've seen so far, does anyone think that Rockstar would go from this...

Spoiler

Back to this...

Spoiler

Yeah, I might be getting a bit ahead of myself, right now.

Let's pray, my brother. :D

That's my favorite scene in Trailer 1, BTW.

Though, I'm obviously disappointed that A LOT of things had changed since trailer 1, at least, I'm not whining about it like I don't understand LG's capabilities.

Also, it's very great that even the vegetation have a much better alpha texture now. Their leaves really look like one, instead of the usual "thick" textures.

where the hell is this place?

GTAV002.jpg

This seems like a tall waterfall to me.

• CoZinus likes this

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:31 PM

Honestly guys. Shut the f*ck up about the trees. I too was first disappointed by the lack of trees but I just did a holiday all over America driving from SF to LA and I noticed how baron the mountains around LA truly are. I thought it was a console limitation thing but honestly, that's how it looks in real life.

The amount of foliage and grass, smaller details, plus the overall quality of the trees is the major thing. It's a huge improvement.

Sorry to keep going on about trees, but maybe it was the particular areas you were in. 

Try Idyllwild CA.

idyllwild-hike-246.jpg

It's near LA and it looks like an actual forest. 

Rockstar would never do this by the way. I was just trying to prove you wrong for saying there aren't that many dense fores in SoCal.

• theGTAking101 and AlasClarin like this

BisP
  • BisP

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 18 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

f*ck you for being geographically correct, Cockstar! 

wKnE3Tx.jpg

palm-springs-windmills-e1270933965684.jp

• Ash_735, B Dawg, GourangaMaster and 2 others like this

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 June 2014 - 01:00 PM Edited by _Kindled_, 18 June 2014 - 01:00 PM.

F*ck you, Cockstar! 

201111030428101d1.jpg

eroszondoffice.jpg

Fixed.

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:01 PM Edited by GourangaMaster, 18 June 2014 - 02:02 PM.

F*ck you, Cockstar! 

201111030428101d1.jpg

eroszondoffice.jpg

Fixed.

You didn't fix anything. The wind turbines are completely different to the ones in V.

Tehachapi_CA_IMG_1185.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_

These are located up tehachapi in bakersfield, far north of LA, more mid cal than south.

The pic sibs44 posted is from a windwarm in Palm springs which is actually south of LA and situated close to the real life equivalent of the Alamo sea(Salton sea) . Same Turbines, same topography and same geographical proximity as in V. Coincidence. I think not.

963125.jpg

• Ash_735, BisP, theGTAking101 and 1 other like this

RaduG
  • RaduG

Fall my ass!

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:22 PM Edited by RaduG, 18 June 2014 - 02:23 PM.

anyone know where this place is so i can take pic

Spoiler

I already made a comparison of that shot a while back.

ZjIeEPY.jpg

It's right here:

eu0HJYE.jpg

• theGTAking101 and GTA564 like this

VIce City Again
  • VIce City Again

V is on PC

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:07 PM

Anyone wanna find this one? It's really hard to get the weather like that in game.

781-1280.jpg

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 18 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

I've seen a strike on that spot during the mission where Trev travels to LS during the

Spoiler
I'd assume they just stopped off near there during that mission.

InfiniteTias
  • InfiniteTias

GTA Veteran

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

Anyone wanna find this one? It's really hard to get the weather like that in game.

781-1280.jpg

I really hope that with the enchanted weather effects for CG and PC we'll get weather like this again..
I remember seing this picture and got really excited for the weather in the game. Because i'm a sucker for weather in games  :lol:

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:13 PM Edited by S1LV3R_W0LF, 18 June 2014 - 06:15 PM.

The amount of trees missing or changed is really disappointing in both gifs.

Is there a voice in your head that tells you to complain about trees? Trees aren't the world's problems, you know. There other things to notice are changed than damn trees.

Anyways, can someone explain this to me?

264c8wO.jpg
One of the trees on the Current Gen version (PS4) don't match with a tree on the last gen version. It's quite obvious that the tree has been changed and moved up closer. Which brings me to a conclusion: 

If Rockstar payed so much attention to this particular forest setting and did more besides add vegetation. Then their must be an even bigger improvement to this game from the LG versions. I mean, that nasty old bush from the left picture is even gone.

And yes, I mean trees, too.

Given by Rockstar's bold statement of using all of the Next Gen consoles' power, and the improvements we've seen so far, does anyone think that Rockstar would go from this...
Spoiler

Back to this...
Spoiler

No you're not, you're getting exactly to what I've been saying since the beginning. That tree detail was discussed a few times back in this thread but yes that is what i was talking about the use of Tessellation, with Tessellation you no longer need or have to use copy-past models increasing the number of polygons like it would do with LG consoles, in order to do that you would need a different model with different texture just for 1 single different tree and that would stress LG consoles to the limit.

Reason why these small details are a big indication of the actual changes which in my opinion can be massive. Another example... we've seen 2 cars interiors both with a unique wheel, unique car HUD... now taking this into account it means each car will have it's own interior model, imagine the work of that, trees, vegetation and specific interiors are nothing compared to this... just imagine, any new car released for online... will have it's new own interior, or at least a different wheel. You can't use the same interior of a sports car in a wagon.

_________

Honestly guys. Shut the f*ck up about the trees. I too was first disappointed by the lack of trees but I just did a holiday all over America driving from SF to LA and I noticed how baron the mountains around LA truly are. I thought it was a console limitation thing but honestly, that's how it looks in real life.

The amount of foliage and grass, smaller details, plus the overall quality of the trees is the major thing. It's a huge improvement.

And why don't you do us all a favor and keep in your corner if you have nothing to add or smart to say? The thing about trees it's not the trees itself, it's the hints they've been giving since the beginning, the same hints I wrote about in this same thread long ago about the vegetation... and now just look vegetation is back, it wasn't a design choice like so many said it was. These small hints are what we have to grab to construct useful and possible expectations base don something... and not just "Oh they just did that because they wanted too, because it looked better"... when in fact we know that isn't truth and makes no sense unless there is another reason... which seems to be the case.

Once again... GTAV was created as a CG title and reduced to LG... exactly like WD or any other title, the only difference is that they didn't talked about it before and made people buy it believing it was unique... they were clever there is no doubt about that, but very predictable if you use logic and common sense.

Spoiler

I didn't played the game yet and I don't know where it is, but one thing I know... those shaders look to good to be from LG. And you can make a comparison to the many side by side videos of LG and CG and you'll see what I'm talking about in the sea water.
  • Deji, victm92 and _Kindled_ like this

LotusRIP
  • LotusRIP

King of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 18 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

Sorry to keep going on about trees, but maybe it was the particular areas you were in. 

Try Idyllwild CA.
idyllwild-hike-246.jpg

It's near LA and it looks like an actual forest. 

Rockstar would never do this by the way. I was just trying to prove you wrong for saying there aren't that many dense fores in SoCal.

I was talking more about LA itself, not the entire state. Coming into LA the Santa Monica Mountains looked empty and baron just like the game. In Burbank I noticed all the mountains around the same. Like really bald looking Brown coloured mountains. I realise there are so many other areas in the state with dense forest but the game is set in their own version of LA and the surrounds so I see no fault on their part. But I don't see much problem with lack of trees, but the lack of grass and finer details is definitely what was missing in the last gen version.

ddyoung
  • ddyoung

Get freaky... Not that freaky

• Members
  • England

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:31 PM

Spoiler

Back to this...

Spoiler

Let's pray, my brother. :D

That's my favorite scene in Trailer 1, BTW.

Though, I'm obviously disappointed that A LOT of things had changed since trailer 1, at least, I'm not whining about it like I don't understand LG's capabilities.

Also, it's very great that even the vegetation have a much better alpha texture now. Their leaves really look like one, instead of the usual "thick" textures.

GTAV002.jpg

This seems like a tall waterfall to me.

I think it's Lago Zancudo or one of the rivers leading out of the Alamo Sea

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:47 PM Edited by _Kindled_, 18 June 2014 - 10:47 PM.

The thing about trees it's not the trees itself, it's the hints they've been giving since the beginning, the same hints I wrote about in this same thread long ago about the vegetation... and now just look vegetation is back, it wasn't a design choice like so many said it was. These small hints are what we have to grab to construct useful and possible expectations base don something... and not just "Oh they just did that because they wanted too, because it looked better"... when in fact we know that isn't truth and makes no sense unless there is another reason... which seems to be the case.

That brings me to a new theory. Maybe the NG trailer was created a while back. They have to find the right spots to fit the song "From Nowhere", right. That song was created in January. It is now six months later. Who knows what improvements they could have done by now.

And I agree with you, it was just a stupid design choice. If lack of trees was just another one of Rockstar's design chioces then vegetation would be one, too, right?

Think again. 

Spoiler

That again proves that things like "less trees" or "lack of vegetation" was only a LG thing.

• fac316 and Smaher. like this

iam2fresh
  • iam2fresh

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

well i got it not a easy angle to do though

0_0.jpg

grand-theft-auto-v-gta5-gta-5-debut-trai

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 18 June 2014 - 10:58 PM

I think this trailer is very recent... remember that R* NYC job that I said was for the game presentation trailer (that job offer started in March/ April) that had to be mind blowing? Yeah, it seems it was exactly for this.

And indeed, it wasn't a design choice that was just an excuse to keep away any hint for the real reason... but someone said something very interesting and that has a point, and that is unless Rockstar creates some division for LG and CG jobs, they need to keep online the same as LG. They can just add the extra stuff for SP and keep the same for Online, but that would be awkward, But one thing I'm sure about the tree models won't just be copy past, even if the number is the same the variety and possibly dimensions will be different. The vegetation on the other hand won't make much difference for created jobs, unless they create something that let you keep the jobs as they are and it moves the spot to the nearest "empty space" ...

It's obvious that this version was handcrafted and it didn't started few months ago... now let's see how it turns out in the end. Oh and let's hope that SONY doesn't pay ROCKSTAR to do the same sht as they did with UBISOFT (not confirmed yet but most likely) to make the PC version look like the PS4 and locked the cool visuals we've een before... that was a low move. Imagine if they do the same to the PC version of V... :/

GTA564
  • GTA564

gta>

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:16 PM Edited by GTA564, 18 June 2014 - 11:18 PM.

@iam2fresh
The broom is gone, I'm guessing it's because of the limitations of lg consoles

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:25 PM Edited by S1LV3R_W0LF, 18 June 2014 - 11:28 PM.

@iam2fresh

The cables are no longer there neither the shoes, but the game was in a very early stage maybe they decided they didn't need those details there, there are also boxes missing and other small objects and the garbage too, but that is dynamic so ... a way or another nothing of that would make any difference in performance terms.

Although that water effect and the real time reflection... does the console version have that actual splash? I ask this because if you pay attention to the comparison trailer in that art with the truck if you pay attention... the LG version effect is like a splat of water, but in the CG video you actually see the smooth water effect when the wheel slides over it like in real life.

Also in the back and this was taken from a motion video, that "blur" effect that I mentioned few posts back (also known as DOF) is there.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 18 June 2014 - 11:37 PM

@iam2fresh

The cables are no longer there neither the shoes, but the game was in a very early stage maybe they decided they didn't need those details there, there are also boxes missing and other small objects and the garbage too, but that is dynamic so ... a way or another nothing of that would make any difference in performance terms.

You know, I didn't think there were any shoes hanging anywhere in the entire map & after I read your comment, I literally walked down an alley & saw some. Although they weren't hanging from cables. The current gen version definitely has some hanging from cables near Franklin's house, as shown in the trailer.

GTA564
  • GTA564

gta>

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:00 AM Edited by GTA564, 19 June 2014 - 04:44 AM.

@iam2fresh

Although that water effect and the real time reflection... does the console version have that actual splash? I ask this because if you pay attention to the comparison trailer in that art with the truck if you pay attention... the LG version effect is like a splat of water, but in the CG video you actually see the smooth water effect when the wheel slides over it like in real life.

Also in the back and this was taken from a motion video, that "blur" effect that I mentioned few posts back (also known as DOF) is there.

I checked this area
And I tried to see if there is an effect when running on the puddles
The water there is actually texture, so there was no effect

VIce City Again
  • VIce City Again

V is on PC

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:09 AM Edited by GtaV Is Coming To Pc, 19 June 2014 - 01:09 AM.

I swear the beta version is a different game, the more I see it the better it looks.

• fac316 and theGTAking101 like this

AlasClarin
  • AlasClarin

Homeboy

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:18 AM

F*ck you, Cockstar! 

201111030428101d1.jpg

eroszondoffice.jpg

Fixed.

You didn't fix anything. The wind turbines are completely different to the ones in V.

Tehachapi_CA_IMG_1185.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_

These are located up tehachapi in bakersfield, far north of LA, more mid cal than south.

The pic sibs44 posted is from a windwarm in Palm springs which is actually south of LA and situated close to the real life equivalent of the Alamo sea(Salton sea) . Same Turbines, same topography and same geographical proximity as in V. Coincidence. I think not.

963125.jpg

Trees are resource expensive, that's why there aren't too many on PS3 / Xbox 360, not because Rockstar wanted to be "geographically correct".

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:35 AM Edited by NYC PATROL, 19 June 2014 - 01:55 AM.

I swear the beta version is a different game, the more I see it the better it looks.

Luckily, looks like that's the version we are getting on PS4/X1 and PC. (Really close at least)

781-1280.jpg

That weather pattern really is rare. I've gotten it maybe 3 times since the game released. However, all three of those times it wasn't lightning or raining. I had the same light bluish/gray/white sky

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:50 AM

That weather pattern really is rare. I've gotten it maybe 3 times since the game released. However, all three of those times it wasn't lightning or raining. I had the same light bluish/gray sky

You must have seen it at least once with lightning and raining as it's forced for "Friends Reunited" during the destruction of Stab City.
  • NYC PATROL and kj2022 like this

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:54 AM

That weather pattern really is rare. I've gotten it maybe 3 times since the game released. However, all three of those times it wasn't lightning or raining. I had the same light bluish/gray sky

You must have seen it at least once with lightning and raining as it's forced for "Friends Reunited" during the destruction of Stab City.

Hmm, you know what you're right. Forgot about that :^:  But yeah otherwise during free roam I've never seen it with rain.

iam2fresh
  • iam2fresh

Peon

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:13 AM

anyone know where this place is so i can take pic

Spoiler

I already made a comparison of that shot a while back.

ZjIeEPY.jpg

It's right here:

eu0HJYE.jpg

my bad good job though better than mine

InTheShadowsSince04
  • InTheShadowsSince04

Mark Chump

• BUSTED!

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:00 AM

I think this trailer is very recent... remember that R* NYC job that I said was for the game presentation trailer (that job offer started in March/ April) that had to be mind blowing? Yeah, it seems it was exactly for this.

And indeed, it wasn't a design choice that was just an excuse to keep away any hint for the real reason... but someone said something very interesting and that has a point, and that is unless Rockstar creates some division for LG and CG jobs, they need to keep online the same as LG. They can just add the extra stuff for SP and keep the same for Online, but that would be awkward, But one thing I'm sure about the tree models won't just be copy past, even if the number is the same the variety and possibly dimensions will be different. The vegetation on the other hand won't make much difference for created jobs, unless they create something that let you keep the jobs as they are and it moves the spot to the nearest "empty space" ...

It's obvious that this version was handcrafted and it didn't started few months ago... now let's see how it turns out in the end. Oh and let's hope that SONY doesn't pay ROCKSTAR to do the same sht as they did with UBISOFT (not confirmed yet but most likely) to make the PC version look like the PS4 and locked the cool visuals we've een before... that was a low move. Imagine if they do the same to the PC version of V... :/

Watch Dogs was a visual disgrace...i dont know how it could be considered current gen looking the way it does, and  games like gtav on last gen having sooooooooo much...i was disappointed

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:44 PM

Every time I talked with insiders or people somehow connected with Rocstar that knew what was going on, and I asked how it would be V CG compared to what we've seen of WD, they're reaction was a big laugh. I don't know if they actually knew that the game would be released so much different from 2012 E3, but they always said V CG graphics would clean the floor with WD CG... fas as it goes they seem to be right, can't wait to see a new trailer or some in-game screenshots.
  • InTheShadowsSince04 and A.O.D.88 like this

the_sniper_29
  • the_sniper_29

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:33 PM

Haha, something I noticed in that article. They added a stop sign in the Next-Gen version (either that, or who ever played the PS3 version knocked it over)

PS4
http://images.euroga...y/90/format/jpg
PS3
http://images.euroga...y/90/format/jpg

There is a stop sign there, they must have knocked it down or something.

sgyp3bs.jpg

ric4rd094
  • ric4rd094

Remember who you are... :)

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:40 PM Edited by ric4rd094, 28 June 2014 - 02:44 PM.

^ Nice comparisons. Has anyone been able to make one for this screenshot?

arddbUK.png

yes.
DKUwCld.png7gGVIXG.png
animated gif
Spoiler

I did these screenshots today (difficult angle to catch):

uJXUJSm.jpg

gWBPM3f.jpg

A lot of threes were cut :/

• GTA564, Voggs and CoZinus like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users