Photo

GTA V Then and Now

1,312 replies to this topic
brwhizz
  • brwhizz

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 08 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

They did the same thing with san andreas and gta 4 so I always knew it wouldn't look the same as they show it. As they say, you can't bullsheet a bullsheetter!

but it DOES look the same as they presented it, wanna give some examples of what looks so different to you?

It looks different. Look at my comparison. There is no 3D grass, the window is not open, there is no trash, etc. Overall is not that different.

But that's the way development works (at least on consoles). As they add more things, they need to remove others to maintain the performance.

You can see in the trailer screenshot that even the background is different as the map wasn't finished.

Yeah, but there are plenty of other houses in the game that do feature trash-containers, weeds in the front yard, etc; I think you're wrong to automatically assume that Rockstar changed things for technical reasons - a lot of decisions were probably made from an artistic point of view, where the developers just felt that they wanted to change the look of some things. 

• SgtPEPPERR and pilscy like this

Geeteeaifive
  • Geeteeaifive

Andrew

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:34 PM

The trailer is obviously made using PC version of the game, or the one inside the development program. U can see stuff has more polygons, railings, metal pieces, are beefier. Theres slight fog and distance blur, sh*t that old gen consoles never had. I would buy it if it was just the fog, it can be post processing, but beefier metal pieces, better buildings, naw.

• pilscy likes this

victm92
  • victm92

Snitch

• Members

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:06 PM

I know it has been made at least twice but here you go:

0_0.jpg

QVn4NqI.jpg

• GTA-Freak-Vi likes this

GTA-Freak-Vi
  • GTA-Freak-Vi

"Sorry for bad grammar, I'm at KFC"

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

0_0.jpg
QVn4NqI.jpg

Nicely done!
  • nomoris likes this

IceHot100
  • IceHot100

Out of Order

• Members

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:00 PM

I feel disappointed because i thought the game would look like the first trailer.

Actually better because it took 2 years until release!

But yeah, PC version we are waiting.

:^: :^: :^:

Look at my signature. This beast can't wait to tear GTA V's ass up.

If you ever get to touch its ass, that is...

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:42 PM Edited by S1LV3R_W0LF, 09 January 2014 - 11:44 PM.

http://prod.cloud.ro...w-ttrDQ/0_0.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QVn4NqI.jpg

Jeez I just noticed this now, not only there is a huge cut of the vegetation but in the variation, look at those beautiful "pink" and palm trees removed. If that was for artistic impression and not resources who did it is an idiot, the scene was way better before. And the water shaders and reflections got also a lot worst, in fact is a huge difference in terms of objects reflection and detail... although I can't understand how things like those huge buildings that are far, far away can even reflect in that water, it's not physically possible. And the funny thing is that the far away buildings reflect in the water but the huge palm trees that are a lot closer don't.

Also a lot of phone poles were removed and the wire of the ones visible can't be seen compared to the older picture.

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

This thread is so sad.
  • RyanBurnsRed likes this

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:34 AM

This thread is so sad.

Truth hurts, the faster you realize it the less you'll suffer of disappointment.

victm92
  • victm92

Snitch

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:54 PM Edited by victm92, 14 January 2014 - 02:49 PM.

Thanks guys, definitely you inspired me to do some more. 

Well, this is my try: (and a plus).

gtavcuban800_zpsab5c3b14.png

795-1280.jpg

Girl_Next_Door
  • Girl_Next_Door

Snitch

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:35 PM

This thread is depressing. :(

• grumpy cat meme and IanE55 like this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:39 PM

Good effort but it's not really the same weather, it's noon clear in the promo shot where as yours is a bit morning overcast, which yeah, is going to affect the draw distance a lot.

freedom
  • freedom

Trick

• Members

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

If Rockstar learn anything from this thread, it would be not to show the game in development.

GUCCI_MANE_PIZZA_PARTY
  • GUCCI_MANE_PIZZA_PARTY

I'm a little scared of being a slut.

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:53 AM

Do it again, but in clear, noonish weather and fly above the sand. Good attempt though. Just need to fly closer inland at a different time.

Girl_Next_Door
  • Girl_Next_Door

Snitch

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:01 AM Edited by Girl_Next_Door, 12 January 2014 - 09:01 AM.

Differnces I noticed:

If that is the pc version, or just a polished one, the sky is NEAT!! Look at the cloud definition. Look at the vibrant coloring of the environment. Just look at the detailing. Close to giving you the same vibe as vice city which had the best gta vibe till now. If this is the pc version, well.. I'll be getting a new pc.

Geeteeaifive
  • Geeteeaifive

Andrew

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:00 PM Edited by Geeteeaifive, 12 January 2014 - 01:01 PM.

I feel disappointed because i thought the game would look like the first trailer.

Actually better because it took 2 years until release!

But yeah, PC version we are waiting.

By the time they release the game, the engine in which it's made and all the graphics and textures stay the same, only a bit improved. SO essentially the game is not from 2013 but 2011 at the earliest.

Differnces I noticed:

If that is the pc version, or just a polished one, the sky is NEAT!! Look at the cloud definition. Look at the vibrant coloring of the environment. Just look at the detailing. Close to giving you the same vibe as vice city which had the best gta vibe till now. If this is the pc version, well.. I'll be getting a new pc.

Yeah, the trailer is definitely taken from pc or dev program. Console lacks a lot of stuff pc will have. 1080p 60 fps, i just hope it's better optimized than gta iv, because that runs crappy on quad. Before that i've ran it on 2 core laptop, which was okay, average 25fps, but on a quad, not getting over 50 stable fps is bad. Since consoles don't have a decent gpu, most of the work is done on it's cpu.

• Edward-Is-A-Flunky45 and BlackScout like this

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:16 AM Edited by S1LV3R_W0LF, 14 January 2014 - 12:18 AM.

Even with the colors wrong and the different type of weather conditions, I doubt anyone will be able to recreate anything even similar to the sharpness of that picture.

And I'd love to be proven wrong, but 5 minutes ago I watched it live on an XBOX360 and damn, it's not even close. Even with improved Draw Distance the LOD of distant assets is miles away from what is displayed in that screen.

Edward-Is-A-Flunky45
  • Edward-Is-A-Flunky45

Frazy as Cruck

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

tYMCXYJ.jpg

sLvdXYM.jpg

I had a feeling that scene looked too good to be true, but I never thought they were going to completely obliterate every detail. Either Rockstar highly overestimated the consoles' limitations, or they intentionally mislead us about the graphics.

I'd say the first one, since they delayed the game. And yeah, I thought about that too. 

This is a very good thread. No one's bitching or yelling at each other.

RememberToTaper
  • RememberToTaper

PUSH through the BURN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:09 AM

How did I miss this cool thread. Great pics!

Geeteeaifive
  • Geeteeaifive

Andrew

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:32 AM Edited by Geeteeaifive, 14 January 2014 - 08:35 AM.

Compare this pls....

official-screenshot-franklin-on-a-quad.j

Just imagine that same picture, but no trees.

Console limitations, pc version should have things fleshed out considerably more if it's not just a plain port from console to pc, which is exactly why i hate console fags, They're happy with an inferior game.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

which is exactly why i hate console fags, They're happy with an inferior game.

*sigh* And this is why I hate CERTAIN types of PC Gamers, they always play that oh so superior card and HAVE to bash console gamers.

• Gantons Most Wanted, stjimmy3, ten-a-penny and 2 others like this

one55
  • one55

Dirty Playstation Peasant!

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

Honestly, I don't know what the hell you're all complaining about. I followed this game from the day it was announced and I didn't think the game would look anywhere near what it actually does. Damn, some of these comparisons are identical. 

You have to remember that Rockstar did this with 8/9 year old hardware. That's pretty impressive. Of course it will look better on PC so why are all you PC gamers complaining? You're not playing the console version are you? Just you all keep waiting for it to be announced for your platform. As for me, the game looks amazing and I'm completely happy with it on my PS3. Well done to Rockstar.

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

If Rockstar learn anything from this thread, it would be not to show the game in development.

They tried that once, remember? Members of this forum started to stalk the devs so.. 

victm92
  • victm92

Snitch

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

@Ash 735 & @GUCCI_MANE_PIZZA_PARTY

Yes. I'm aware of the difference in weather/time and position, but it was my best try... and as other user said, I think it is impossible to recreate the picture as shown in the official screenshot, plus I think it is best to dedicate my efforts to recreate other screens, though there are definitely some that are also impossible to replicate within the game (as this).

lol232
  • lol232

We stealin' all da gold!

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

The game looks the same as the first trailer to me, the only ones complaining are typical PC gamers.

I'm a PC gamer and I'm not complaining. The game looks great, of course I can't wait for the PC version, but I bought a PS3 just to play the hell out of this game, I just couldn't wait.
The game looks similar to the first trailer, if anything there's a slight difference, it might be a console limitation, but I'm not a PC gamer who would should "HAHA sh*tTY CONSOLES"... At least no anymore.
  • ten-a-penny likes this

sibs44
  • sibs44

Ghetto Star

• Members

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

The first trailer had skylighting and better lighting on character models AFAIK.

D3ADSH0T
  • D3ADSH0T

We'll make diamonds from their asses.

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

How about this one, it shouldn't be hard to reproduce:

795-1280.jpg

By the way what was the alleged horse down there in the right side?

I remember something about a horse in this pic yes.

Look at all the trees on Chiliad to the right. That is the exact same location as the hiker scene in Trailer 1. The last gen does not have that much trees in that location. So this pic is obviously from the pc version and the trees might actually be back in the NG/PC version.

RaduG
  • RaduG

Fall my ass!

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:59 PM Edited by RaduG, 19 January 2014 - 03:08 PM.

It looks different. Look at my comparison. There is no 3D grass, the window is not open, there is no trash, etc. Overall is not that different.

But that's the way development works (at least on consoles). As they add more things, they need to remove others to maintain the performance.

You can see in the trailer screenshot that even the background is different as the map wasn't finished.

Yeah, but there are plenty of other houses in the game that do feature trash-containers, weeds in the front yard, etc; I think you're wrong to automatically assume that Rockstar changed things for technical reasons - a lot of decisions were probably made from an artistic point of view, where the developers just felt that they wanted to change the look of some things. 

I know that. If you read my other posts you'll see that I even defended the console version. While I agree that some changes were made for artistic purposes, you can't deny that some of the details were removed because of the technical limitations.

Here are most of my comparisons. Sadly, I can't make comparisons anymore because my PS3 got the YLOD.

b2hkmBW.jpg

7QmyTVp.jpg

Spoiler

http://i.imgur.com/xT4RDJo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/RDaOQMY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1cSx1fL.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ckODGJj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/77fVxqd.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Z7uTGYP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/r1Ticz5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/31kIQwr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7wLUq08.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MODkc87.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tav7RL1.jpg

• Midnightz, Choco Taco, stjimmy3 and 2 others like this

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 19 January 2014 - 03:59 PM Edited by PkUnzipper, 19 January 2014 - 04:10 PM.

OMG, on the last screen they removed some trees, Cockstar lied to us once again !!! Preorder cancelled !!!!!!

Beside, very good idea, OP!

They did replace them with palms so what? 

Are you f*cking retarded or what?

@Powner811:  You're either on a PMS power trip or totally underestimated the power of  /sarcasm>  in the OP's cyber tone. :lol:

Anyhow, doesn't look like they replaced the palms. The trees are still there (but off camera immediately to the left in the shot).  If you look at the graffiti letters on the wall, you'll see the letters in the original shot (pic #2) was taken further down at the "TO" in Los Santos. 

The OP shot (pic #1) was taken from a different angle further up the wall.  But pointing more toward the wall at the "SA" in Los Santos.  If the OP had zoomed out a bit more--and turned a bit to the left--he might have captured the trees. :rol:

What bugs me the most about that beach shot at the lighthouse is that dog. The only time I ever saw any dogs (as in SIX NPCs dogs PLURAL) in SP was at that dog park near Micheal's house in the Vinewood hills.  And that was when i switched back to Micheal from Trevor.  Dogs were running all over the place chasing frisbees etc.  Saw exactly ONE dog when I randomly visited the park with Micheal.

Didn't bother trying to visit with Trevor, as the 2 star+ level for illegal hunting wasn't worth the headache. And it's a good thing I didn't waste the time, because I saw ZERO dogs whenever I tried visiting with Franklin and Chop. :/  I did see one dog at the beach near the amusement park pier with Franklin though.  But haven't seen any in the beach areas since then. I had Chop follow Franklin for a walk along the beach like in the trailer.  But doing that didn't do anything to increase his happiness in that annoyingly useless Chop app.

So that beach shot in the trailer was a bit misleading. Because for all the aggro the app gives you, R* could have fleshed out Chop's role a bit more. i.e make his behavior in SP match the one in the app.  What's the whole point of trying to keep Chop happy in the app, if you can't do the same in game? So chop can do tricks in game. Great.  But he can't steal bikinis or chase frisbees at the beach? Attacking NPCs only kills them and gives Franklin a wanted level.  Attacking Ballas and other gang members only gets poor Chop shot, or run over by ped cars etc. etc. /end of rant>

Anyhow, good work on these photo shots OP. Keep them coming :cool:

boxmonster
  • boxmonster

Disinformation Agent

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

which is exactly why i hate console fags, They're happy with an inferior game.

*sigh* And this is why I hate CERTAIN types of PC Gamers, they always play that oh so superior card and HAVE to bash console gamers.

While I think anyone who uses fag as an insult is an idiot, I think he sort of makes a point. I've looked through this thread and noticed that you kept calling the optimizations "stylistic choices." Changing the color and textures of the 2405 house was a stylistic choice not removing the overgrown flora and trash. The comparison someone posted showing that very house with a plant vase, broken bicycle, and hose reel in one picture and one without those things just show the game was optimized differently for each console.

You can look at an optimization negatively or positively but it's still an optimization.

gunziness
  • gunziness

Trick

• Members
  • Argentina

Posted 19 January 2014 - 04:48 PM

The game looks amazing, stop complaining. Im sure it will look pretty much the same on PC (talking about objects and details, not about graphics that is).

6 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users