Photo

GTA V Then and Now

1,034 replies to this topic
TOWILS
  • TOWILS

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

Struggling to see why missing trees affects people's enjoyment of the game so much.

Less to crash in to.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:55 AM

Yeah, I'm curious, did most people just skip the initial set up Rockstar provided to get the correct brightness and contrast? By default, the game was too bright for me so I had to lower it until it matched what Rockstar described and it does help, especially with the night shots:

0_0.jpg

And for no reason, Trees:

0_0.jpg

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

Yeah, I'm curious, did most people just skip the initial set up Rockstar provided to get the correct brightness and contrast? By default, the game was too bright for me so I had to lower it until it matched what Rockstar described and it does help, especially with the night shots:

0_0.jpg

And for no reason, Trees:

0_0.jpg

When was this?   What Brightness? 

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

When you start GTAV for the first time, after the installation is finished, before the game starts and loads into the first mission, a pop up appear asking you to adjust your visual settings to match what they describe (a faint Rockstar Logo on a black background should be just about visible, etc). Only took like a couple of seconds to do and to match up the greys in ascending order (so the game can display correct darkness and brightness levels on your TV).

It should still be in Options under Brightness, but I'm not sure how to get the pop up one back once you've started the game.

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

When you start GTAV for the first time, after the installation is finished, before the game starts and loads into the first mission, a pop up appear asking you to adjust your visual settings to match what they describe (a faint Rockstar Logo on a black background should be just about visible, etc). Only took like a couple of seconds to do and to match up the greys in ascending order (so the game can display correct darkness and brightness levels on your TV).

It should still be in Options under Brightness, but I'm not sure how to get the pop up one back once you've started the game.

OHhh Thanks! 

ten-a-penny
  • ten-a-penny

Pardon my English

• Members
  • Libya

Posted 07 November 2013 - 10:17 AM

Struggling to see why missing trees affects people's enjoyment of the game so much.

Less to crash in to.

this. :^:

you guys have no idea how many times I crashed in trees while playing GTA SA :sui:

now I only crash in trees in GTA V if  was at a hill and fell and/or lost control.

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

GTA V Then Who are Now

hGWF7Be.jpg

• visionist and Osho like this

clinton_franklin
  • clinton_franklin

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

keep it up

GTA-Bobski
  • GTA-Bobski

Freeroamer

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:49 PM Edited by GTA-Bobski, 09 November 2013 - 10:50 AM.

Lol, at the franklin pic, how did you get him to raise his hand (weapon changing?).
Yep, switched to Chop's baseball  :cool:

RYEAuN1.jpg

lFxB0dw.jpg

6q7saYp.jpg

6c1PsKd.jpg
  • visionist and Wayne Kerr like this

Therealvilla
  • Therealvilla

mass murderer

• Members

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that the trailer and actual gameplay would be different??? Hence our eager anticipation of the gameplay trailer. Which is pretty much spot-on to actual gameplay in my opinion. If you want to compare apples to oranges keep comparing the trailer to gameplay. But if you want to compare apple to apples compare the gameplay trailer to actual gameplay. I swear for a fan-based forum there's so much constant bitching about such trivial stuff in here. Yes the trailers and screen caps were stunning. But guess what? The playable game is pretty f*ck!ng sweet too.

I love the game, small flaws and all. Some things I don't personally like, but is it worth ranting about and making a post because the color saturation isn't as high as it was in the trailer? No, not in my opinion.

De-wad your panties and play a sweet ass game we've been waiting to play for years. And if you're so mad about it go kill some people in GTA V or cancel your pre-order and get off the forums.

Alright - sorry about that - I'm just sick of the bitching. - Rant over. Please proceed with the apple/orange comparison.

• MindCorrupt likes this

GTA-Bobski
  • GTA-Bobski

Freeroamer

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:37 AM

m75MvU8.jpg

pQFSTh9.jpg

• Wayne Kerr and MichaelPayneV like this

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

IMO

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:18 PM Edited by Wolfhuman, 09 November 2013 - 06:42 PM.

People please. If you're going to post comparison screenshots and go through all the trouble to get the time of day down right, PLEASE make sure your GAMMA is correctly set. Like for example in the comparison of Michael at his pool, the official pre-release screenshot has the correct gamma/brightness setting applied. But in the user created screenshots the gamma/brightness are cranked WAY the f*ck up and it's all washed out. That's retarded. Who can even play like that?

Take note of the quality color and shadow darkness in MY personal screenshot. This is much closer to the way Rockstar was taking their shots, and it looks significantly better:

0_0.jpg

Oh and just so you guys see how much better adjusting your gamma can make your console game look, here's a comparison I made.

DEFAULT GAMMA/BRIGHTNESS:

0_0.jpg

ADJUSTED GAMMA/BRIGHTNESS:

0_0.jpg

Freaking massive improvement in color and lighting. How could anyone prefer the horrible washed out overly-bright crap-fest that people have been posting in this thread :vomit:

Post edit: Improvement for sure.

Now night is actually night, i knew the whole time that something wasn't right.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:23 PM

Wolfhuman,

Yes that is correct I am merely talking about the in-game "brightness" setting. The way it acts isn't so much a brightness setting though, as it's closer to a gamma setting. But you can achieve almost perfect picture quality by adjusting this setting alone. It makes a drastic difference in colors and especially at night looking much better. No reason a completely starless/moonless night should look anything but the way it looks in my adjusted comparison shot. Damn near black.

Also to the guy who said there's black crush in my shot, that's a problem with your display. I'm viewing the screenshot on my Acer 24" monitor and it looks perfect, no black crush whatsoever. This is the same display I use to play my Xbox so it looks identical here. Black crush on my screenshots means your TV is set too dark with a much higher contrast than it should have.

• Wolfhuman likes this

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

Wolfhuman,

Yes that is correct I am merely talking about the in-game "brightness" setting. The way it acts isn't so much a brightness setting though, as it's closer to a gamma setting. But you can achieve almost perfect picture quality by adjusting this setting alone. It makes a drastic difference in colors and especially at night looking much better. No reason a completely starless/moonless night should look anything but the way it looks in my adjusted comparison shot. Damn near black.

Also to the guy who said there's black crush in my shot, that's a problem with your display. I'm viewing the screenshot on my Acer 24" monitor and it looks perfect, no black crush whatsoever. This is the same display I use to play my Xbox so it looks identical here. Black crush on my screenshots means your TV is set too dark with a much higher contrast than it should have.

Then should we take most of these screens with adjusted GAMMA?

• Wolfhuman likes this

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

IMO

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

Wolfhuman,

Thanks man, the game looks so much better.

I was a little confused about the message from Rockstar saying: you should be able to individually distinguish all the segments in the bar below the logo. The logo itself should be visible". I just put it in the middle. But after seeing your post i edited the display to the point that i just can see the logo.

There is a better difference between night and day now. I recommend  everyone to do this, the game looks so much better this way.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

Kindled,

Yes you should absolutely be taking screenshots with adjusted gamma/brightness (the in-game setting) because by not doing so your colors and lighting will be all wrong compared to it's originally intended setting. All TV's are different, but one things for sure, the default value for brightness in GTA V is extremely overtuned and needs to be pulled back. Otherwise it's beyond washed out and overly bright. Not changing this setting to better match the correct value would mean all screenshots (such as the wind farm) end up looking much worse than the original pre-release shots due to reasons that are your fault for not correctly adjusting the setting to match the proper values.

Wolfhuman,

You're welcome, glad to hear it made such a big difference for you. I too recommend everyone adjust the in-game brightness setting. It's such an ugly gameplay experience without doing so and I am amazed how many people carelessly truck on ignoring it but then complain about the games graphics.

• _Kindled_ likes this

Punk Noodles
  • Punk Noodles

Playa

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:04 PM

Some of the posts in here are absolutely pathetic. Game looks great, stop bitching.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:08 PM

What I'd like to see is how it really looks. I don't think that one pic was enough.

Perhaps recreating screens like this.

241-1280.jpgThis.

41-1280.jpgAnd especially this.

191-1280.jpg

poff
  • poff

Squid

• Members

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:40 PM Edited by poff, 09 November 2013 - 08:41 PM.

two new comparisons I made. (on my Mt. Chilliad pic it began to rain, sorry!)

PeZEgkT.jpg

wKnE3Tx.jpg

look at all the grass and vegetation removed it looks like a desert compared to what it used to be :(

Also in other things. But I think this might have to do with contrast/brightness settings?

how can brightness affect the grass growing everywhere in the first picture

it looks alot more dead in the final one

I mean the top picture is darker and look miles better compared to the bottom picture.

That is contrast enchantment. Basically it makes the picture darker, and gives a nicer effect. Game developer ;p

Wolfhuman
  • Wolfhuman

IMO

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

Here are some pics to support the: "brightness edit".

Many people will have the in game brightness like the first pictures but if you edit it then you get it like the second pictures.

Thanks to Darkleader

@Kindled

Those photos are a pain in the butt to make, so i shot these.

wh037k.jpg

2ajnwpz.jpg

k9cphg.jpg

vpl1yg.jpg

2ymj0j9.jpg

10ih4kg.jpg

zjt9bn.jpg

2rr9tg0.jpg

• DaRkL3AD3R and _Kindled_ like this

D3ADSH0T
  • D3ADSH0T

Don't hate, appreciate.

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 16 November 2013 - 06:09 AM

Bump
  • BlackScout likes this

Phantom11
  • Phantom11

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

Found this thread.

You guys did a fantastic job here, shame this thread doesn't get attention anymore.

Could you continue comparing screenshots with ingame material? Would be awesome! :)

TheTechPoTaToCHIP
  • TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 06:08 PM

After a VERY long dormancy. I finally got off my lazy ass and did some more comparisons. Let me stress that none of the photos i took was staged (meaning i saw the location then i just took a picture) i did try my best to get the time and weather right. Also, sorry for the boarders. I have a 4:3 TV. 

First off is Ace Liquor. This is where Trevor and Chef cook their meth.

B5gKEZA.png

PSUODpF.jpg

Then here is coincidentally another liquor store. This time it is in front of Franklin's aunt's house.

2RVDCMK.png

6hMiBBG.jpg

I hope more of you find this topic interesting and help out with the comparisons.

-Cheers :D

Phantom11
  • Phantom11

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:06 PM

Compare this pls....

official-screenshot-franklin-on-a-quad.j

official-screenshot-big-mountain-is-big.

official-screenshot-havoc-in-the-port.jp

AND THIS ONE:

official-screenshot-lake-and-mountain.jp

These ones would be cool :)

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:38 PM

I don't see why developers need to try so hard to make trailers look better than the actual game itself. I guarantee that GTA V had never looked like Trailer #1. I guess I was right that they enhanced it, but some were too hopeful to agree. I can sort of understand the flora issue, albeit its disappointing, but the graphics enhancement in trailer #1 was just misleading and stupid.

Phantom11
  • Phantom11

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:40 PM

Yeah, but the game still looks beautiful. I always thought trailer #1 looked too good to be true.

Hopefully someone will compare more screens with ingame pictures. :)

TheTechPoTaToCHIP
  • TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:47 PM

I don't see why developers need to try so hard to make trailers look better than the actual game itself. I guarantee that GTA V had never looked like Trailer #1. I guess I was right that they enhanced it, but some were too hopeful to agree. I can sort of understand the flora issue, albeit its disappointing, but the graphics enhancement in trailer #1 was just misleading and stupid.

The Liquor Ace one i made above looks pretty close to the trailer, if not exactly the same. I guess they did enhance it a bit, but not by much. Its all about the time of day and weather.

Phantom11
  • Phantom11

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Yeah but it's a shame they had to remove so much vegetation and trees. They would improve the look of the game a lot!

TheTechPoTaToCHIP
  • TheTechPoTaToCHIP

Trick

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 08:57 PM

Yeah but it's a shame they had to remove so much vegetation and trees. They would improve the look of the game a lot!

It might lag it a lot too, but yeah. Even though GTA V has a huge map, that sense of "mystery and fear" i felt in the san andreas map is gone mainly because it doesn't have any dense forests. It has some clusters of tress at the east side of the map but lets face it, no one really goes there.

ThroatSlasher2
  • ThroatSlasher2

Mr. Orion

• Members

Posted 24 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

It might lag it a lot too, but yeah. Even though GTA V has a huge map, that sense of "mystery and fear" i felt in the san andreas map is gone mainly because it doesn't have any dense forests. It has some clusters of tress at the east side of the map but lets face it, no one really goes there.

I do, at night, with absolutely no brightness. Love it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users