Photo

GTA V Then and Now

1,034 replies to this topic
TheGTAone
  • TheGTAone

Piβwasser Founder

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:26 AM Edited by TheGTAone, 17 October 2013 - 12:28 AM.

Compare this pls....

official-screenshot-franklin-on-a-quad.j

official-screenshot-big-mountain-is-big.

official-screenshot-havoc-in-the-port.jp

AND THIS ONE:

official-screenshot-lake-and-mountain.jp

sonic_blue
  • sonic_blue

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:33 AM

I can't believe how stupid some people are in this thread.   They're comparing different lighting due to different times of day and saying "hurr dusk lighting looks so much more PROFOUND" and attributing that to a deficiency in the game.    In another shot the trash cans are not out because they're not always out on every day in the game.   In another one they took a screenshot when there didn't happen to be any cars on that side of the intersection as some sort of proof of lower detail when there are cars at the other side of the intersection.   If they had waited till those cars crossed over the intersection then they would look almost identical (and if you think a trailer is going to be identical to the actual game you are retarded anyway).  On 8 year old hardware, it's a f*cking miracle that it even runs at all.  

Also multiplayer has scaled down graphics, so you can only take screenshot comparisons in single player.

And lol @  mustard race who think they're getting anything other than 10fps full of bugs like GTA4.

GTA5 will be re-released on next gen consoles at a higher detail setting.

I don't even like the game (I returned it because of the sh*tty physics) so you can't accuse me of being a shill.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:49 AM

The first trailer was by far the biggest stretch IMO. By that I mean they definitely did some cheating. Trailer one looked liked mostly cutscenes and prerendered clips.

But the final product is so good that I cant complain. The game looks identical to every trailer after trailer one, which is astounding on such old hardware.

• Sting4S likes this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Bro

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2013 - 12:50 AM Edited by brootalperry, 17 October 2013 - 01:16 AM.

I can't believe how stupid some people are in this thread.   They're comparing different lighting due to different times of day and saying "hurr dusk lighting looks so much more PROFOUND" and attributing that to a deficiency in the game.    In another shot the trash cans are not out because they're not always out on every day in the game.   In another one they took a screenshot when there didn't happen to be any cars on that side of the intersection as some sort of proof of lower detail when there are cars at the other side of the intersection.   If they had waited till those cars crossed over the intersection then they would look almost identical (and if you think a trailer is going to be identical to the actual game you are retarded anyway).  On 8 year old hardware, it's a f*cking miracle that it even runs at all.  

Also multiplayer has scaled down graphics, so you can only take screenshot comparisons in single player.

And lol @  mustard race who think they're getting anything other than 10fps full of bugs like GTA4.

I don't even like the game (I returned it because of the sh*tty physics) so you can't accuse me of being a shill.

http://forums.ubi.co...parisons-Forums

Skip to 2:15

And please wise guru, point out to where I said that it was a deficiency in the game.

"different lighting due to different times of day"  :facedesk:

That's always the excuse when comparisons come up right? Whether it is dusk or afternoon, the shadows would still be under the bridge like in the first picture if there was SSAO. All the time of day does is change the position of the shadows, but in the second picture there are NO SHADOWS. Which means that the pre release shots had SSAO in them. After looking at those comparisons, go back at the screenshots and see for yourself. If you still don't see a difference

then too bad for you. You need a major reality check.

• _Kindled_ and pilscy like this

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:18 AM

I have a feeling the version of the game with higher quality graphics shown in screenshots and the first trailer really is the next-gen/PC version of the game. It makes sense. 

• pilscy likes this

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Bro

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:23 AM

I believe so too. I think the pre release shots are from the PC version.

• _Kindled_ likes this

cldd
  • cldd

Prankster

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 01:26 AM

Yeah like I said before you guys really should use the correct times/weathers. It really does make a huge difference. 

Ethereal_NYC
  • Ethereal_NYC

Hustler

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:03 AM Edited by Ethereal_NYC, 17 October 2013 - 03:04 AM.

tYMCXYJ.jpg

Either Rockstar highly overestimated the consoles' limitations, or they intentionally mislead us about the graphics.

yeah im sure those are the only two possible scenarios

smh

lightningun
  • lightningun

...Rage...

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:18 AM

Stop quoting that picture to every page and let's just move on with this thread. This is the only thread since the release of the that isn't about complaining or a bunch of no lifes that think every thing in the game is mystery to be solved or looking for stupid thing like jet packs. Let's just keep this one interesting.

sonic_blue
  • sonic_blue

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:20 AM Edited by sonic_blue, 17 October 2013 - 03:21 AM.

Skip to 2:15

And please wise guru, point out to where I said that it was a deficiency in the game.

"different lighting due to different times of day"  :facedesk:

That's always the excuse when comparisons come up right? Whether it is dusk or afternoon, the shadows would still be under the bridge like in the first picture if there was SSAO. All the time of day does is change the position of the shadows, but in the second picture there are NO SHADOWS. Which means that the pre release shots had SSAO in them. After looking at those comparisons, go back at the screenshots and see for yourself. If you still don't see a difference

then too bad for you. You need a major reality check.

In the video you posted, you can clearly see the shadows being cast from the NPCs, roof tops and lamp poles regardless of the SSAO setting. Even the console GTA4 has those kinds of dynamic shadows.  

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Bro

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:32 AM Edited by brootalperry, 17 October 2013 - 03:38 AM.

In the video you posted, you can clearly see the shadows being cast from the NPCs, roof tops and lamp poles regardless of the SSAO setting. Even the console GTA4 has those kinds of dynamic shadows.  

Did you skip to 2:15 like I said?

That's where the Ambient Occlusion is being switched on and off for comparison. The difference is really obvious. I'm not talking about the regular shadows of NPCs and lamp poles...the shadows in the corners and crevices of buildings become darker because it is approximating how the light would radiate off the buildings based on the Sun's position in the sky. These things are present in the pre-release screenshots. They are NOT present in the game out right now. Which means that there is no way those screenshots came from the consoles, and there's no way they were "edited" in as some people in another thread have said. Those are PC screenshots.

RaduG
  • RaduG

PC

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:19 AM Edited by RaduG, 17 October 2013 - 06:24 AM.

Oh, wow! This thread was resurrected!

That's where the Ambient Occlusion is being switched on and off for comparison. The difference is really obvious. I'm not talking about the regular shadows of NPCs and lamp poles...the shadows in the corners and crevices of buildings become darker because it is approximating how the light would radiate off the buildings based on the Sun's position in the sky. These things are present in the pre-release screenshots. They are NOT present in the game out right now. Which means that there is no way those screenshots came from the consoles, and there's no way they were "edited" in as

some people in another thread have said. Those are PC screenshots.

I think that comparison was made in online mode and that one with the house too. If you look at my comparison of the "2405 house" you'll see that it looks better and has some of the props too (bicycle, hose, bird bath). About the AO, some console games support SSAO and I think that V has SSAO on consoles because there is a file named SSAO in the game files and the path to the shader doesn't contain the PC folder. I could be wrong though.

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Bro

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:37 AM Edited by brootalperry, 17 October 2013 - 06:39 AM.

Oh, wow! This thread was resurrected!

That's where the Ambient Occlusion is being switched on and off for comparison. The difference is really obvious. I'm not talking about the regular shadows of NPCs and lamp poles...the shadows in the corners and crevices of buildings become darker because it is approximating how the light would radiate off the buildings based on the Sun's position in the sky. These things are present in the pre-release screenshots. They are NOT present in the game out right now. Which means that there is no way those screenshots came from the consoles, and there's no way they were "edited" in as

some people in another thread have said. Those are PC screenshots.

I think that comparison was made in online mode and that one with the house too. If you look at my comparison of the "2405 house" you'll see that it looks better and has some of the props too (bicycle, hose, bird bath). About the AO, some console games support SSAO and I think that V has SSAO on consoles because there is a file named SSAO in the game files and the path to the shader doesn't contain the PC folder. I could be wrong though.

I just made the conclusion that the pre-release screenshots are using HBAO. 

I looked at the screenshots, then at HBAO screenshots, and they seem like a match. Which means that the pre-release screens are even more decked out than I previously thought.

gHSE6I3.jpg

iO7htycwsYZHH.png

RaduG
  • RaduG

PC

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:21 AM Edited by RaduG, 17 October 2013 - 07:25 AM.

Anyway, I'm leaving in a short vacation so I'm not going to make comparisons until Monday (if this thread survives).

This is the vacation house

yO4ZERc.jpg

Here is a comparison of that house without and with AO for those who are not familiar with AO.

cnJHrqV.png
NTzxp6Z.png

Man, I hope I'm going to finish that house and the scenery in time for GTAV PC so I can make my own map mod. Sorry for offtopic.

• theGTAking101 and BlackScout like this

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

Only got a PC for Gaming

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

The irony in this one is huge honestly.

Since the first screens released by Rockstar that there was a huge discussion on the web that the game was Next gen only, many people said that wasn't current gen. When the anouncement was made and only PS3 and XB360 was in it everyone freaked out and was all excited. Since the first screens I said no way those were current gen footage, there was DX11 effects all over them, the textures were a lot higher and even the water shaders. No one believed back then, then there was a member here that explained in detail what i meant before and he even proved it and once again everyone didn't use their brain and just complained that we were just graphic whores and sht like it, when all we did was a valid technical analysis based on our know how in this field and experience with games tweaking for more then 10 years and being part of the evolution of games from 4 colors to today's graphics.

The leaked logs in the game files comign directly from Rockstar proved what we said since the beggining, and even that way people still use stupid speech like yours. The first screens weren't Photoshoped, you can do a lot in Photoshop but not what you see here, this is just the use of higher assets, higher detail and processing effects only possible with DX10 and DX11, taking into account the current game is DX9 only, that footage has to be from PC/ Next Gen and not a lousy port.

Read about the different technics of DX9 - Dx10 and DX11 and then you'll understand why those shadows or anything else aren't a weather or sun position problem, but a technical detail that can be achieved using the most recent API. Where you see different weather conditions and Photoshop editions, I see deffered lightning, SSAO, dynamic lights, pixel and vertex shader 5.0 and many other things.

About that screen of the house taken from the first trailer and the changes made to the final build, it wasn't just a change in the number of objects or the look of the place, there is no "3D grass", the shdows casted in the house are gone, like in many other screens where most of the buildings don't cast a shadow and even the details in the distance change. The trees not only got removed but also changed their models for something less dynamic and with less polygons. Think about it, Rockstar said the footage was in real time not post processed, and it was running fine so why they had to change it in the end for performance?

Well everyone is free to think what they want, but in the end you'll see all I've said being confirmed, expect GTA V PC/ Next Gen to be as different as Watch Dogs between current gen and next gen consoles. The facts are in front of your face, take a look about DX9 and DX11 and then you'll understand what I'm saying.

* Note: Cut the crap talk about "oh but the game is amazing... bla bla bla. Yes it is and as a PC player I'm astonished with what Rockstar achieved in the current gen consoles, but the question here is the technical differences and now how good or bad the game is, so if you wanna integrate this debate refrain from using that speech.

• RyanBurnsRed and Albert Kike like this

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:20 PM

Quick someone quote the 2405 house again and talk about how it's the PC version. ;) :p

ZZCOOL
  • ZZCOOL

http://www.youtube.com/user/taltigolt

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

two new comparisons I made. (on my Mt. Chilliad pic it began to rain, sorry!)

PeZEgkT.jpg

wKnE3Tx.jpg

look at all the grass and vegetation removed it looks like a desert compared to what it used to be :(

TBone1977
  • TBone1977

jokerpro69 pixelhunter97

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 06:52 PM

It's going to be the same for the PC version unfortunately. Ofcourse the PC hardware can deal with a lot more objects but knowing R* previous PC ports it will just have a little more detailed textures and smoother framerate, and the latter is a big question mark, because it wouldn't be the first time R* screws the PC port.

MAx payne 3 man!!!

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Bro

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

PeZEgkT.jpg

wKnE3Tx.jpg

look at all the grass and vegetation removed it looks like a desert compared to what it used to be :(

Also in other things. But I think this might have to do with contrast/brightness settings?

ZZCOOL
  • ZZCOOL

http://www.youtube.com/user/taltigolt

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

PeZEgkT.jpg

wKnE3Tx.jpg

Also in other things. But I think this might have to do with contrast/brightness settings?

how can brightness affect the grass growing everywhere in the first picture

it looks alot more dead in the final one

RyanBurnsRed
  • RyanBurnsRed

Bro

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:04 PM

PeZEgkT.jpg

wKnE3Tx.jpg

I mean the top picture is darker and look miles better compared to the bottom picture.

Xylolixus
  • Xylolixus

GTA V player

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:19 PM Edited by Xylolixus, 17 October 2013 - 08:21 PM.

Don´t know if this is already mentioned, but could it be they were already working on the PC version and made the trailer with footage from a PC version...Or they just runned the game on a kind of emulator to make the rendering look better? Sure it may give a wrong idea about the graphics...but maybe we will get this graphics on PC?

PS: I'm sure some of the lighting and especially the contrast is added in post-production...

davetopper
  • davetopper

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

OMG, on the last screen they removed some trees, Cockstar lied to us once again !!! Preorder cancelled !!!!!!

Beside, very good idea, OP!

Yea it is a good idea. Like that house, looks like the new owner did some landscaping and clean up. 

And I have to mention....

ibyXllo7hkZQxk.png

Juliette, ohhhhhhhh fare Juliette 

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Beep.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

Wow.

Albert Kike
  • Albert Kike

Playa

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:11 AM

Don´t know if this is already mentioned, but could it be they were already working on the PC version and made the trailer with footage from a PC version...Or they just runned the game on a kind of emulator to make the rendering look better? Sure it may give a wrong idea about the graphics...but maybe we will get this graphics on PC?

PS: I'm sure some of the lighting and especially the contrast is added in post-production...

Yes, the PC version of GTA V has been developed side by side with the console versions, like Max Payne 3 was. This is irrefutable fact that comes directly from R* themselves. 

https://googledrive....2MzA/builds.xml

(Use CTRL + F and search for "PC")

Some of the early promo screens of GTA V were from the PC. They're not photoshopped, not pre-rendered footage, etc. DX11 PC screens, that's what they were. 

Yolo Swaggins
  • Yolo Swaggins

Y'knahmean?

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:32 AM

Yes, the PC version of GTA V has been developed side by side with the console versions, like Max Payne 3 was. This is irrefutable fact that comes directly from R* themselves. 

Some of the early promo screens of GTA V were from the PC. They're not photoshopped, not pre-rendered footage, etc. DX11 PC screens, that's what they were. 

Wow, how'd you find that? Is there any way to access the devstar wiki?

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

Only got a PC for Gaming

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:28 PM Edited by S1LV3R_W0LF, 18 October 2013 - 01:29 PM.

Btw I just saw something on an XBOX360 and I'd like someone to take some pictures for comparison.

Remember the GrapeSeed Hills or whatever the name was where we see a plane spraying the workers below? Remember when everyone said that screenshot released from Rockstar was very different and had no "3D leafs" like in the first trailer? A lot of people here said that was because of the LOD and the shot was taken too far.

So I'd like to ask someone here to take a screen of that place in a console at close range to have the max possible detail. Let's compare that and then we talk again.

Codyr783, click in my signature link and read my thread you'll find every facts about the existence of a PC version since the end of 2012 and in a few minutes/ hours I'll add the latest ones.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

Let's Bounce

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:33 PM

Wow, how'd you find that? Is there any way to access the devstar wiki?

PS3 files, they left it there. And nope, probably only possible from Rockstar's own network, it throws an error for us average Joes.

tartanbahn
  • tartanbahn

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

Compare this pls....

official-screenshot-franklin-on-a-quad.j

official-screenshot-big-mountain-is-big.

official-screenshot-havoc-in-the-port.jp

AND THIS ONE:

official-screenshot-lake-and-mountain.jp

would be interesting

Skizzo45
  • Skizzo45

The American

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

PeZEgkT.jpg

wKnE3Tx.jpg

It looks super unfinished

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users