» «
Photo

Sleeping Dogs 2

60 replies to this topic
Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:29 AM Edited by Vic 2.0, 23 December 2013 - 01:30 AM.

Rockstar were the first ones to the 3D Genre (when comparing them to the makers of Driver). They did it with Body Harvest on the N64. I even read somewhere that that inspired GTA 3's 3D graphics.

True enough.  I suppose it being a sandbox game where you can commandeer vehicles does put it on the list.  Still, in terms of sandbox crime games that followed a very similar concept to that of GTAs 1 and 2, Driver was first.  That's not to say GTA 3 was influenced by Driver 1 or 2 in any way, just that if the question "Who did it first?" is really all that important, we should give Driver some credit there.  It doesn't seem like much nowadays, but I remember being quite impressed with these two games when they first came out.  Got me hooked on sandbox crime games ever since, as I never had any interest in top-down racers or car games in general.

Of course, that is my point, that it doesn't matter who did what first because no "clone" is an actual clone.  It's just a term people use to condescend on games they don't like.  All that matters is that they (game developers in general) keep things moving forward and not get complacent in any aspect of their products.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users