Photo

Suggestions to improve Freemode

227 replies to this topic
Sticky Pads
  • Sticky Pads

Prankster

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:44 PM

I like this idea Sticky Pads, but wouldn't that be a problem when playing with randoms ? They could steal your car before you can have a chance to get into it and leave you there.

I think the Car Access setting works well, you could set it to Friends, or Friends + Crew to solve this little issue.

That's true, but hopefully much less likely while on a mission.  It just seems like if you are on a Job together there would be an assumption you are working together and would want to be able to ride together.  Free Mode obviously needs the restrictions on car access since its a free-for-all.

• Ren Fujin likes this

Ren Fujin
  • Ren Fujin

Glamorous

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Anybody got more cool suggestions ?

I'm sure there's much more we could discuss regarding improving Freemode :)

blk95ta
  • blk95ta

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

Enable the prison and anyone who spawn kills gets to spend 48 in game hours in jail.
  • Ren Fujin likes this

Chaos-Elite
  • Chaos-Elite

Seeker

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

Too much to read mate!!

777.gif

296.jpg

GraniteDevil
  • GraniteDevil

The Logic Maker

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

Hidden blips would just encourage more abuse from the players who camp spawns and kill the same player over and over again as they spawn from previous deaths.

Because of that, it's a terrible idea.

An Arctic Fox
  • An Arctic Fox

Fox

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:21 PM

More activities inside your apartment! like pool, drinking games to name a couple.

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

I actually really like the idea of blips disappearing from the radar when you are in the same area as another player. This would still allow you to find the general area of players since it's a large map, but also still provide the fun and realism of being able to use cover and hide without people just slinging grenades at your blip. +1

Possible problems with Op's suggestion are that players would keep slipping by like ships in the night (i.e. never actually meet) but a worse problem would be that crews could exploit this. One would observe the map, zoomed in, from afar and inform on the close-range partner exactly where they are.

Otherwise the system could work like RDR, where you walk into a search area and the player is somewhere within that search area. Of course, the search area would be continually moving but not with them focused at the centre - it would be awkward to program.

My blip improvement system is the noise and locality based system here: http://gtaforums.com...ic-improvement/

Hidden blips would just encourage more abuse from the players who camp spawns and kill the same player over and over again as they spawn from previous deaths.

It's impossible to camp spawners because you wouldn't know the exact position they'd respawn (due to lack of blip on map.)

Glockodile
  • Glockodile

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

why don't you put some effort into thinking before posting? the only reason spawn killing is possible is because the killer knows the exact location of where you respawn.

• Ren Fujin likes this

grand theft spaghetti
  • grand theft spaghetti

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

im not sure if this counts as an improvement. child support for getting a hooker knocked up.
then you can play a mini-game dna test. if you pass the test its not your baby but if you fail you get a choice of making payments or having a wanted star appear for not making payments.

we have all been using the hookers all these years. I just think this would be funny as hell.
  • Ren Fujin likes this

Elijin
  • Elijin

Probably Lost. Send help.

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

I like the blip ideas....

but lets build on it!

Say, like many games, once the blip is gone (close to the player) the blip will reappear for a limited time when a player fires a weapon. Maybe 10 seconds every shot, resetting on every shot (but not adding up). This would have the added bonus of giving silencers a purpose in more than just jobs, by having the silencer reduce the radius which you can be heard, and the time marked for.

Also add another colour to the blip system. Maybe an orange or yellow. This blip would only be visible when far away from a player, and would indicate a player has engaged in combat (fired their weapon or thrown an explosive) within the last 30 seconds. This lets players see from a distance where the combat hotspots are, so they can join or avoid them.

Also with the crew or friends system, allow this to over write the suggested blip removal. So when you're near a friend or crew member, you can find them easily. But have it on a toggle setting, so friends and crew members can switch to the 'no blip in close proximity' system to engage in pvp with each other as desired.

• Ren Fujin likes this

Ren Fujin
  • Ren Fujin

Glamorous

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

This is a very nice idea Elijin :)

I'm adding it to the OP !

Having coloured blips depending on the player being active/passive sounds really cool and useful.

im not sure if this counts as an improvement. child support for getting a hooker knocked up.
then you can play a mini-game dna test. if you pass the test its not your baby but if you fail you get a choice of making payments or having a wanted star appear for not making payments.

we have all been using the hookers all these years. I just think this would be funny as hell.

Haha, a very cool and fun concept. I like it.
Adding it to the OP !

I'm not sure how a no blip setting would encourage more abuse, since it would actually make it much trickier to chase other players. Spawn killing would be much harder to do if you can't actually pinpoint where the player respawned on your radar.

If anything, it would give trigger happy players less incentive to do it, in my opinion :
Let's suppose I'm an intempestive freemode killing type. Within such a system, to do so I'd need to know exactly what the player I'm intending to kill looks like, and then search for them without being able to rely on blips when I'm close to their position. I probably wouldn't bother unless I had a serious grudge, and even then, the amount of work it requires would definitely make me consider it twice before doing it again.

... and that's my point. The idea isn't to forbid player killing in freemode, but make it so it happens a lot less.

Possible problems with Op's suggestion are that players would keep slipping by like ships in the night (i.e. never actually meet) but a worse problem would be that crews could exploit this. One would observe the map, zoomed in, from afar and inform on the close-range partner exactly where they are.

You're making valid points, DaCosta.
I'm not sure it would be that easy to slip by, though. You would still show up on radar when far away. Wouldn't it be more fun to have to ID players by their character model when you're within their vicinity instead ?

About crews exploit - I don't think it would be an issue, as it actually requires teamwork and coordination - something most players bent on gratuitous killing usually aren't capable of. And even if they do, so what ? It's certainly much more interesting than what's being done currently. At least it would give incentive to teamwork and strategies.

The current blip system doesn't encourage intelligent play nor strategy/teamwork. Instead, it gives people tool to make it easier to achieve mindless, intempestive kill ...

DaCosta
  • DaCosta

G-T-Addict

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

You're making valid points, DaCosta.
I'm not sure it would be that easy to slip by, though. You would still show up on radar when far away. Wouldn't it be more fun to have to ID players by their character model when you're within their vicinity instead ?

About crews exploit - I don't think it would be an issue, as it actually requires teamwork and coordination - something most players bent on gratuitous killing usually aren't capable of. And even if they do, so what ? It's certainly much more interesting than what's being done currently. At least it would give incentive to teamwork and strategies.

The current blip system doesn't encourage intelligent play nor strategy/teamwork. Instead, it gives people tool to make it easier to achieve mindless, intempestive kill ...

The "far" blip system is certainly interesting because I feel that Rockstar have used a similar mechanic before in their games. In RDR (Single Player) you sometimes had to collect bounties from the Wanted posters. This required you to go to the rough location of the enemy, as denoted - at first - by a blip, but as you got close, by a perimeter marker. They would be somewhere within the marker, rather than at the exact point of the blip. This could work very nicely with online but the difference is that online people are unpredictable and have free choice to move around.

There are some concerns with the far blip mechanic. I mentioned that players could team up to grief (with one afar pin-pointing the exact location of their victim, while the other - in chat communication - took them down relentlessly (penalising any solo players)) but also it could be exploited by others. Griefers could wait for a player to be still for a while, before rushing in with a fast helicopter and getting to their position before the unsuspecting victim realises. Worse, they could transport to a nearby race to catch them out. The advantage will be on the side of the attacker, as the defender will not even know they are being watched from afar.

However, if the radar blips did not precisely pinpoint targets on the map - or had a search area, like in RDR bounties, when you zoom into the map, then the advantage would be lost. It would be harder to program this in, but possible - and would work for me!

If you add Line of Sight blip marking to the equation, then that prevents any "ships by night" passing of players. Also, I do like the idea of spotting a characters face off your phone, but in reality I'm not sure if you'd spot anyone by their model in such time.

One thing is for certain though: A change of blip mechanics would give GTA: O a new lease of life. Done properly, the City would become so much deeper, surprising and more lively.

• Ren Fujin likes this

ColeBillyard
  • ColeBillyard

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 04:02 AM

I really like the idea of plastic surgeons just to go back into character customization and fix my character up (even though it isnt the best customization system id stil like a redo) for a somewhat high price 

• robban and Ren Fujin like this

yhdoit
  • yhdoit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:07 PM Edited by yhdoit, 15 October 2013 - 03:10 PM.

BLIPS!!!

they should not exist at all. if you want to find someone you should have to pay lester or whoever so that they come up on the map for a certain amount of time OR lester should only be able to remove your bounty or something like that.

it makes no sense to have them up at all times. maybe they should just flash up if a player near you is shooting or something. if i find a player who has a hit on them i want to be able to follow them without beeing seen, similarly if somebody is after me i want to be able to lose them in a chase.

this blip thing is really killing my immersion into the gta online universe. i dont see myself playing this game for very long if they dont remove this feature.

perhaps they could create separate free roam lobbys where player markers are always seen and ones where player markers are always hidden. then everybody can join which ever one suits their playing style.

how can we get this across to rockstar i think this and the character customisation idea are most important changes they could make, if we send them too many suggestions it might not be taken into consideration

• Ren Fujin likes this

Broblab
  • Broblab

Homicidal maniac

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

how about a "safe zone" around the apartments where you can shoot npcs and stolen cars, but not personal cars or players?

even if an npc car blows up, it wont effect the " glued to the ground" player car at all.

YaWreck
  • YaWreck

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Being able to purchase them in online like bars, clubs and other stores to make a weekly wage like in single player.

Being able to turn off helmets! Lol

Maybe some more tattoo's, I've noticed you can't have every tattoo like if you like a few tattoo's for the right arm you may have to be only 2. Add neck and hands tattoos.
  • robban and Ren Fujin like this

Ren Fujin
  • Ren Fujin

Glamorous

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

Some nice suggestions here, guys. I'll add them to the OP :)

BLIPS!!!

they should not exist at all. if you want to find someone you should have to pay lester or whoever so that they come up on the map for a certain amount of time OR lester should only be able to remove your bounty or something like that.

it makes no sense to have them up at all times. maybe they should just flash up if a player near you is shooting or something. if i find a player who has a hit on them i want to be able to follow them without beeing seen, similarly if somebody is after me i want to be able to lose them in a chase.

this blip thing is really killing my immersion into the gta online universe. i dont see myself playing this game for very long if they dont remove this feature.

perhaps they could create separate free roam lobbys where player markers are always seen and ones where player markers are always hidden. then everybody can join which ever one suits their playing style.

how can we get this across to rockstar i think this and the character customisation idea are most important changes they could make, if we send them too many suggestions it might not be taken into consideration

I fully agree with you, especially regarding game longevity - It makes no doubt to me the current blip system is going to kill the game in the long term. They need to give it a clever overhaul if Freemode is to have a future.

What you mention about having a blip system based around sound was already touched upon by DaCosta in his excellent 'Blips - Game Mechanic Improvement' thread. Have a look at it !

As far as I'm concerned, I'd be fine with any blip system that isn't the one we currently have, whether it's the one I'm suggesting in the OP, or DaCosta's idea. I just wish Rockstar would hear our complaints and consider it, at least.

how about a "safe zone" around the apartments where you can shoot npcs and stolen cars, but not personal cars or players?

even if an npc car blows up, it wont effect the " glued to the ground" player car at all.

That's actually a very cool idea ! I'll add it to the OP too :)

Being able to purchase them in online like bars, clubs and other stores to make a weekly wage like in single player.

Maybe some more tattoo's, I've noticed you can't have every tattoo like if you like a few tattoo's for the right arm you may have to be only 2. Add neck and hands tattoos.

Definitely agreed. Especially regarding helmets and tattoos.

Keep the suggestions coming, guys ! We need more of those :)

yhdoit
  • yhdoit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:16 PM

Some nice suggestions here, guys. I'll add them to the OP :)

BLIPS!!!

I fully agree with you, especially regarding game longevity - It makes no doubt to me the current blip system is going to kill the game in the long term. They need to give it a clever overhaul if Freemode is to have a future.

What you mention about having a blip system based around sound was already touched upon by DaCosta in his excellent 'Blips - Game Mechanic Improvement' thread. Have a look at it !

As far as I'm concerned, I'd be fine with any blip system that isn't the one we currently have, whether it's the one I'm suggesting in the OP, or DaCosta's idea. I just wish Rockstar would hear our complaints and consider it, at least.

That's actually a very cool idea ! I'll add it to the OP too :)

Definitely agreed. Especially regarding helmets and tattoos.

Keep the suggestions coming, guys ! We need more of those :)

i just posted a question on rockstar website in regards to player blips. if we get a couple upvotes and comments perhaps rockstar will reply. i have see rockstar reply to quite a few of these

http://support.rocks...rker-visibility

• Ren Fujin likes this

AlmightyLoso
  • AlmightyLoso

Free Max B

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:19 PM

Honestly, the only thing that I really care about is removing the 2k death fees so I can finally enjoy free mode like I did in IV.

• Ren Fujin likes this

Daniel_B
  • Daniel_B

Thug

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

I agree with most everything here.  Some are things I'd already considered myself, and others I hadn't thought of but seem like great ideas.

The one change I'd offer on the bounty idea is that players shouldn't be forced out of their apts/garages after a brief time, but if they spend more than, say, 5 minutes in there (or go to a solo session, or an invite-only session with their friends), the bounty should be canceled and the person who set it should get their $$ back.  The bounty target shouldn't have their gameplay limited in any way--especially if they're the innocent target of griefers--but they also shouldn't have an easy way to sit back and collect the money without taking any risk.

I also like the idea someone suggested about an option to make personal vehicles accessible on missions only.  Cuz even if you're playing with randoms and one of them jacks and/or destroys it, I'm pretty sure that it respawns nearby as soon as the mission's over and you quit back to free mode.

• Ren Fujin likes this

gunslinger88
  • gunslinger88

Rat

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:58 PM Edited by gunslinger88, 15 October 2013 - 10:59 PM.

scuba gear, ropes to repel from heli's, spear gun, revolvers...uh 

sharks to hunt in freemode lol

• Ren Fujin likes this

ColeBillyard
  • ColeBillyard

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:34 PM

This game needs plastic surgeons or some way of remaking your character, the fact that my character looks like he had a stroke really turns me away from this game, i think we should ban together and get some of these ideas out there, let us pay (in game or even real money) to remake our characters or something

• Ren Fujin likes this

YaWreck
  • YaWreck

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:47 AM

If they bring out crew / club wars, so like if 2 clubs / crews are in a war the enemy marker is red. So after winning a war your crew / club gets points and that can unlock stuff for the club and have achievements.

Maybe bringing in drug dealing, I used to play SA MP on PC ages ago and on one server you could plant weed seeds and let them grow and once you havasted you got money
  • Ren Fujin likes this

Ren Fujin
  • Ren Fujin

Glamorous

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:10 AM

These are very nice suggestions, guys. I'm adding them to the OP right now :)

The one change I'd offer on the bounty idea is that players shouldn't be forced out of their apts/garages after a brief time, but if they spend more than, say, 5 minutes in there (or go to a solo session, or an invite-only session with their friends), the bounty should be canceled and the person who set it should get their $$ back.  The bounty target shouldn't have their gameplay limited in any way--especially if they're the innocent target of griefers--but they also shouldn't have an easy way to sit back and collect the money without taking any risk.

Agreed. This could work quite well, I especially like your idea of getting a refund if the target logs out. How would you have it work when it comes to bounties placed by NPCs, though ?

All in all, I do believe the current bounty system needs to be fixed, cause it's too easily exploited : Players either choose to get killed by friends and split the gains, or hide inside their house or garage indefinitely. It occurs more and more often, and in a few weeks it'll probably be common practice.

YaWreck
  • YaWreck

Square Civilian

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:50 AM

@Fugin

Glad to see everyone is bring forward idea's for online was just wondering have you put any forward to R* and if you have, have you had any feed back?

YaWreck
Soul Reapers MC

Guns N R0se
  • Guns N R0se

King of the Mountain

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:52 AM

1. Get rid of cops
  2. Get rid of bad sport
  3. Get rid of passive mode (even though it's useless)
  4. Remove tanks
  5. Let me remove the sh*tty blue job markers from my map
  6. Get rid of vehicle impounding

yhdoit
  • yhdoit

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

that is the opposite of what would happen

• Ren Fujin likes this

Ren Fujin
  • Ren Fujin

Glamorous

• Members

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

@Fugin

Glad to see everyone is bring forward idea's for online was just wondering have you put any forward to R* and if you have, have you had any feed back?

Actually, not yet. I was thinking it would be best to get as much feedback from the community as possible, so that wishlist of ours has enough weight.

I don't believe Rockstar would consider anything without a majority of players' input on the matter.

That's why I think we should keep on gathering people's opinion some more :)

ColeBillyard
  • ColeBillyard

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:00 AM

what this game really needs is a way to recustomize your character without starting at lv1 again, this should be added because i know there are some people who dont like the way their character looks or realized they had a permanent scar that they didnt see during the initial customization, so i think they should add a plastic surgeon in game which you pay for and then get put back into the initial character customization screen or even a real money "pay to fix option". Rockstar even said that in the yesterdays patch they added new better ways to customize your character, which people like us cant take advantage of unless we start at lv1 

• Adds changes to the character creator to make better-looking default characters with the “random” option (taken from the rockstar social club website)
  • Ren Fujin likes this

Revoemag
  • Revoemag

Hustler

• Members

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:57 AM

Just want to add a similar system as the blip system for mics...a proximity system..only hear those with mics when within a couple of blocks instead of hearing everyone everywhere on the server.
  • Ren Fujin likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users