» «
Photo

IV is still the best

33 replies to this topic
Cinoy
  • Cinoy

✈✈✈✈✈✈

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:42 AM Edited by Cinoy, 16 October 2013 - 07:43 AM.

GTA V IS the better game. GTA IV just seems like it was good because of the revolutionary graphics for its time... but GTA V doesnt offer that much new technology wise, which is why you feel disappointed. In reality, GTA V is still the better game with better graphics and better content. Also some people prefer the look of Liberty City to San Andreas so that could also be a reason. San Andreas has a lot of ugly areas whereas Liberty City is just like one giant city. If GTA V was set in LC again I guarantee you would like it better than IV.

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:57 PM Edited by jpm1, 16 October 2013 - 01:00 PM.

I don't think it is. It misses out a bunch of features and mission variety.

1. Missions

I think a lot of us who played GTA 4 know that the missions can be repetitive. And not just drive to point A to point B deal. It's the presentation and the heavy scripted car chase scenes. It's too much. It's predecessor had less scripted car chase scenes where you can kill the driver, police chase you, or any other random thing could happen. They all too familary presentation of going driving to point A to point B to a warehouse or field or something to kill somebody. They never add anything too different. You were basically a hit man throughout the game.

Granted, Ballad of Gay Tony DLC added some cool missions.

2. Nothing to spend your money on

GTA 4 lacked here in comparison to Vice City, San Andreas, and GTA 5. While you could spend your money on clothes and guns, you are just restricted to that alone. In all the games that I mentioned, you can do that and buy properties and businesses. SA and GTA 5 you can customize your car and have more clothes to buy.

Granted, GTA 4 is suppose to be most realistic out of the current GTAs, but still doesn't exclude the lack of stuff that you can't do with your money. You don't have to buy businesses, but car customization and more apartments would've been nice  to have seeing as GTA: SA did it before you. Even when I robbed the freakin' bank, my standard of living don't really seem to change much because I don't really have anything to spend it on. Hell, Niko is still looking for work as a hitman. But this leads to my personal dislike of the game.

3. Your standard of living and status don't change much (personal opinion)

Niko throughout the game was a hitman for various of gangstas and some corrupt cops. But imo, you never really feel like you step up the ranks that much. While you do work for the higher organizations and higher boss within that organization, you are basically a hitman. You were always a hitman and nothing more than that. They never even give you benefits for being great hitman. They hardly awknowledge that you were a awesome hitman. There was no moving on up for NIko. Granted, you did go to a different apartments, but I don't recall it was out of your money (correct me if I'm wrong) but it was out of the storyline and Roman's money.

Like with San Andreas, you work your way to the top again of your own gang. With the respect meter, you were able to recruit other gangstas to follow you. You weren't really the leader of the gang, but co-leader I suppose. But at least they awknowledge your hard work. In Vice City you also work your way to the top. Right before you even establish your own gang there, you had major respect of top gangstas there for the work you did for them. The whole game felt like a monotone of working hard to achieve little.

That was something I was missing for GTA 4. Maybe you guys felt differently than me.

Anyway, I do like the storyline and its darker and serious tone of the series. But it misses out a few gameplay features and progression that just make the prior games and GTA 5 very fun. The game itself was both a step forward and a step backwards. It was almost like remake of GTA 3 instead of a advancement of GTA: SA and Vice City. Despite my criticism, it is still a great game. I just don't think it's the best.

i don't think the progression that seems for you to be important in a GTA is necessarily a good thing . for exemple myself , i don't like that progression (money earning , fitness , properties acquiring) cause each time you lost your savegame for a reason or another , and it may happens when you do some modding , when you start again you obviously will have a different character because of a different way of life . i don't like this myself . with IV and Niko , each time you lost your savegame or you have to start from the beginning because of a modding error , you have the feeling that you have the same Niko again and that he is going on new adventures . that progression thing insert an idea of perfection , you always search for the perfect savegame and at the end you throw away the joypad cause you're disgusted (of non reaching your goal)

@ cinoy : after 5 years i do hope V is technically better but we're more talking of a global feeling here :)

Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

I don't think it is. It misses out a bunch of features and mission variety.

1. Missions

I think a lot of us who played GTA 4 know that the missions can be repetitive. And not just drive to point A to point B deal. It's the presentation and the heavy scripted car chase scenes. It's too much. It's predecessor had less scripted car chase scenes where you can kill the driver, police chase you, or any other random thing could happen. They all too familary presentation of going driving to point A to point B to a warehouse or field or something to kill somebody. They never add anything too different. You were basically a hit man throughout the game.

Granted, Ballad of Gay Tony DLC added some cool missions.

2. Nothing to spend your money on

GTA 4 lacked here in comparison to Vice City, San Andreas, and GTA 5. While you could spend your money on clothes and guns, you are just restricted to that alone. In all the games that I mentioned, you can do that and buy properties and businesses. SA and GTA 5 you can customize your car and have more clothes to buy.

Granted, GTA 4 is suppose to be most realistic out of the current GTAs, but still doesn't exclude the lack of stuff that you can't do with your money. You don't have to buy businesses, but car customization and more apartments would've been nice  to have seeing as GTA: SA did it before you. Even when I robbed the freakin' bank, my standard of living don't really seem to change much because I don't really have anything to spend it on. Hell, Niko is still looking for work as a hitman. But this leads to my personal dislike of the game.

3. Your standard of living and status don't change much (personal opinion)

Niko throughout the game was a hitman for various of gangstas and some corrupt cops. But imo, you never really feel like you step up the ranks that much. While you do work for the higher organizations and higher boss within that organization, you are basically a hitman. You were always a hitman and nothing more than that. They never even give you benefits for being great hitman. They hardly awknowledge that you were a awesome hitman. There was no moving on up for NIko. Granted, you did go to a different apartments, but I don't recall it was out of your money (correct me if I'm wrong) but it was out of the storyline and Roman's money.

Like with San Andreas, you work your way to the top again of your own gang. With the respect meter, you were able to recruit other gangstas to follow you. You weren't really the leader of the gang, but co-leader I suppose. But at least they awknowledge your hard work. In Vice City you also work your way to the top. Right before you even establish your own gang there, you had major respect of top gangstas there for the work you did for them. The whole game felt like a monotone of working hard to achieve little.

That was something I was missing for GTA 4. Maybe you guys felt differently than me.

Anyway, I do like the storyline and its darker and serious tone of the series. But it misses out a few gameplay features and progression that just make the prior games and GTA 5 very fun. The game itself was both a step forward and a step backwards. It was almost like remake of GTA 3 instead of a advancement of GTA: SA and Vice City. Despite my criticism, it is still a great game. I just don't think it's the best.

i don't think the progression that seems for you to be important in a GTA is necessarily a good thing . for exemple myself , i don't like that progression (money earning , fitness , properties acquiring) cause each time you lost your savegame for a reason or another , and it may happens when you do some modding , when you start again you obviously will have a different character because of a different way of life . i don't like this myself . with IV and Niko , each time you lost your savegame or you have to start from the beginning because of a modding error , you have the feeling that you have the same Niko again and that he is going on new adventures . that progression thing insert an idea of perfection , you always search for the perfect savegame and at the end you throw away the joypad cause you're disgusted (of non reaching your goal)

@ cinoy : after 5 years i do hope V is technically better but we're more talking of a global feeling here :)

I think it's safe to say that we would agree to disagree on this. I really like the idea of progressing my character and look forward owning properties because it's a goal and shows a reward for all the work you did for your money. I like the sense of perfection of owning those things. And restarting it again feel like adventure over again. I don't feel that way about GTA 4 or GTA 3 (but GTA 3 is forgiven because it was the first 3d open world). Anyway, I like the feeling of being on top.

brOkeRxBoYxLC
  • brOkeRxBoYxLC

Mr. Liberty

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 07:42 PM

I feel like that after GTA IV, there would be no adjusting to another city. Liberty City was just so impeccable, so precise so relatable to real life, it almost felt like it was a real city, and we were all inhabitants.

GTA V does not give off that living breathing city vibe that LC had. don't get me wrong V is an amazing game and I love it, but IV will always be number one.

I can go on forever when listing the things that I loved about IV, though I can list a bunch that were wrong with it.

If Rockstar really wants to make a video game that will leave a lasting impression even better than IV, they should combine each city (SA, LC, VC, etc). with all of those cities in one game, including smaller ones, the game will truly be a milestone and set a ridiculous example for any other videogames. do this, and it will be the best game in history

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users