IV is still the best

33 replies to this topic
Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:01 PM

Current-generation GTA, if that makes the SA lovers happy. :lol:

That is all. Five had the chance, but it definately is still empty and lacks a lot.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

I was playing GTA IV yesterday and despite GTA V obviously looking better GTA IV had that I don't know "magic" about it that seems to lack in GTA V.

It's a great game, but having a heap of features doesn't automatically make it a better game . That's why I prefer GTA III and VC to SA .

I do like GTA V, but GTA IV had its eye in creating a focused experience that GTA V seems to not do for some reason.

Don't get me wrong I've had a blast playing GTA V, but I had a feeling before it released it wasn't going to top GTA IV as my favourite.
  • GúnZinEss and StingrayX like this

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

Agreed i think Iv has it beat by quite a distance V was still a good game in its own right but its not a masterpiece like IV. 

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:46 PM Edited by jpm1, 07 October 2013 - 01:47 PM.

i'm waiting for PC version myself . i was watching V vids few days ago , and i was saying to myself that V was great and will probably eclipse IV . but you know what i played IV yesterday and i was saying to me exactly the opposite :) . IV is really a great game , and Niko is a lovable guy that makes you come back again and again

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

I still think GTA V is a better game than GTA IV, but not by much. And that in itself is a bit of a failure from Rockstar in my view. GTA V really should have been miles better than GTA IV, but I cannot truthfully say that it is. I have very much enjoyed playing GTA V so far, but I still feel it's lacking things that would have made it so great. I also feel that they could have done much, much more with this game, considering how huge the map is, and I feel the main storyline is a little short. GTa IV definitely had a much better and more engaging storyline, no question about that. 

Even I believe GTA V is better, I still think that GTA IV does certain things much better than GTA V. 

• Tabula Rasa and hailed like this

ScottMU
  • ScottMU

Burger Shot Employee of the Month

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

Agree, GTA IV was and is phenomenal, I played IV so much after it's release but I'm already bored of V and barely play it. Sorry but GTA IV is a perfect example of the phrases 'less is more' and 'quality over quantity', I also preferred III and Vice City over San Andreas, just because V and San Andreas have lots more features and a bigger map doesn't automatically make them better, quite the contrary. 

Niko is an amazing character that I grew with as his epic story unfolded and I found myself caring about him and his decisions.

jpm1
  • jpm1

Vice city citizen

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:02 PM Edited by jpm1, 07 October 2013 - 04:02 PM.

I still think GTA V is a better game than GTA IV, but not by much. And that in itself is a bit of a failure from Rockstar in my view....

IV was already an outstanding game , it was impossible (IMHO) to do a lot better

... but I still feel it's lacking things that would have made it so great. I also feel that they could have done much, much more with this game, considering how huge the map ...

wait for PC version ;) , i'm pretty sure these old consoles hardware forced R* to do some choices . but man i canno't imagine , as it has already been reported to me that the PC version will be restaurants free :panic:

danik18
  • danik18

DYOM User

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

Reasons why I don't like IV :

Story : Doing missions for a fat cousin.

Missions : Drive from point a to b.In next moment and extra boring shootout.

Cover system : When you are in cover,you are kinda invincible.Even if taking cover at a mailbox,you can only be hit when you dive out.

Driving : Nothing to say here.I think you know what I mean.

Graphics : ......

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

Story : Doing missions for a fat cousin.

Missions : Drive from point a to b.In next moment and extra boring shootout.

Cover system : When you are in cover,you are kinda invincible.Even if taking cover at a mailbox,you can only be hit when you dive out.

Driving : Nothing to say here.I think you know what I mean.

Ahhh, there had to be one person. I'm not hating, fair enough that's your opinion.

However, clearly IV is a great game, people played it right through to V's release and wasn't forgotten by many including myself. I put hundreds and hundreds of hours into it over the years and is easily my favourite game this generation of consoles. So many memories online with friends, also so much grief and hate, but that's what GTA is - it's hardly for the faint-hearted. I mean, now rockstar stop you from playing with players because you've blown up a few cars. At the end of the day it's a game, unless you're too young to be playing you're not going to worry too much about your modified car that got destroyed are you.

I'm definitely going to continue to play IV multiplayer, perhaps go through the missions AGAIN at my own pace - it just has that "magic" about it as Miamivicecity said that makes you want to play it again. Which is something I can confidently say I won't be doing with V. As shocking as that sounds as it's the new GTA, it's the truth. It's just not GTA anymore.

StingrayX
  • StingrayX

♢ Las Venturas ♢

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:25 PM

V just misses something that IV had. I'm not talking physics wise, although IV did have better physics in my opinion in almost every possible way. Going arcade wasn't the smart way to go in my opinion. V just lacks something, and it kind of sucks to have that "something" lack. I'm a billionare in V, got all of the cars I want, and then the game gave us two large houses in the hills. There is countryside, some curvy roads, wildlife, etc but I just don't feel like... how I wanted to feel. Things feel a bit too changed up from IV like I know change needed to happen but I think they changed things that weren't broken and could have easily been passed onto V. The physics, they aren't really that awesome. Driving is fun but the lack of suspension and the way some cars turn makes me sick, especially the way you can't even ram into certain cars or move them out of the way like you could in IV.

And attention to detail just seems to be lacking in certain places that I thought were actualy done better in IV. Feels a bit weird. V is still awesome and I think it is slightly better than IV, but IV will always be like the most rememberable GTA for me.

Neonic9
  • Neonic9

Linki

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

GTA VC was better than GTA III, GTA SA was better than GTA VC, GTA IV was better than GTA SA, and GTA V is better than GTA IV.

Each game was better than the last.

However, it's about which vibe you prefer.

I prefer III's vibe over VC's and SA's vibe, and I do prefer IV's vibe over V's, and III's, too.

StingrayX
  • StingrayX

♢ Las Venturas ♢

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

You can't say each game was better than the last one as a fact, that is your opinion. Yeah there are always improvements but sometimes the successor makes you like the predeccesor more.

• Flashify likes this

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

And certain features that should of stayed the same got changed and now I can't do my burnouts in the muscles or high powered, rear wheel sports cars (banshee and corquette were best in IV) to the same satisfaction because all the cars in V find grip after 3 seconds of wheelspin. Just an example but rockstar have pissed me off with things like that

TabooV2
  • TabooV2

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

This game was alright. I had lots of fun times playing with friends online, but the SP didn't really do much for me :(

BasicConduct
  • BasicConduct

Trevors Evil Twin

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

I believe IV had so much more to offer and a much better story line than the current one has... When I finished IV i felt satisfied and happy with V it was like... this is it?? It was way too short... IV hands down still better.

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

Exactly. 5 years and counting of playing IV > 3 weeks and finished with V. Hope I get a fair trade-in price.

EscobarVice
  • EscobarVice

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

That is all. Five had the chance, but it definately is still empty and lacks a lot.

I'm sorry, but 5 is not empty and lacking.

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:42 PM

Yes, it really is.

Lack of interiors, lack of story length, lack of vehicle customization (some vehicles have no more options than turbo and respray, even a few typical sedans and coupes). Etc

hailed
  • hailed

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:49 PM Edited by hailed, 10 October 2013 - 11:50 PM.

I still think GTA V is a better game than GTA IV, but not by much. And that in itself is a bit of a failure from Rockstar in my view. GTA V really should have been miles better than GTA IV, but I cannot truthfully say that it is. I have very much enjoyed playing GTA V so far, but I still feel it's lacking things that would have made it so great. I also feel that they could have done much, much more with this game, considering how huge the map is, and I feel the main storyline is a little short. GTa IV definitely had a much better and more engaging storyline, no question about that. 

Even I believe GTA V is better, I still think that GTA IV does certain things much better than GTA V. 

I agree, the storyline is way too short, took me like 5 days to finish it. IV took me AGES to complete I'm talking months here.. lol

Including TBOGT AND TLATD.

Neonic9
  • Neonic9

Linki

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:57 PM

You can't say each game was better than the last one as a fact, that is your opinion. Yeah there are always improvements but sometimes the successor makes you like the predeccesor more.

No, it's a fact. Our preferences for certain games over other ones are not.

gmgo
  • gmgo

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:26 PM Edited by gmgo, 11 October 2013 - 12:29 PM.

No, it's a fact. Our preferences for certain games over other ones are not.

Depends how you define "being a better game".

Technically Doom 3 is much more superior than Doom (1). It has better graphics, gameplay, story, presentation, sound & music.

But under no frikin' way someone would say Doom 3 is "better" than Doom, I mean Doom was a f***** revolution in the gaming industry. The term "FPS" didn't exist, they were all "Doom-clones" after that. Doom 3, instead, was a descent game shadowed by Half-Life 2.

So when someone asks me "which game is better", I consider their context: when they were released, what it meant back then, how much people enjoyed them.

On topic: GTA IV was pretty revolutionary for bringing (one of) the most popular gaming franchise into HD generation, with a huge attention to the details, and making the city feel so real and similar to the real-life counterpart.

Personally, I didn't like GTA IV because, while it was great on many aspects, I found the story dull and being confined to a city after San Andreas was boring, and I felt it was stripped from features the previous GTA had..

GTA V is a sort of combination of GTA IV with San Andreas, which is great. Takes the best of both games and combines them. I'm still playing through it, so I can't say a final veredict (plus, haven't tried it's online component). I do feel it doesn't add much to the formula other than multiple protagonists (which I do like). Need to try Online though.

Crewnordin
  • Crewnordin

Snitch

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

GTA 4 is the worst ever GTA game in history. Really its absurdy bad,, not even the radio stations were remotely close to being good. The driving is HORRIBLE. Its like your driving a boat,, Niko walks like a fat man. Liberty City is boring af. The missions have no variety, dark game,, Online was Airport only. GTA 4 is the most dissapointing game ever. GTA 5 is the BEST GTA ever, no doubt no questioning. Im glad they went back to their roots. 

LzInFaMouSzL
  • LzInFaMouSzL

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

Better be careful, Azazel doesn't like threads like this..

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:39 AM

GTA 4 is the worst ever GTA game in history. Really its absurdy bad,, not even the radio stations were remotely close to being good. The driving is HORRIBLE. Its like your driving a boat,, Niko walks like a fat man. Liberty City is boring af. The missions have no variety, dark game,, Online was Airport only. GTA 4 is the most dissapointing game ever. GTA 5 is the BEST GTA ever, no doubt no questioning. Im glad they went back to their roots.

It was their first HD GTA with brand new physics and mechanics let alone the step up in graphics.

It's a massive f*cking step up.

Soda and Soap
  • Soda and Soap

Dr Pepper

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:15 PM Edited by Soda and Soap, 14 October 2013 - 08:16 PM.

GTA IV too me was just WAY better then GTA V IMO. V is a great game, but I think it really did drop the ball at times. IV was special, the story was longer & very gripping, you really could connect with Niko as the story progressed. 

The driving was more realistic, & not arcade like. Losing the cops in IV wasn't a boring chore like in GTA V. You could actually have fun police chases at 3 stars without being constantly rammed or shot too death within seconds.  

The guns were louder & sounded better, the explosions looked a lot more real, radio was better, more interiors, a nice & simple online mode which was easy to use. I played GTA IV for years, I honestly can't see myself playing GTA V that much now that the story is done & now that I own an apartment online. 

• Neonic9 likes this

JayAkuma
  • JayAkuma

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

Yes, it really is.

Lack of interiors, lack of story length, lack of vehicle customization (some vehicles have no more options than turbo and respray, even a few typical sedans and coupes). Etc

Not all cars can get suped up they way others can. Same with almost any vehicle. You really expect a SEDAN to get the same mods as a tuner?(Although I wish I could pimp out the Fugitive) GTA IV had no customization of any kind so GTAV having what it does is almost like a godsend. There are a lack of interiors but when you go back to SA and IV, most interiors were just the same restaurants, police stations and hospitals(GTA IV). The story length is always dependable on the player, it took me months to beat Red Dead and that game only had 56 missions. You GTA IV fanboys are letting nostalgia blind your reasoning. I personally hated the game after awhile because it just seemed to drag on and on. Very few missions were actually engaging and some were awesome but then turned into a chore. GTA IV had been out a lot longer so of course you've had more time to play it. GTAV has been out for a week, not to mention they have greatly improved upon the multiplayer which they will continue to focus on somewhat like an MMO. Driving in IV was fun until I took a 3 year break from gaming, all of the sudden the driving was garbage so in those regards, driving wasn't a big deal, just my own suckage. The arcade like feel of GTAV is a homeage to SA and other past game yet at the same time they try to balance realism. I think R* did an excellent job blending all their most recent hits into one game. 

Overall I enjoyed this game more than GTAIV and even SA.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:20 AM Edited by BabeRuth, 15 October 2013 - 07:22 AM.

That should be a good thing! At least you won't die, especially if you're doing a mission.

Why does graphics matter? It can have the worst graphics but that doesn't affect the storyline or the fun gameplay.

Seriously.... It's pathetic why people think graphics matter now-a-days (SMFH). I'll take a Resident Evil 2 over Resident Evil 4, 5, & 6 any day or Final Fantasy 6-10 over 12-14. I guess it depends what era/generation you where born in.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Give me Liberty

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:43 PM

I love GTA IV so much I still have a save going with my ps3 version and just started a new one with my 360 version too lol.
  • namor likes this

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:23 AM Edited by Official General, 16 October 2013 - 01:25 AM.

I love GTA IV so much I still have a save going with my ps3 version and just started a new one with my 360 version too lol.

I never thought I'd say this, but I am actually looking very forward to my next playthrough on GTA IV (with free aim for the first time). I've completed GTA V's storyline, and I'm doing a bit of SP free roam for now, try the online. As soon as I do that, it's straight back to IV for me. 

I really enjoyed V, but there some things that IV just did better, and I just wanna return back to the dark storyline and those gritty streets in the concrete jungles of Liberty City. 

Vatus
  • Vatus

Rat

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:33 AM Edited by Vatus, 16 October 2013 - 07:35 AM.

I don't think it is. It misses out a bunch of features and mission variety.

1. Missions

I think a lot of us who played GTA 4 know that the missions can be repetitive. And not just drive to point A to point B deal. It's the presentation and the heavy scripted car chase scenes. It's too much. It's predecessor had less scripted car chase scenes where you can kill the driver, police chase you, or any other random thing could happen. They all too familary presentation of going driving to point A to point B to a warehouse or field or something to kill somebody. They never add anything too different. You were basically a hit man throughout the game.

Granted, Ballad of Gay Tony DLC added some cool missions.

2. Nothing to spend your money on

GTA 4 lacked here in comparison to Vice City, San Andreas, and GTA 5. While you could spend your money on clothes and guns, you are just restricted to that alone. In all the games that I mentioned, you can do that and buy properties and businesses. SA and GTA 5 you can customize your car and have more clothes to buy.

Granted, GTA 4 is suppose to be most realistic out of the current GTAs, but still doesn't exclude the lack of stuff that you can't do with your money. You don't have to buy businesses, but car customization and more apartments would've been nice  to have seeing as GTA: SA did it before you. Even when I robbed the freakin' bank, my standard of living don't really seem to change much because I don't really have anything to spend it on. Hell, Niko is still looking for work as a hitman. But this leads to my personal dislike of the game.

3. Your standard of living and status don't change much (personal opinion)

Niko throughout the game was a hitman for various of gangstas and some corrupt cops. But imo, you never really feel like you step up the ranks that much. While you do work for the higher organizations and higher boss within that organization, you are basically a hitman. You were always a hitman and nothing more than that. They never even give you benefits for being great hitman. They hardly awknowledge that you were a awesome hitman. There was no moving on up for NIko. Granted, you did go to a different apartments, but I don't recall it was out of your money (correct me if I'm wrong) but it was out of the storyline and Roman's money.

Like with San Andreas, you work your way to the top again of your own gang. With the respect meter, you were able to recruit other gangstas to follow you. You weren't really the leader of the gang, but co-leader I suppose. But at least they awknowledge your hard work. In Vice City you also work your way to the top. Right before you even establish your own gang there, you had major respect of top gangstas there for the work you did for them. The whole game felt like a monotone of working hard to achieve little.

That was something I was missing for GTA 4. Maybe you guys felt differently than me.

Anyway, I do like the storyline and its darker and serious tone of the series. But it misses out a few gameplay features and progression that just make the prior games and GTA 5 very fun. The game itself was both a step forward and a step backwards. It was almost like remake of GTA 3 instead of a advancement of GTA: SA and Vice City. Despite my criticism, it is still a great game. I just don't think it's the best.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users