Photo

That sad moment you realize GTA:O is an MMORPG (like World of Warcraft

90 replies to this topic
Ronrollin9434
  • Ronrollin9434

Grotti Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:05 AM

The game will require endless hours of grinding, which is incredibly stupid. Very sneaky of Rockstar, too.

The game will suck people in. People will pour endless amounts of money into the game as well. I can't believe Rockstar decided to allow the GTA series to basically turn into an MMORPG. Even GTA IV was more respectable.

How is this game any different than WoW?

1.) "Jobs" are basically "raids". You get exposure to more difficult jobs as you increase your level... 

2.) Guns are equips. You can't buy certain guns until you get to a certain level. I'm surprised Rockstar didn't find a clever way to create "classes" so that only certain types of people could use certain types of weapons (causing you to want to create multiple characters and grind endlessly on them).

3.) The world will be expanded. It's no different than a WoW expansion. Different maps, same repetitive bs.

The list could go on and on... parties to do raids/jobs, experience points for levels, side jobs, free roam when not in a "private" raid/dungeon....

I enjoyed GTA when it was simply a creative free roam sandbox game. Rockstar promised us that GTAO would be something never seen before...  it's a re-theming of WoW...

Instead of running around as elves and wizards we're running around as hitmen and thugs...

What's the end game to all of this? Even the "storyline" missions are repetitive. I've never played WoW and I promised myself I never would. But I see too much resemblance in GTAO and WoW. Not liking it at all.

• beatthedevil56, BettyBlueGT, sultangris and 1 other like this

Googz
  • Googz

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:09 AM

Well the gaming world has been waiting quite some time for a true mmorpg shooter!! Despite the similarities you mentioned GTA online is not quite an mmorpg! Look out for Tom Clancy's The Divison- probably going to be the first true mmorpg shooter!
  • willinjapan likes this

EVOAccura
  • EVOAccura

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

A GTA WoW is the best possible case.

I'm stoked.

• archiebunker likes this

GTALegion
  • GTALegion

Leader of the GTAOLegion

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:12 AM Edited by GTALegion, 07 October 2013 - 06:12 AM.

I think it's fantastic. If you ask me, robbing rival gangs of their coke supply is WAAAAAAAY more fun than "Kill 10 rats and return to me".

Also, I can just jack any "mount" I want and upgrade it to an "epic mount" in a nearby Pay'N'Spray at any time.

P.S. I HATE MMORPGS but love this.

• GTAhole likes this

CaveRave
  • CaveRave

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:12 AM Edited by CaveRave, 07 October 2013 - 06:15 AM.

Can't kill people randomly in an MMO but I actually agree with this. I feel that it's a good mix between a MMO and a sandbox game though rather than a direct clone.

Would prefer the sandboxing free roam provided in GTA IV but levelling up with friends is fun.

Also, consider that you have all the features in single player as well. That's something no 'MMO' provided.

Jersey
  • Jersey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:13 AM

The game will require endless hours of grinding, which is incredibly stupid. Very sneaky of Rockstar, too.

The game will suck people in. People will pour endless amounts of money into the game as well. I can't believe Rockstar decided to allow the GTA series to basically turn into an MMORPG. Even GTA IV was more respectable.

1.) "Jobs" are basically "raids". You get exposure to more difficult jobs as you increase your level... 

2.) Guns are equips. You can't buy certain guns until you get to a certain level. I'm surprised Rockstar didn't find a clever way to create "classes" so that only certain types of people could use certain types of weapons (causing you to want to create multiple characters and grind endlessly on them).

3.) The world will be expanded. It's no different than a WoW expansion. Different maps, same repetitive bs.

The list could go on and on... parties to do raids/jobs, experience points for levels, side jobs, free roam when not in a "private" raid/dungeon....

I enjoyed GTA when it was simply a creative free roam sandbox game. Rockstar promised us that GTAO would be something never seen before...  it's a re-theming of WoW...

Instead of running around as elves and wizards we're running around as hitmen and thugs...

What's the end game to all of this? Even the "storyline" missions are repetitive. I've never played WoW and I promised myself I never would. But I see too much resemblance in GTAO and WoW. Not liking it at all

If you think GTA is an MMO you need to actually play one first. You clearly have no idea what the hell you are talking about 

GarX
  • GarX

Duke

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:14 AM

I think its the best of both worlds.

Concorde2010
  • Concorde2010

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:14 AM

GTA isn't an mmorpg... dafuq dude?

Don 'de Medici'
  • Don 'de Medici'

le wild OG appears

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:14 AM Edited by Don 'de Medici', 07 October 2013 - 06:14 AM.

OP

What is wrong with an MMO?  You made your case about it being similar to MMO's but so what? Is that not good?

I'll tell you im biased to WoW i've played every class to max level for almost 10 years now.  But im glad gta is going that direction GTA4 was not this fun

• Jersey likes this

C4-_-GIBBfather
  • C4-_-GIBBfather

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:15 AM

I Think it is awesome! The game will last a long time. I am realy enjoying it. And i dont need to buy any more games this year! perfekt! :)

Vidioh
  • Vidioh

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:15 AM Edited by Vidioh, 07 October 2013 - 06:16 AM.

IMO That only makes the game better. GTA IV was pretty bland in terms of multiplayer and not very different to saints row 2 multiplayer now they have made something that attracts both singleplayer gamers as well as multiplayer gamers. Leveling and unlocks have become a standard now even Battlefield/ Call of Duty have RPG Influences with character progression.

avfc1991
  • avfc1991

KATY PERRY <3

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:17 AM

Good fun when it's working..

carlwinslo84
  • carlwinslo84

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:22 AM Edited by carlwinslo84, 07 October 2013 - 06:25 AM.

The OP has obviously no idea what he is talking about. Raids in mmo's take hours to complete not 5 minutes. Plus what did you expect from gta online? Its a large scale game "Massive" you are playing against other real life players "multiplayer" and its "online". The rpg element is as basic as can be. But whatever it seems fun when its working. I have lost two characters and refuse to play it again until they restore one of my characters or reimburse me somehow and promise it wont happen again.

Edit: Also while the map is a decent size for a console its still miniscule compared to Wow or SWTOR. Those games are gargantuan compared to the area of San Andreas.

• Don 'de Medici' likes this

BettyBlueGT
  • BettyBlueGT

Thug

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:23 AM

I'm going to give Rockstar money so I can do another take on "steal this car" and "get the drugs" over and over and over....

rap206
  • rap206

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:24 AM

So basically OP you want Rockstar to just have everything unlocked right from the start rather than having you work for it and feel some sort of sense of achievement ?

Quick start a pertition , yeah i'm sure that'll work :p

Zonegamer
  • Zonegamer

Front Yard Balla

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:26 AM Edited by Zonegamer, 07 October 2013 - 06:26 AM.

I'm glad they took this route by adding rpg elements, GTA online can be fun when in working condition. I feel it's a hybrid of an mmorpg in a sense with more freedom in regards to killing and robbing. Now if only they would add more elements from the sims, this would be the ultimate mmo experience imo.

Vidioh
  • Vidioh

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

So basically OP you want Rockstar to just have everything unlocked right from the start rather than having you work for it and feel some sort of sense of achievement ?

Quick start a pertition , yeah i'm sure that'll work :p

That petition will get Rockstar doing all kinds of things.

Don 'de Medici'
  • Don 'de Medici'

le wild OG appears

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

Edit: Also while the map is a decent size for a console its still miniscule compared to Wow or SWTOR. Those games are gargantuan compared to the area of San Andreas.

San Andreas map is like Northrend if you play wow.

The smallest yet very detailed island.  I bet they have similar sq mileage.

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Chad

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:31 AM Edited by NateShaw92, 07 October 2013 - 06:31 AM.

if you consider it a grind, don't . You are not forced to reach lvl 120

gmoneymaster24
  • gmoneymaster24

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:32 AM

Dude this is the future of gaming so get in or get out. With games like Destiny and the Division, it's looking pretty awesome imo. 

ZombCreations
  • ZombCreations

Playa

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:33 AM

This is a bad thing? I love mmorpgs. I was very excited that gta online would be like this.
  • archiebunker and Nick2ooo like this

rexmaverik
  • rexmaverik

Career Gamer/NO BS

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:34 AM Edited by rexmaverik, 07 October 2013 - 06:34 AM.

What's the end game to all of this? Even the "storyline" missions are repetitive. I've never played WoW and I promised myself I never would. But I see too much resemblance in GTAO and WoW. Not liking it at all.

I said this last week and I yelled at by about 50 ppl. Why, b/c they think GTA is the GOD of all games when it borrowed EVERYTHING FROM WoW. Which I never played.

• Ronrollin9434 likes this

rexmaverik
  • rexmaverik

Career Gamer/NO BS

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

Ans sadly this is the future of gaming. All virtual interaction and no-interpersonal socialization. Almost no more SP only MP.

Apxidia
  • Apxidia

Apxidia

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:37 AM

Pop quiz:  What happens to nearly every MMO that has a lack luster end game?

Hint: It's not a good thing.

As it stands, GTA has no end game.  I hope R* is not counting on this to be a standard MMO because they are missing extremely vital components that keep players playing this type of genere.

The highest lvl one can reach has been found to be 999.  You will be able to get all of the weapons, cars, and houses you want under lvl 200.  So what's the point to continue on this MMO journey?  You have nothing to strive for except a higher rank, but who actually wants to be in grind mode all the way to lvl999?

So you can finally do heists(raids) now, great!  But what do you get for it?  More money.  Well by then money will mean nothing to you.  GTA:O has only been working off and on for about 3-4 days for most people, and already there are many players who don't care about money because they have everything.

So maybe free roam is the end game right?  Maybe its just to have fun with all your stuff and cause mayhem with friends and randoms there.  Nope, free roam was not designed for that.  You'll end up with a bad rep within a week and a dunce cap on your head, playing with all the other people in the bad rep servers, who like you, have nothing to do but blow sh*t up.

So the end game will be the bad rep servers with dunce caps.  Cool.

Concorde2010
  • Concorde2010

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:37 AM

Ans sadly this is the future of gaming. All virtual interaction and no-interpersonal socialization. Almost no more SP only MP.

This. So much This...

Just too bad that it is what the majority of people seem to like. 

Oh well... I´ll be missing them good ole' days

• rexmaverik likes this

carlwinslo84
  • carlwinslo84

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

I said this last week and I yelled at by about 50 ppl. Why, b/c they think GTA is the GOD of all games when it borrowed EVERYTHING FROM WoW. Which I never played.

How do you know they borrowed everything for WoW if you never played it? This game is the farthest thing from WoW that i can think of. Think before you speak.

Ronrollin9434
  • Ronrollin9434

Grotti Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:44 AM

Turning gta into an mmorpg just screams ''we've sold out'' to me... It's tacky and repetitive in gaming... Leveling up in Grand Theft Auto? For what? To unlock guns and cars that I already have access to in single player?

Really the only thing that entices me to level up is being able to see the interiors of the various safe houses that are available... Playing online with friends is fun. However when they told us that we have access to 700 Missions online I assumed that they would each be unique and have a continuous storyline to them. But as it turns out the missions are incredibly shallow, imaginative and repetitive.

iKevhawk
  • iKevhawk

Street Racer

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:44 AM Edited by iKevhawk, 07 October 2013 - 06:45 AM.

OP

What is wrong with an MMO?  You made your case about it being similar to MMO's but so what? Is that not good?

I'll tell you im biased to WoW i've played every class to max level for almost 10 years now.  But im glad gta is going that direction GTA4 was not this fun

The problem with MMOs (that aren't developed by SOE) is they become a treadmill where the player repeats the same action. Over and over and over again.

GTA is supposed to be a sandbox game with a story, WoW is a boring stupid treadmill with an open world that is as linear as it gets.

WoW would be one of the last MMOs I would ever choose to play again due to its linear style, the only ones worse than it being TOR and RIFT. 

Granted, I don't see the resemblance like the thread poster does. it has really generic RPG elements that are prevalent in most games.

• Ronrollin9434 likes this

Googz
  • Googz

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:46 AM Edited by Googz, 07 October 2013 - 06:48 AM.

Somewhat true for console games not so much for PC gaming! With the keyboard access you can chat with others and get to know the quite well, I guess it does depend on the game you are playing! Also I think a lot of the MP games assume you have a bunch of online friends to play with from the start, if not there are many clan recruiting sites!

Ronrollin9434
  • Ronrollin9434

Grotti Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:48 AM

And to the person who made the comparison of heists to raids, I think you're right.

Heists = raids

Jobs = quests

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users