Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is it Rockstar's fault at this point? or the company hosting the s

14 replies to this topic

Poll: Is it Rockstar's fault at this point? or the company hosting the s (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Is it Rockstar's fault at this point? or the company hosting the servers?

1. The company hosting the servers (11 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Rockstar's Fault (11 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote
DJ Insanity
  • DJ Insanity

Street Cat

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:16 AM Edited by DJ Insanity, 07 October 2013 - 05:22 AM.

Last week I was with Rockstar and telling people to be patient... I'm still going to tell people to be patient, but it is worrysome that GTA Online is still having cloud issues. At this point, I believe that Rockstar isn't working on the servers and that the servers are being hosted somewhere else by another provider. If this is the case this could be why it's taking so long to fix. I can get in online, but I'm still not sure if I want to buy a place or a car in knowing it's going to dis-appear the next day.

Concorde2010
  • Concorde2010

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:18 AM

It´s gravity's fault!

It keeps them Servers down 24/7.

F U Physics!

Mr_Hate_Me
  • Mr_Hate_Me

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

inb4america'sfault

motorider420
  • motorider420

MotoRider42HC

• Members

Last week I was with Rockstar and telling people to be patient... I'm still going to tell people to be patient, but it is worrysome that GTA Online is still having cloud issues. At this point, I believe that Rockstar isn't working on the servers and that the servers are being hosted somewhere else by another provider. If this is the case this could be why it's taking so long to fix. I can get in online, but I'm still not sure if I want to buy a place or a car in knowing it's going to dis-appear the next day.

Project Management 101

- Never ever trust anyone else but yourself to do it right.  R* all the way.

HowToRoot
  • HowToRoot

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:19 AM

Obama

• Concorde2010 likes this

DJ Insanity
  • DJ Insanity

Street Cat

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:21 AM

Project Management 101

- Never ever trust anyone else but yourself to do it right.  R* all the way.

Only person that is being serious  /gives cookie

LanOsb133
  • LanOsb133

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:21 AM

The blame can't be directed to one person or another.  Its a group effort and if all 10 cylinders aren't firing in time then it won't work.  You can't blame a company who predicted 1 billion in sales by march (6 months out) to have servers for those millions of players in 2 weeks.  Servers were overloaded and thats when the bugs started happening.  They should have pushed the release date back another 2 weeks.  Sure you would have angry fans, but im sure they would be alot less pissed the everyone is now.

CresantMoon
  • CresantMoon

Under the willows

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:22 AM

thanks obama.

AJ Lee
  • AJ Lee

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:22 AM

Wel it's not my fault

DJ Insanity
  • DJ Insanity

Street Cat

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:24 AM

The blame can't be directed to one person or another.  Its a group effort and if all 10 cylinders aren't firing in time then it won't work.  You can't blame a company who predicted 1 billion in sales by march (6 months out) to have servers for those millions of players in 2 weeks.  Servers were overloaded and thats when the bugs started happening.  They should have pushed the release date back another 2 weeks.  Sure you would have angry fans, but im sure they would be alot less pissed the everyone is now.

Yeah I been saying this before, but a lot of people are so pissed that they can't get in that they are not thinking about both parties. Of course Rockstar wants this to be fixed... you think the employees would want to go home and see there familes and get some sleep by now.

wallpaper42
  • wallpaper42

Hustler

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:27 AM

This is literally the biggest game launch in all of history. Of course the servers are going to get butt f*cked into oblivion. I don't know if it could have happened any other way...

KingGladiator
  • KingGladiator

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:28 AM

It isn't CloudFlares fault. I've worked with them on many occasions (I also work in hosting services, have worked with Clouds for a while)

CloudFlare would have given R* a server that is blank. These would have been unmanaged servers, which means that CloudFlare would have been in charge of providing the server and ensuring the hardware is online. R* would have been in charge of EVERYTHING software related. The ONLY time the host does managed services is when the client would use very specific items on their servers, or pay through the nose.

The servers aren't having hardware issues, R* just can't figure out how to manage the php databases and keep them in sync as well as write scrips and processes well enough to handle the load.

AkumaBrad
  • AkumaBrad

Gramma Natsi

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:29 AM Edited by AkumaBrad, 07 October 2013 - 05:33 AM.

It entirely depends how they've set the server system up. If they've set up their own cloud farm, it's either:

- Not enough cloud servers to deal with the load

- Hosting provider is struggling to allocate and optimize bandwidth

If they've opted with a third-party cloud provider:

- They've not rented enough sever space, and are working with the cloud company to acquire more (don't forget, once more server space is accessible, they still need to be configured and setup)

- The cloud provider is struggling with optimization, bandwidth and/or routing issues

Edit: As KingGladiator also pointed out, databasing issues could also be a problem. I've worked with many databasing systems including MySQL, Orcale, and the crappy one that runs behind MS Access. They're tempremental buggers, and if not setup and managed correctly they can become problematic.

Clever and proper uses of cron jobs, automatic database optimizing scripts (basically maintenance scripts usually written in either Perl or Python) also make a big difference.

BettyBlueGT
  • BettyBlueGT

Thug

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:34 AM

I don't give a crap who is hosting the servers. Rockstar failed. Lets not try and pass the buck like Gearbox with Aliens.

DJ Insanity
  • DJ Insanity

Street Cat

• Members
  • Olympics

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:35 AM

Thanks for the good input guys. It's nice to see some good conversationg going back and forth. :colgate:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users