Quantcast

» «
Photo

Is Cleo 4 backwards compatible with Cleo 3?

15 replies to this topic
stormchaser206
  • stormchaser206

Mods rule

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Title is basically the question.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

PangTongNinja
  • PangTongNinja

Can I Pikachu?

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:45 AM

Cleo 4 mods won't work with Cleo 3. Every other ones should be fine.

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

Most mods created on CLEO 4 won't work on CLEO 3, as there are some CLEO 4 specific opcodes which CLEO 3 doesn't have. As for CLEO 3 mods working on CLEO 4, most likely yes, they work. There were some small changes from CLEO 3 to CLEO 4 which prevent complex scripts from working on CLEO 4.

fastman92
  • fastman92

фастман92 | ف

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:20 PM

There's a big difference of CLEO3 and CLEO4 as to why some CLEO scripts written for CLEO4 may work incorrectly on CLEO3 even if they use only CLEO3 opcodes.

When calling SCM function by 0AB1 in CLEO4 arguments are passed and saved into local variables, the rest of variables is getting nulled (zero values).
In CLEO3 arguments of 0AB1 are passed and saved into local variables, but the rest of variables is kept unchanged.
That may cause problems when a programmer assumed a variable to be of zero value and didn't make initialization line of that variable.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 10 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

After I finish the heaps of major last minute changes to SCRambl, I should have some time (and a brand new compiler) to work on CLEO 4. I already managed to add one or two small new features to existing opcodes and fixed some strange behaviour that has even existed since CLEO 3. Unfortunately the most major cause of incompatibility between CLEO 3 and CLEO 4 is also a really complex issue (incompatible file handles between CLEO and the game), but I have a hacky idea of how to fix it.

stormchaser206
  • stormchaser206

Mods rule

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

I think I said it backwards. I meant does CLEO 3 scripts work with CLEO 4.

ThirteenAG
  • ThirteenAG

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

Not always.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:57 AM

The release will usually specify whether it works on CLEO 3 or not. Is there any particular mod in question?

stormchaser206
  • stormchaser206

Mods rule

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

The release will usually specify whether it works on CLEO 3 or not. Is there any particular mod in question?

No particular mod. Some mods don't say which one, so I asked this question. It doesn't say either one on a lot of them. So, some or all CLEO 3 scripts work with CLEO 4?

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

Most of CLEO 3 scripts work with CLEO 4. There are rare exceptions which won't work, but there are only few of them.

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 November 2013 - 07:15 AM

I would say most don't work correctly. The most popular of all time CLEO scripts were written on CLEO3.

Switching from CLEO3 to CLEO4 with the Sanny update broke my game which is why I haven't modded squat the past couple of months. It caused instant problems loading a new game, playing the game, and compiling scripts. Even well known scripts like Ryosuke's Skin Selector can't be compiled anymore. I had zero game crashes and zero weird gameplay anomalies before switching and now I have both in abundance. Instantly.

Why? I don't know why. Were opcodes' functionality changed? I haven't had the patience to go read through tons of posts to figure out what the problem is. Is there a modder's guide that instructs us on how to convert a 3 script to a 4 script? Is there a "What's Different?" thread somewhere?

It sucks because I've heard about CLEO4 having some awesome features. I shouldn't have to choose between those and several years worth of scripting work. Players shouldn't have to choose between mods based on the CLEO version either. Maybe when I have more time I could troubleshoot it some.

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 23 November 2013 - 05:52 PM

*cough* sig *cough*

Midnightz
  • Midnightz

Populus vult decipi.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:34 AM

lol, yeah... the mobile version of this site is minimalistic - I can't even find the edit button.  Uhh, I'll have to look after finals.

V's been a welcome analytical distraction from trying to finish SA.  (Speaking of V and tools, will we be able to have at least as much modding freedom on the PC version as we do with SA?  I didn't get in on the IV era.)

ThirteenAG
  • ThirteenAG

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

CLEO 4.3 (90%)

fry.PNG

Is missile.cs finally working on cleo4? :)

Deji
  • Deji

Coding like a Rockstar!

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:43 PM Edited by Deji, 26 November 2013 - 01:45 PM.

CLEO 4.3 (90%)

Yes, I just need to check I've not broken any other things :p

Danikov
  • Danikov

The Fake Russian

• Members
  • Israel

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:50 PM

CLEO 4.3 (90%)

Yes, I just need to check I've not broken any other things :p

Oh,hell yes!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users