Photo

If You Lose Your Character, Don't Panic, Do This

88 replies to this topic
NJW1247
  • NJW1247

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

My character isnt deleted but its replaced with some rank 1 bald white dude with makeup....wtf should i do?

• Miraza247 likes this

blooded12
  • blooded12

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:21 PM

if you make 2 new characters in both slots, then delete them and remake them over slot 1, your old character will be in slot 2

Shpongled
  • Shpongled

Psychedelelicable

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:24 PM

Hm so, I just wanted to clarify something that I noticed.  

Before, I wasn't turning off my Xbox, I was just going to single player, then trying to go back online and each time it would bring me to the character creation screen.  So I tried restarting the Xbox and now it brings me to the "Alert" screen where I can choose to play a temporary character off the disc content, but I always select "Cancel" and it takes me back to single player.  

So I just took a phone call (in real life) and I got off the phone and came back to my TV and I was standing there as Michael in single player and in the bottom right of my screen is the loading circle and it says "Loading GTA Online Profile Stats."  

I wonder if that means stuff is going back up online?  The circle has been spinning for a bit now, a few minutes anyway since I noticed it.  Not sure how long it's been there since I had walked away from the TV.  And hopefully it's not stuck spinning because I don't want to mess with anything while it's spinning.  I will update if it stops spinning and then I will check on my character.

Miraza247
  • Miraza247

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

HAHA.... my rank 24 is replaced by a white chick with bug eyed sunglasses Wtf......

Shpongled
  • Shpongled

Psychedelelicable

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

HAHA.... my rank 24 is replaced by a white chick with bug eyed sunglasses Wtf......

For those of you who got their characters replaced rather than deleted, does your mugshot on Social Club look different from the original character design you chose?

http://socialclub.ro...rview/gtaonline

el_bloom
  • el_bloom

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

If you´re in the process of saving your character online (happens automatically) and the cloud goes down -> WHAMMY.

It can happen to ALL of you - chances are imho nearly the same for everyone.

You are warned.

el_bloom
  • el_bloom

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

Characters are only being "deleted" because people don't read the messages saying the cloud servers are down. The people flip sh*t saying their character is gone but in reality if they just retry the servers they'd get it in 2 minutes. They're impatient, create a new character because of god knows why, and lose their old one.

Some people are STUPID.

Thank you for trying to straighten things out though OP, everyone should read your post.

nope, you´re mistaken.... lost my lvl 29 yesterday, created another one in slot#2 and it didn´t come back - new toon is 17 again.

Bank account stays. 710k in it, hehe ^^ Noobstar kiss my *ss

disposeablehero
  • disposeablehero

Hustler

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

Man some of you are simply dumb. Sometimes it will come back, but none ofthese steps help, sometimes your char just totally gets deleted.  I never created another char, still gone.

Again, this is simply luck,. this does not work. I know many people who have lost characters and this all applies to them, It's nit us, it's rockstar Gmimp/

Shpongled
  • Shpongled

Psychedelelicable

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

Man some of you are simply dumb. Sometimes it will come back, but none ofthese steps help, sometimes your char just totally gets deleted.  I never created another char, still gone.

Again, this is simply luck,. this does not work. I know many people who have lost characters and this all applies to them, It's nit us, it's rockstar Gmimp/

Yes, you're right, trying to help you WAS simply dumb of me.  How stupid I must be...  :panic:

Miraza247
  • Miraza247

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

My character on social is gone now.... Was my main then a chick now nothing

Miraza247
  • Miraza247

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

I made a new character in slot 2 in hopes my main comes back from hades

disposeablehero
  • disposeablehero

Hustler

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

Yes, you're right, trying to help you WAS simply dumb of me.  How stupid I must be...  :panic:

You're not helping you're spreading mis-information and BS.

Shpongled
  • Shpongled

Psychedelelicable

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

No I'm not.  I'm spreading what worked for me.  YOU'RE not helping whatsoever.  

disposeablehero
  • disposeablehero

Hustler

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:53 PM

It had nothing to do with you, you got lucky the cloud servers still had your character.............What you did was totally irrelevant. You got lucky, nothing more. It happened to me twice, frist time my char came back, second time, never did.

Cynicc
  • Cynicc

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

I got kicked off of online to download the latest patch on Friday in the middle of a survival mission and I haven't been able to get back on my character since. I only had a character in slot 2, but for some reason it shows slot 1 and 2 as available (empty) with stats showing on the slot 1 (starting stats it seems). Here is what I see in my social club:

gtao1_zps3d12d5e0.jpg

gtao2_zpsb76657b5.jpg

Figured I would post this to see if anyone else had the same problem and if they were able to get their character back. It's been 2 days now, so I'm tempted to just start a new character.

• Darkly90 likes this

Shpongled
  • Shpongled

Psychedelelicable

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

It had nothing to do with you, you got lucky the cloud servers still had your character.............What you did was totally irrelevant. You got lucky, nothing more. It happened to me twice, frist time my char came back, second time, never did.

Since you're so knowledgeable on the subject, tell us how it works then.

ThatGr
  • ThatGr

Pimp

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

f*ck i made a new one

oh well, he looks better but the only thing i'm pissed about is losing $50k

blk95ta
  • blk95ta

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:58 PM

Rockstar's message to all of our deleted characters

Shpongled
  • Shpongled

Psychedelelicable

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

Updated OP.  My character HAS returned.  

DO NOT hit "retry" if you fail to connect online, Rockstar has stated this may delete your character.  

smokey__
  • smokey__

High Hopes

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

I always exited GTA O using the start menu. I was so careful with everything and still my guy gets deleted. :panic:

Same here and also save SP again.
My character doesn't show up in the game but I can view his profile on Social Club.

This is currently what I'm experiencing too.  I can see all my character info on Social Club but going to play online just shows the character creation screen.  Guess we'll have to be patient and see what happens. :/

ROFL so now you are saying that your character is in fact gone,  quit trolling kid.

Shpongled
  • Shpongled

Psychedelelicable

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

I always exited GTA O using the start menu. I was so careful with everything and still my guy gets deleted. :panic:

Same here and also save SP again.
My character doesn't show up in the game but I can view his profile on Social Club.

This is currently what I'm experiencing too.  I can see all my character info on Social Club but going to play online just shows the character creation screen.  Guess we'll have to be patient and see what happens. :/

ROFL so now you are saying that your character is in fact gone,  quit trolling kid.

Can you read?  Or do you just selectively choose posts to read?  How about you try again?

Read every post from the beginning if you can't understand, go back to school.  I'm not gonna even dignify the "trolling" comment when I've been explicitly clear.

craMeh
  • craMeh

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

just made a new character <3 oh cloud is down <3 nice

scrublord
  • scrublord

Certified Fresh

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:55 PM

My first character that was in my first slot has been gone for nearly a week now. Lol and I just lost my second guy that I progressed even farther on.

Shpongled
  • Shpongled

Psychedelelicable

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:58 PM

My first character that was in my first slot has been gone for nearly a week now. Lol and I just lost my second guy that I progressed even farther on.

Are you absolutely confident you didn't do anything you "weren't supposed to" do?  I know that it's stupid that you have to tiptoe on eggshells to keep your character, but that's Rockstar for you.  If you did in fact do everything exactly as I have written, then did you notice anything weird or out of the ordinary before it happened?  I'd like to figure out what the missing piece of this puzzle is because it seems some people are just losing their characters with no explanation in sight.  Thanks.

MK3Blackhound
  • MK3Blackhound

prospect

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

Are you absolutely confident you didn't do anything you "weren't supposed to" do?  I know that it's stupid that you have to tiptoe on eggshells to keep your character, but that's Rockstar for you.  If you did in fact do everything exactly as I have written, then did you notice anything weird or out of the ordinary before it happened?  I'd like to figure out what the missing piece of this puzzle is because it seems some people are just losing their characters with no explanation in sight.  Thanks.

now youre getting it

iiiQoo
  • iiiQoo

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:11 PM

I tried to reconnect when the cloud was offline. How the f*ck should i know that this can delete my Character? And now its my fault? This is a joke

Shpongled
  • Shpongled

Psychedelelicable

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:11 PM Edited by Shpongled, 07 October 2013 - 04:12 PM.

now youre getting it

Getting what?  That some people's troubles are more complex?  I won't deny anybody's experience but I have NOT had that experience AT ALL.  Not to discount others' experiences but since I don't know what they may or may not have done, it's hard for me to be certain they didn't do something themselves.  But I'm not here to judge, only to help.

I did edit my post 15 minutes after posting yesterday to include some of what people were saying.  I hope that people will realize I am trying to gather and provide information that has helped me and a few other people.  Not everybody seems to have had the same experience but if we work together we can start to identify trends.  So far, my method has worked for me over the course of several days and losing my character several times.  I hope it helps some other people too.

I tried to reconnect when the cloud was offline. How the f*ck should i know that this can delete my Character? And now its my fault? This is a joke

That is why I made this thread.  To help bring some awareness to it.  I'm sorry that happened, and I don't blame you for being upset.

kray-zie
  • kray-zie

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:19 PM Edited by kray-zie, 07 October 2013 - 04:20 PM.

I clicked on retry (when i now know i shouldn't have), hours before R* posted about it. I'm gonna wait a little longer.

Anyway, the OP is doing something good here, he is TRYING to pinpoint the possible source of this annoying problem. We should contribute and hope to discover something even though it might prob be something completely random.

Shpongled
  • Shpongled

Psychedelelicable

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

I clicked on retry (when i now know i shouldn't have), hours before R* posted about it. I'm gonna wait a little longer.

Anyway, the OP is doing something good here, he is TRYING to pinpoint the possible source of this annoying problem. We should contribute and hope to discover something even though it might prob be something completely random.

I appreciate the support.  I don't know how far we will get by investigating, but it's better than sitting around and bitching like half the forum does.  I know this stuff has worked for me, it's bound to work for SOMEONE else out there.  And for those who it doesn't work for, let's find out a way to get things working for you guys too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users