» «
Photo

If You Lose Your Character, Don't Panic, Do This

88 replies to this topic
Shpongled
  • Shpongled

Psychedelelicable

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:22 PM Edited by Shpongled, 07 October 2013 - 03:28 PM.

If you lose your character, do not worry, it will be back if you make sure to handle it in this way.

DO NOT make a new character.  This will overwrite your last one.

Basically your character is gone when the cloud goes down.  It will be back, just be patient.

Also, DO NOT hit "Retry" when you fail to connect online.  Rockstar has explicitly stated that this may delete your character.

If you are playing and suddenly everybody in the rooms leaves at once, the cloud went down.  Sometimes you will still be able to play, but know that whatever you do will not be saved.  

If you want to make sure everything is saved, then logout to GTAV every time you want to get offline by using the start menu.

Basically, the gist of this is:  Don't overwrite your character slot and don't hit retry when it fails to load online.  You will be sorry.

Sucks, but that's how it is.  Rockstar has some sh*t to work out.

edit:

That doesnt work for everyone OP. I never made a new character, I stopped playing yesterday when I noticed the cloud went down and I got timed out of a session...I come back about 8 hours later late in the evening...everything is up and running and my character is completely gone...I checked this morning as well, still gone.

I guess take from it what you will.

Has worked for me several times now, but I really do feel for all you that it hasn't worked for.

If this doesn't work for you, maybe you can kindly let us know what exactly you have done and what has worked and what hasn't worked.

Pissed off comments don't help clarify the situation, they just muddy the waters even more.  So if this didn't work for you, please explain to us EXACTLY what steps you took when you realized it was missing.  If you made another character in slot 1 or 2, if you backed out etc.  It will help us to better understand the situation.

edit 10/07/13: For anybody curious if this worked for me since I posted this and lost my character, YES, it DID work for me.  My character was available last night when I got home and that's the third time this has happened so I am very confident in this method working.  But you have to be careful.  Those who said it doesn't work, either you got really unlucky from something we don't understand yet, or you hit "retry" or you overwrote a slot etc.  Seriously, I'm sick of debating this with people, THIS HAS WORKED FOR ME 3 TIMES NOW.
  • manutd36 and weaver76 like this

JoeB
  • JoeB

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

Im glad Social Club is up, makes me feel safer when I can't find my bastard of a character.

Masochron
  • Masochron

What Lies Below

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

I think this works, but only if your guy was saved to the cloud to begin with. I'm thinking my guy is still out there in the ether somewhere, I hope. Rank still shows up.

Xavier Horovitz
  • Xavier Horovitz

Yolo Swaggins

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

I made a character in slot 2. Am I safe?

Shpongled
  • Shpongled

Psychedelelicable

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

I have not tested this, but I would assume you are safe.  It wouldn't make sense that it would overwrite your slot 1 with slot 2.  Let us know if you get your character back please. :)

FATSTOGIE
  • FATSTOGIE

Prankster

• Members

My money is still there.  It happened before and i got him back.  But yea if you wanna play use slot 2.  Dont overwrite slot 1.  But at this point im sick of doing the same missions.  So if my guy doesnt come back ill probably wait to start playing again.

kopkiller666
  • kopkiller666

I kill Police Officers

• Members

I've been getting lucky&having money tossed at me. I buy stuff like apartment&it refunds me when I re log&I still have my $$$ while keeping the apartment. No deletions no rollbacks nothing.

Shpongled
  • Shpongled

Psychedelelicable

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

I've been getting lucky&having money tossed at me. I buy stuff like apartment&it refunds me when I re log&I still have my $$$ while keeping the apartment. No deletions no rollbacks nothing.

Wow that's awesome!

dewan2000
  • dewan2000

Hustler

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

That doesnt work for everyone OP. I never made a new character, I stopped playing yesterday when I noticed the cloud went down and I got timed out of a session...I come back about 8 hours later late in the evening...everything is up and running and my character is completely gone...I checked this morning as well, still gone.

VWOer
  • VWOer

Player Hater

• Members

I am afraid not, as my first character (pre-patch 2) had disappeared and hasn't reappeared since I started another character in slot 2. Poor bastard is still somewhere in the cloud, totally lost and deserted..

sportsvcd
  • sportsvcd

Player Hater

• Members

Im glad Social Club is up, makes me feel safer when I can't find my bastard of a character.

wish i could say the same, its showing as no char on the rockstar social club site

bloody furious

TheIllaDopest
  • TheIllaDopest

The Blunt Master Messiah

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:28 PM

just use another profile in the meantime

BioVirus
  • BioVirus

The Godfather

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:28 PM

Once again, stop blaming the players.

I have not created a single character or played a single second of GTAO and yet my character is still missing.

So no, cloud isn't going to bring back our characters magically. Mine has been missing for 30 hours.

• FeelsBatman likes this

Shpongled
  • Shpongled

Psychedelelicable

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:28 PM Edited by Shpongled, 06 October 2013 - 06:29 PM.

Hm interesting, OK, guess it's not so cut and dry then.  Seems some mystical stuff is going on.

I've had this happen a few times now and my character has come back each time.  I'll add that to the OP.

Once again, stop blaming the players.

I have not created a single character or played a single second of GTAO and yet my character is still missing.

So no, cloud isn't going to bring back our characters magically. Mine has been missing for 30 hours.

Well I'm not blaming anybody.  I'm just saying what has worked several times for me.  Sorry it didn't work for you.  And a character coming back to the cloud isn't "magic" it's just how the cloud works.

Masochron
  • Masochron

What Lies Below

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:29 PM

Looks like some people just got the ***t end of the stick :(

Clueless Muffin
  • Clueless Muffin

Previously named Rockwheels.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:29 PM Edited by Rockwheels, 06 October 2013 - 06:31 PM.

wish i could say the same, its showing as no char on the rockstar social club site

bloody furious
Same here. My money for the story characters keeps updating so idk what the hell to do

EDIT: looks likes servers are down now. Good lord just what we needed

SkidRowTrash
  • SkidRowTrash

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:31 PM

No sir you are screwed. I made a character in slot 2 after the patch release and server crash yesterday. After the cloud went up, I had no characters (Still money in the bank though).

I had to remake from level 1. 2 Open empty slots.

LillyOfTheValley
  • LillyOfTheValley

Prankster

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

Is it a fact that if your character doesn't show up on your social club account, it's gone for good? 

Shpongled
  • Shpongled

Psychedelelicable

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

Is it a fact that if your character doesn't show up on your social club account, it's gone for good? 

I'm not sure how to even check your character on the Social Club site to be quite honest.  I click on "GTA Online" in the Social Club tabs and it brings two more sub-tabs called "Jobs" and "Playlists."  Where do you see your character?  I will do some experimenting and see what I can figure out.

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:37 PM Edited by Zwenkwiel, 06 October 2013 - 06:37 PM.

wtf, i'm having the exact opposite. all the money is spent but the stuff I bought is gone

you Lucky bastard, what's your GT? cuz you deserver a good bounty or 2 XD

FeelsBatman
  • FeelsBatman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

The character will never be back.

Or is there ANYONE who got a lost character back?

LillyOfTheValley
  • LillyOfTheValley

Prankster

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:38 PM

I'm not sure how to even check your character on the Social Club site to be quite honest.  I click on "GTA Online" in the Social Club tabs and it brings two more sub-tabs called "Jobs" and "Playlists."  Where do you see your character?  I will do some experimenting and see what I can figure out.

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com

Shpongled
  • Shpongled

Psychedelelicable

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

That's what this thread was made about.  My character has come back about 2 or 3 times now.  The first time I was real pissed but I realized if I don't mess with sh*t, he comes back after a while.  Apparently some people haven't been so lucky, but I don't know the circumstances of their situation so it's hard to compare what does or doesn't make the character come back or not.

ImpotentRage
  • ImpotentRage

Judgemental Hypocrite

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

Not that I've seen.

MyLittlePony
  • MyLittlePony

Crew: Ponyville

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:42 PM

Not believing OP till there's proof.

SO many claim this works but this hasn't worked for me once and I've tried multiple times. Max waiting 3-4 days and still no account return.

Stop reposting lies, OP.

I also saved the correct way that R* said to save last night when the cloud servers were up and now when I go to online my character is gone, again, and my old one still has not returned.

• FeelsBatman likes this

FeelsBatman
  • FeelsBatman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:43 PM

SO many claim this works but this hasn't worked for me once and I've tried multiple times. Max waiting 3-4 days and still no account return.

Stop reposting lies, OP.

I also saved the correct way that R* said to save last night when the cloud servers were up and now when I go to online my character is gone, again, and my old one still has not returned.

Same here

Xavier Horovitz
  • Xavier Horovitz

Yolo Swaggins

• Members

No sir you are screwed. I made a character in slot 2 after the patch release and server crash yesterday. After the cloud went up, I had no characters (Still money in the bank though).

I had to remake from level 1. 2 Open empty slots.

My character hadn't come back after 12 hours and the cloud coming back up before I made the new one. I think it's safe to say that they aren't quite related. Making a slot 2 character won't affect me. If the character was ever going to come back, it'll still come back.

Shpongled
  • Shpongled

Psychedelelicable

• Members

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com

Oh it was under "Career" with the single player characters.  Thanks.  I'll monitor this and see if I notice any trends.

Stop reposting lies, OP.

Lol.  

That's the only response I can dignify this with.  Don't believe me, have fun with that.

PhilJones
  • PhilJones

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:44 PM

This has never worked for me...

fazedjb2v2
  • fazedjb2v2

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

I lost my first lv 10 chr with 30k and that was bad enuff, i feel for those that have lost more. (ps3)

I felt i lost it by trying to log in when the cloud was down, i was put into the create screen then backed out without making anything. iirc i saw the game save icon spinning just before it exited. next time i tried online it put me straight to create screen. maybe it saved it as "empty" then updated that to cloud when it comes back?

My 2nd created chr (slot 2 in the hope that slot 1 would reappear) got to lv13 yesterday then when my friends got dropped from the mission (cloud went down) I quit to single player, and stayed clear of online if baswaq(cloud) was down in single player. Logged in this morning and he was still there with all his $$, thank goodness.

I'm gonna steer clear now and won't even try and access online if bawsaq is down, I'm hoping this has SOMETHING to do with why some people lose their sh*t.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users