Photo

This game is completely unrewarding

71 replies to this topic
Ozma324
  • Ozma324

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

I was really hoping for R* to learn there lesson from GTAIV it seemed like they did for RDR. However thats not the case because whatever I do in this game all of that hard work it was hardly for nothing. To me this a huge step backwards.

What exactly am I talking about? REWARDS. The other GTA games always did a great job with this. No matter what Im doing I always got rewarded for even the smallest things. V however takes most of this away. I hardly get any money during missions not even a cool mission complete music cue. Something even tiny as that is rewarding as well. The only two efficient ways to make any kind of money in V is through the heists (which there is not enough by the way) and the stock market. Seriously the stock market? Sure you give us all this cool side content and what does it give us? Hardly anything because once you know how to exploit the stock market it makes all this content meaningless. Content that has no weight, no strength, no motivation to press on. All because of this stupidly broken stock market. Instead making money in this game just becomes busy work. This is not fun R* this is BORING. You have all this cool side content and for what?

To further prove my point lets take a look at collectibles. I dont know about you, but I hate finding any sort of collectible in a game. Certainly when it amounts to nothing. I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to have 99/100 packages and you just cant seem to find that last one, but once you do man it feels so satisfying. Why because Im constantly getting rewarded for it. If Im going to itch the games back the game better itch mine. What do I get for finding all those space ship parts? A stupid buggy that makes cool alien noises. So what? My modded out sports car that I probably spent $100k on is going to serve me better. Oh wait I also get an achievement! OMG I so dont f*cking care! Lets compare this to Vice City. For every 10 of the of 100 packages that you find. Something cool will spawn in front of your safe house. 10 will get you body armor, 20 a chainsaw, 30, a colt python, 40 a flamethrower, 50, a PSG-1 sniper and so on. What would you rather have? Those letter scarps in V? Hardly gives me anything. Nuclear waste? Nothing. Flying under every bridge? Nothing. 100% completion? A stupid t-shirt an achievement oh and I also get to look at a UFO! Which I cant even interact with!

Not even hanging out with your friends brings any benefits. Look I know bowling with Roman sucks believe me, but at the very least if he liked you enough you could call him up for a free cab. Dwaynes benefit was that he will sent a few of his guys to help Niko out if he was in a pickle. V? I dont get anything. Whats the point? Character development? Please.

Again to hammer in my point even more, unique stunt jumps are the same way. Not only do you have to be quite specific with your jumps along with the landing. Again you dont get anything. In Vice City I will get $100 for every stunt jump that I do and it will basically add another $100 for another one you do. Even if you fail it the game will provide with some pocket change. Basically saying. "You know what you tried heres a little something." V hardly throws you a bone for anything you that you do.

Really I can go on and on about this, but I cannot stress enough on how unrewarding this game really is. Its this reason (along with other reasons) but mostly this reason. Its a game that gives me no motivation to press on. Its content just for the sake of having it. Just for the sake of having the player something to do. How did I feel once I completed V? Happy? No. Sad? Angry? No, more like a completely empty feeling. Like "thats it?"

GTAIII, Vice City, San Andreas and dare I say it even IV all have smaller worlds, less content, outdated graphics and completely outdated gameplay mechanics. There is a difference though. Whenever I go back to those games. There fun, not only fun, but rewarding. 

I give R* all the credit in the world for working their asses off on creating this beautiful insanely detailed open world. Whats the use of it anyway if your not going to motivate me to play your game? I been playing your GTA games for years. They are some of the very best I have ever played. Hell they define what a sandbox is for me. Now after all this you give me GTA V a game which hardly throws me a bone. I just dont understand.

This is probably the main reason why I honestly think V is one of the worst in the series. If you like it, cool Im not going to stop you. Like what you like. I just wanted to get out there why this game is such a massive disappointment for me, I know Im in a very small minority, but I hope some people will recognize this.

• Zee, Tycek, Deadly Target and 12 others like this

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Drunken Cowboy hit the throttle harder than the rest o

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Biggest Fanboy 2014
    Worst Fanboy 2013
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:17 PM

I personally think R* should've left friends out altogether. Yeah I get it wasn't well liked in GTA IV, but it has no point at all in GTA V.

That's probably one of my main gripes with GTA V actually. It was something I liked in GTA IV, but it feels R* were trying to please both sides of the coin when it would've been better off being left out if it was going to be that toned down.

The perks in GTA IV came in handy which is why in liked to do them and of course listening to conversations between them.

However in general I get what you're saying. It seems trophies/achievements have taken place over material rewards these days.

Ozma324
  • Ozma324

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:22 PM

Good point. You cant have it both ways I guess. Its either your all in or your out.

Miamivicecity
  • Miamivicecity

Drunken Cowboy hit the throttle harder than the rest o

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Biggest Fanboy 2014
    Worst Fanboy 2013
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

Good point. You cant have it both ways I guess. Its either your all in or your out.

It could've been like EFLC where you wouldn't get the so called "constant" phone calls and a like/respect stat.

On top of that you don't really meet anyone new to be friends with. Only Lamar and Jimmy it seems and I know Michael, Trevor and Franklin can all hang out with each other. It's still a far cry from the people you become friends with in GTA IV though.

It's so half assed I wish R* never bothered. The way GTA IV done it wasn't perfect, but it had potential and it was rewarding in a way.
  • Official General and TheKillerDonuts like this

Ozma324
  • Ozma324

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

Lamar ALMOST made it seem worth it. Just to hear what he says. He was hilarious. Its a big stretch I know, but he has become one of my favorite characters in GTA.

• RyderNotThisAgain likes this

Sylis.coyl
  • Sylis.coyl

GT: Preparation G

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

You think the collectibles in this game are a pain? What about those pigeons? And I don't know about you but I felt very rewarded after completing the story because during all the missions you did pro bono you were supposed to feel cheated as you were being used, Rockstar's way of making that player-character connection.

Ozma324
  • Ozma324

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

At least the pigeons gave you the Annihilator heli if I remember correctly.

GarrowsKai
  • GarrowsKai

I don't even like Dubstep

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

What are you?  A child who needs to be constantly rewarded for doing the slightest little thing?  So you don't get money for doing each stunt jump or whatever, can't you just enjoy those things for the sake of doing them?

Ozma324
  • Ozma324

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

I dont need to be constantly rewarded for everything that I do. At the very least throw me a bone every once in awhile. V hardly does this.

Sylis.coyl
  • Sylis.coyl

GT: Preparation G

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:39 PM

That was by no means worth the madness of hunting those two hundred flying rats. I still have nightmares with bold white text of 199 pigeons killed and I'm unable to find the last one
  • Deadly Target likes this

Ozma324
  • Ozma324

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

That was by no means worth the madness of hunting those two hundred flying rats. I still have nightmares with bold white text of 199 pigeons killed and I'm unable to find the last one

Well its like I said in the beginning of my OP. IV is kind of the same way. So I get where your coming from :)

PolishPrisoner
  • PolishPrisoner

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

I do agree that in certain respects the missions can be unrewarding.  The sub mission with Trevor, and most of the FIB missions, make you shake your head like wtf afterwards.  There really are few to no rewards for completing those missions.  And I know that a lot of the early missions and plot building missions are not going to reward you monetarily, and those are fine, but some missions that go unrewarded in this game are significantly time consuming...on the order of complete heists.   What was the purpose of Trevor's sub mission not working out?  It should have been treated like a regular heist that you get paid for.  It just didn't really fit in with the plot.  Anyway, those are just small things in the grand scheme of the game.  On my second play through, I am appreciating the storyline more.  If I were to design the game I might have done a few things differently, but overall it is a very fun experience.   

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

I couldn't agree with the op more. So many things that you have to do in the game leave you feeling completely empty. Just an exercise of futility and doing them just for the sake of doing them to get the 100% stat.

• TheKillerDonuts likes this

King Kapone
  • King Kapone

x N i g h t c a l l

• The Connection

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

Vice City was definitely the most rewarding GTA installment. Hopefully next gen GTA returns more to its roots with its classic reward system, and hey maybe even bring back the reputation system from 2. With the direction they went with IV and V, it wouldn't hurt to return to what made the company really take off. A little less realism, a little more debauchery.

Just don't get too Saints Rowish about it either. Need to find the balance.

• B Dawg likes this

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:48 PM

opinions are like assholes XD

anyway I didn't like RDR that much, way too much horse riding

Whacks Tadpole
  • Whacks Tadpole

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

TL;DR

NightSpectre
  • NightSpectre

Pure Heroine

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:49 PM

TL;DR

You know, when you say that you make yourself like a complete retard who has no idea how to read past two sentences.

Just putting that out there.

• namor likes this

namor
  • namor

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:28 PM

opinions are like assholes XD

anyway I didn't like RDR that much, way too much horse riding

Buying a game set in the old west and not expecting to spend a lot of time on a horse is akin to buying GTA and expecting not to spend much time driving a vehicle

• TheKillerDonuts and RPhilMan1 like this

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

As ancient astronaut theorists predicted.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • US-Virgin-Islands

Posted 06 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

I spent $60 to watch a horse's butt for 100+ hours??? LOL WTF?!? But seriously can't say I've gotten very far in the game, but can atleast appreciate the OP for laying it out in a clear fashion. Don't let the TL;DR knuckle dragging crowd get ya down.

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

I personally think R* should've left friends out altogether. Yeah I get it wasn't well liked in GTA IV, but it has no point at all in GTA V.

There is a point to the friend system: listening to the conversations, finding out little bits of backstory. 

• D-N-A likes this

Ozma324
  • Ozma324

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:04 PM Edited by Ozma324, 06 October 2013 - 09:05 PM.

I do agree that in certain respects the missions can be unrewarding.  The sub mission with Trevor, and most of the FIB missions, make you shake your head like wtf afterwards.  There really are few to no rewards for completing those missions.  And I know that a lot of the early missions and plot building missions are not going to reward you monetarily, and those are fine, but some missions that go unrewarded in this game are significantly time consuming...on the order of complete heists.   What was the purpose of Trevor's sub mission not working out?  It should have been treated like a regular heist that you get paid for.  It just didn't really fit in with the plot.  Anyway, those are just small things in the grand scheme of the game.  On my second play through, I am appreciating the storyline more.  If I were to design the game I might have done a few things differently, but overall it is a very fun experience.   

I certainly did have fun with this game. It gets a lot right. I would be lying in saying that option c at the end did not satisfy me.

CrazyVRN
  • CrazyVRN

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

There's always yoga.

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:29 PM Edited by Zwenkwiel, 06 October 2013 - 09:30 PM.

There is a point to the friend system: listening to the conversations, finding out little bits of backstory. 

shame they're so boring though

pick the guy up, drive somewhere drive back, that's it.

the dialogue is nice and there's certainly a lot of it

but I feel like I'm missing stuff if I don't go hang out with every1 every other mission or something. (which I don't)

just wish they'd incorporated it into the overall experience a bit better

or at least make them more interesting with like random events exclusive to hanging out or something

StangOne50
  • StangOne50

BEAST

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

I also agree with the OP .

If there really is no JetPack then what is there ?

If you really cant use the UFOs then what is there ?

If there is one of these 2 things obviously R* has made it extremely difficult to find .

I beat the game tried the activities caused some ruckus and now im just easter egg hunting but getting very bored of it .

BettyBlueGT
  • BettyBlueGT

Thug

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:39 PM

When I first completed the game I got all the letter scraps and completed that side quest. Second time around I didn't complete any of that crap and won't. Just no fun to finding 50  of the letters and alien parts for a trophy and thats about it. 

Revoemag
  • Revoemag

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:50 AM

I like the potential of the game but I do agree with lots of your points OP.

rrocks
  • rrocks

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:58 AM Edited by rrocks, 07 October 2013 - 02:01 AM.

It's called grinding with no rewards. It's like hunting boars or some sh*t in wow or some other RPG game and not getting any xp for doing it. All this stuff has been replaced with lame ass trophies so underappreciated kids can brag to their parents or facebook friends that you "accomplished something", besides going outside once a month. That's all there is to it and more and more games are doing this and getting away with it. We don't have to give you sh*t because there are people still out there (and some of these replies prove it) that like nothing more than completing repeitive tasks with no rewards because it calms their undiagnosed ADHD and OCD disorders they have. Rockstar said "f*ck you" we don't have to give you anything for doing all of this grinding, because we know you will do it anyway, and if you don't do it...your "friend" will bully you into doing it by rubbing in the fact that he has "100%" and you don't.

I agree with you 100%, what's the f*cking point, at the end of the day, there is no other point than bragging rights that do nothing more than prove that you are one worthless c*nt with no life, that has the time to sit around and collect ever single collectible in game (for no reward) while the rest of the world is actually living. We don't need our hand held, but it's like Mario Bros., imagine if all those coins did nothing in game...you just got them and it counted them...what would be the point? They have a score system already, don't really need those coins at that point, right?

Some of the people here are complete dicks about this, but if there is something that they WANT you to do in the game (and before some of you lame fan boys say sh*t, they wouldn't have put it in if they didn't want you to do it) they should reward you for doing it. But lets be honest with ourselves here, this is only one of the 100's of things wrong with GTA V.

• Zee and TheKillerDonuts like this

ollybadger
  • ollybadger

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:02 AM

You do get a lot of cool perks when you level up...Lester has loads of unlockable stuff...bounties, calling off cops, summoning a helicopter etc etc, plus the merryweather guys give you cool stuff too (airstrikes for example)

ollybadger
  • ollybadger

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:03 AM

edit: sorry im talking about online, didn't read the thread properly, my bad

Ozma324
  • Ozma324

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:10 PM

It's called grinding with no rewards. It's like hunting boars or some sh*t in wow or some other RPG game and not getting any xp for doing it. All this stuff has been replaced with lame ass trophies so underappreciated kids can brag to their parents or facebook friends that you "accomplished something", besides going outside once a month. That's all there is to it and more and more games are doing this and getting away with it. We don't have to give you sh*t because there are people still out there (and some of these replies prove it) that like nothing more than completing repeitive tasks with no rewards because it calms their undiagnosed ADHD and OCD disorders they have. Rockstar said "f*ck you" we don't have to give you anything for doing all of this grinding, because we know you will do it anyway, and if you don't do it...your "friend" will bully you into doing it by rubbing in the fact that he has "100%" and you don't.

I agree with you 100%, what's the f*cking point, at the end of the day, there is no other point than bragging rights that do nothing more than prove that you are one worthless c*nt with no life, that has the time to sit around and collect ever single collectible in game (for no reward) while the rest of the world is actually living. We don't need our hand held, but it's like Mario Bros., imagine if all those coins did nothing in game...you just got them and it counted them...what would be the point? They have a score system already, don't really need those coins at that point, right?

Some of the people here are complete dicks about this, but if there is something that they WANT you to do in the game (and before some of you lame fan boys say sh*t, they wouldn't have put it in if they didn't want you to do it) they should reward you for doing it. But lets be honest with ourselves here, this is only one of the 100's of things wrong with GTA V.

I am noticing this with a lot of games this gen. Completing stuff just for an achievement and it needs to stop.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users