» «
Photo

The Police are far too overpowered

212 replies to this topic
Jagblade
  • Jagblade

Counterfeiter

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:51 AM Edited by Jagblade, 06 October 2013 - 12:53 AM.

My issues with the police are situation based.

You rob a store you've been to enough times, you get four stars, they SWARM the building. And because they're dead-eye accurate there is no escape.

Any other time, two stars even, watch your GPS as you drive. Police cruisers WILL just spawn on the road a few dozen meters ahead of you when there was previously nothing. Police always seem to know where you are as well. I've outrun them by several blocks and pulled into a parking building. Like clockwork, they all randomly converge on that building and start to search it.

Police know I'm in a stolen vehicle even if I find it unattended out in the middle of nowhere or if I kill any witnesses nearby. Just how many black SUVs are there in Los Santos? How did they know THIS was the exact vehicle? Did they read the license plate, run it through the system, and then verify it in three seconds all while I was speeding down the road and swerving?

Police Choppers show up way too quickly, and are too hard to avoid. Hide under an overpass? Too bad the cruisers already know where you are. Outrun the cruisers? Can't outrun the chopper because it can see across several blocks. Not to mention it has snipers on either side that can peg you regardless of whether or not the chopper is turning or moving.

TBH I preferred the police in GTA IV. They behaved much better and were perfectly balanced. Just accurate enough, not too punishing, but they weren't a cake walk either.

As it stands, you can't have a stand off with the police because there are so many that respond so quickly and are dead eye accurate. They can be outrun, but only on certain occasions. They need to be scaled down, especially their accuracy and tendency to spawn randomly down the road ahead of you or on the sidewalk beside you.

• glass pipe likes this

Pinnkiepie
  • Pinnkiepie

PIE

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:52 AM

Just in real life, they are overpowered :D

iShootxWMP
  • iShootxWMP

Gamertag = I Shoot xWMP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:53 AM

OP cops are OP

ajma420
  • ajma420

High Roller

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:54 AM Edited by ajma420, 06 October 2013 - 01:01 AM.

AI in general are extremely good - better than me and most other players because I could never do this sh*t. Cops ALWAYS know exactly where I am hiding, and all the AI seem to pull off insane shots and shoot perfectly through car windows, walls, and at tires. I honestly like the challenge that the non-cop AI present, but I cannot stand the cops. They spawn right in front of you when you try to escape, they can catch up with an Adder, and worst of all, any glancing blow will send you into a 1080 degree spin, after which, 6 cops open fire and kill you. Vehicle chases are usually short lived, but my friends and I have had some pretty insane holdouts on a moving train.

bongoclock
  • bongoclock

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:54 AM

To help with cop cars, let off the accelerator as they hit you and hit it just after they make contact, Car should wiggle a little if you're going in a straight line but you should be ok if the tyres are on flat tarmac. (Hit a curb and you might spin out, drains also seem to be a different surface {Ones that spark if you shoot them}) 

But yeah... I mean how do the cops catch up? I mean driving in a cop car full speed... and they catch up and speed up to go faster than you? In the exact same car?

They slip streaming you. A car following you in a straight line is going to move faster than you. Even if the exact same car. Your car is breaking all the air, they just following you through the hole you are making. Which they have more overall power.

As for the cops stuff, I think Stealth needs to be adjusted more than the Cops. I don't find cops an issue, they die quick, and are easily lost, even choppers. But I think if I kill someone with a silenced weapon, unless someone sees me do it, isn't that the point of silencers.

That being said 1 star seems to not be a problem if someone drops dead in the street or in view of others, they will call 911, when the cops show, they come to that place and look around, not specifically for you because they don't know it was you, unless they see you...then you get a second star and become a suspect. They will attempt to detain you within their limits, if you kill them you become wanted, and helicopters will pursue you, shoot some helicopters you become a Criminal at Large and agents come to you and helicopters will shoot you and spawn troops. Kill even more and you become a National Security threat and the Military enters the equation.

The escalation isn't bad, it just seems that the Stealh Factor is way off.

• dyspoid likes this

namenotneeded2
  • namenotneeded2

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:55 AM

It's good that they are more cooperative now, trying to PIT you and close you in an area. Still, it doesn't explain that they have access to some sort of 24/7 UAV that records anyone who does something wrong, no matter where they are.

MSC--90
  • MSC--90

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:03 AM Edited by MSC--90, 06 October 2013 - 01:05 AM.

I robbed a store near Paleto Bay and the cops were chasing me back towards Los Santos,Then I got rear ended near the tunnel which goes under Fort Zancudo onto the beach, then down a road next to the fort. Then the big boys came out to play. Not only did I have cop cars/choppers after me but f*king Merryweather too. At no point did I go into the damn fort.

I managed to evade them at Fort Zancudo but they followed me all the way to LS and eventually killed me with help from the police. In a chase that lasted nearly 30 mins, every time I thought I'd got away from the Police, some Merryweather tosser would come up and I'd have to move then the choppers/cars would find me again. It was intense but got annoying after a while. 

withonion
  • withonion

Playa

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:07 AM

Let's not forget the warp drives that seem to come standard on all police cruisers and enable them to rear end a fully upgraded Bugatti Veyron going full speed on a straight stretch airport runway. 

Speaking of cars, f*ck these NPC drivers. In IV if you hit a car they'd swerve and stop driving for a second to either get out or sit there and then drive off. Not completely realistic or anything, but still easier to deal with than these AI douchebags who will dart into your lane and then play bumper cars at 80 mph and send you into a chunk of wall.

I can confirm the cops are Op (overpowered).  Get a 3 star wanted  level, grab one of their cars, drive down a straight flat road and see how the cop car behind you can accelerate and ram your cop car even when you are flat out doing the top speed of the car. That my friends is a definition of OP. They need to sort it out. OP is a very bad thing in a game, it will eventually lead to an impossible imbalance that will drive hoards of people away. 

withonion
  • withonion

Playa

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:11 AM

It's good that they are more cooperative now, trying to PIT you and close you in an area. Still, it doesn't explain that they have access to some sort of 24/7 UAV that records anyone who does something wrong, no matter where they are.

TBH didnt Rockstar mention that almost all the AI will have mobiles and phone in a crime, just like it is these days in real life. But that does not account for being chased up chilliad only to have a cruiser fly over the top and T-bone me off the mountain, WTF, it was going at something close to take off speed... coming from the platform area of the top of the mountain.

Trevor Philips Inc
  • Trevor Philips Inc

Coke abusing, prostitute killing legend.

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:19 AM

No matter what they say there is no logical explination for most of the sh*t the cops do

A.I Have phones? Oh that explains why my mini map is flashing before i've even sat down in the car I jacked in a dusty desert road.

myname2917
  • myname2917

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:25 AM

I completely agree that the cops in GTAO and GTA 5 as well are way overpowered. They have uncanny aim and they are super drivers and the whole ramming the car and shooting people with even one star showing is ridiculous.

Rockstar has really screwed the pooch with this latest GTA in so many ways. If ANY other company released a game with these types of issues they'd be slaughtered from the press and gamers alike but Rockstar mainly gets a pass because of their reputation. It's like they have become Apple of the gaming world, at least with the GTA games. Red Dead Redemption is IMO the greatest game ever made so we shall see how the next one is. Hopefully it will be even better than Redemption and not be a letdown like GTA 5.

Don't get me wrong, from a technical point of view GTA 5 (detail, sheer scope, etc) is a masterpiece (and GTAO has the potential to be one as well since it shares the scope and everything else) but other than that the game is a letdown even if it is still quite fun. Annoying missions, frustrating robocops, lousy dialogue, almost every character is annoying, uninteresting story, lousy radio stations. The most enjoyment I get in GTA 5 right now is from just driving or flying around and taking in the scenery or doing some of the activities like darts or golf. Missions are an annoying chore.

Red Dead Redemption destroys this game when it comes to those things and I don't recall being as frustrated in GTA 4 as I have been in 5. 

• Judicious 7 likes this

stevean2
  • stevean2

Fast As You Can Fap!

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:27 AM

Only recently I've been having troubles with cops and I don't know why. Any attempt to escape no matter the speed of my vehicle leads to them always knowing where I am and trailing me PERFECTLY in a car chase, ramming me up the ass every two seconds.

then the helecopter appears making it impossible to escape and then I'm shot.

hehehayhay
  • hehehayhay

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:30 AM

It's retarded that I get a wanted level for punching some dude in the middle of nowhere, then spend ~1 minute standing there like a moron waiting for my level to go down...

Trevor Philips Inc
  • Trevor Philips Inc

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:40 AM

How do you contact rockstar directly? If enough people sent the same type of E-mail  with the subject being 'police' i'm sure they'd eventually get the point that we don't want to play a version of GTA where your character's being monitored by a satellite and under 24/7 terrorist watch courtesy of the f*cking NSA.

Brb punch man after he shoots me. Cops want me dead

Brb stealthily stab somebody in farm country, marksman takes me out

Brb Cop crashes into me during mission, i'm in a truck. 2 star cop chase ensues

Brb kick an abandoned car, become Americas most wanted.

stevean2
  • stevean2

Fast As You Can Fap!

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:43 AM

How do you contact rockstar directly? If enough people sent the same type of E-mail  with the subject being 'police' i'm sure they'd eventually get the point that we don't want to play a version of GTA where your character's being monitored by a satellite and under 24/7 terrorist watch courtesy of the f*cking NSA.

Brb punch man after he shoots me. Cops want me dead

Brb stealthily stab somebody in farm country, marksman takes me out

Brb Cop crashes into me during mission, i'm in a truck. 2 star cop chase ensues

Brb kick an abandoned car, become Americas most wanted.

[email protected]
[email protected]

AfterDeath
  • AfterDeath

Homie

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:43 AM

Best part is when you steal a car across from a police station, you get one star, you're lucky if you live long enough to hot wire the car and get out of there because the 3 cops standing outside the station eating donuts light your ass up with their navy seal backgrounds in firearm training.

• Peedy V likes this

SimMaster
  • SimMaster

San Andreas Explorer

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:44 AM

The worst part is, when you've found a hiding spot, they STILL come towards you and basically surround you, even though they aren't supposed to know where you're at.

• Peedy V likes this

Trevor Philips Inc
  • Trevor Philips Inc

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:47 AM

Yeah that sucks too

The cops have no idea where you are, then G.I f*cking Joe decides to turn into 4 different alleyways to 'stumble across' you hiding behind a box in the corner. Then whips out his 'gat' and puts 3 rounds into your 1/8th of an inch unshielded part of your skull before you can say 'NSA'

• Peedy V, GarX and A Maned Wolf like this

bloodblossom
  • bloodblossom

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:47 AM Edited by bloodblossom, 06 October 2013 - 01:54 AM.

the only thing that pisses me off about cops is their unlimited speed... makes it impossible to get away by vehicle.. always end up ditching the vehicle cus its much safer trying to get away on foot.

and the higher your wanted level.. the faster they are... really annoying.. you can shake them down an alley and they will be on the other side before you have a chance to make another turn. precision driving and shooting with unlimited speed = OP.

M210F
  • M210F

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:49 AM

If you're on a bike it's much easier to escape, it seems. Even ordinary bikes seem to be able to go offroad pretty well, and it's easy to dodge the cops. I've only had a tire shot out once on a bike, and it's the vehicle I've been using almost exclusively in GTA:O (until it lost my character a few hours ago, at least). I also don't have much trouble getting shot- I'll take a few bullets, but in general it's not a major issue. The only problem is that you can't remove a mask on a bike, for some bizarre reason. I find the police chases much more fun than in IV, because it's challenging at 3+ stars but still do-able- the problem is that it's so easy to become wanted, even when you don't want to be, and how long you spend wanted.

DrSNAFU
  • DrSNAFU

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:49 AM

I think it's a matter of NPCs being too good at drive-bys.  All NPCs seem too accurate when firing while driving while the opposite is the case with the player.

But normally I don't find too much trouble getting away from the cops.  The chopper is harder to evade but if you don't fire at the cops, they don't usually fire back. I don't think they start firing at will until 4 stars or if  you start firing your gun from your car.  I hear masks help reduce your star rating, and the key to generally getting away is not to worry about speed once your out of view, just evading searchers.  Also, NEVER get into a police chase in the Vinewood hills.  Winding roads and blind turns make it night impossible to out-maneuver the extremely agile cops and for some reason cop cars can spawn mere yards away from you and spot you instantly.  Otherwise, hide in the maze of streets in the city or go off-road in the country. 

giraffeboy
  • giraffeboy

Playa

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:56 AM

Best part is when you steal a car across from a police station, you get one star, you're lucky if you live long enough to hot wire the car and get out of there because the 3 cops standing outside the station eating donuts light your ass up with their navy seal backgrounds in firearm training.

Lol, what do you expect to happen when you jack a car in full view of the cops? And to be fair, cops are supposed to be good shots, although maybe not from a helicopter at a car doing over 100mph. I personally prefer these cops to IVs, at least you can't get away by flooring it every time

Chaos-Elite
  • Chaos-Elite

Seeker

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:07 AM Edited by Chaos-Elite, 06 October 2013 - 02:09 AM.

One cop killed me then shouted "Drop the weapon!". I didn't even have a weapon. He probably planted one next to my body...

Anyway, when running from the cops hold select and go to inventory, then if you can get out of their range for a second change mask or glasses. That will remove a star from your wanted level and make evading them easier.

• Peedy V likes this

Varios Los Aztecas
  • Varios Los Aztecas

Soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:10 AM Edited by Varios Los Aztecas, 06 October 2013 - 02:14 AM.

I agree that they should recognize self-defence, and that they should only respond to a crime should a witness be able to report it....but I don't think their accuracy should be toned down. Previous GTAs were far too easy, you could mow down armies of cops so easily...playing GTA V with free-aim enabled, the shoot outs feel so much more intense because you know the cops are bad-ass...and they should be, this is (kinda) the LAPD.

When you get headshotted by a cop as you drive away, you're assuming he took aim and fired one perfect marksman shot through your skull, when what actually happens is they unload into your car at head-height, so the chances of you getting hit int he head are pretty high. I like the cops difficulty now, previous games were easssssssyyyyyyyyy.

dream3r
  • dream3r

Keeper of dreams

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:14 AM

I've not once had a problem with the police, very easy to escape if you know how to, and also use a mask to reduce the stars by one each time.

UP9390
  • UP9390

Railfan, Sheriff of Los Santos County - PSN

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:22 AM

Jagblade, on 05 Oct 2013 - 8:51 PM, said:

My issues with the police are situation based.

You rob a store you've been to enough times, you get four stars, they SWARM the building. And because they're dead-eye accurate there is no escape.

Any other time, two stars even, watch your GPS as you drive. Police cruisers WILL just spawn on the road a few dozen meters ahead of you when there was previously nothing. Police always seem to know where you are as well. I've outrun them by several blocks and pulled into a parking building. Like clockwork, they all randomly converge on that building and start to search it.

Police know I'm in a stolen vehicle even if I find it unattended out in the middle of nowhere or if I kill any witnesses nearby. Just how many black SUVs are there in Los Santos? How did they know THIS was the exact vehicle? Did they read the license plate, run it through the system, and then verify it in three seconds all while I was speeding down the road and swerving?

Police Choppers show up way too quickly, and are too hard to avoid. Hide under an overpass? Too bad the cruisers already know where you are. Outrun the cruisers? Can't outrun the chopper because it can see across several blocks. Not to mention it has snipers on either side that can peg you regardless of whether or not the chopper is turning or moving.

TBH I preferred the police in GTA IV. They behaved much better and were perfectly balanced. Just accurate enough, not too punishing, but they weren't a cake walk either.

As it stands, you can't have a stand off with the police because there are so many that respond so quickly and are dead eye accurate. They can be outrun, but only on certain occasions. They need to be scaled down, especially their accuracy and tendency to spawn randomly down the road ahead of you or on the sidewalk beside you.

Technically it is realistic for the vehicle recognition, some departments (including LAPD) are investing in automatic license plate readers... AI should recognize self defense though: I was on GTA Online and a random gang pedestrian pulled my friend out of his car, then he started getting shot at, I pulled my service weapon and neutralized the suspects, then I got a one star wanted level FOR SELF-DEFENSE. I run a Police Clan on GTA IV and going to be on GTA Online, I have no problem with someone taking self-defense against some trolling dickhead trying to blow up their $350,000 car for no reason. They need to tone down the response some: I held up a convience store so I could get money for a weapon attachment, and got 4 stars, FIB instantly swarmed along with LSPD cruisers and air support. Realistically it would be about 1-4 local Law Enforcement cruisers at first, then more if shots are fired. LAPD has a large aviation division, so the helicopter response is realistic, and they will patrol from above in the helicopters sometimes looking for crimes.

JasePearson
  • JasePearson

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:22 AM

So, you want ezmode?

Bad players are bad, it's very easy to escape cops, but not so easy that it becomes unenjoyable, it's a challenge at times and if all else fails, you can call lester to remove it for you for 500$

Lordgodofhell
  • Lordgodofhell

Real life ghost

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:29 AM

The UFOs in the sky always monitor you. When those stars show up, resistance is futile.

Jokes aside I agree with OP the police are over powered. But oh well, we have to deal with it and ADAPT.

caseclosedjk
  • caseclosedjk

Forum Bastard

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:38 AM

Others noticed too!

The cops in this game are poorly coded. Even the GTA 3 cops had better coding. They constantly slam into you, they detect you randomly and no matter how stealthy you are, they still give you a wanted level.

They remind me of the cops from Driver. 

JimmyJoeJames
  • JimmyJoeJames

I'ma hero. My methods are just different from yours.

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:41 AM Edited by JimmyJoeJames, 06 October 2013 - 02:43 AM.

Wow really? The police are no where near as fast as in previous GTAs, I've beat up multiple people some times with NO police response. It all depends on where you are at and where they are. I also usually can manage to get left the scene of a crime before they even come. It's really not overpowered at all to me. I'm not sure if some of you notice the new line of sight being implemented too, you can actually hide from them now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users