GTA Online: biggest disappointment in gaming history

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
171 replies to this topic
AndreyK
  • AndreyK

Cold Slavic Killer

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:45 AM Edited by AndreyK, 05 October 2013 - 03:11 PM.

I don't know where to start.

1. Everything is locked behind ranks. You don't like your generic black hoodie? Wait until you rank up to Rank 40 to get a generic hoodie of the colour you like and make sure you have are able to pay the unrealistically over-inflated price of GTA$500! The same goes if you want to tint your gun or customise your car in any way, which seems pointless, whereas car upgrades, weapon upgrades, weapons and vehicle purchases being locked with ranks kinda makes sense, but I still don't agree with it.
  2. Instead of making more reasons to spend money, R* made money more valuable by overpricing everything. Want to be able to respray your car into your favourite colour? Wait until you are Rank 40 and make sure you have GTA$1,500 on you instead of the GTA$500 singleplayer would require! Want a silencer for your expensive (GTA$3,000) gun? Get ready to pay more than 4 times the price of the original weapon and since stealth is non existent in GTAO, it's really pointless too.
  3. Passive mode doesn't allow you to use your weapons. I always imagined it to be something that makes other players invincible to you and you invincible to other players and that would work perfectly, but no, instead it is a mode that does not allow you to use your weaps at all and makes you invincible to other players. Not being able to access your guns you spent thousands of dollars on makes this really unappealing. Also, it costs GTA$100 which is stupid and doesn't make sense. It isn't that high of a price anyway, so R* might as well not have put it in.
  4. Microtransactions. You can buy GTA$ for real money. Does that mean that whoever has the most cash to dish out to R* gets the biggest advantage? Didn't R* earn enough money from the GTA V sales which should have earned them more than 1 billion dollars right now? Also, this kinda ties with my next point.
  5. It is so hard to earn money. Doing anything from holding up a store to doing a generic copy-paste mission (more on that later) earns you GTA$1,000-10,000, which is almost nothing when you have the over-inflated prices and forces you to grind and grind and grind if you want to achieve anything in the world of GTA:O. Ties onto my next point.
  6. So much grinding is required. I just picked a random generic copy-paste Gerald or whatever his name is mission in which I had to steal meth from a gang of bikers. So, I got the meth and got it to the dude and he gave me GTA$2000 or something. Then I decided to tag along with the guys who did the mission with me (even though they were useless and kept wasting team lives). They all chose to replay the mission, and I kinda agreed with them, since we didn't do too good in the mission. The host ramped up the difficulty for x1.5 RP (more on that later) and I thought "okay, I think we can do this, it might be worth it". So, we completed it again, and once again, I stole the meth and got it to Gerald and that is it, it was perfect, no team lives lost. So everyone replayed it again. And again. And again. And again, and again, and again. After one hour of that, I got tired of this and decided to go back to watching Merlin.
  7. Every mission is a generic copy paste. Every Gerald mission is drive to an obvious gang hang-out, steal a drug from the gang and retaliate to their resistance, drive away from them (which is quite difficult because they will peel your crap within 30 seconds due to them having pin-point drive-by accuracy, even though they are generic gang members who are probably untrained in gun wielding.
  8. Rank Points. It just doesn't work in GTA.
  9. Crews have no point. That is it. You only get an ugly clan tag in your name. What I mean is that this is a console game, and console games don't work well with clans or crews or whatever. If it was a PC game, however, everything would work perfect. I can't explain it, but clans feel so much more alive on PC.
  10. Character creation. It is terrible. You don't have full control of what the character looks like. Where are good old sliders? It only really works if you have Collector's edition and have other GTA characters as parents.
  11. Cops get on your crap if they see you driving a stolen car. Look at the title of the game and tell me why R* ever thought up of this. They are placing too much emphasis on buying cars. I was afraid the same would be in GTA V, but thankfully it wasn't.
  12. Hospital bills. Some buttface is going around and killing you for the lulz and you keep losing money, even if you banked that money, and it feels unfair. Hospital bills in SP make sense, usually it is your fault for starting something with the cops or some peeps, but on Online, people are unpredictable and you just keep losing and losing money that is so hard to earn. This is especially annoying when the mentioned buttface is at a higher rank and has better weapons.
  13. No stealth. You always show up on the radar. You want to escape a bounty, tough luck. Stealth at least had a fraction of a point in SP, but when everyone can track you down and the only thing you can do is run, stealth would have been really useful and would have also made for a really interesting experience.

Diesleman
  • Diesleman

Try to be Brown.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:49 AM

Didn't read, lol. Online rocks when you have friends, haha
  • 20cent, EyeMacHunt, djv3n0m and 2 others like this

HitPoint
  • HitPoint

<3

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:51 AM Edited by HitPoint, 05 October 2013 - 02:53 AM.

Skimmed over and all I could hear was a self entitled bigot from a mile away. Everything you mentioned I like or don't mind, they put a lot of work into this and as far as I know many, many people are enjoying it and far exceeded there expectations.

This isn't your cup of tea, move on. There is a whole life out there waiting for you to grow up in.

Ungrateful much?

• EyeMacHunt, lannydee and gunslinginkitty like this

AndreyK
  • AndreyK

Cold Slavic Killer

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:52 AM

Whoo for fanboys, because you don't need valid points.

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

More Dakka Is Never Enough

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:53 AM Edited by JohnGazman, 05 October 2013 - 02:54 AM.

It's a multiplayer component of GTAV that has delusions of being a full-blown MMO. When it comes to pricing, level lock-outs, copy-paste missions and microtransactions, what the hell were you expecting?

AndreyK
  • AndreyK

Cold Slavic Killer

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:53 AM

Skimmed over and all I could hear was a self entitled bigot from a mile away. Everything you mentioned I like or don't mind, they put a lot of work into this and as far as I know many, many people are enjoying it and far exceeded there expectations.

Ungrateful much?

Mind to address my points specifically?

So much work has been put into overpricing, the terrible character customisation and ranks. 10/10. Also, how can many people enjoy it if most can barely play it?

• lannydee likes this

ImpotentRage
  • ImpotentRage

Judgemental Hypocrite

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:55 AM

It's only a disappointment if you were expecting way too much. I'm honestly surprised to see R* deliver on so much content and actually put so much into the online game. I'm having a blast when my sh*t isn't missing.

AndreyK
  • AndreyK

Cold Slavic Killer

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:55 AM

It's a multiplayer component of GTAV that has delusions of being a full-blown MMO. When it comes to pricing, level lock-outs and microtransactions, what the hell were you expecting?

The R* logo was always a stamp of quality for me. I was expecting GTA V to not be as good as well expected, but it was even better.

For a company that continues to impress me, this is just the weirdest thing ever. I was expecting being able to do interesting missions, do things, buy cars, apartments, clothes, but instead I get EA quality crap.

Jersey
  • Jersey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:56 AM

1. Everything is locked behind ranks.

i stopped reading after this. go play another game you instant gratification idiot 

HitPoint
  • HitPoint

<3

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:56 AM Edited by HitPoint, 05 October 2013 - 02:58 AM.

It's a multiplayer component of GTAV that has delusions of being a full-blown MMO. When it comes to pricing, level lock-outs and microtransactions, what the hell were you expecting?

This, do you know how much work goes into making this big of an online game? Do you know how much it costs to buy and manage servers to host whiny kids like you to play on? Almost EVERY popular MMO/Shooter now has microtransactions that are far more overboard on pricing than what rockstar is doing.

Quitcha bitchin fool.

AndreyK
  • AndreyK

Cold Slavic Killer

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:57 AM

It's only a disappointment if you were expecting way too much. I'm honestly surprised to see R* deliver on so much content and actually put so much into the online game. I'm having a blast when my sh*t isn't missing.

Content? Like how they changed the titles of the drugs in Gerald's missions? Or the dozen or so repetitive deathmatches?

• wigwam likes this

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:58 AM

The R* logo was always a stamp of quality for me. I was expecting GTA V to not be as good as well expected, but it was even better.

For a company that continues to impress me, this is just the weirdest thing ever. I was expecting being able to do interesting missions, do things, buy cars, apartments, clothes, but instead I get EA quality crap.

Yeah well. The launch week fiasco has destroyed all my respect for R*, and a stamp of quality is the last thing i'd use to describe their work ethic.

• Members
  • Canada

Passive mode doesn't allow you to use your weapons.

Yes. That's the point of Passive Mode. :sigh:

wigwam
  • wigwam

Prankster

• Members

i agree with OP. not many people here will. they seem to think this is an area to praise rockstar and that is all!

all your points are valid but i think the one that gets me is the cost of everything being so high and earning so little. yea its great that a chopper can come and back me up....but for 10k!? and at level 50 i get an airstrike but feck knows how much that will cost. paying insurance, unskippable taxis etc is all just silly. and if you leave your car it gets towed....and you cant steal another without the cops busting you. so they want us to walk everywhere!?

celtmad87
  • celtmad87

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:59 AM

Im at level 13 an I have to agree the missions are getting repetitive, hopefully it doesnt stay that way.

Jersey
  • Jersey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 02:59 AM

Yeah well. The launch week fiasco has destroyed all my respect for R*, and a stamp of quality is the last thing i'd use to describe their work ethic.

almost every game like this has launch issues. 

wigwam
  • wigwam

Prankster

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:00 AM

Passive mode doesn't allow you to use your weapons.

Yes. That's the point of Passive Mode. :sigh:

well id kinda hoped passive mode would be against other players. no NPC's too. gta 4 had no friendly fire option so people could could mess with the bots. can you get your head around that?

Pinnkiepie
  • Pinnkiepie

PIE

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:00 AM Edited by Pinnkiepie, 05 October 2013 - 03:02 AM.

• Grand Theft Auto Online is going to be something brand new for us: a fully realized and living world for multiple players that will continue to grow and take shape over time.

• The ultimate shape of GTA Online will be determined as much by you, the player, as by the work we put in. What you like and don’t like, what you play and what you want will determine how the game develops and what it turns into.

• Everything we do will be informed by feedback from you all – from the types of missions that roll out to all kinds of future content.

• We are planning for a constant stream of new content, tweaks and updates in the weeks and months ahead.

• The first couple of weeks we expect to be heavily focused on tuning the experience as it goes from internal testing to the reality of being played by tons of people in the real world so that all the usual teething problems for an online game are overcome. We hope it will all run incredibly smoothly, but please bear with us if it doesn't, and help us fix any and all problems!

• After that, we will begin releasing content updates and giving you the opportunity to make your own content.

Currently Planned GTA Online Content Updates:

Here is a quick overview of a few initial things we’re working on for the first few weeks of Grand Theft Auto Online, alongside an aggressive period of tuning and finessing the game. We will give you dates for all of this content as soon as we have them – bear in mind that the order of things may well change, and we will probably add some extra stuff as well!

• The Content Creator: The Content Creator will launch with tools to tailor and publish your own Deathmatches & Races.

• The Beach Bum Pack: Featuring 4 new amazing beach fun vehicles, over 300 new items of incredible down tempo leisure wear and 2 new but not remotely relaxing weapons.

• Capture the Flag: GTA Online’s take on the classic CTF mode including the ability to make your own using The Content Creator.

• Heists: This update will introduce full-on cooperative Heist missions that will require careful planning, teamwork and sharp execution – along with the Heist Planning Board for your apartment.

---

Send them Feedback Andrey :)

[email protected]: This email address will be active from launch day as a place to send your input and feedback direct to us relating to the game.

• boxanata and PeekyNco like this

ImpotentRage
  • ImpotentRage

Judgemental Hypocrite

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:00 AM

Content? Like how they changed the titles of the drugs in Gerald's missions? Or the dozen or so repetitive deathmatches?

I'm not trying to argue with you.

I agree with you on the mission points. It's very "go steal this and kill those guys". GTA IV-ish.

AndreyK
  • AndreyK

Cold Slavic Killer

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:01 AM

i stopped reading after this. go play another game you instant gratification idiot 

Instant? I played the game for two full days. What you are is a hypocrite, since you read the first few words of my post and BAM, you disagree and I am an idiot.

This, do you know how much work goes into making this big of an online game? Do you know how much it costs to buy and manage servers to host whiny kids like you to play on? Almost EVERY popular MMO/Shooter now has microtransactions that are far more overboard on pricing than what rockstar is doing.

Quitcha bitchin fool.

Doesn't make it right, though. I don't think R* can just feed us crap and get away with it just because they are R*.

I mean, yeah, it costs money and time and effort to make it all available and make servers and buy them and things, but if the reason they did all of this is just if CoD, WoW and GTA all had a threesome baby, then it was all pointless.

FrozenInferno
  • FrozenInferno

Heisenberg

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:03 AM

It's a multiplayer component of GTAV that has delusions of being a full-blown MMO. When it comes to pricing, level lock-outs, copy-paste missions and microtransactions, what the hell were you expecting?

This ^^

What did you expect?

"Here's everything in the game, available for pennies, right at the start. Oh, and we're a business with an obligation to make money for our shareholders but we're not going to bother trying to monetize such a wildly popular game that costs a fortune to develop and maintain because everybody wants everything for nothing."

It's the nature of gaming and the nature of business. NOTHING in life is free, and although you paid $60 for the game upfront (which also includes a massive single player element by the way) it is going to be expensive to grow and evolve the online component the way Rockstar intends to over the next couple of years. NO COMPANY providing a continuos service like this will not monetize it in some way. Be thankful there's no subscription fee and quit acting like Rockstar owes you everything for nothing.

GankThis110
  • GankThis110

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:04 AM

Yeah well. The launch week fiasco has destroyed all my respect for R*

Then that shows how much your respect is worth doesn't it?

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:05 AM Edited by JohnGazman, 05 October 2013 - 03:06 AM.

almost every game like this has launch issues. 

Perhaps then, a game of such hype should have had better prepared developers.

Sorry, I know all games have issues. But i'm beyond caring now. This one shouldn't have had this many issues. Preparation was significantly lacking on R*'s part.

Then that shows how much your respect is worth doesn't it?

Around £40. Y'know, the price I paid for the game in the good faith that it wouldn't be a complete disaster.

brantkin
  • brantkin

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:06 AM

I do agree on some of your points. Like the creation system is bad. I know they wanted to be different. Since that is what the gaming community onces. And they tried you have to give them credit. But this system just doesn't work. We want more options not less options. And we want full controll not zero controll.

I do agree with the money balancing it does seem bad. Because the stuff is so cheap. But jobs pay like zero dollars. This reminds me of the different weapon stats in defiance. Oh this one is legendary but it only haves like 5 more damage. And it is almost impossible to get. Also i must say the weapons damages are up in the houndreds. So 5 damage doesn't makea difference. So there is no point to level up. This game isn't as bad but it is pretty bad. Along with the money scaling. You have money being randomly disapearing for unknown reason. On top of the over inflated death prices of 2k or so.

They need to release a patch for free to revert the character creation system into sliders. And they should balance the money out a bit. You gain it fairly fast but as fast as you gain it. It is one.

But dispite these two bad and mechinics. I still enjoy and like online. It is a bit grindy tho i have to admit. But i hope that will change when they release the creation tool and heist. Which i hope is soon. Other wise i don't see gta online lasting very long. Since the new consoles are coming out soon. And people can only do copy pasta for so long.

AndreyK
  • AndreyK

Cold Slavic Killer

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:06 AM

Okay, I will. Also, the rest of your post is kind of stupid, since I read that before. I don't need an excuse why it is so bad, I am just saying it is.

Jersey
  • Jersey

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:07 AM

Instant? I played the game for two full days. What you are is a hypocrite, since you read the first few words of my post and BAM, you disagree and I am an idiot.

Quitcha bitchin fool.

Doesn't make it right, though. I don't think R* can just feed us crap and get away with it just because they are R*.

I mean, yeah, it costs money and time and effort to make it all available and make servers and buy them and things, but if the reason they did all of this is just if CoD, WoW and GTA all had a threesome baby, then it was all pointless.

you are an idiot for expecting everything to just be there for you. yes. you clearly have not played many games like this. whats fun about everything being handed to you? whats the point of playing. you don't like it quit. there are plenty of people that do like it and you can free up some space by not playing at all. you people complain to damn much. 

HitPoint
  • HitPoint

<3

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:08 AM

Ungrateful much?

Mind to address my points specifically?

So much work has been put into overpricing, the terrible character customisation and ranks. 10/10. Also, how can many people enjoy it if most can barely play it?

Like I said, I skimmed through it. I'm not going to read a TL;DR when you don't even understand what goes into making an online component of this magnitude. Everything you're moaning about is subjective, this isn't 2008 either get with the times or move on from gaming as an MMO sized game doesn't fit your bill.

Yawn

KillaDanny
  • KillaDanny

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:11 AM

missions are copy paste? have you played past rank 10 when you meet lester o.O? Don't agree with most of the points though since this online proved itself to be actually pretty good and microtransactions have very little effect on gameplay... 

Mavsynchroid
  • Mavsynchroid

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:13 AM

Didn't read, lol. Online rocks when you have friends, haha

There hasn't been a truer statement than this right here. I know this because I've never played on psn before now so I actually don't have any psn friends (all gamer friends are on computer).

Playing with strangers usually sucks as they like to just randomly kill or ignore you. Didn't help that I don't have a mic either.

m33ts4k0z
  • m33ts4k0z

Rat

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:16 AM Edited by m33ts4k0z, 05 October 2013 - 03:27 AM.

•  
  • Everything is locked behind ranks. You don't like your generic black hoodie? Wait until you rank up to Rank 40 to get a generic hoodie of the colour you like and make sure you have are able to pay the unrealistically over-inflated price of GTA$500!

This is a multiplayer game and it has to offer some kind of progression system. This system is well thought and fits the GTA world perfectly as it is. It has the rewarding feeling that a multiplayer game must have while not having huge impact on balance.

•  
  • Instead of making more reasons to spend money, R* made money more valuable by overpricing everything. Want to be able to respray your car into your favourite colour? Wait until you are Rank 40 and make sure you have GTA$1,500 on you instead of the GTA$500 singleplayer would require! Want a silencer for your gun? Wait until you are Rank 30 and have GTA$10,000 on you instead of the tenth of that price singleplayer would require!

People will find and abuse missions (See Violent Duct) and will try to get an edge against their rivals. That's the feeling of the competitive gameplay that any multiplayer game should and must have. Making more expensive weapon accessories, enhances that competitive atmosphere. The most of the rank up bonuses don't have any impact at all in the gameplay itself. There is already a huge variation of any kind in the game. Sure it can and will be expanded in the future though.

•  
  • Passive mode doesn't allow you to use your weapons.
  • Passive mode costs $100, which is stupid and pointless.

Yes . I read in another post that they should create passive servers instead. Well the mechanic that GTAO has, is closer to Diablo 3 than to WoW. Diablo 3 can never have servers since it doesnt simply work that way. That said passive mode is a pretty neat idea that I personally applaud. Of course you can't use your weapons  :D it's not a bug, it's a feature. And $100 is nothing... just kill 3 people on the street and you got them back.

•  
  • Microtransactions. You can buy GTA$ for real money. Does that mean that whoever has the most cash to dish out to R* gets the biggest advantage? Didn't R* earn enough money from the GTA V sales which should have earned them more than 1 billion dollars right now? Also, this kinda ties with my next point.

You are not in liberty to say that Rockstar or every Rockstar made enough money. It's a private corporation and not a charity organization. To whether someone will or will not buy it totally not affects the gameplay. See the ranks above that you hate so much.

•  
  • It is so hard to earn money. Doing anything from holding up a store to doing a generic copy-paste mission (more on that later) earns you GTA$1,000-10,000, which is almost nothing when you have the over-inflated prices and forces you to grind and grind and grind if you want to achieve anything in the world of GTA:O. Ties onto my next point.

I played 4 hours and got $400.000 from doing missions. That's not long time at all. You can't expect to finish an online game in 1 week.

•  
  • So much grinding is required. I just picked a random generic copy-paste Gerald or whatever his name is mission in which I had to steal meth from a gang of bikers. So, I got the meth and got it to the dude and he gave me GTA$2000 or something. Then I decided to tag along with the guys who did the mission with me (even though they were useless and kept wasting team lives). They all chose to replay the mission, and I kinda agreed with them, since we didn't do too good in the mission. The host ramped up the difficulty for x1.5 RP (more on that later) and I thought "okay, I think we can do this, it might be worth it". So, we completed it again, and once again, I stole the meth and got it to Gerald and that is it, it was perfect, no team lives lost. So everyone replayed it again. And again. And again. And again, and again, and again. After one hour of that, I got tired of this and decided to go back to watching Merlin.

Nobody forces you to repeat a mission. Rockstar has included more than 500 different and unique missions with GTAO launch. It's up to you what you are going to repeat and if at all.

•  
  • Every mission is a generic copy paste. Every Gerald mission is drive to an obvious gang hang-out, steal a drug from the gang and retaliate to their resistance, drive away from them (which is quite difficult because they will peel your crap within 30 seconds due to them having pin-point drive-by accuracy, even though they are generic gang members who are probably untrained in gun wielding.

How can you say that every mission is a copy paste? Are you Rank 50 already? Have you played the airplane missions after Rank 30? Have you played the boat and sea missions? Please don't be in a rush to decide. Everyone has to start from somewhere.

•  
  • Rank Points. It just doesn't work in GTA.

Rank Points = XP points. What's exactly the mistake here? I really love the leveling system.

•  
  • Crews have no point. That is it. You only get an ugly clan tag in your name.

• Wear custom emblems
  • Earn RP/XP bonuses
  • Persist rivalries and Accomplishments
  • Rank up within a Crew Hierarchy

Do i need to repeat myself?

•  
  • Character creation. It is terrible. You don't have full control of what the character looks like. Where are good old sliders? It only really works if you have Collector's edition and have other GTA characters as parents.

So Missions are generic and repeatable but character creation is limiting? Well I was totally excited aboutt he whole genes thing with the character and while it doesn't give you full control, it adds something very unique to the character creation formula. This will bring new standards in the gaming industry.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users