Photo

Online Races are Mario Kart by default.

31 replies to this topic
CorneliusCoffin
  • CorneliusCoffin

The Cof

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:12 PM

Am I the only one who's annoyed by the fact that "Catchup" is enabled in each and every race by default?
It feels to me that most people don't even care going through the settings for the races and just take that default setting and as a result you're constantly in races where the core aim is to stay in second position just long enough to overtake the first on the home stretch. It's Mario Kart for grown ups, essentially. 

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

More Dakka Is Never Enough

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:13 PM Edited by JohnGazman, 04 October 2013 - 09:14 PM.

Am I the only one who's annoyed by the fact that "Catchup" is enabled in each and every race by default?
It feels to me that most people don't even care going through the settings for the races and just take that default setting and as a result you're constantly in races where the core aim is to stay in second position just long enough to overtake the first on the home stretch. It's Mario Kart for grown ups, essentially. 

+1

Catch-up should be disabled by default, if not removed entirely.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:15 PM

That and they got rid of IV's physics, so yeah, even without this slipstream sh*t it really wouldn't be that much better anyway.  There is no actual skill involved.

bongoclock
  • bongoclock

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:17 PM Edited by bongoclock, 04 October 2013 - 09:17 PM.

I love the people that cite "no actual skill involved."

If you were as skilled as you claim to be, you wouldn't lose.

GeorgeClinton
  • GeorgeClinton

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

I agree but GTA for lack of a better term "caters to the casual player" the game starts in auto lock mode, the game starts with catch up mode, they have made world pvp pretty much unviable because everyone loses money from it. They actually allow people to make TDM and at the last second everyone switch to one team making it 2 on 7. There are TONS of stupid sh*t in this game that caters to making a non competitive PvP environment for racing and shooting.

I don't like it either but it seems to follow their philosophy, or at least how I perceive their philosophy.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

You don't seem to understand, but I shouldn't be surprised.  Without any skill involved, no one needs to work to win at all and it's pretty much random and up in the air who will win or lose.  Just like Mario Kart.  If it took skill, there would be a very definitive line between those who suck and those who don't.

GeorgeClinton
  • GeorgeClinton

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

You don't seem to understand, but I shouldn't be surprised.  Without any skill involved, no one needs to work to win at all and it's pretty much random and up in the air who will win or lose.  Just like Mario Kart.  If it took skill, there would be a very definitive line between those who suck and those who don't.

I wouldn't say there is no skill involved. I would say that there is a wrong skill involved. Your plan isn't to break out in front and take as big of a lead as possible its to stay at around 2-3 while disrupting the people behind you. I mean if someone has never played GTA ever in their lives there not going to win the race no matter what, but if no skill was involved than they should have just as much of a chance as someone with like 200 hours clocked. This is not the case.

• CorneliusCoffin likes this

B3ANTOWN B3A5T
  • B3ANTOWN B3A5T

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:25 PM Edited by B3ANTOWN B3A5T, 04 October 2013 - 09:28 PM.

Wow don't bring up the bad memories I have of smoking my friends in Mario Kart the whole race, only to get hit with the lightning strike right at the end and lose to someone with very little actual racing skill. God I hated that shiit.

On topic- yes, catch up is a crutch for crappy racers. Catch up on your own by driving better than the people in front of you.

CorneliusCoffin
  • CorneliusCoffin

The Cof

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

Wow don't bring up the bad memories I have of smoking my friends in Mario Kart the whole race, only to get hit with the lightning strike right at the end and lose to someone with very little actual racing skill. God I hated that shiit.

Shhhh....don't you dare give them any ideas.

Fizzlepop531
  • Fizzlepop531

Peon

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

Only thing I've grown to dislike about racing is the demolision derby approach people take.

I'm trying to have a clean race, and others are trying to blow eachother up.

• B3ANTOWN B3A5T likes this

bongoclock
  • bongoclock

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:29 PM Edited by bongoclock, 04 October 2013 - 09:30 PM.

Well it seems to me the definitive line is those who whine, and those who don't. If the mechanics are equal for all involved (which they are) then it comes down to skill. Catch up mode limits the ability of the lead car to hit peak speed, so naturally why would you want to be in the lead when catch up mode is on. A skilled player will wait until the end of the race to out sprint you to the end line and thus "randomly" beat you.

People who can't manage to stay out of pile ups, or can't avoid pit maneuvers also whine, they whine that so much contact kills the race. People whine about slipstream causing to much of a boost. Generally the people whining preface it with I can't win, or I just lost because of "gimmick that takes no skill"

Stop being bad and learn how to use the EXACT same mechanics for yourself...and presto you might actually gain some skill at racing in an open concept racing world, with or without Catch Up being on. We all use the same mechanics, so it isn't mechanically flawed, some people are just better at the game than you are...deal with it.

B3ANTOWN B3A5T
  • B3ANTOWN B3A5T

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:31 PM

Only thing I've grown to dislike about racing is the demolision derby approach people take.

Yeah its very rare to have a legit clean race. Either people wreck you or drive the wrong way and F up the whole thing.

Best thing is when someone tries to crash you but they wind up spinning themselves out or wrecking.

CorneliusCoffin
  • CorneliusCoffin

The Cof

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:34 PM Edited by CorneliusCoffin, 04 October 2013 - 09:35 PM.

Well it seems to me the definitive line is those who whine, and those who don't. If the mechanics are equal for all involved (which they are) then it comes down to skill. Catch up mode limits the ability of the lead car to hit peak speed, so naturally why would you want to be in the lead when catch up mode is on. A skilled player will wait until the end of the race to out sprint you to the end line and thus "randomly" beat you.

People who can't manage to stay out of pile ups, or can't avoid pit maneuvers also whine, they whine that so much contact kills the race. People whine about slipstream causing to much of a boost. Generally the people whining preface it with I can't win, or I just lost because of "gimmick that takes no skill"

Stop being bad and learn how to use the EXACT same mechanics for yourself...and presto you might actually gain some skill at racing in an open concept racing world, with or without Catch Up being on. We all use the same mechanics, so it isn't mechanically flawed, some people are just better at the game than you are...deal with it.

The point is, once everybody realises that it's better to stay second than be first, you won't have a race at all.
I get your point and I think that catchup should stay in the game as a possibility but not the default mode. When I want to race, I want it to be about who's the fastest and the most proficient in driving, not who can powerabsue the gameplay the best.

Fizzlepop531
  • Fizzlepop531

Peon

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:34 PM

Yeah its very rare to have a legit clean race. Either people wreck you or drive the wrong way and F up the whole thing.

Best thing is when someone tries to crash you but they wind up spinning themselves out or wrecking.

You can almost predict when they will try and side swipe you. Just be ready on the brakes. If you are gaining on them and are in passing range, just get right behind them but on their side, let them try to swerve at you, and hit the brakes a little. They will likely spin themselves out, or swerve enough for you to pass by.

A lot of people in Random Lobbies in Forza 4 do the same sh*t.

Boxman108
  • Boxman108

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

I like how you just assume that I'm bad at the game.  Bad does not even come into it.  In this game there is no "bad" or "good" when it comes to being able to drive - except for the especially retarded players who R* will undoubtedly dumb down the game for in GTA6 once again.  If you've paid attention to anything at all, you'd know most of these "whiners" whine about the driving being dumbed down and far too easy.  Therefor, there is no skill involved when it comes to things like drifting and not crashing or spinning out or anything to do with actual realistic physics.  Slipstreaming is stripped right out of Midnight Club's sh*tty arcade driving.

podyx
  • podyx

Money Maker

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:36 PM

well, i find that there are many people who just have hold the gas all the time while i break in curves and pass 5 cars crashing in the fence lol

podyx
  • podyx

Money Maker

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:43 PM

i actually prefer being the first and when the guy after me gets his boost i prepare to spin him out when he passes

ScarySquirrel
  • ScarySquirrel

Bawbag

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:46 PM

Catch-up should not be in the game at all. It's ridiculous.

TellEmRye
  • TellEmRye

Leader of Buncha Nutters

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:49 PM

Totally agree, I noticed it in the introduction race against Lamar. It is very Mario Kart-est, it's such a shame they removed the GTA IV driving physics as they were remarkably realistic and better than most racing games but instead they downgraded to Saint's Row style driving. Not as bad, not even close, but it's pushing in that direction.

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:53 PM

Catchup is pure aids, just like slipstreaming (or whatever it's called). It's just to give sh*tty players a boost. So many races I've lost because of this crap. It's should be removed.

DoinItLikeDahmer
  • DoinItLikeDahmer

Mr. White - Commissioner

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:57 PM

R* asked for our feedback, and hopefully they'll notice enough people moaning about the catch up feature and patch it in weeks to come. Afterall it is a bullsh*t feature.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

What  does Catch Up do anyway?

bloodblossom
  • bloodblossom

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:07 PM Edited by bloodblossom, 04 October 2013 - 10:10 PM.

gives everyone not in first a speed boost to help them catch up... thats what it does.

CorneliusCoffin
  • CorneliusCoffin

The Cof

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:09 PM

It makes sure that the driver in first position is slower than everyone else.

voad1
  • voad1

Prankster

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

That and they got rid of IV's physics, so yeah, even without this slipstream sh*t it really wouldn't be that much better anyway.  There is no actual skill involved.

No they didn't. Have you even played online yet?

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:11 PM

It makes sure that the driver in first position is slower than everyone else.

Oh ok i've been playing with it on all day and been first quite a bit.

dookqc
  • dookqc

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:15 PM

I agree whit this ''catchup" is not fun ...not my fault if the guy in front of me hit a tree and I pass him for first ...and next thing u know is right behind me trying to past me lol...even whit a 80%wreck car he his still catching up lol

Glamus
  • Glamus

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:47 PM

I think the sh*tty thing is that the racing element is gone. By racing element I mean adjusting speed and finding the perfect racing line. There is plenty of skill involved in pushing, shoving and other dirty elements of the game. I like those things but without the racing element it is really just a sligthly more mature mario kart.

Johnny_Leyenda
  • Johnny_Leyenda

The Crimson Knight

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:31 AM

While most races I have played have catchup disabled (and it should be disabled by default anyway), my biggest gripe is that there's no option to lock car selection. Yes, you can choose car type, but I've noticed that there are some vehicles that are overall inferior to others, on the same type. Of course that it sounds like a weird complain when I can just choose the "best" car and have an advantage, but I think that there should be the option to only have one car (decided by votation, it would be more fair), or bike, or whatever.

And I don't see the point of picking bikes for off-road races as one crash usually kills you. No, you shouldn't crash, but when there's funny people that like to ram into bikes from behind (thanks to the slipstream/catchup mechanics) it kinda defies the point.

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:33 AM

What does catchup do? now im imagining you get a blue shell or lightning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users