» «
Photo

Remove stupid ass bad sport and passive mode and put them on passive s

218 replies to this topic
FilipinoNinja67
  • FilipinoNinja67

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:18 PM Edited by FilipinoNinja67, 08 October 2013 - 03:22 PM.

which led me to believe this problem doesn't exist/isn't nearly as bad on free aim servers
either that or all of you are greatly exagurating

Usually lil` c*nts like our griefers here play with auto-aim, since they aren`t "true" PvP-ers. So, yes, free aim servers have lesser chances of getting said griefers.

And they will also twist and turn their stories, because they can`t simply come in here and say (some are, actually, THAT stupid to) they griefed everyone and now can`t play socially.
I have a question for you

What exactly would one gain from driving around and blowing up everyone's personal vehicles?

GraniteDevil
  • GraniteDevil

The Logic Maker

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:21 PM

"A lot of people"?

You mean: "A lot of griefers" are tired of passive mode and being labeled as a dunce.  That's what you really mean.

Nemesis-mkIX
  • Nemesis-mkIX

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

What exactly would one gain from driving around and blowing up everyone's personal vehicles?

I don't get it either.

I mean It's kind of funny the first time, but not the fiftieth.

My issue is not with the dicks running around blowing up personal vehicles getting labeled as bad-sports, but with a good-sport player (namely me) having the possibility of becoming a bad sport player for destroying another player's car in situations that actually warrant it.

Like say if I'm delivering a vehicle and there's a dude shooting it up from behind me, so I drop a grenade out my window, which then blows up the personal vehicle he's driving, and then I, not him, get my good-sport status tarnished for it.
  • SkylineGTRFreak likes this

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

I like that now other players can't force me into death matches while in free roam.

Nemesis-mkIX
  • Nemesis-mkIX

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

I like that now other players can't force me into death matches while in free roam.

Sure they can if they make it their mission to keep chasing you around and you don't opt to join another game. As far as I've seen and heard, killing you repeated won't give them bad-sport status unless they continually destroy your car.

SLUGFly
  • SLUGFly

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

If it's always and only blowing up player cars, it is indeed broken. Saw a post, though, of a player who intentionally blew up dozens to get it. Dozens. If it was a legit post, legit system.

Nemesis-mkIX
  • Nemesis-mkIX

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:59 PM Edited by Nemesis-mkIX, 08 October 2013 - 04:05 PM.

... But that still doesn't resolve the issue you brought up.

I'd say spawn campers are more of an issue in this regard. Unless someone can confirm that the bad-sport system addresses that too. But that's so situational, I don't know how they would go about that successfully. It couldn't just be: bad-sport a player who kills another player repeatedly, cause I know I like to kill other players out of retribution for every time they kill me.

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:03 PM Edited by Phyxsius-, 08 October 2013 - 04:11 PM.

I have a question for you

As they put it "sweet carebear tears".

You see, they are a special kind of asshole - the ones that take their fun out of not letting other players have theirs. Usually start squealing the moment you show them the boot. The problem is that not everybody is arsed to... not at the 100th gangsta` wanna-be.

That`s what I believe anyway...

My issue is not with the dicks running around blowing up personal vehicles getting labeled as bad-sports, but with a good-sport player (namely me) having the possibility of becoming a bad sport player for destroying another player's car in situations that actually warrant it.

Like say if I'm delivering a vehicle and there's a dude shooting it up from behind me, so I drop a grenade out my window, which then blows up the personal vehicle he's driving, and then I, not him, get my good-sport status tarnished for it.

This is THE grey area I was asking about a long long time ago, here: http://gtaforums.com...entry1063112310 . Granted, some things there are talked about before the game launched and/or have nothing to do with the game at hand.

Quote: "[EDIT]And an automated system has no way of knowing if you dying 50 times in 30 minutes is due to a vendetta (since I can have friends not part of a crew, or crew verbal alliances) or someone griefing you for the sake of griefing." . 

There is no way of an automated system to identify rightful vengeance and griefing, so it will overlap certain grey areas. I`d take overlapping over lack of order, though, or the blunt weapon that bad sport is over no weapon at all.

Nemesis-mkIX
  • Nemesis-mkIX

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:45 PM

I think between the 2 of us, we've nailed the ultimate problem with the bad-sport debate here.

A game such as GTA that really encourages at least some level of player grieffing in perhaps everyone at certain times and given certain situations (or just all the time for some), there really is no defined "high-ground" as far as gamer etiquette is concerned in the GTA world. Granted I would like to think so, but I'd be wrong in saying that there is any "wrong way" to play a GTA game.

That being said, in a sandbox-style game, everyone will also have different ideas of the "right way" to play it. With such a large grey area in player dispositions, it's just as necessary as it is futile to govern such a system with strict rules.

I would like to think that all of the assholes are in one sever together, but at the same time, I have no real problem with getting indescriminantly run over while I'm running down the street. Or the excitement that can come from running around in a world where I'm never truly safe unless I'm at, well, my safe house. In fact I'd almost dare say that for better and worse, that is the reality of a GTA world.

For some, the bad-sport system is too restrictive, for others it's perfect. But the fact is that neither side of the debate is right or wrong. But I guess something has to be enforced to make the majority of players happy, and that means that if either aggressors OR passives must be restricted, then it makes more sense to throw the agro players in a pit together.

So I guess the overlap as you mentioned is inevitable. Still, I don't think the bad-sport system as it currently exists addresses the problem in necessary ways to be as effective as it was intended.

I suppose the fact that bad-sport status is temporary alleviates a fair bit of the frustration that the OP has towards it.
  • Phyxsius- likes this

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

As long as it separates the worst players from the rest, it`s doing something useful. It can and should be fine tuned to separate the grey areas and I hope Rockstar does it. In the meantime, at least we get to not play with the worst of `em.

blackrooster_
  • blackrooster_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

As long as it separates the worst players from the rest, it`s doing something useful. It can and should be fine tuned to separate the grey areas and I hope Rockstar does it. In the meantime, at least we get to not play with the worst of `em.

If I wanted to, though, I could become one of the worst of them and never get punished. I'd simply turn on passive mode and wait until you get out of your car, then hit you repeatedly until you die. I could do that all day long without punishment and if you fired back and destroyed my car, you'd get a bad sport designation.

jc20
  • jc20

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

If I wanted to, though, I could become one of the worst of them and never get punished. I'd simply turn on passive mode and wait until you get out of your car, then hit you repeatedly until you die. I could do that all day long without punishment and if you fired back and destroyed my car, you'd get a bad sport designation.

If I wanted to, I could ignore you in passive mode, start a mission from my phone, complete x number of missions and spawn someewhere else when done.  I'm sure your plan would get really old, really fast...

MrNoir
  • MrNoir

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

If you can't handle being around your own ilk, then perhaps you should consider your behaviour. It's as simple as that.

Spitfirex007
  • Spitfirex007

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

Didn't you make a thread about supporting passive mode prior to the game releasing?! now you are complaining about it?

Bottom line.. Unless it effects you directly, people need to stop worrying about how others play the game. If I'm put into a lobby and I want to go into passive mode, who f*cking cares? Being good at a video game does not make you elite, and will not get you laid. Ruining other players experiences does not make you a hard ass in real life. It doesn't makes you an asshole. You see where I am going with this?

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

That`s a really bad plan :)

Zenlightened
  • Zenlightened

Disposable Assassin

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

I don't really get playing with randoms anyway. if you're in a crew, play with them. If your friends are on, play with them. If not, play invite only and do missions and invite randoms that way. Pub free roam games aren't even any more fun than solo, imo. Most people are off doing their own thing and get all mad when someone kills them...This is asinine. If you don't want to get killed by others, go Invite Only. 

The only co-op thing I've seen in Free roam is the gang attacks. Just save those for when your friends/crew are on. If you have no friends/crew, I don't know what to tell you. 

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:11 PM Edited by Phyxsius-, 08 October 2013 - 06:14 PM.

I don't really get playing with randoms anyway. if you're in a crew, play with them. If your friends are on, play with them. If not, play invite only and do missions and invite randoms that way. Pub free roam games aren't even any more fun than solo, imo. Most people are off doing their own thing and get all mad when someone kills them...This is asinine. If you don't want to get killed by others, go Invite Only. 

The only co-op thing I've seen in Free roam is the gang attacks. Just save those for when your friends/crew are on. If you have no friends/crew, I don't know what to tell you. 

There are ways for both crowds to get what they want and avoid what they don`t want. That is not the point of this conversation :) . It is how bad sport is handled by the game.

I have full friends list and constantly running with friends in invite only sessions and having the time of my life. That is not the point, however.

one_-AFRO-_three
  • one_-AFRO-_three

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:23 PM

How long does "bad sport" stick?

blackrooster_
  • blackrooster_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

If I wanted to, I could ignore you in passive mode, start a mission from my phone, complete x number of missions and spawn someewhere else when done.  I'm sure your plan would get really old, really fast...

Oh, I totally agree ... which is EXACTLY what anyone could do at any time, thereby eliminating the need for both bad sport and passive mode. If someone is bugging you, just leave. That's what I would probably do. The problem is that many players simply don't want to leave like that. If people did what you suggest instead of sticking around, neither of these modes would be needed. But they don't leave. They just get mad and complain. You might leave, but it'd be easy to find people who would not.

Subliminal123456
  • Subliminal123456

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:39 PM Edited by Subliminal123456, 08 October 2013 - 06:39 PM.

The only thing that's missing in this thread is some honesty - like how bad were you really before you got a DUNCE HAT?

I don't buy the 'I only tripped over and my gun scratched his car, now I can't play with my buddies' line. I call BS.

I have been chased, had bounties and killed ppl and collected the bounties myself because they are unable to even catch me let alone kill me. Never once have I had a warning and a few times I have been awarded GTA$ for being a good sport. I never attack anyone unprovoked except when I got fed up with one guy following me around on the first day and screaming into the stores to rob them ahead of me. By the third store, I got so peed off, I shot his tyres out and the cops killed him :)

So, you bad sports, be good sports and tell the REAL truth about how bad you were, then make your complaint. I am sure we will all then be sympathetic to your plight :p

• GapingAngus likes this

GTAVTheHeat
  • GTAVTheHeat

I can't picture life without a point of view..

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:41 PM

What pisses me off is assholes coming to shoot me in the face and then I can't blow them up because I run the risk getting a bad sport.

jc20
  • jc20

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:53 PM Edited by jc20, 08 October 2013 - 06:57 PM.

Oh, I totally agree ... which is EXACTLY what anyone could do at any time, thereby eliminating the need for both bad sport and passive mode. If someone is bugging you, just leave. That's what I would probably do. The problem is that many players simply don't want to leave like that. If people did what you suggest instead of sticking around, neither of these modes would be needed. But they don't leave. They just get mad and complain. You might leave, but it'd be easy to find people who would not.

I think the Bad Sport program is great.  If your style of play is mayhem and carnage, then why does it matter if you get tagged as a bad sport and can only play with other bad sports?  You will then be playing with like minded people.  I yet to hear why this is not a good idea (not directed at you specifically, just in general).

Passive mode is not a perfect system.  I can see the issues with Passive mode abuse you mentioned either in here or another thread, but I think that it at least give some protection to people not wanting to be shot on sight since Bad Sport seems to only be based on destroying cars.  I assume the killing via Passive mode abuse is less then the killing that would take place of unwilling players with no Passive mode protection.

I think a more effective way to have implemented Passive mode would have been to put some sort of Passive icon next to the player's name, but allow this player to both shoot and be shot.  A Passive player shoots a non-passive player - Bad Sport warning for abusing the system.  They do it again - they are now tagged a Bad Sport.  Vice versa for Non-passive shooting a Passive player - Bad Sport warning then tag.  Same thing for running over players and destroying player cars.

In short, allow Passive players to shoot and be shot so they can rob store and fire on NPCs, but if they abuse the Passive icon by attaking other players, or a Non-passive player shoots them, the result is a Bad Sport warning/tag.

Hopefully that makes sense.  This would allow people to play however they choose while providing consequences for abusing or disregarding Passive mode.

Edit: And if both users are Non-passive - cars are free game.

Markf44.4
  • Markf44.4

Trick

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Bad sport and passive is here to stay, I didn't even get to complete the tutorial that I had my car blown up and my tut mission f*cked up and rannover (with passive activated) and killed by some f*cking retard. If you wanna grief and f*ck people's games go do so with other griefers.

Same here and Im sick to death of these pre pubescent f*cktards who's only goal in the game is drive around and shoot anyone the come across. I love the bad sport system F*ck you griefers

EyeMacHunt
  • EyeMacHunt

Tank Hunter

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

Good news is bad sport lobbies are filling up and they are all ranked 40+ so I have more skilled players to team up with for missions. 

We can rank up and come back to noob servers and cause even more havoc.

Excellent

kastrenzo
  • kastrenzo

Hustler

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:13 PM

I've never been labelled a bad spot, but the concept of it is terribly thought out

Bad sports are reserved for "Poor Sports" and Cheaters.

So what if someone joins a game, gets TKed a bunch of times and yelled at,  and they leave mid-mission, and get a bad sport repuatation, now they have to play with cheaters.

so much of GTA:O has been terribly planned and executed

Nemesis-mkIX
  • Nemesis-mkIX

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:40 PM Edited by Nemesis-mkIX, 08 October 2013 - 09:47 PM.

Ruining other players experiences does not make you a hard ass in real life. It doesn't make you an asshole. You see where I am going with this?

You're right that ruining others' experiences doesn't make someone a hard ass in real life. Quite the opposite. But it DOES make them an asshole. In fact this is exactly the kind of behavior that is the problem with our current, internet-fueled generation:

As some of you may have noticed, there are many of us in this thread, some on both sides of this little debate, that are capable of discussing this issue civilly, while others are more inclined not to talk "with" others, but "at" others. This whole hiding behind anonymity as an excuse to act like a douchebag just because they don't have to stand face-to-face with the person they're verbally abusing, is definitely the fabric of asshole.

On this site I'm Nemesis-mkIX, a completely anonymous avatar, but I, like many others make the effort not to hide behind that, in speaking much the same the way I would with strangers on forums and online as I would face-to-face in real life given the same conversation.

Maybe some people just have such low self-esteem that it makes them feel like a bigger person to wear their avatar mask and troll and carry on like a douche, or maybe it's just because in their minds, they actually are. In either case, it doesn't say any more good about their character in real life than it does about their virtual lives.

So where am I going with this?

If possible, there should be some effort towards social order infused into online communities that separates the anti-social from those who don't use the anonymity of an avatar just to project a negative experience on others.

More importantly, while it's easy enough to just leave the situation, it shouldn't be the victim in these instances who is required to go out their way to avoid such behavior EVERY time. If that's the "grand solution" then what does that say about our generation? Has the Information Age really made us any more civilized? Whoever said that "progress never takes a back-step" certainly never had to deal the social issues it created.

I applaud R*'s effort to try to combat this backward behavior, but in a game that encourages assholes to do their thing as much GTA generally does, I'm not sure it can really be implemented effectively to make "good-sports" happy with it. Especially in the realm of those who would go out of their way to abuse it, and the positive experiences of others.
  • GapingAngus likes this

EyeMacHunt
  • EyeMacHunt

Tank Hunter

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:44 PM

so much of GTA:O has been terribly planned and executed

this.

It is like punishing people for a fend in rugby. Someone tries to tackle you and you fend them off and you're a bad sport. Someone tried to kill you in GTA and you destroy their car, bad sport. Great logic rockstar.

GameBroAdvanced
  • GameBroAdvanced

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

So a lot of people are tired of Rockstars stupid ass decision to try and force passive players and regular players into the same matches with the use of an badly nokemented bad sport system and passive mode for purchase in game. This has led to many problems for both passive and regular players.
What needs to happen is the bad sport system and passive mode be put into it's own server type. A passive server like RDR had and regular servers for regular players without the bad sport crap and passive mode.

I don't understand the problem. If you find yourself in a lobby where everyone is in passive mode...simply find a new lobby. It takes like 10 seconds, no big deal.

blackrooster_
  • blackrooster_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:41 AM

Same here and Im sick to death of these pre pubescent f*cktards who's only goal in the game is drive around and shoot anyone the come across. I love the bad sport system F*ck you griefers

But bad sport doesn't stop that from happening. I could shoot you alll day long and never get a bad sport label ... only if I destroy your personal car. Which doesn't make sense seeing as how if you're going after a bounty and happen to destroy the target's car, you get punished.

I actually got a bad sport warning -- my only one so far -- because other players kicked me while I was still, more or less, in the tutorial (the part where you have to visit the clothing store). So it's obviously a flawed system.

blackrooster_
  • blackrooster_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:43 AM

Good news is bad sport lobbies are filling up and they are all ranked 40+ so I have more skilled players to team up with for missions. 

We can rank up and come back to noob servers and cause even more havoc.

Excellent

That's because eventually, even non-griefing players will succumb to the bad sport system without intentionally being a jackass.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users