Quantcast

» «
Photo

PC vs. Console conversation (keep it civil)

119 replies to this topic
DJ Arrt
  • DJ Arrt

Dreamer

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:12 AM

I would be a PC gamer IF I had the money to afford a good PC. Now, I'm just stuck with a decent laptop and an Xbox.

The only reason why I actually prefer consoles are for the convenience, and I'm 16. 

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:36 AM Edited by lil weasel, 06 October 2013 - 06:38 AM.

I want any console gamers to explain why most PC vs. Console arguments on YouTube consist of a bunch of PC gamers stating the facts and getting thumbs up, and a bunch of console gamers spelling improperly and getting thumbs down.

Generally the PC gamers are adults who have purchased the computer for themselves. The consoles are being used by children (gifts from doting parents to shut them up).

Since the modern consoles have internet access the children get a chance to be vocal, hence the spelling errors from the clumsy 'keyboard' used in consoles.

While the PC may seem better (graphics, etc.) the console does have (or did have) one advantage. In days of old there was no 'available space' problems because the game played from the CD/DVD and was not stored on a Hard Drive. Allowing for an infinite amount of game whereas the PC/MAC game storage is limited. I am not counting the game save sticks and cards.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:38 AM Edited by AceKingston, 06 October 2013 - 06:39 AM.

I want any console gamers to explain why most PC vs. Console arguments on YouTube consist of a bunch of PC gamers stating the facts and getting thumbs up, and a bunch of console gamers spelling improperly and getting thumbs down.

Generally the PC gamers are adults who have purchased the computer for themselves. The consoles are being used by children (gifts from doting parents to shut them up).

Since the modern consoles have internet access the children get a chance to be vocal, hence the spelling errors from the clumsy 'keyboard' used in consoles.

While the PC may seem better (graphics, etc.) the console does have (or did have) one advantage. In days of old there was no 'available space' problems because the game played from the CD/DVD and was not stored on a Hard Drive. Allowing for an infinite amount of game whereas the PC/MAC game storage is limited.

None of this is true. Consoles also have limited amount of storage and in-fact PC gamers are more popular among Teens. And only the PS3, PSP and Vita allow web-browsing and very few browse the web on their console.

You really need to do some researching.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:45 AM

"None of that is true" is quite a broad statement.

Teens are children, but not all children are teens.

Storage on Modern consoles are limited because they now have hard drives. The older units had memory and didn't store the games in the machine.

The only memory limitation on the old consoles was the game save stick/card, as the game itself was run from the CD/DVD in on board RAM.

MrPeteyMax
  • MrPeteyMax

Later, losers.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

require internet if you want to mod your games.

No you don't! Modding has nothing to do with the internet.

You have to download modifications.

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

Boom.....

Eris
  • Eris

Ghetto Star

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:07 PM

I can play the same game in the same room with other people. I can have a conversation face to face with another human being while playing a game. I can drink and not feel like an alcoholic because other people are in the same room as me drinking as well. Someone could snuggle with me or touch my genitals while I'm playing a game. I can use other functions of a computer at the same time without out having to alt+tab and lessening the performance of the game.

afk4ever
  • afk4ever

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

I can play the same game in the same room with other people. I can have a conversation face to face with another human being while playing a game. I can drink and not feel like an alcoholic because other people are in the same room as me drinking as well. Someone could snuggle with me or touch my genitals while I'm playing a game. I can use other functions of a computer at the same time without out having to alt+tab and lessening the performance of the game.

Assuming you have any friends...

Eris
  • Eris

Ghetto Star

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:42 PM

I thought PC gamers were smarter and more logical? You can do better than that m8.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:54 PM

Nipperkins, you are so completely full of it. Let's ignore how silly all of those points are (if someone's "touching your genitals" while gaming you're doing something wrong) and prepempt the impending predictably pedantic response by saying you can obviously do all of those things while PC gaming as well.

I see a trend here - attacks on PC gaming are more often than not ignorant attacks on the player, while attacks on hardcore console gaming from the PC camp usually revolve around hardware limitations.

afk4ever
  • afk4ever

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

I thought PC gamers were smarter and more logical? You can do better than that m8.

Oh, ok, I get it.

Insulting you makes me stupid and illogical?

Self-centered asshole.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

We could all do without the flaming, however.

Mista J
  • Mista J

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

Oh, ok, I get it.

Self-centered asshole.

It makes you childish homie, something you claim console gamers to be. (He's a console gamer in disguise folks!)

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:23 PM

Do you want to know the truth? PC gamers are the only people who are dumb enough to search up a topic like that. We console gamers know that PC's are better but we don't enjoy their exclusives or don't like buying new parts or we like playing with friends after a hard days work or even when we buy a game we know it works. 

PC gamers make themselves look like console gamers and reply in bad spelling just to make themselves feel a bit better but the truth is they are a sad group of people ( Note only the people who pretend that they're console gamers to get others to thumbs them up ) that just want a group of strangers to agree with them.

This has to be the stupidest statement made in the history of man-kind. Why do you think we are a group of 'sad people', just stop being a fanboy and enjoy what platform you play on.

It all depends on your choice, technically PC's are much more superior than consoles but whether you prefer PC gaming or console game comes down to your choice, your preferences. I've been PC gaming ever since I was 6, so I prefer PC gaming. For someone who grew up with the PS2, NES etc they'd prefer console gaming and sometimes people prefer both PC and console gaming.

I honestly find this whole argument silly at the end of the day, just enjoy the game irrespective of the platform.

You clearly didn't read my paragraph and should go back if you did then you're the reason why people hate PC fans. You pretend you're a console gamer and post the worst responds to make yourself look better. 

You don't see console gamers looking up what's better PC or Console. Nope cause we're not that stupid. Now we look up PS4 vs Xbone cause we can decide if we made the right choice or not. 

Please note I didn't care to read the rest of your post after the first sentence cause you didn't read my post. 

afk4ever
  • afk4ever

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:29 PM

Oh, ok, I get it.

Self-centered asshole.

It makes you childish homie, something you claim console gamers to be. (He's a console gamer in disguise folks!)

NO!

I am most certainly NOT a console gamer.

I am a PC gamer that does not want any business with consoles.

Please do NOT assume I am a console gamer when I have done nothing to give that false image.

I am the absolute farthest thing from a console gamer.

Mista J
  • Mista J

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:34 PM

Oh, ok, I get it.

Self-centered asshole.

NO!

I am most certainly NOT a console gamer.

I am a PC gamer that does not want any business with consoles.

Please do NOT assume I am a console gamer when I have done nothing to give that false image.

I am the absolute farthest thing from a console gamer.

Haha, relax man! I'm actually converting to PC gaming. No moar sub 1080p for me!

Spaghetti Cat
  • Spaghetti Cat

Working hard to maintain my sanity.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • US-Virgin-Islands

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

It was XP since I last touched a PC,but for me it was the ease of use that made the consoles more sensible for gaming. I will give the PC all the credit in the world for better graphics and keyboard-and-mouse has no equal in the console realm. However...the various drivers, requirements, and hardware just to run a game is/was quite maddening. The consoles seem to have the 'plug & play' concept worked out. (GTAO bugs aside) The downside is less resolution and dated graphics. IMO V is a next-gen game, somehow R* managed to push it onto the current gen, but these consoles are really showing their age. I think if you can put up with those issues a console is a good investment if you want it for purely gaming, however PC is better is you want the latest and greatest (and can pay for it). Or do like some people and get both.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 06 October 2013 - 10:54 PM

Ooh, don't forget sub-par frame rate, Spagh. ;)

I think steam has done wonders for PC gaming. For the most part, everything I've ever bought and played on steam just works. And that's awesome. It truly does make your machine "plug and play" while still maintaining all the wonders of a PC.

That said, I'm a video professional who has the luxury of high-end electronics that simply work. I remember the dark days of driver malfunctions and day one patches. Max Payne 2, anyone? :(

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

Do you want to know the truth? PC gamers are the only people who are dumb enough to search up a topic like that. We console gamers know that PC's are better but we don't enjoy their exclusives or don't like buying new parts or we like playing with friends after a hard days work or even when we buy a game we know it works. 

PC gamers make themselves look like console gamers and reply in bad spelling just to make themselves feel a bit better but the truth is they are a sad group of people ( Note only the people who pretend that they're console gamers to get others to thumbs them up ) that just want a group of strangers to agree with them.

This has to be the stupidest statement made in the history of man-kind. Why do you think we are a group of 'sad people', just stop being a fanboy and enjoy what platform you play on.

It all depends on your choice, technically PC's are much more superior than consoles but whether you prefer PC gaming or console game comes down to your choice, your preferences. I've been PC gaming ever since I was 6, so I prefer PC gaming. For someone who grew up with the PS2, NES etc they'd prefer console gaming and sometimes people prefer both PC and console gaming.

I honestly find this whole argument silly at the end of the day, just enjoy the game irrespective of the platform.

You clearly didn't read my paragraph and should go back if you did then you're the reason why people hate PC fans. You pretend you're a console gamer and post the worst responds to make yourself look better. 

You don't see console gamers looking up what's better PC or Console. Nope cause we're not that stupid. Now we look up PS4 vs Xbone cause we can decide if we made the right choice or not. 

Please note I didn't care to read the rest of your post after the first sentence cause you didn't read my post. 

Wow, this guy deserves an award for worst poster of the year 2013.

SatournFan
  • SatournFan

Ten Outta Fish

• The Yardies
  • Russia

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:43 AM Edited by SatournFan, 07 October 2013 - 11:43 AM.

We console gamers know that PC's are better

Problem solved.

/thread

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

I'm not going to delve into which is better, it's already been elaborated upon here.

I would personally like to have the best of both worlds without a doubt, But I simply haven't the time for a PC and a console. Hardly even time to play my console actually.

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

I honestly can't think of a single franchise which exists solely on console that comes even vaguely close in terms of quality to the various pc-only franchises.

Then you my friend aren't much of a gamer.

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Lifetime Achievement Award
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

Yea, but can you build a PC that has the power of what the new systems can do for the price of $400-500? No.

It's just more common for gamers to go with the cheaper option.

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:56 PM

Can't be much cheaper than... Free! I hope all of you have signed up for the steambox beta. Odds are still relatively good. You may end up with 2000 dollars worth of gaming tech for free.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

Can't be much cheaper than... Free! I hope all of you have signed up for the steambox beta. Odds are still relatively good. You may end up with 2000 dollars worth of gaming tech for free.

Lol.

OT: The only thing stopping me from getting a good PC is cost, I may have to do what my brother did and wait 'til uni in 2 years time, and use the grant to buy a good PC.

My main reasons for liking my console is the controller (but then I learnt you can connect controllers to PC) and ease of use/simplicity - but in the case of a good PC, I could be up and running any game within 15 seconds from shutdown. However, I know enough about computers to be able to do well enough, I know most of my friends on xblive wouldn't have it that easy. 

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:57 PM

I know I previously mentioned that I've got a sturdy machine (I run windows on my rMBP) but I don't think CTDs and Bluescreens are as big an issue as they once were.

Edit - also, by "relatively good" I meant "better than any lottery by a long shot" and the more members of GTAF we have in the running, the more liekely we'll get eyes on the thing sooner. ;)

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Dealux (ΣΓ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

If you are a casual gamer, consoles are the best thing for you. If you are more passionate about it, PC gaming probably makes more sense. PC offers better graphics, performance (better frame rate at least), and controls (not always, but they have yet to "reinvent" the mouse), but for a bigger price, which is not a problem if you have the money. Of course the balance might shift with the next generation of consoles, but PCs will always be ahead unless upgrading consoles becomes a thing.

Also, on PC you don't have to deal with any bullsh*t subscription for multiplayer or whatever.

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:58 PM Edited by Lightning Strike, 07 October 2013 - 06:08 PM.

If you are a casual gamer, consoles are the best thing for you. If you are more passionate about it, PC gaming probably makes more sense. PC offers better graphics, performance (better frame rate at least), and controls (not always, but they have yet to "reinvent" the mouse), but for a bigger price, which is not a problem if you have the money. Of course the balance might shift with the next generation of consoles, but PCs will always be ahead unless upgrading consoles becomes a thing.

Also, on PC you don't have to deal with any bullsh*t subscription for multiplayer or whatever.

You make a number of good points, but I genuinely believe that the ninth generation of consoles will be very versatile and upgradable, seeing as the PlayStation 4 already has a few upgradable parts, obviously to not to the extent of PC gaming but certianly a rather drastic move in console gaming in general.

I also believe that it's highly likely that by the 2020's PC gaming and console gaming will either both be relatively extinct due to a new hybrid machine appearing that can neither truly called a PC or a console, or console gaming in general will have taken over 95% of the gaming market. I say this due to the increase in the speed that more advanced hardware, software and other technologies are developed as well as the gaming market's obvious move towards digitization. 

At this point in time I personally think that the capabilities of the consoles/hybrid machines at the point will be so great that it would be insanely difficult to tell the difference between what a console could do, compared to a PC of the time period, despite the PC's obvious potential to be stronger, the question isn't how much stronger, but rather how noticeably stronger it is. By this point in time massive strides will be being made towards photo-realism and hyper-intelligent AI, and as a result of this, what developers can actually achieve on consoles or their possible hybrid machines will be great enough that the differences between the PC versions of games either won't be noticeable enough to matter, or that it would take far too much effort to actually utilise the power of a high-end PC at that point time. 

In short PC gaming and console gaming as we know will most likely die out due to their perks being taken over by a much more advanced and powerful machine, with none of the cons that previously plagued either of the two systems. I don't know where this will leave the gaming market, but I can almost guarantee that the only two big companies left in gaming at that point will be Steam and Sony, seeing as these two companies appear to be pushing towards this future of gaming more and more. Valve's Steambox is basically a footprint, a guideline if you will, to up the standard of consoles and PC's in general, where as Sony obviously seems to think that making a stronger machine is better than fitting it with a bunch of pointless gimmicks that will raise the price of the system and the amount of controversy surrounding it.

This could potentially lead to extinction of gaming as we know it today, but also usher in a landscape of gaming where developers are not limited by publishing constraints (see the exponential growth of self-publishing) and hardware constraints will be a thing of the past, allowing them to create games which contain enough content to make games like GTA V, The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite and Beyond Two Souls appear as primitive to us as Pong is to the gamers of today.

The digital market will almost certainly be dominated by Steam, I do believe that a potential partnership between Sony and Valve would he highly viable, Steam know how to run an online market space better than nearly all of their competitors and Sony knows this. It would be foolish not to allow full multiplatform gaming by that point in time, already Sony have made strides towards this goal with the VP of  the company stating outright that exclusivity actually hurts games, gamers and the gaming market in general.

This is not necessarily a good thing however as other smaller, but dedicated online game retailers will also wink out of existence, Steam shows little support for Linux users and Desura is really the only place where they're properly catered to so expect to see a rapid decline in the already small Linux user-base. So although currently each system has its' pros and cons, expect console gaming to either dominate the landscape or be replaced by a more suitable and advanced hybrid machine entirely. 

I'd also expect the purchase of either Nvida or AMD entirely by either Sony or Microsoft (dependent on who actually stays in the gaming market in the years following 2016) seeing as it would make the advances on consoles even more noticeable, and their ability to create and ship cheaper machines with graphics that could equal that of a high-end PC of the time would almost certainly allow a massive surge in the amount of sales made on the console front. But I'm retreading old ground here and I don't wish to bore anyone further than most likely already have, to put it simply expect the unexpected.

Nun0567
  • Nun0567

Thug

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

^^That was a nice read.

Back on topic, I would switch to PC gaming if it offered better exclusives. There's 0 pc exclusives that made me say 'Damn, I wish I had a good pc.'

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Dealux (ΣΓ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

^ Why do exclusives even matter? Do you want to tease console gamers with them or something? The more important thing would be if the PC platform has good games, and it arguably does. There are much more games on PC, but it all depends on your tastes and budget.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users