Photo

How long did the magic last?

90 replies to this topic
dp415263
  • dp415263

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:08 AM

I don't know if this is only me, I doubt it. But there are few games that feel truly "magical" when starting to play them if you like me have played games your whole (30 year) life. You know how games work, you know the mechanics behind them. But I have noticed that I have feelt that magical feeling when first playing GTA IV, then Read Dead and now GTA V. 

It is a feeling of not seeing all the mechanics at first, to truly feel like you are in another "living" world. I cant describe it better then that. It does not last forever though. I think it only lasted for max 1 day with Gta IV and Red Dead, but I feelt it for longer with Gta V, maybe strongly for 1-3 days, then it faded out slowly (now over 100 hours later). Do any of you know what I am talking about, and have you experienced it? 

This is the worst dead city yet GTA V is sh*t

dg101
  • dg101

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:51 AM

About 3 days.  Then I found myself playing like it was a chore while waiting for the cheats.  Then those came out and sucked, so...bye bye GTA 5.

rrocks
  • rrocks

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:28 AM

The first time I crashed my car and realized I couldn't push the car infront of me out of my way, the magic died. From that moment on, the magic continued to die. It actually - honestly, faded the more I played it and realized how much they left out or skimped us on. I think they gave us this huge world to play in, but no toys to play with - if that makes any sense at all.

Straight-up-G
  • Straight-up-G

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:14 AM

Didn't really feel it with V. Don't get me wrong it's one of if not the best game I've ever played. Very few games have that "magic". The only ones I can remember are Far Cry 3 and Skyrim, and of course iv

• rrocks likes this

blues3531
  • blues3531

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:33 AM

Once I grew up things dont exactly have the same effect on me. Gta Vice City and San Andreas had a special place in my heart because i was young when i got those games. I havent felt special by a video game in years, much like holiday season.

This so much ^ I never get that "lost" feeling anymore in new games (I good sense of lost) San Andreas was like a giant playground that took me ages to understand

Same here.

The series is losing its way though - maybe someone at the company left and they took that feeling with them and thats why IV and V have lost something .... GTA is a brand now - and it shows

I honestly think its because the games haven't changed that much since 3. I was 12 when GTA3 came out and  have sank tons of time into each game since then. Back through the ps2 era just getting into shootouts and cop chases could entertain me for HOURS

. And here with the new graphics, physics and technology of 4 and 5 you think it'd make for even more fun shootouts and cop chases. And it would be true if GTA4 was my first one and I was 12 all over again. But I get bored fast in these games now and I think its just that I got older and have been playing the same game for 12 years.

Zannis
  • Zannis

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:50 AM Edited by Zannis, 07 October 2013 - 06:53 AM.

IV just didn't do it for me at all, there was no magic there for me.  I hated how often I would flip my cars in that one.  I felt like I could never go really fast in IV because of this, and although I beat it, it felt like a chore.

V is great, but it's still not as good as San Andreas was.  Not only did SA have more to do in a smaller game world, it even had 2 additional cities in San Fiero and Las Venturas.

By contrast, V has a huge game world with gorgeous visuals, but 2/3's of the map is barely utilized in the missions, if at all.  Most of the game seems to take place in Los Santos, except for that brief series of missions in the game that force Michael and Trevor into Blaine County. Most of the rural parts of the map are eaten up by Mount Chilead and that huge lake in the middle.

Until a GTA comes out that surpasses San Andreas in the number of features, mini-games and things to do, I don't think I'll ever be really satisfied.

One Poor Fool
  • One Poor Fool

Judge & Jury

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:32 AM

I think what the OP is describing is that feeling of "novelty," something new and unexperienced.  After a while, you get used to the thing, and the feeling of novelty wears off. 

When read in Paulie Walnuts voice it just sums it all up perfect!

Malfunkt
  • Malfunkt

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

I had to reg to reply to this thread. I can say I was just floored when first playing. For me, it was several days of soaking in the mechanics, physics, and atmosphere of the game. I just love the immersiveness of the series - the detail in characters, vehicles, ads, environment, ambience.

This game has won me over. It's like taking a short digital vacation. The key here is to make it a vacation. Trying to cut down gaming to just the weekends (recovering from a bout of CSGO addiction).

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

I think GTA V is brilliant but Red Dead Redemption is my favorite game of this generation.

• visionist and im_stoned like this

dodeca
  • dodeca

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

GTAV is to GTA what Scary Movie is to slasher flicks. 

Uh... no... just no.  GTAV is no different than GTASA.

Yup. Except only 1/2 the content.

Magic gooooooone.

Just because it was in SA does not mean it was good.  The Chilian bike races were bad.  There were far too many races.  The working out aspect was dumb.  I love SA, but GTAV took the best of SA and put it in there.  Quality over quantity.

Everything except have NPC's follow you around and do drive by's like CJ could.

werent monster trucks, VTOL jets, amphibious boats(i forget what they're called...air boats?), go karts, different fighting styles, demolition derbies, katanas, decent motorcycle and offroad handling, nitro, bashing OG LOC, jetpacks, and all thats missing in 5 fun? It was quality fun for its time. I miss most of those because the map this time, unlike gta4, allows them to be used funfully.

By contrast, V has a huge game world with gorgeous visuals, but 2/3's of the map is barely utilized in the missions, if at all.  Most of the game seems to take place in Los Santos, except for that brief series of missions in the game that force Michael and Trevor into Blaine County. Most of the rural parts of the map are eaten up by Mount Chilead and that huge lake in the middle.

I felt the same. I get that they made the salton sea and its surroundings but I cant help but feel that instead of 4 hills surrounding a bigass lake, a death valley, a larger river zancudo, a bigger swampland, and more forest area, especially redwood forests would have given the map more character.

Lanzfeld113
  • Lanzfeld113

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

Even trying to hang around the peds is boring and no magic. When they don't call the cops on you for the crime of existing.

StingrayX
  • StingrayX

♢ Las Venturas ♢

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

For like a week. I'm not getting any real magic, it's just a game to play for visuals and driving for me.

woggleman
  • woggleman

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:50 PM

This makes me want to visit California so I think that says something.

im_stoned
  • im_stoned

Trick

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:19 AM Edited by im_stoned, 10 October 2013 - 07:21 AM.

It didn't.

I thought it was just me but this game really lacks the life and feel RDR, GTA IV had. I can't explain it but los santos feels like it was made my the true crime developers and not rockstar. I don't know how else to say it this doesn't feel like a '' rockstar city''

im_stoned
  • im_stoned

Trick

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:21 AM Edited by im_stoned, 10 October 2013 - 07:33 AM.

I think GTA V is brilliant but Red Dead Redemption is my favorite game of this generation.

My top 3 is RDR, Gta iv ( for the storyline) and saints row 2 ( for general fun) Now this list is not in order but overall i think rdr wins the award because it was original. Yes wild west games have been made before but rdr took it to other level adding animals to the game for example

ColePhelps27
  • ColePhelps27

Peon

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

About a week. I never thought V was anything too amazing, but it's very good. 

L.A. Noire and Heavy Rain's magic lasted longer.

Harwood-Butcher
  • Harwood-Butcher

Snitch

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:25 AM

I had to reg to reply to this thread. I can say I was just floored when first playing. For me, it was several days of soaking in the mechanics, physics, and atmosphere of the game. I just love the immersiveness of the series - the detail in characters, vehicles, ads, environment, ambience.

This game has won me over. It's like taking a short digital vacation. The key here is to make it a vacation. Trying to cut down gaming to just the weekends (recovering from a bout of CSGO addiction).

Spot on, going around LS in the early hours when the roads are quiet and seeing the light up skyline makes you feel your in California.

All I need now is the soundtrack to the first Fast & Furious film and it would be perfect.

Kendoyid
  • Kendoyid

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:37 AM

couple of weeks,think im getting old,most games these days that i love at the start,i quickly lose interest,vice city & san andreas gave me months of fun back in the day,didnt think any game would do that for me again,gt 5 managed it,even if it was for a short period.online will keep me interested for a while longer i guess.

Kent_Paul_Jnr
  • Kent_Paul_Jnr

lets bounce

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:16 AM

The magic for me was dying on the first day - it is now returning since I own a customised Benefactor Feltzer, driving this from LS to Blain County is so damn fun..  I used to think the city was small - but seeing the sunset when driving all the freeways back into the city is so awesome.

DAMN THE roads used to be small in IV in v you can really cruise.

I think of GTA as one big multiplayer map and its so damn detailed - can't wait for MP to really take off

I have so many points of interest - just wish the police was not so OP

Kendoyid
  • Kendoyid

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

Spot on, going around LS in the early hours when the roads are quiet and seeing the light up skyline makes you feel your in California.

All I need now is the soundtrack to the first Fast & Furious film and it would be perfect.

i agree about the atmosphere & mechanics,after about 3 days of play i used a scorcher for the first time,went up a mountain at the back of the city not expecting to find much & when i reached the top i could see islands & cliffs on the other side,it looked amazing,i decided to circle the entire map on the bike,the advantage on the bike being you could go almost anywhere & the sounds of the world remain,rode along beaches & on top of mountains & found myself stopping often just to take in the views,was a very good gaming experience.

dg101
  • dg101

Rat

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:11 PM

I'll add this for a comparison.  I've done 3 playthroughs of the Mass Effect series and I'm on my 4th now.  THAT is staying power.  There's not a ridiculous amount of extra stuff you can do in that game, but it's still infinitely fun.  The same goes for Skyrim.  I played that game for years and never got tired of it.  GTA IV.  Played it for years and always had fun.  GTA V?  Played it for what?  2 or 3 weeks, and it felt like it was out of obligation because I expected the cheats to make up for the lack of fun?  The driving mechanics were the first blow.  Then discovering the manual cheat entry was the second, then the lame quality of the cheats were the third.  Followed by the realization that despite all this extraneous crap in the game, and this beautifully realized map, there was nothing to do and nowhere to go.  That and the way people tried to pass these flaws off by saying "Oh, just wait for Online!"  That's such a cop out for a company making a sh*tty game.  Really the nail in the coffin was that 5 minute invincibility bullsh*t that they tacked on for no reason.  It's unbelievable how disappointing this game was, especially when the older games, even IV could entertain me for MUCH longer with much less.  

Cyc2u
  • Cyc2u

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:51 PM

The magic completely wore off today when, after getting 100%, i decided to start a new game and realized they removed all the hidden packages. Completely shattering my incentive to give the game another playthrough. I collected these in the first playthrough and still didnt have money for the golf club or expensive theater. Im not starting over and be MORE broke. No thanks. This game goes to the shelf. Time to look forward to Arkham Origins.

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:14 AM

I agree. RDR is better than V and I'm only 12% into V but already know that.

mind4k3r
  • mind4k3r

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:17 AM

Been a lurker for years as I've been a big GTA fan and this thread made me register. GTA 5, in its current form was an absolute blast to play for one time only buy even then the more you play, you realize it's not all that it was hyped up to be. GTA for me has always been a Single-Player series for me. I never played GTA 4 online and I've only tried GTA online for about an hour and didn't like it. Firstly where the magic was lost is when I realized some of the cool mechanics were only possible in missions and not free roam. I was totally turned off when I couldn't fly that cargo plane in free roam. I was even more disappointed when I realized you can't use the packer truck to transport cars and even when you see car-loaded packers in free roam, you can't off load the cars. It just turns me off severely. Other examples are the boats on the trailers. Even though you see pickup trucks driving around with them, you can't manually put the boat on the trailer. Same goes for the titan. Park an atv in the titan and it bounces about until it explodes killing you (same happened when I put a jet ski on a trailer). Next are the number of interiors in the game. GTA: SA had way more accessible interiors than this game. You could have multiple safe houses etc. What's the point of having so much money if you can only have one safe house or store a max of 6 + one personal car? Also where are the houses with helipads? Where it finally lost the magic for me was the commitment to online at the expense of the SP experience.

catcha25
  • catcha25

Cop Killer

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:08 AM

Yes, it's the feeling of being another person with a different life-story... it lasted a couple weeks for Skyrim, a day or little more with GTA IV, Red Dead was just under a week, and do you know that feeling when you pick up a fps game and it seems new and magical for awhile before you actually know how to play strategically and memorize the maps. This happened to me with battlefield 3 and guess for other people COD Maybe? Definitely Brink, Uncharted (3rd ps I know), and Borderlands. The magic lasted the longest with Borderlands 2. (-:

crisissasix
  • crisissasix

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:02 AM

Two weeks

Lil ski
  • Lil ski

Hawai'i 5-O

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:13 AM

Magic is still cooking here.

So is my SA magic and PC IV magic (if it wasn't for the PC version I wouldn't have a f*ck about the console one after the first play though)

Sunfang
  • Sunfang

Dirty Dingo

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:28 AM

The fire started dying after my 2nd playthrouugh, but GTA:O has fuelled an inferno!

Cyc2u
  • Cyc2u

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

Been a lurker for years as I've been a big GTA fan and this thread made me register. GTA 5, in its current form was an absolute blast to play for one time only buy even then the more you play, you realize it's not all that it was hyped up to be. GTA for me has always been a Single-Player series for me. I never played GTA 4 online and I've only tried GTA online for about an hour and didn't like it. Firstly where the magic was lost is when I realized some of the cool mechanics were only possible in missions and not free roam. I was totally turned off when I couldn't fly that cargo plane in free roam. I was even more disappointed when I realized you can't use the packer truck to transport cars and even when you see car-loaded packers in free roam, you can't off load the cars. It just turns me off severely. Other examples are the boats on the trailers. Even though you see pickup trucks driving around with them, you can't manually put the boat on the trailer. Same goes for the titan. Park an atv in the titan and it bounces about until it explodes killing you (same happened when I put a jet ski on a trailer). Next are the number of interiors in the game. GTA: SA had way more accessible interiors than this game. You could have multiple safe houses etc. What's the point of having so much money if you can only have one safe house or store a max of 6 + one personal car? Also where are the houses with helipads? Where it finally lost the magic for me was the commitment to online at the expense of the SP experience.

Agree. Most of us payed for a SP game. It was billed as such. We ended up getting a online game. Besides the things you mentioned there is also many useless buildings/areas. Military base, prison, casino and horse track are just useless backdrop. They built a huge arena and there is nothing to do except look at it. All them movie posters around town and the game only has 3 total. There are missions like driving a bus to the stops. Why cant we do this in free roam to earn cash? Or ambulance/firetruck challenges. Instead, we get yoga and tennis. Yawn. How come i can enter Tequilala to punch a rocker but cant enter later when i own the place? Why dont i have an office in MY businesses? Lots of weightlifters on the beach with equipment but i have to play 100 rounds of tennis or golf to build strength? Why do the trailers show crop duster missions? Many little things add up to 1 giant fact. This is a online game as far as Rockstar is concerned. Rockstar didnt care much about the SP side of it. Its a beautiful island, ill grant them that. And i dont want to hear about DLC rumors. I already paid for the game. None of them things will be added anyways. DLC will likely cater to the online community.

• Pwnage likes this

beneficial
  • beneficial

Buckwheats

• Members

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:08 PM Edited by beneficial, 16 October 2013 - 04:08 PM.

III, Vice City and SA were magical because they were new at the time and each one added on to the last. SA was especially magic for me because it was set during the time period of my heyday, the 90's.

IV was magical because it was all new physics, story and fully developed city.

RDR was magic because it was the western themed game I had always wanted to play.

V was more of the same to me except the heists and character switching. Online however is retaining that magic for me at least for a while.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users