» «
Photo

How long did the magic last?

90 replies to this topic
mileafly
  • mileafly

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:17 PM Edited by mileafly, 04 October 2013 - 12:19 PM.

I don't know if this is only me, I doubt it. But there are few games that feel truly "magical" when starting to play them if you like me have played games your whole (30 year) life. You know how games work, you know the mechanics behind them. But I have noticed that I have feelt that magical feeling when first playing GTA IV, then Read Dead and now GTA V. 

It is a feeling of not seeing all the mechanics at first, to truly feel like you are in another "living" world. I cant describe it better then that. It does not last forever though. I think it only lasted for max 1 day with Gta IV and Red Dead, but I feelt it for longer with Gta V, maybe strongly for 1-3 days, then it faded out slowly (now over 100 hours later). Do any of you know what I am talking about, and have you experienced it? 

• SamuelBenjamin, Nemecsis and Quinnibis like this

Markitaylor
  • Markitaylor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

Yeah I agree. Red dead felt more awesome at the very start but dwindled quickly. I think V lasts longer because there is so many new things to do later in the game. Especially via strangers and freaks that unlocks hunting etc.

Banana Duck
  • Banana Duck

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

I get what you say. Being thrown into a massive world, completely lost and the feeling of being involved in the city

Sort of like if you gave bambi meth and let it run wild in a zoo, sooner or later... That Meths going to wear off... And that once magical world becomes just "another place"

ClaudeSteed
  • ClaudeSteed

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:39 PM

Well, the magic would last longer if they called the city Storybrooke.

J/K

Magic still going strong here, the environment still manages to amaze me, still keep finding new things and even if im in a well known place, the weather + time of day + random stuff still manages to keep it fresh.

At least for me. GTA 4's magic wore off very fast and I never found the "drive" to finish it.

Here though, there's much more to do. Even a simple dirtpath can provide numerous things. Walking on it in the sunset, riding a bike on it during extreme thunder, or just grabbing my Futo and drift my ass off.

No, this is to me what Disneyland is to kids. :)

Raavi
  • Raavi

Z

• European-Union
  • Best Moderator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:42 PM Edited by Raavi, 04 October 2013 - 02:02 PM.

It didn't.
  • Ferocious Banger likes this

Lanzfeld113
  • Lanzfeld113

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

Where I saw for myself all the stuff that got cut (with respect to roleplaying a cop) the magic, unfortunately, died very fast.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

It didn't.

Yep. The game lacks the aura of say, RDR and GTA IV.

• im_stoned likes this

don ovdi' island
  • don ovdi' island

дрэдлоксъ

• Members
  • Ethiopia

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

Once I grew up things dont exactly have the same effect on me. Gta Vice City and San Andreas had a special place in my heart because i was young when i got those games. I havent felt special by a video game in years, much like holiday season.
  • Ferocious Banger, carnage., Kent_Paul_Jnr and 1 other like this

mvandor
  • mvandor

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 02:58 PM

I've played through twice, now I'm bored stiff. Thought this game would have more shelf life honestly, but what's left after beating the game and assassination missions is truly dull. I found myself just getting in gun battles out of boredom to see if I could find a location where I had enough protection to take on buku cops (back of the hangar is great at the major airport, they can't get you). Want to wipe out gangs in free roam, but the cops seem to take offense and come after you big time. Or in cases where you help them when they're taking down bad guys they turn on you.

Ready to set this game aside already until online is smooth or SP DLC releases. Rather disappointed to be honest, expected more run outa this one.

• BettyBlueGT likes this

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:03 PM

The magic just isn't there this time for me. I don't get why either. There's just something not right and I think it's many things together.

• Peregrin Brandytook and rrocks like this

King Kapone
  • King Kapone

x N i g h t c a l l

• The Connection

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:26 PM Edited by King Kapone, 04 October 2013 - 03:26 PM.

The magic isn't lasting because you set your hopes way too high. Unrealistically high at that. I am still having a blast with this game because I accept it for what it is, a new release in the GTA series. Red Dead had such an impact on all of us because it was significantly different. Maybe the next Rockstar game will take us on an entirely new adventure and you'll cream your drawers again but jeez, stop beating yourselves up about this and enjoy the game for what it is, GTA in a high definition Los Santos.

How much after completing Vice City, and owning all of the businesses, did you all really play that game for? If I recall correctly, this forum was just as bored with that game and everyone was scrambling around for a decent PC because of how the modding community breathed new life into it many months later.

The same thing will happen here. If V is released for PC, the modding community will answer the call once again. You'll access all the interiors you want, practically stitch together your wardrobe to your heart's content and roleplay as a cop or whatever it is you want to do and then I guarantee the day will still come when you get bored.

Put the game down for a day or two and return to it. You'll appreciate it again.

• Tuff Luv Capo and QuietSundayLibrary like this

Banana Duck
  • Banana Duck

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

Once I grew up things dont exactly have the same effect on me. Gta Vice City and San Andreas had a special place in my heart because i was young when i got those games. I havent felt special by a video game in years, much like holiday season.

This so much ^ I never get that "lost" feeling anymore in new games (I good sense of lost) San Andreas was like a giant playground that took me ages to understand

Kent_Paul_Jnr
  • Kent_Paul_Jnr

lets bounce

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 03:47 PM

This so much ^ I never get that "lost" feeling anymore in new games (I good sense of lost) San Andreas was like a giant playground that took me ages to understand

Same here.

The series is losing its way though - maybe someone at the company left and they took that feeling with them and thats why IV and V have lost something .... GTA is a brand now - and it shows

carnage.
  • carnage.

What color do you bleed?

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:28 PM

:^:

PolishPrisoner
  • PolishPrisoner

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

I think what the OP is describing is that feeling of "novelty," something new and unexperienced.  After a while, you get used to the thing, and the feeling of novelty wears off. 

PolishPrisoner
  • PolishPrisoner

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:32 PM

That being said, good games like this always retain their charm even after the novelty wears off. 

• Markitaylor and Quinnibis like this

MurdocisGod1990
  • MurdocisGod1990

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

Yesterday was the first day since release that I didn't play it. It's already starting to lose me  :whuh:

• decon954 likes this

l911
  • l911

ⒶⓌⒺⓈⓄⓂⒺ

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:40 PM

i totaly understand what you mean, i remmember the magic first playing GTA 2 it was incredible to discover this world and destroying it :-)

Dont know about you all but when i first played GTA V I felt lost and a little overwhelmed in a good way.

Cutter De Blanc
  • Cutter De Blanc

Cheat Activated

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:45 PM

Magic died when the patch broke my game.

Banana Duck
  • Banana Duck

Playa

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

Magic died when the patch broke my game.

That's another thing, I've never known a R* game to corrupt files and such :(

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

"The chickens are plotting..."

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [Advice with girlfriends]

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

Magic to me is how when each new GTA comes out I was afraid to do anything wrong or get into a police battle because the world was so surreal.

Gouveia
  • Gouveia

#YardOn

• The Yardies
  • Brazil

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

50 hours later, it still seems magical to me. I'm not even counting online mode.

lazedout
  • lazedout

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

Havent played the game in at least a week. Haven't even tried GTAO yet.

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Dump 2016

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most GIFted Member
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

I'll tell you when it runs out.

GUCCI_MANE_PIZZA_PARTY
  • GUCCI_MANE_PIZZA_PARTY

I'm a little scared of being a slut.

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:14 PM

If I take some DXM, I'll become sucked into the game, and become fascinated by the Mexicans who run illegal races and hang out at the Los Santos river. Other than that, I find myself playing around for like ten minutes, dying, then coming back maybe two hours later

loudanddumb
  • loudanddumb

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:28 PM

the first play thru... then it faded away 

LC 44
  • LC 44

Mark Chump

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

I don't know if this is only me, I doubt it. But there are few games that feel truly "magical" when starting to play them if you like me have played games your whole (30 year) life. You know how games work, you know the mechanics behind them. But I have noticed that I have feelt that magical feeling when first playing GTA IV, then Read Dead and now GTA V. 

It is a feeling of not seeing all the mechanics at first, to truly feel like you are in another "living" world. I cant describe it better then that. It does not last forever though. I think it only lasted for max 1 day with Gta IV and Red Dead, but I feelt it for longer with Gta V, maybe strongly for 1-3 days, then it faded out slowly (now over 100 hours later). Do any of you know what I am talking about, and have you experienced it? 

I live in Colorado, I grew up here, and playing Red Dead, and GTAV a lot of it really hit close to home for me. Obviously we don't have an ocean here (which blew me away when I saw it in GTA v). However, in Colorado the wild west is part of our culture, so playing Red Dead, a lot of the environments are just a drive from where I live. We have mountains, plains, old towns, desert areas, and if really wanted to, Arizona & New Mexico are less than a days drive away.

In GTAV, driving on the highway into mountain country I felt like I was driving on I-70 into the mountains

lincolnimp
  • lincolnimp

OG Playa

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

Still love the scenery and now I have realised all the radio stations are terrible (and have turned music off), loving the engine sounds !!

mileafly
  • mileafly

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:56 AM Edited by mileafly, 05 October 2013 - 12:56 AM.

Yes, the radio music is my biggest complaint about the game. Most tracks are just annoying. And I would love to be able to adjust the volume of the radio up and down in realtime. The ambient track on missions are awesome though. Love the style, very simple but effective, sounds like same guys who made the Max Payne 3 soundtrack.

Btw, one thing that makes GTA IV, Red Dead and GTA V feel so dynamic and real is the euphoria physics engine on characters. I dont know if many people know this, but that is so many miles ahead of the competiton when using that. I cant ever go back to regular stiff animations. If you dont know what it is here is an explenation: http://en.wikipedia....oria_(software)  (short answer is that it is a dynamic animation system, real body physics, instead of pre made animations)

I dont know why other games dont use it, maybe its expensive. Its so damn cool though how the characters react to getting shoot and everything, I even saw an enemey who got shot in the leg fall over and by mistake fired off his shotgun and killed himself. 

Jako98146
  • Jako98146

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:07 AM

For me, it usually wears off a little before I beat a game

But with R* games, I keep the magic until after my 1st/2nd playthrough

2nd with GTA IV

2nd with GTA SA

1st with RDR

Haven't even beat GTA V the world is so engrossing

1 user(s) are reading this topic