Photo

GTA Online has a terrible community so far

243 replies to this topic
madicea13
  • madicea13

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

Funnily, the ones that don't want to be killed in FREEmode are probably the ones that wish the game was more realistic. 

SetPixels
  • SetPixels

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

I signed up to this forum to discuss why everyone in GTAV Online is an a-hole.

I'm well (*cough) into my 30s and have been playing games since forever. One of the first games I played online against others was Doom 2 over BBS. It wasn't easy to set up a game, but it was incredible fun. I was hooked. Since then, I've been a pretty avid online gamer. Some games lend themselves to deathmatch and vs and mindless killing, while other games lend themselves to teamwork and co-op.

This game seems to hit both angles - or at least attract both types of gamer. I see the freeroam as more of a lobby than anything else. It's a really innovative idea and it could work really well. However, as a community sandbox world lobby, you get to see how people behave in a sandbox... and it turns out it's disgusting.

People are absolutely awful. That said, I've had a couple of decent experiences. I have been going around trying to help people in freeroam. Sometimes, I grab a helicopter and fly around trying to pick up lost souls. I've tried to pick up some folks sloshing through the swamps south of the military base, and they stood and watched me hesitantly descend and then they just went ahead and shot me dead and blew up the chopper. When I first spawned, they shot me again.

When I spawned again, I killed them both and took the jeep they were about to escape in (and then killed them both again for good measure) - drove it around the base and busted in and boosted a fighter jet. I'd like to say I then launched rockets at them, but they both logged off by the time I got my wanted level to go away.

It wasn't just that instance - numerous times I dropped in with a helicopter and got shot to death or shot at. Only once was I able to get someone to hop in and go for a ride. Slightly better success rates with picking up strangers in cars, but still a vast majority of failures (meaning getting shot dead or shot at). I don't shoot first - I just roll (or fly) up and wait to see what the other person does (I honk if I'm in a car).

Oddly enough, whenever I've landed a fighter jet at the airport or air field or dog track or freeway - everyone stays the hell away from me - I'm basically offering someone else a free jet.

Now I'll admit part of this must be my fault because I don't use a headset. I stopped using a headset online back in the Rain bow Six days when I realized most of the people I was playing with still had undescended testicles. I don't like children first of all - especially other people's children - and especially children of crappy parents who let their children play adult video games... Not only that, but these children of awful parents just have the absolute worst sportsmanship. They are the absolute worst - but most of all, their sqeaky kid voices simply just grind on my last nerve.

I suppose if I had a headset and could communicate "hey dude, don't shoot me - I just want to go raid the army base with you and hook you up with a jet and we can dogfight or something," then my experience might be a little better - but I still think the nature of people given the choices to work together as a team or a group or to just kill everyone indiscriminantly - most people playing GTA Online right now would pick the latter.

You XBOx or PS3?

I'm on 360.

SetPixels
  • SetPixels

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

Funnily, the ones that don't want to be killed in FREEmode are probably the ones that wish the game was more realistic. 

I don't mind the occasional freemode battle or murder spree if that's the vibe, but people are just really rude. A lot of "shoot first and then keep shooting more." - Even when it's pretty obvious someone isn't posing a threat and trying to offer up some help. It's a really low-brow approach to a beautifully crafted game and world. I picture these people as dumb idiots or children or the type of people who get most of their meals from a drive through window.

Valdrane
  • Valdrane

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:31 PM

I signed up to this forum to discuss why everyone in GTAV Online is an a-hole.

I'm well (*cough) into my 30s and have been playing games since forever. One of the first games I played online against others was Doom 2 over BBS. It wasn't easy to set up a game, but it was incredible fun. I was hooked. Since then, I've been a pretty avid online gamer. Some games lend themselves to deathmatch and vs and mindless killing, while other games lend themselves to teamwork and co-op.

This game seems to hit both angles - or at least attract both types of gamer. I see the freeroam as more of a lobby than anything else. It's a really innovative idea and it could work really well. However, as a community sandbox world lobby, you get to see how people behave in a sandbox... and it turns out it's disgusting.

People are absolutely awful. That said, I've had a couple of decent experiences. I have been going around trying to help people in freeroam. Sometimes, I grab a helicopter and fly around trying to pick up lost souls. I've tried to pick up some folks sloshing through the swamps south of the military base, and they stood and watched me hesitantly descend and then they just went ahead and shot me dead and blew up the chopper. When I first spawned, they shot me again.

When I spawned again, I killed them both and took the jeep they were about to escape in (and then killed them both again for good measure) - drove it around the base and busted in and boosted a fighter jet. I'd like to say I then launched rockets at them, but they both logged off by the time I got my wanted level to go away.

It wasn't just that instance - numerous times I dropped in with a helicopter and got shot to death or shot at. Only once was I able to get someone to hop in and go for a ride. Slightly better success rates with picking up strangers in cars, but still a vast majority of failures (meaning getting shot dead or shot at). I don't shoot first - I just roll (or fly) up and wait to see what the other person does (I honk if I'm in a car).

Oddly enough, whenever I've landed a fighter jet at the airport or air field or dog track or freeway - everyone stays the hell away from me - I'm basically offering someone else a free jet.

Now I'll admit part of this must be my fault because I don't use a headset. I stopped using a headset online back in the Rain bow Six days when I realized most of the people I was playing with still had undescended testicles. I don't like children first of all - especially other people's children - and especially children of crappy parents who let their children play adult video games... Not only that, but these children of awful parents just have the absolute worst sportsmanship. They are the absolute worst - but most of all, their sqeaky kid voices simply just grind on my last nerve.

I suppose if I had a headset and could communicate "hey dude, don't shoot me - I just want to go raid the army base with you and hook you up with a jet and we can dogfight or something," then my experience might be a little better - but I still think the nature of people given the choices to work together as a team or a group or to just kill everyone indiscriminantly - most people playing GTA Online right now would pick the latter.

You XBOx or PS3?

I'm on 360.

Sent you a message.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users