Quantcast

» «
Photo

Does it really deserve to be called Grand Theft Auto 5?

121 replies to this topic
killahmatic
  • killahmatic

JB

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:51 AM Edited by killahmatic, 04 October 2013 - 04:53 AM.

Since 2001, Rockstar reserved the numbered titles for massive leaps in quality

I don't agree with that. San Andreas was one of the hugest leaps in the series, and while you said after 2001, and also while I admittedly haven't played more than 10 minutes of 1 or 2, I didn't see a massive leap between the two games.

That's just the excuse that was given when deciding IV would be IV. 

So I don't see numbered games having any relation to the difference in quality. So, yes V deserves to be called V, just as much as every other game was titled what they were titled, because its only a game title.

J Hater
  • J Hater

Crows

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:57 AM

If you think GTA 5 is the wrong name than Saints Row 4 should be called Saints Row 3.1

AlmightySo
  • AlmightySo

Professional Hustler

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:10 AM

I agree.  It should be GTA: Los Santos, or something to that effect.  It's even running the same graphical engine and interface as GTA4 (with improvements obviously).

Wrong on both accounts. It is a brand new graphical engine. New interface. I'd say you should get there facts straight...

TeCNeEk
  • TeCNeEk

GTA Legend

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:19 AM

YES. It craps all over GTA IV. It's a massive upgrade. "V" is warranted.

ca5ualty2012
  • ca5ualty2012

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

no its gta4.5 gta 4 with all the mods the users made released official on the xbox in some ways its a huge improvement but not enough especially the shooting mechanics they are just horrible still 

way to clunky most of the in game features trick your mind the way it loads cars and traffic are better but that's just a mod not really anything new 

RightfulReaper
  • RightfulReaper

FReaper

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:24 AM

f*ck you GTA V is f*cking awesome, besides from a few glitches and sh*t, online sucks so far extreme glitches, but single player is what its all about!!! thge best possible single player open world games ever!

Silent Dogwood
  • Silent Dogwood

Genuine Wole

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:24 AM

The leap between 1 and 2 wasn't that big. Kinda identical actually.

But think about it like this. V is the first to introduce three protagonists. That's a big move. Not to mention that we've had a GTA in the middle of IV and V (Chinatown Wars, which was a highly underrated game).

I think there was 5-6 years between III and IV, so it makes sense to move on to the next.

Silent Dogwood
  • Silent Dogwood

Genuine Wole

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:25 AM

Plus, there's only so much you can do with the technology. Even if it were to be on next gen consoles, you've seen the lineup. Face it, but we're starting to reach the pinnacle of what modern gaming machines can generate. Of course we can always get better in small amounts here and there, but you're never gonna see a leap like you did from III to IV.

mikeinthahouse
  • mikeinthahouse

Rockford Hills Resident

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:26 AM

If 3 f*cking characters, tons of vechicles, lots of country side with explorarable ocean and so on aren't enough to classify a new numeral, I don't know what is.
  • DeafMetal likes this

RamiV2
  • RamiV2

Muscle Car Lover

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:27 AM

yea GTA Los Santos wouldve been more suitable.

Rockstar(failstar) just wanted to hype the sh*t out of it and get more $$$ and call it something better.

How is calling a GTA game "Five" going to hype the game more? It was hyped because it's a GTA title & because the game was a giant step forward from GTA IV. To me, GTA: Los Santos sounds stupid & cheap. It's not just in LS, it's also Blaine County. Derp.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:47 AM

Ofc it does. It introduced character switching, which is a huge gameplay mechanic.

RonBWL
  • RonBWL

Brave Wholeheartedly Loser

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:02 AM Edited by RonBWL, 04 October 2013 - 06:04 AM.

People who don't see the meaning of this thread...

The problem is not questioning the game for the sake of questioning the game. 

The problem is that Rockstar stated years ago that within each new generation the opening game is supposed to be revolutionary. So the leap from II to III was huge because it introduced 3D gaming, third person view, etc...

And the leap from III was also huge because of HD and physic and such...

The leap from IV to V wasn't as big as it was supposed to wich is preety much a very pertinent view and legit discuss. The leap from IV to V was like VC to SA, wich makes wonder if it shouldn't be called GTA IV: Los Santos or so... 

Since when did they CLAIM V to be an OPENING GAME?

And it's been stated clearly that V is part of HD Universe so certain character returns - that makes sense, because IV and V are in the same timeline with (nearly) identical graphics. The reason it's called V is simply because IV era has ended with TLaD, TBoGT and Chinatown War, plus it wouldn't make sense to call it GTA Los Santos ('cause we have Blaine County as well)

gizz01
  • gizz01

SpudGun

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:46 AM

Is this question really up for debate? I duno what u guys expect really I dont... never happy its always sh*t no matter you get

A lot of you are going to have very difficult lives.....

unbelievable!

grayborders
  • grayborders

Snitch

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

You want 1 game each generation? wtf you expect of this 7 yrs old medicore hardware? FFS..... and what can you innovate at this point? you do realise its not just graphics that consume hardware, all calculations do, and i diont see you comming up with grand ideas.

BabeRuth
  • BabeRuth

Bronx Bombers Stadium

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

I look at gta iv and I see three stories they told again; now we get to V and three stories are in it, so I have concluded that they like to work it groups of three instead of graphical leaps.

Do you think they might eventually change it to 4 or keep it as 3?

Shiggy
  • Shiggy

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:14 AM

I'd that the graphical and animation improvements are more than enough to warrant the "V", not that it even matters.

Really though, I decided to dust off my copy of GTA IV last night and give it another go in LC, but the game doesn't look nearly as good as I remembered. Especially the animation, it's incredibly jerky and almost robotic when running or firing a weapon. It feels like some of you are grasping at straws here, you can bitch and moan all you want but this is still one of the best games released on this generation of consoles.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:21 AM

i agree in a way but gta los santos sounds horrible gta 5 is a good Marketing name ps IV sh*ts On V  

caseclosedjk
  • caseclosedjk

Forum Bastard

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:22 AM Edited by caseclosedjk, 04 October 2013 - 10:24 AM.

While V is bigger and has much better graphics than IV, this is simply the sanandreas of the HD era.

V should of been GTA: Los Santos. Rockstar should of made the number entrees for each new platform gen. 

(Example:

III: PS2 era

IV: PS3 Era

V: PS4 Era

VI: PS5 Era

Etc)

It just feels weird...

Oh well. I don't care what they do, as long as they never make a game like Chinatown Wars again. *Shutters*

gizz01
  • gizz01

SpudGun

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

You want 1 game each generation? wtf you expect of this 7 yrs old medicore hardware? FFS..... and what can you innovate at this point? you do realise its not just graphics that consume hardware, all calculations do, and i diont see you comming up with grand ideas.

The truth is m8 is that they want something to substitute RL, these people are never happy, you only have to pop on youtube to see millions of vids of ass hats screaming and going insane because someone else in the house is also using the internet, world has gone mad my friend...

No matter what devs put out there now these people instantly play the "it sucks" card...

No wonder devs dont listen to the playerbase I wouldn't either, the little pricks always scream loudest, I know if I had been on the devteam of this game I would be proud to say I played a part in such a grate title, then to see the posts and comments on these forums? Their sad people with nothing in their pathetic lives and want a game to fill the void.... sad really...

When you meet these people in RL, they are even more useless, all they know is anger, whining and I want I want.... they think the world owes them something when they contribute nothing....

Goverments around the world need to start building a LOT of cheap housing because in 10 years the world is going to filled to the rafters with cheap beer swilling bums claiming off the state

dooshtoomun
  • dooshtoomun

Thug

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

Yeah that's what I thought as well. I liked it better when each number was a massive jump from generation to generation. V improved on a lot from IV, but does it really deserve a whole new number? I don't think so.

But then again, this might just be our nit picking.

VALDE85
  • VALDE85

CLASSIC CONTROLS BACK

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:36 PM

IT´S WATCH YOUR ASS AUTO NOW.
THEY DON´T LET YOU RAMPAGE.
BUT THEY FEATURE THE MISSION OF TORTURE THE DARK-SKINNED GUY, RIGHT)
THEY WERE SO BUSY WITH THE SCENERY AND THE "REALISM"
THAT THEY FORGOT WHAT GTA IS ABOUT
DON´T GIVE A f*ck IF LEAVES FROM TREES MOVE WITH THE WIND.

CAN´T BELIEVE I´M WAITING FOR GRANTURISMO 6 TO COME OUT WITH THIS GAME NEARLY PLAYED.
CLASSIC CONTROLS  BACK.
COPS TOOSMART & HAPPY TRIGGERED.

THEIR CARS ARE ROCKETS.
PLAYER IS TOO WEAK.(JUMP A WALL, AND IF IT´S TOO HIGH
IT JUST BREAKS HIS HEAD AGAINST IT)
FEWER KEVLAR THAN EVER
TOO MUCH CAR CRASH DEATH.
THE CARS ARE RUINED AFTER JUST 2 GOOD CRASHES.( EVEN THE TOUGHEST)
CARS DISSAPEAR.
BIGGER GARAGES, PARKING LOTS,WHATEVER
CAN´T EVEN ENTER IN YOUR PROPERTIES
NO 6 STAR WANTED LEVEL
2147 MILLION ( WITH LESTER MISSIONS STOCK STRATEGY) AND...
NO HOUSES TO BUY( SHOULD HAVE 1 IN EACH PLACE OF THE MAP,
IN THE MOUNTAINS, IN THE HILLS, IN THE BEACH...)
NO COMPANIES TO BUY ( AND COULD BE A LOT )
NOTHING IN THE SEA ( AN OILRIG, SOME ISLAND WITH A NICE HOUSE...)
NO TRAIN MISSIONS ( OR DRIVING ).
NO PARAMEDIC MISSIONS.
NO POLICE MISSIONS!!!!
NO FIREMEN MISSIONS.
NO LORRY MISSIONS.
NO PIMP MISSIONS.
NO LOWRIDER STUFF.
NO GANG WARS.
NO MR.WHOOPEE CRACKSELLING MISSIONS.
NO FLAMETHROWER
NO NITROUS.
NO TIRESMOKE ( RIDICULOUS )
NO RACING EXHAUST FOR SUPERCARS?
NO SPEEDOMETER ( NEVER ).
TOPSPEED OF SUPERS AND BIKES IS sh*t.
THEY TAKE THE MONEY AND YOU DON´T GET THE BOATS OR CHOPPERS.
BUZZARD IS f*ckING CRAP .
TANK IS USELESS.
GO OFFROAD AND THE CAR IS FINISHED IN A MINUTE.
THE CAMERA LOOPS WITH THE PLANE.
THE NOSE CAR CAMERA IS NOW USELESS.

ShadowDog94
  • ShadowDog94

Gaming since '94

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:44 PM

San Andreas was the true GTA V.

VALDE85
  • VALDE85

CLASSIC CONTROLS BACK

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:45 PM

TONS AND TONS OF VEHICLES AND GREAT VEHICLES FOR REAL BUT YOU HAVE TO TURN THE PS3 OFF AND TURN ON AGAIN FOR THEM TO CHANGE. LET THE PS3 ON FOR AN HOUR WITHOUT PLAYING WHILE DOING OTHER STUFF AND JUST LAND ROVERS, LAMPADATTIS AND SOME BUSES AND CABS THAT´S IT. THIS IS NOT NEW OF COURSE, BUT IT´S A SHAME. GOT THE BOBCAT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 20 DAYS PLAYING, TUNE IT UP, PUT INTO MICHAEL´S GARAGE AND ONE MINUTE LATER IT WAS GONE AFTER GOING ALL THE WAY DOWN FROM PALETO BAY WITH IT

VALDE85
  • VALDE85

CLASSIC CONTROLS BACK

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:46 PM

HOES MAKE GREAT BLOWJOBS IN THIS AT LEAST HEHE

Fyttirakkern
  • Fyttirakkern

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

I think a lot is changed from IV, especially the three protagonists perspective making it worth it. Vice City and San Andreas was only two years apart, but IV and V is 5 and a half years apart. 

Ablackhat
  • Ablackhat

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:08 AM

I'm only kidding with the PC/console comparisons guys :lol:

I stand by my OP though, by usual Rockstar logic, IV and V should be different universes too.

good luck trying to buy a PC for 500£ that sh*ts over next-gen consoles... maybe in 2-3 years ;)

Lol, you can do that quite easily at the moment, consoles no longer surpass most mid range PC's at launch anymore.

Ok than try to get a graphic card similiar to the one in a ps4, 8 gb ram, 8 core processor, a decent 500gb HDD (this ones are cheap I admit) and all the other stuff that you have to buy for a PC like the case for 500£...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1LHSl

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:17 AM Edited by jamieleng, 07 October 2013 - 12:23 AM.

The graphics in GTA V are a lot better than they were in GTA IV.

So, i don't know what game you're playing, but it's a lot better than it's predecessors and has improved a lot.

GTA-IV-mod.jpggrand-theft-auto-five-628.jpg

cool story bro

Don't edit out the guy's first paragraph, in an attempt to make him look stupid. 

Not only are you comparing a PC version to a console version, you're comparing a modded PC version to an unfinished console version. 

madicea13
  • madicea13

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:20 AM

maybe it should be called just GTA Online because that is the only thing people seem to care about now. 

KillaDanny
  • KillaDanny

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:46 AM Edited by KillaDanny, 07 October 2013 - 12:53 AM.

I'm only kidding with the PC/console comparisons guys :lol:

I stand by my OP though, by usual Rockstar logic, IV and V should be different universes too.

good luck trying to buy a PC for 500£ that sh*ts over next-gen consoles... maybe in 2-3 years ;)

Lol, you can do that quite easily at the moment, consoles no longer surpass most mid range PC's at launch anymore.

Ok than try to get a graphic card similiar to the one in a ps4, 8 gb ram, 8 core processor, a decent 500gb HDD (this ones are cheap I admit) and all the other stuff that you have to buy for a PC like the case for 500£...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1LHSl

That graphic card (GTX660) has 1.81 Teraflops but you'll need at least a 3.68 Teraflops graphic card to match the GPU in the PS4 which means you'll need a much better (and more expensive) graphic card than the GTX660... funny cause the TFLOP diffrence between the PS4 GPU and the GTX 660 is almost double therefore if you buy two GTX660 you are able to get the same power as the PS4 GPU

Oh and the ps4 will cost 349£ and not 500£ as I stated so it's more fair trying to build a PC with the same power as a PS4 for 349£ (which is basically impossible)

jongameslap
  • jongameslap

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:57 AM

Grand Theft Auto V is an extremely ambitious game; the game is really complex on a technical level, and that's something I appreciate. It was delivered by an experienced team of dedicated developers who have learned how to properly use and manipulate current-gen hardware to create massively ambitious game titles - their games continue to get better and better, which should be expected from a games developer, and with GTA V, they've done that and more, so I'm pleased.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users