Quantcast

» «
Photo

Please read! Your character was not deleted.

64 replies to this topic
Itislupus
  • Itislupus

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:19 PM

As the number of "my character was deleted, Again!" threads has been on the rise, I count 4 on the front page as of this posting, I thought I would restate rockstar's comment on the situation

First off. Your character was not deleted. It may appear it has, but fear not. Your character is still there.

Rockstar explained that this is due to them bringing more servers online and the data has not been synced between the established servers and the new ones.

If you created a new character in the same spot as your character that was "deleted" contact Rockstar, they can recover the character for you, "on a per player basis"

PRV-SCHOONERS
  • PRV-SCHOONERS

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:20 PM

yeah and your character isn't deleted if the rockstar cloud isn't open. It just never saved

aR2k
  • aR2k

Playa

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:23 PM

THanks for that, its exactly what i assumed would be the problem, but im glad its confirmed.

Ive just experienced leaving a slot open for days, never to have it return, thats why I was starting to doubt my own assessment of the situation

Jetpack5000
  • Jetpack5000

I GOT IT

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:23 PM Edited by Jetpack5000, 03 October 2013 - 08:24 PM.

Rockstar support said something different to me... but ok

OK.... 

poker_face_rage_face_meme_flyer-p2448484ok....

ok....

Ok....

• r991 and Dexter_The_Drunk like this

JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

Griefer? Better Call Saul!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:24 PM Edited by JustOneMonth, 03 October 2013 - 08:24 PM.

Sure, because they will get my character back. They deleted 3 of my characters. They cant get back because there are only 2 character slots.

Saving never existed, so they havent got deleted, R* released a broken game. GREAT!

smokey__
  • smokey__

High Hopes

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:25 PM

As the number of "my character was deleted, Again!" threads has been on the rise, I count 4 on the front page as of this posting, I thought I would restate rockstar's comment on the situation

First off. Your character was not deleted. It may appear it has, but fear not. Your character is still there.

Rockstar explained that this is due to them bringing more servers online and the data has not been synced between the established servers and the new ones.

If you created a new character in the same spot as your character that was "deleted" contact Rockstar, they can recover the character for you, "on a per player basis"

Source???

PRV-SCHOONERS
  • PRV-SCHOONERS

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:30 PM

Sure, because they will get my character back. They deleted 3 of my characters. They cant get back because there are only 2 character slots.

Saving never existed, so they havent got deleted, R* released a broken game. GREAT!

Its not broken its just the servers. In about 3 weeks everyone will forget about all of this because the servers will be fixed

PRV-SCHOONERS
  • PRV-SCHOONERS

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:33 PM Edited by PRV-SCHOONERS, 03 October 2013 - 08:34 PM.

Source???

In a way this happened to me. I created my character and it saved to my cloud. Then it froze and I restarted gta v and had to create a new character (when the cloud wasn't working) and it froze again and when I clicked on character select it was my original character.

Hallgarth
  • Hallgarth

Prankster

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

This is why there should be a local save, and the cloud should only be updated, not be your primary save. It's stupid and risky. A lot of people out there will assume that just because the character slots are empty that it's gone forever and no return. and will simply make a new one, overwriting the old one.

Right now, my character is gone, but I still have the 32k in the bank. I hope he returns, I'll see tomorrow now as I've had enough for tonight.

morphpogo
  • morphpogo

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

I have opened a ticket with them now. So according to you, they should reinstate my character. Will see what they answer. I am wondering what character they will reinstate since no character made it past race 1 so far and all keep getting deleted since day 1.

aR2k
  • aR2k

Playa

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

Source???

In a way this happened to me. I created my character and it saved to my cloud. Then it froze and I restarted gta v and had to create a new character (when the cloud wasn't working) and it froze again and when I clicked on character select it was my original character.

Well for you the cloud system seems to be "working", in a way.

In the beginning when this happened to me, my temp char would just vanish when the cloud came up again, but my original character would not. In fact, in the past 3 days ive made several characters, in  both slots, ive tried not touching slot 1, one day, and waited a whole day.... and then ive done the same with slot 2 the next day. NEVER have any characters reappeared in any of the slots ive left alone. so far.

PRV-SCHOONERS
  • PRV-SCHOONERS

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:36 PM

This is why there should be a local save, and the cloud should only be updated, not be your primary save. It's stupid and risky. A lot of people out there will assume that just because the character slots are empty that it's gone forever and no return. and will simply make a new one, overwriting the old one.

Right now, my character is gone, but I still have the 32k in the bank. I hope he returns, I'll see tomorrow now as I've had enough for tonight.

I wish they did it that way. For example on ps3 your gta online character database is located at saved data and not the cloud.

PRV-SCHOONERS
  • PRV-SCHOONERS

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

Source???

Well for you the cloud system seems to be "working", in a way.

In the beginning when this happened to me, my temp char would just vanish when the cloud came up again, but my original character would not. In fact, in the past 3 days ive made several characters, in  both slots, ive tried not touching slot 1, one day, and waited a whole day.... and then ive done the same with slot 2 the next day. NEVER have any characters reappeared in any of the slots ive left alone. so far.

Well we can all agree on one thing and that is this is complete bull sh*t

Napalmbrain
  • Napalmbrain

What is Buzz?

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:37 PM

Are you making this sh*t up? Post a link to a source with R* saying anything like this. As far as I know they haven't said JACK sh*t about it.

That's is what is pissing me off the most. However, if you provide proof that they said this, I would be less pissed.

rog1234
  • rog1234

CONVERGE

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:37 PM Edited by rog1234, 03 October 2013 - 08:39 PM.

The cloud is very random... sometimes I lose everything, sometimes I can still see my banked money, sometimes the crew I'm in doesn't show up... but my 1st character from the 1st slot never showed up agan. Still, I was making all the new ones on slot 2, so I hope I'll get it back. 

It would have been much cooler if we, for example, would have our characters both on the consoles and the cloud - and it would just verify the match between them, and if it couldn't, it would not connect... I'm no IT expert or a programmer, but sounds faaar more... logical. 

PRV-SCHOONERS
  • PRV-SCHOONERS

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

has anyone made it past race one yet???

PRV-SCHOONERS
  • PRV-SCHOONERS

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:40 PM

Are you making this sh*t up? Post a link to a source with R* saying anything like this. As far as I know they haven't said JACK sh*t about it.

That's is what is pissing me off the most. However, if you provide proof that they said this, I would be less pissed.

Here is a source i found

http://www.ign.com/a...rockstar-speaks

PRV-SCHOONERS
  • PRV-SCHOONERS

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:43 PM Edited by PRV-SCHOONERS, 03 October 2013 - 08:43 PM.

According to something i read on ign.com it says

" Others reported having luck by selecting "Swap Character" from the Online tab within the pause menu, deleting the character that was unable to get into the tutorial, and then creating a new character. Some who were experiencing this issue have been able to get in just by trying again later."

I hope this helps

aR2k
  • aR2k

Playa

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:43 PM Edited by aR2k, 03 October 2013 - 08:46 PM.

The cloud is very random... sometimes I lose everything, sometimes I can still see my banked money, sometimes the crew I'm in doesn't show up... but my 1st character from the 1st slot never showed up agan. Still, I was making all the new ones on slot 2, so I hope I'll get it back. 

It would have been much cooler if we, for example, would have our characters both on the consoles and the cloud - and it would just verify the match between them, and if it couldn't, it would not connect... I'm no IT expert or a programmer, but sounds faaar more... logical. 

It is more logical, and its usually how its done.

When you connect to the cloud, it will either check if the console save has a newer date, if it does not, it will overwrite it, if it has, it will upload that one to the cloud, and THEN start the game from the newest save.

However GTAO is not done that way, I can only assume its because they want to avoid tampering with the save files or reduce the chance of 3rd party software (which is devestating to a game where people can buy stuff for money)

It is funny when people complain about stuff like this, "Why didnt they do this, or why didnt they do that, when coding the game).

Im a programmer myself and I could probably only dream of beeing as good as the people coding GTAO. If they have made a decission, its usually a damn good reason for it

• Jersey likes this

morphpogo
  • morphpogo

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

Here is a source i found

That source doesn't say or confirm anything the OP said.

PRV-SCHOONERS
  • PRV-SCHOONERS

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

Here is a source i found

That source doesn't say or confirm anything the OP said.

Yeah but it says what R* has said

rog1234
  • rog1234

CONVERGE

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

It is more logical, and its usually how its done.

When you connect to the cloud, it will either check if the console save has a newer date, if it does not, it will overwrite it, if it has, it will upload that one to the cloud, and THEN start the game from the newest save.

However GTAO is not done that way, I can only assume its because they want to avoid tampering with the save files or reduce the chance of 3rd party software (which is devestating to a game where people can buy stuff for money)

Yeah, I thought about that GTA$ purchase issue... well, we'll just have to wait. Even though all that waiting and failing to play makes me less and less interested in GTAO. 

BTW, seeing this makes me seriously worried about that "next-gen cloud gaming" stuff that I've read about here and there. 

ActionBronson
  • ActionBronson

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

Well I lost my first character in slot one the first night and for the past two days I recreated 4 separate characters in the second slot and the first character has never returned. Saved on the cloud my ass...

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

"Jesus Christ Lamar, you gotta stop talkin'!"

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:47 PM

hp-sauce_1318716c.jpg

SpidersWeb
  • SpidersWeb

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:48 PM Edited by SpidersWeb, 03 October 2013 - 08:49 PM.

Doesn't matter. The OP, like myself, has just been applying common sense and watching threads on here.

If you chose not to beleive him that's fine.

Personally to ensure it's saved properly to the cloud what I do is before exiting, I switch to Michael or Trevor or Franklin and force a cloud save. I'm not sure if it helps, but it makes me feel better.

eck340
  • eck340

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:48 PM Edited by eck340, 03 October 2013 - 08:49 PM.

Here is a source i found

This has nothing to do with what we are talking about dude .... 

I hope rockstar will make an official statement about this sh*t . 

I cant truly believe what the op is saying since there is no source or no proof . 

:(

Personally to ensure it's saved properly to the cloud what I do is before exiting, I switch to Michael or Trevor or Franklin and force a cloud save. I'm not sure if it helps, but it makes me feel better.

I do this eveyrtime but my stuff get deleted anyway . 

aR2k
  • aR2k

Playa

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:49 PM

Well I lost my first character in slot one the first night and for the past two days I recreated 4 separate characters in the second slot and the first character has never returned. Saved on the cloud my ass...

I would say anything before wednsday is def not coming back, the cloud servers where totally f*cked back then and I can only assume that those servers has been wiped clean several times.

Yesterday was the only time the game was working decently for me, so if anything, thats when the cloud started working.

I am however getting "cloud server not available" now when i boot the game, so hopefully when thats up again, my char will be back.

jato4x4
  • jato4x4

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

How do you even know if it saved to the cloud?

aR2k
  • aR2k

Playa

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

Doesn't matter. The OP, like myself, has just been applying common sense and watching threads on here.

If you chose not to beleive him that's fine.

If this was the way to do it, the problem wouldnt be characters dissapearing, it would be characters reappearing with lower levels and less money. so I doubt thats it. because i have gone into single player several times during my gaming sessions with my online character, at those points, it should have been saved.

Itislupus
  • Itislupus

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

Well I can't find the article that mentioned the cloud sync problem but rockstar's twitter said to contact their support about character loss. I'm gonna keep trying to find the post I read but I'm at work right now

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users