GTA-VC and GTA-3 on windows 8?

9 replies to this topic
junket
  • junket

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hi,

I own CD retail purchased versions of these as well as San Andreas. My new laptop is running W8 and does a beautiful job on Crysis 3 (legally purchased download), but I can't get GTA working.

Any ideas how to do this? Mount an ISO to a flash drive or virtual drive? I do have an external USB optical to use with the laptop if needed, although an error msg is returned if I try to do a regular install direct from CD. Also have a desk computer running XP to work with for solving this issue.

All suggestions appreciated.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Traum - Tagtraum - Am Fenster

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

I remember having the same problem with running III-era games on my PC with Windows 8. I also had the same problem with getting GTA 4 to run. Luckily, my ex girlfriend's dad (my girlfriend at the time) was a computer wizard and was able to figure it out for me. I forgot how he did it, though. f*ck.

Either Windows 8 wasn't made for gaming (which is silly since I can play the Sims, World In Conflict, etc. on it) or GTA wasn't made for Windows 8. Hopefully GTA 5 comes to Windows 8.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Drunk on Power

• United-States
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 06 October 2013 - 11:21 PM

What does the game do when you try to run it?

It is possible that your new pc does not support VC's native resolution (640x480) (this affected alot of people on windows 7)

If this is the case what happens when the game starts it checks for a gtavc.set file-- if none is found it will start in native resolution-- if your PC does not support this then it hangs on startup.

To get past the check on windows 7- I hosted a couple of gta_vc.set files that at are higher resolutions-- people put one on their pc and when the game started it would find a gta_vc.set file with a higher resolution (one it could support) and get you past the check....

Go to this thread and look at Problem #31 in the first post....  http://gtaforums.com...ns-pc-ps2-xbox/

You will need to put the file in the folder on your PC named "GTA Vice City User Files"

See if this works.

Spuds.

yojc
  • yojc

~y

• Members
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:24 PM

Compatibility mode seems to solve resolution-related problems. GTA3, VC and SA worked fine for me on 7, 8 and 8.1.

junket
  • junket

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:35 PM

Thanks for the attention guys.

W8 games no problemo. Subject laptop is I7, 16GB RAM, SSD, with SLI  and I can attest to very impressive performance with Crysis 3.

I don't think it ever gives me an opportunity to run the .exe file in XP compat because it refuses to let me install (if I remember correctly)

Will try again and I'll provide the specific error dialog that results

Eddie
  • Eddie

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

Set the compatiblity mode to windows xp or windows 7 and it will work

GeorgeGTA
  • GeorgeGTA

GTA Master Gamer

• Members

Posted 11 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

Try to upgrade your computer to Windows 8.1. Maybe it will work. Of course, turn on compatibility mode.

Wilikinsbear
  • Wilikinsbear

Player Hater

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:23 PM Edited by Wilikinsbear, 05 April 2014 - 08:24 PM.

Compatibility mode seems to solve resolution-related problems. GTA3, VC and SA worked fine for me on 7, 8 and 8.1.

How did you make it work for Windows 8.1? Steam won't help, and I am getting squat from Rockstar. My problem seems to be these damn directx dialogue boxes claiming that I need directx 8.1 for 3 and VC and directx 9.0c for SA. Anything you could offer would help immensely.

Spuds725
  • Spuds725

Drunk on Power

• United-States
  • Helpfulness Award
    Contribution Award [GTAF]

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:12 PM

How did you make it work for Windows 8.1? Steam won't help, and I am getting squat from Rockstar. My problem seems to be these damn directx dialogue boxes claiming that I need directx 8.1 for 3 and VC and directx 9.0c for SA. Anything you could offer would help immensely.

Thanks for utilizing the search but it is often easier for you to get help if you post your problem in it's own thread-- the person that posted above may not be active anymore.

Please post any relevant info-- besides the above and precisely what it does when you start it-- does windows 8 have any earlier windows modes that you can run in-I believe windows 7 professional had an XP mode (why I'm asking).

I've only run VC on xp but have helped some people run it on windows 7-- I have yet to own a PC running Windows 8....

In my post above-- there is a link to the bug list with solutions-- I don't recall that problem but it is still worth a read for you-- might give you some ideas to try (all the bugs/solutions are in the first post.

harrygrifyndor
  • harrygrifyndor

Player Hater

• Members
  • India

Posted 21 April 2014 - 06:47 AM

Enable "DirectPlay" in Windows 8 (or 8.1/2012 server/2012 server R2) and change compatibility mode to Windows XP SP2. It works!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users