Photo

Heists Are So Scripted And Lame

25 replies to this topic
Lanzfeld113
  • Lanzfeld113

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Just did the one where you knock the armored car on its side ala Heat.

So far in the game you just sit back and watch the heists like a movie.

I wish we were more involved but we are really just doing what the game wants (and nearly forces) us to do.

Lame. YOU MUST SWITCH CHARACTERS NOW!!!!!!!

Why escape when you have not done the 10 minute firefight with the cops?

Whats the point of planning if you are just going to shoot it out?

They really targeted this game to younger people who need twitch action every 5 seconds.

I thought this would be so much more. Sigh.

Skrape22
  • Skrape22

Contents Under Pressure

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

Agreed.

DesertEagleSA
  • DesertEagleSA

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

It reminded me of this:

Jbaker1121
  • Jbaker1121

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

I agree. While roaming around the cops are so annoying ---- doing it for a Heist, you get away clean so easily.... like when you're driving in the canal on the first heist on bikes... really? you just get in the truck and drive away? ridiculous....

but in free roam You punch someone and the cops are on you for 20 minutes...

• Terminus and x0v3rKiLx like this

Lanzfeld113
  • Lanzfeld113

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 05:52 PM

Yeah they make it seem like it is dynamic but it really is not. It is very very scripted....and boring.

Lanzfeld113
  • Lanzfeld113

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:14 PM

I just did the Paleto Bay bank job.

Scripted, sloppy, unfocused, boring ADD mess.

Shoot shoot shoot. ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. 

I am sure the 12 year olds love this game but I am not sure I can go on.

Ozma324
  • Ozma324

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

Thats another huge problem with this game. Mostly all the missions are restrictive and way too linear. They feel too planned. Like a Hollywood movie. I have no problem with games that are linear, but if you have it in a sandbox where I can do whatever I want, when I want and most importantly how I want. It becomes jarring. Unfortunately this only applies to free roaming. A lot of sandboxes do this and its annoying. The devolopers are hand cuffing you so you can play the game the way they wanted you to do. Its much more fun if you give the player more options and tools to experiment with. To see what works best. The older games while they had their restrictions as well were better at it. V just takes it too far.

Zwenkwiel
  • Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:41 PM

this is sort of a direction they've been going for a while

more and more linear scripted missions

going for that rollercoaster ride experience or something

which is why I'm glad that online really captures that old mission feel by basically saying: here's a car/drugdeal/enemy go rob and murder, the details are all up to you

that and multiple players makes the whole thing really dynamic

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:34 PM

I don't think their lame, i actually found them decent and entertaining, but yes, they do seem scripted, and they aren't original. You also don't plan any of it like they told us we would. They are also restricted to the story mode, which is massively disappointing. 

Zannis
  • Zannis

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

Lots of things that should have been dynamic with user input are actually static and scripted.

I'm looking at you, stock market.

• Juzzy.jt likes this

King Kapone
  • King Kapone

x N i g h t c a l l

• The Connection

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:44 PM

I absolutely agree that the heists are not dynamic as I thought they would be and the switches are often scripted. However, performing the switches when prompted does allow for some of the best cinematic sequences I've ever played in a video game. The Blitz Play and Three's Company come to mind as missions where switching afforded you an amazing gameplay experience.

Gokuzbu
  • Gokuzbu

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:19 PM

There should of been heists outside of the story. There were only like 4 or 5 heists during the story and half of them you didn't get payed at all. I was looking forward to planning my own heists during free roam and then once I finished the story I found out there's nothing to do. It's like ''hey heres an empty city with no interiors and no cool activities to do, knock yourself out!''.

GTAhole
  • GTAhole

BPC

• Members

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

It reminded me of this:

Rick Ross probably got the idea, like Rockstar, from heat:

IFury vV
  • IFury vV

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:45 AM

I think we need to wait and see how heists are implemented in GTA Online. Like everything else the single player seems to be prologue for online. So I personally would like to think that the heists will be less scripted and give us more options when they eventually appear online. Fingers crossed
  • Terminus likes this

Terminus
  • Terminus

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:33 AM Edited by Terminus, 08 October 2013 - 01:34 AM.

Yeah I got that feeling a little bit, but honestly I thought the missions this time around(as opposed to GTAIV) were more varied and fun.  I like that they brought berserk mode back, too.  I guess the bullshark testosterone would be like the painkillers from past games then?  In which case, I support it.

watson177
  • watson177

What should I write here?

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:20 AM

if you gave more of a sh*t about the story and characters the heists would be much more interesting. 

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:14 AM

Word. ^ Obviously they're scripted, I had a ton if fun on the story, and I'm about half way on my 2nd play through. I don't get some people though, people thought he GTA IV missions were boring now that it's more action oriented with a whole music score for more added effect and people still bitch. If you don't like it, start a Kickstarter, raise as much funds as you can, and lets see how it plays out when you develope a heist game where the player can control 100% of the missions.

IFury vV
  • IFury vV

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:30 AM

Was checking some videos n comments from guys that sampled online before launch n it seems the heists WILL gie is more choices. This was explained thru needing a house (big enough for planning board) then target and methods can be selected. From there the crew gather required items n equipment n them the heist can begin

This is from various players that played early access so nothing is certain so once again here's hoping

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:53 AM

This thread is one of the key observations about the way that GTA has been trending.  The Housers want to make movies, not video games -- it's so obvious.  Their machinima movies are just mediocre.  And they just borrow almost all the ideas and scripts from other good real world movies. 

So just as the OP says, the missions are almost like watching a movie. 

What happened to open world freedom???

The thing that got me hooked on GTA so long ago, was a mission in GTA III where we had to destroy 3 vans.  They gave us grenades and it was supposed to be a tutorial about tossing grenades out of cars.  But I figured out that you could destroy the vans any way you wanted, and pass the mission.  It was a life-changing revelation about the nature of open world sandbox games. 

Now here we are with missions that are kind of like Max Payne, turn the crank, with little freedom of action, or freedom to find alternative ways of accomplishing the goals. 

Dear god, how have we come to this? 

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:27 AM

IMO none of the heists are as epic as Three Leaf Clover. I agree the switching does take away something away.

I remember playing Three Leaf Clover for the first time and sweating it because I only had a slither of health left and prayed to god the cops were gone. There's really no adrenaline rush like that in GTA V as you can switch at anytime and seems to take that feeling away.

Coupled with regenerating health and checkpoints these should've the game's shining jewel, but they didn't feel like that to me.
  • vivalavendredi likes this

vivalavendredi
  • vivalavendredi

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

I have to agree.

In the interviews it was stated by journalists and R* themselves that the missions are non-linear. But they are way more linear then ever!

Another thing I don't get: Franklin is the best driver. Trevor is the best pilot. Why do we have to use Michael in most of the flying missions and Trevor / Michael as a driver?

They also said, that switching will avoid "driving from point a to point b. just switch characters…" but there is still lots of pointless driving without action and without the possibility to switch.

The missions / story are / is still quite good but it is not what was advertised to us, if you ask me.

Ozma324
  • Ozma324

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

This thread is one of the key observations about the way that GTA has been trending.  The Housers want to make movies, not video games -- it's so obvious.  Their machinima movies are just mediocre.  And they just borrow almost all the ideas and scripts from other good real world movies. 

So just as the OP says, the missions are almost like watching a movie. 

What happened to open world freedom???

The thing that got me hooked on GTA so long ago, was a mission in GTA III where we had to destroy 3 vans.  They gave us grenades and it was supposed to be a tutorial about tossing grenades out of cars.  But I figured out that you could destroy the vans any way you wanted, and pass the mission.  It was a life-changing revelation about the nature of open world sandbox games. 

Now here we are with missions that are kind of like Max Payne, turn the crank, with little freedom of action, or freedom to find alternative ways of accomplishing the goals. 

Dear god, how have we come to this? 

I agree. Hell even the stupid street races are super restrictive and lame. I remember in VC when you purchase Sunshine Autos you can start doing races. Now you can do the race the legit way, or completely cheat it. Since the other 3 racers are already set up you can just bring a rocket launcher and blow them up. Thats what I miss  :cry:

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

"The chickens are plotting..."

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [Advice with girlfriends]

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:31 PM

Remember when you had to assassinate
Spoiler
in GTA3? No waypoints, no GPS, no free guns, and you could do it any way you wanted. We learned everything the hard way.

im_stoned
  • im_stoned

Hustler

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:36 PM Edited by im_stoned, 08 October 2013 - 10:37 PM.

The whole game is a disappointment they let us all down and yes the heists are over scripted it takes all the fun out of this lifeless game 

MikeMyth
  • MikeMyth

I'm lost at sea, don't bother me.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

Three Leaf Clover all the f*cking way. The heists are just like... "its over? ...I just took a bunch of jewelry then fled from the cops for like 3 minutes.."

MovieGuy786
  • MovieGuy786

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:04 PM

R* has no excuse here. They hyped dynamic heists where you plan on your own and execute the way you want. But nooo it had to be scripted. The 1st heist seemed to be the funniest one lol. But really why could they make the heist the way we want it and actually have to lose the cops. Look at Hitman Blood money we can do the hit anyway we want. Why couldn't the Heist be like that?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users