Photo

Vice City simply cannot work in the present day

13 replies to this topic
Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

I see a lot of people asking for GTA VI to be set in a present day Vice City. Although think about it, how can it really work in the 21st century? Rockstar are all about parodying pop culture, that's why all their games are set in time periods where the setting is relevant (the only reason IV and V worked is because NY and LA are always relevant to American culture).
Today Miami is nothing but a tropical hell hole full of illigeal immigrants, retirees and rednecks. There's nothing defining about it. The only real reason it worked for VC and VCS is due to the fact that Miami seemed like the centre of American culture in the 80's.
  • RoadRunner71 and PooyanCyrus like this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:31 PM

I see a lot of people asking for GTA VI to be set in a present day Vice City. Although think about it, how can it really work in the 21st century? Rockstar are all about parodying pop culture, that's why all their games are set in time periods where the setting is relevant (the only reason IV and V worked is because NY and LA are always relevant to American culture).
Today Miami is nothing but a tropical hell hole full of illigeal immigrants, retirees and rednecks. There's nothing defining about it. The only real reason it worked for VC and VCS is due to the fact that Miami seemed like the centre of American culture in the 80's.

+1, unless they want to make a plot in the present day revolving around some elderly psychopaths...

theiceman13
  • theiceman13

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

They should next gta in vice city but in two time periods, the 80s and the present day...i guarantee it will work in the present day, their is lots of stories to revolve around it...rockster can pull it off.

In modern day florida, its the Russians who are now slowly taking over.

Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

They should next gta in vice city but in two time periods, the 80s and the present day...i guarantee it will work in the present day, their is lots of stories to revolve around it...rockster can pull it off.

In modern day florida, its the Russians who are now slowly taking over.

Assuming that's the case, then it would seem a bit too much like the IV trilogy, where two of the three antagonists were Russian.

DoubleOGJohnson
  • DoubleOGJohnson

Playa

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:14 PM Edited by DoubleOGJohnson, 03 October 2013 - 03:20 PM.

The only reason they would do Vice City is because of "tradition". The next GTA needs to be in a big ass city/state I'm thinking Chicago because of multi ethnic street gangs, being the current murder capital, being the third largest city, and being known for political corruption or Texas because of prison gangs, being one of the biggest states in the US, and being by the Mexican border. People don't even know how small Miami is. I dont even think half the people who want the next GTA in Miami have ever even been there.

People just shout out places they've seen in movies. I been there before on numerous occasions and Miami is a small ass place. It's not even in the top 20 cities as far as population goes. The most famous part of "Miami", South Beach is actually outside the city limits. Miami worked because it was an earlier GTA game back when maps weren't expected to be huge. Every game post-San Andreas needs to be set in a big ass place. To do Miami they'd have to add half the state of Florida around it. It'd be better of fans who don't travel not try to pick the locations and let people who have gone to these places make the decision.

LateNightNeons
  • LateNightNeons

Trick

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

Today Miami is nothing but a tropical hell hole full of illigeal immigrants, retirees and rednecks. 

That is good enough for Rockstar.  :p

But yeah I agree, the reason why VC is so memorable is because of the time period and the setting. Modern day Miami would not work as well. 

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

Today Miami is nothing but a tropical hell hole full of illigeal immigrants, retirees and rednecks.

*cough cough* Los Angeles *cough cough*

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

Although I absolutely hate Florida, being a resident of it for the past ten or so years, I would actually enjoy a modern parody of it. Here's a few reasons why:

*Nascar

*Rednecks/white trash

*Illegal immigrants

*Really bad drug problems in Miami

*Casey Anthony

*George Zimmerman/Stand your ground law

RhainbowGames
  • RhainbowGames

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:34 AM

They should next gta in vice city but in two time periods, the 80s and the present day

When I read that, I immediately thought: the protagonist, a man in his 50's living in Vice City, constantly reminisces on his life back in the 80's (we see, and get to take part in, flashbacks), until he decides to get back into the life of crime. From then on, we get to play as him in his 50's and do missions as such, but occasionally he will reminisce to his life of crime in the 80's and try re-creating events that happened back then, or retrying past failures. And then, once the main story is complete (or possibly even before it's complete), the player can switch between the man in his 30's (the 1980's) and in his 50's (present day): the camera would go up, the city would change, and the camera would zoom back in to the player - pretty much like the character switching in GTA V.

That's just a quick idea that I had, and it would definitely work if the right crew were working on it. I'm not sure if it would be the best for a GTA game, but I quite like the idea, if I say so myself. :)

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

Whole idea is taken from Driver:PL but in GTA it would be rather hard to pull. Two different maps (as cities can become totally different in 30 years), which should be quite big to please the people wanting more filled with different cars with different spawn lists. You also need totally different pedestrians, music stations and even game mechanics (internet, cellphone, etc.).

I believe present day Miami isn't that far from the '80s in terms of culture. Sure there are less neons, people are wearing less ridiculous hairstyles than 30 years ago, but the most of the problems are still there. Drugs are still being smuggled across the border, immigrants are still causing problems in their districts and beaches are still sandy. Just look at the CSI: Miami for example, where most of the episodes were concentrating on the problems existing there since '80s. 

Severe
  • Severe

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

Of course it can work. There are still movies and TV-shows made, set in modern day Miami, so why not a game? Precisely that there are movies and shows made in Miami shows that it is not culturally irrelevant or whatever and I dare say that a subject like illegal immigration is exactly the kind of thing Rockstar likes to riff on.

And as V has shown, GTA doesn't have to be about the 'ordinary' organized crime, but can be structured differently, do you don't need to have as much diversity in a city's scumbags, though I would add, I do think Miami has that area pretty well covered.

DaWiesel
  • DaWiesel

Hustler

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:54 AM

I completely disagree. Vice City in present day would work, especially because R* didn't do it yet. Miami isn't as iconic as in the 80's anymore but who's limiting them to make it exactly like present day Miami? I could definitely imagine VC in current time and I think that's where R* should head next.

MyDog
  • MyDog

Niko Bellic's my burazer

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:33 PM

Why does it even have to be present time? The fact that VI will probably be in the HD Era doesn't mean it will also be in the year the game comes out.

zeppelincheetah
  • zeppelincheetah

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:58 PM

It's inevitably going to be Vice City.  Just accept it.  It doesn't neccesarily have to be present day.  They could easily do different time periods.  I say they could have 5 playable characters, two in the present, two in the past and one that is the "main" character that has parts in both the present and the past.  You start in the present and clues and people you meet help you remember the past (cueing changing to the past setting).  You would be able to switch between the two periods whenever, the past leading up to the point where you're thrown into prison and in the present leading from after you get out on parole. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users