Photo

R* mentality: the waiting game

28 replies to this topic
Jyml8582
  • Jyml8582

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:54 AM

The massive amount of players unable to play online is due to the massive amount of players trying to get in simultaneously.

R* servers may be able to handle a few millions of log in attempts at once, but not 100s of millions of log ins, few companies in the world has that kind of hardware.

Since this congestion only happens during the first few weeks of any major launch. Hence it is financially illogical to make any change to the current hardware. After the first month, the amount of log ins will be drastically lowered, making the current hardware viable again.

But we already know all that.

What I'm trying to say is R* is taking the easy way out in this endeavor.

R* has not released anything that we don't already know.

R* has not said they've found a fix or working on a fix. They are merely "looking into" and "monitoring" the problems.

R* claims to be working around the clock, but we only get 1-2 updates daily, 1 in the morning and another in the afternoon. And the updates are to confirm "again" what we've already known.

This only means one thing: R* isn't working on the issue. Or rather, the only way for R* to fix the issue without burning through their bankroll is to just wait it out.

The updates? PR technique to keep the fan base calm. The next update will be around 8-9am EST, confirming again something we've already talked about on the forum, in a meeting minute type of format.
  • Strix aluco and Came12on like this

Courtesy Flush George
  • Courtesy Flush George

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

You maybe right, sir.

xbangz
  • xbangz

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:26 AM

last update works like a charm. ive been playin online for like 4 hours straight

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

Cool story...

Now kindly scan your MIT bachelor`s degree, alongside your business majors and post in here, please. Until you do, you, sir, are full of sh*t...

rattler280
  • rattler280

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:00 PM

The waiting game sucks, lets play hungry hungry hippos.

Strix aluco
  • Strix aluco

Snitch

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Good post.

gatu55
  • gatu55

Suicide Inducer

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

There not posting updates so they can actually work on the game, or because they aren't working on the game and too lazy to post updates. 

Came12on
  • Came12on

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

Cool story...

Now kindly scan your MIT bachelor`s degree, alongside your business majors and post in here, please. Until you do, you, sir, are full of sh*t...

People like you that think you need to pay for a degree to achieve common sense piss me off so much. Idiot.

• Get_Head_Ed likes this

El Tel
  • El Tel

It's just a ride.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

My experience:

Day 1: Didn't work for me at all.

Day 2: Started to work but had problems.

Day 3: Working fine.

You're right. They aren't doing a thing.

• avfc1991 likes this

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:24 PM Edited by Phyxsius-, 03 October 2013 - 02:25 PM.

Cool story...

People like you that think you need to pay for a degree to achieve common sense piss me off so much. Idiot.

To me common sense is not devising conspiracy theories out of everything.

Common sense states that IF GTA 5 flops - and GTA:O might be a good reason for it to - GTA 6 sales will be bad. Do enough mistakes and you end up like Electronic Arts. So no, logic doesn`t dictate that Rockstar is f*cking everyone over in the hopes that players will stop trying to connect to online one month from now.

There is a second argument to this: Their bombastic "We are reinventing the wheel with GTA:O" will have turned to ashes and that alone will write volumes.

Having established that you can`t think for sh*t... where are those degrees?

Gutslab
  • Gutslab

Bustre

• Members
  • Bhutan

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:27 PM

Cool story...

Show me your degrees though.

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:36 PM Edited by Phyxsius-, 03 October 2013 - 02:36 PM.

Cool story...

Show me your degrees though.

Why? I wasn`t the one acting all high and mighty passing judgement on things I have no clue about. Burden of proof falls on the guy making the argument, not on me...

PittDawg
  • PittDawg

Trick

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

The main problem is the bottleneck intro/tutorial/mission. Why on earth they thought that was a good idea w/o dedicated servers is truly mind numbing. IF you can get past that part then getting into the game becomes a little smoother.

Deeznoots
  • Deeznoots

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

My experience:

My experience:

Day 1: Didn't work for me.

Day 2: Didn't work for me.

Day 3: Didn't work for me.

Day 4: I didn't care and traded the game in.

• Came12on likes this

DymeDef
  • DymeDef

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

The massive amount of players unable to play online is due to the massive amount of players trying to get in simultaneously.

R* servers may be able to handle a few millions of log in attempts at once, but not 100s of millions of log ins, few companies in the world has that kind of hardware.

Since this congestion only happens during the first few weeks of any major launch. Hence it is financially illogical to make any change to the current hardware. After the first month, the amount of log ins will be drastically lowered, making the current hardware viable again.

But we already know all that.

What I'm trying to say is R* is taking the easy way out in this endeavor.

R* has not released anything that we don't already know.

R* has not said they've found a fix or working on a fix. They are merely "looking into" and "monitoring" the problems.

R* claims to be working around the clock, but we only get 1-2 updates daily, 1 in the morning and another in the afternoon. And the updates are to confirm "again" what we've already known.

This only means one thing: R* isn't working on the issue. Or rather, the only way for R* to fix the issue without burning through their bankroll is to just wait it out.

The updates? PR technique to keep the fan base calm. The next update will be around 8-9am EST, confirming again something we've already talked about on the forum, in a meeting minute type of format.

NDA's prevent a lot of information from ever leaving the company. These are pretty common these days in development teams, it ensures that the work they are doing will remain safe and also it reduces fan backlash. Not saying everyone does this, but I have seen it on countless games and have watched teams go from being transparent about their development to going full on hush until the patch is about to be released.

More often than not, if they say a date, time or give a window they expect to resolve the issue they will fail to reach it. They weren't even sure why people couldn't get into the first mission until they had that many people try to join at once. It takes time to monitor, to take a look at whats going on and get a grasp on the real issue at hand. Could they have got more servers or better servers? Likely, but as you have said, the amount of power required to host this many people all at once, only a few companies have servers that can do such a thing and they are nothing short of staggering prices I am sure. People talk about servers and buying new servers like it is for hosting your battlefield games. No the server is the Rockstar Social Club, the only way to improve that is to upgrade all of their server computers scattered through the world (to upgrade you must stress test and make sure each one works and this take a while, especially with how many they have scattered all across the entire world). Or they can buy or build more server computers (and test them) to place in their server facilities spread around. Getting servers for this amount of peple is not easy, or cheap. High end gaming rigs are expensive, and top of the line server (would you want anything else?) is far more expensive than that.

LateNightNeons
  • LateNightNeons

Trick

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:55 PM

My experience:

My experience exactly. Today was my day off and played 6 hours straight from midday to the afternoon, no DCs, no problems what so ever, only experienced some lag from time to time, but nothing more.

AfterDeath
  • AfterDeath

Homie

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

Cool story...

As a college student myself I must say that neither Bill Gates nor Steve Jobs needed a college degree... so stfu.

You're either smart or you're not smart.

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

We Heistin'

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:04 PM Edited by JohnGazman, 03 October 2013 - 03:06 PM.

My experience:

My experience:

Day 1: Didn't work at all

Day 2: Worked briefly but later stopped working, and deleted my progress

Day 3: With my tweets and comments on their "update" posts regarding character deletion going unanswered, I haven't tried to get online.

Day 4: Without an official statement that the game is working, I don't intend to try again.

So, you're both wrong. They are doing something - it's just not enough.

El Tel
  • El Tel

It's just a ride.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:22 PM

My experience:

Day 1: Didn't work at all

Day 2: Worked briefly but later stopped working, and deleted my progress

Day 3: With my tweets and comments on their "update" posts regarding character deletion going unanswered, I haven't tried to get online.

Day 4: Without an official statement that the game is working, I don't intend to try again.

So, you're both wrong. They are doing something - it's just not enough.

The last part of my post was sarcasm. They're obviously doing something, regardless of how many updates they give us.

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:28 PM

Cool story...

As a college student myself I must say that neither Bill Gates nor Steve Jobs needed a college degree... so stfu.

I`m glad that you qualify conspiracy theorists smart. I don`t...

Crookid
  • Crookid

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:30 PM

There not posting updates so they can actually work on the game, or because they aren't working on the game and too lazy to post updates. 

You lost me at "there".

Kill yourself.

JohnGazman
  • JohnGazman

We Heistin'

• Members
  • Wales

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

The last part of my post was sarcasm. They're obviously doing something, regardless of how many updates they give us.

Because the best way to deal with millions of angry and confused customers is to ignore their questions and make them look at a list of issues and call that an "update".

AfterDeath
  • AfterDeath

Homie

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

Cool story...

I`m glad that you qualify conspiracy theorists smart. I don`t...

I never said anything about anyone in this thread. I was simply making an objective statement.

Collekt
  • Collekt

Rat

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

Also I think it's probably worth noting that the people who post updates are probably not the same people that are working on the actual issues. People act like the whole company is one single division, and that if one person is posting an update then fixes aren't being worked on.. lol

Phyxsius-
  • Phyxsius-

Just lil me

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:41 PM Edited by Phyxsius-, 03 October 2013 - 03:41 PM.

I never said anything about anyone in this thread. I was simply making an objective statement.

My bad. Apologies then.

As a side-note: I don`t expect to have the next Bill Gates or Steve Jobs on these forums - they would be busy making money, rather than make pointless conspiracy theory posts, so it is a bit safer to ask for some sort of credentials, especially when said individual is so sure about how Rockstar handles business.

El Tel
  • El Tel

It's just a ride.

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

Because the best way to deal with millions of angry and confused customers is to ignore their questions and make them look at a list of issues and call that an "update".

They can deal with the customers how ever they want, with as many or few updates they like, it's their company. I expected problems and problems I got, didn't make me angry or confused at all.

R.R
  • R.R

Soldier

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

Eh, the amount of players able to play now sort of flies in the face of what you're saying, regardless of the sense it makes.

Ill keep faith for now.

Mr. Me-Too
  • Mr. Me-Too

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:00 PM

last update works like a charm. ive been playin online for like 4 hours straight

what last update?

• Came12on likes this

Came12on
  • Came12on

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

Launching Session .......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users