Photo

have you ever met a sociopath?

44 replies to this topic
TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 05 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

Bad place to ask that question considering this forum is about a video game series where every single protagonist has always been either a psychopath or a sociopath or somehow both of them.

When most of America is dominated by both of them, I'm pretty sure you're bound to meet one sooner or later. They are everywhere despite what the statistics tell you.

Mr.Mister
  • Mr.Mister

Capt. Downtown

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:19 PM Edited by Mr.Mister, 05 October 2013 - 10:20 PM.

A ex-friend of mine was borderline sociopathic. Would sometimes play the pity card, I would help out then get burnt in the end. I ended the relationship when he started blackmailing me. He was very manipulative and did not emphasize with anyone outside his social circle. 

Too bad he moved out the country, I was planning on robbing him. People wanted it.

ASIAN LAWYER
  • ASIAN LAWYER

Trick

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:14 AM

Some guy who I went to high school with. I didn't know him thankfully. He shot his parents dead and almost killed his sister because he was so delusional that he believed he'd receive life insurance money if they were all dead. He was reported to have said "She's lucky I missed her head. Next time I won't." about his sister.

HOLY sh*t. was he caught?

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

Some guy who I went to high school with. I didn't know him thankfully. He shot his parents dead and almost killed his sister because he was so delusional that he believed he'd receive life insurance money if they were all dead. He was reported to have said "She's lucky I missed her head. Next time I won't." about his sister.

Nah they couldn't prove it, whatsstrength was the only person he confided in when he told him he did it, he also told whatsstrength that he did it for the money. whatsstrength never told the police though, this is the first time he's spoken out about it.

• GTA_stu likes this

ASIAN LAWYER
  • ASIAN LAWYER

Trick

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:24 AM Edited by ASIAN LAWYER, 09 October 2013 - 10:05 AM.

Oh yes. I've met someone whose quite the bitch. I've talked to people who claim they're a "sociopath" or have traits of "sociopathy" but they all honestly just came off as people who wanted to give their selves a unique label or describe their selves that way in attempt to impress me or something. I only met one true one and she didn't admit it or claimed she was a sociopath. She was just somebody who was a really cool friend at first and appeared straight forward but I later found out through her behavior and communication with me that she was a manipulative freak that only wanted people to benefit off of them. We knew each other for about a year and one of our last days hanging out she asked if I could let her borrow 50 dollars. I agreed, to stupid to somehow not notice all the signs by then and a week later she threw our year worth of friendship away over 50 lousy dollars.

It's seriously disturbing. I truly can't believe people like this exist. From what I heard, this person goes around now with fake Facebook profiles and such leeching off anybody she possibly could.

I could go on further with this and vent or express anger but I'm relaxed. My long term encounter with my first and hopefully last sociopath did teach me something, however. I'm extremely observant in who I decide to trust now and who I lend things to, who I associate on a more personal level with, and I tend to act more blunt and straight to the point with anyone who acts similar to the way she acted towards me in specific situations. Call it paranoia, but it hasn't hindered me. If anything it has saved me from being f*cked over.

To anyone thinking that they have the qualities of a sociopath—rethink your assumptions. The traits may sound cool or intimidating which people typically strive to be, but it's really not. Labeling yourself as a sociopath to feel better about yourself is the same as labeling yourself as a bastard, prick, rat, etc etc. I mean, unless you're the type who enjoys and likes to get off from the derogatory labels, of course, then go all out. :ph34r: :ph34r:

i'm glad someone adressed this. i'm too chicken-sh*t to call out some of the people here, labelling themselves as sociopaths. they're not and it is clear. it tends to be the people with identity issues who label themselves through self-diagnosis, it's an obvious ploy to make themselves seem more interesting as a person.

she sounds very ground zero c*nty to me. you're not unnecessarily paranoid, in-fact you're not paranoid at all. i finished reading a book the other week called "the sociopath next door" and not only was it an eye opener, but it helped me observe these traits in people i had known for years. it's good that you have that observation from past encounters. i would reccomend that book, but you really don't need it with that experience. sociopathy is a stain on people that you can't not notice after first hand encounters.

thank you for the good reply to the thread, trinette.

ASIAN LAWYER
  • ASIAN LAWYER

Trick

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

Nah they couldn't prove it, whatsstrength was the only person he confided in when he told him he did it, he also told whatsstrength that he did it for the money. whatsstrength never told the police though, this is the first time he's spoken out about it.

creepy...

Melchior
  • Melchior

human right and human gain

• The Connection
  • Unknown

Posted 09 October 2013 - 10:51 AM Edited by Melchior, 09 October 2013 - 10:53 AM.

Have there been studies on sociopaths that have deduced key factors in why they are that way?

Well, the thing is, the term "sociopath" isn't really applied because of the subject's pathology, it's how they express it. A huge percentage (possibly a near-majority) of the population might meet those diagnostic criteria, but it's how they express them that makes them a sociopath. 

"Someone who has zero empathy or remourse for the people around him/her. i.e. Could hurt someone without hesitation, regret or empathy."

Police and military hurt people without regret, but aren't sociopaths. A businessman or politician probably has no empathy or shame in their actions, but isn't a sociopath. It's only when the violence or lack of empathy explicitly goes against society's norms.

"end to take a lot of risks that may land them in trouble (don't seem too worried about their actions). e.g. breaking the law."

Society considers risking being caught for a crime an unacceptable risk, hence this is a criteria. Nobody would apply it to gamblers.

The rest of the criteria could literally be applied to almost anybody- notice the number of people that came in and said "huh, sounds like my ex girlfriend."

In summation, a sociopath is a sociopath because they don't subscribe to society's moral ideals, probably because of social and environmental factors. It's not they are broadly, inherently and pathologically amoral because of a cognitive deficiency.

• Finn 7 five 11 and GTA_stu like this

Zroovy
  • Zroovy

Sharp and heartless

• Members

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:01 AM Edited by Zroovy, 09 October 2013 - 11:03 AM.

Kappa

-Someone who has zero empathy or remourse for the people around him/her. i.e. Could hurt someone without hesitation, regret or empathy.
I don't hurt people, but i don't have empathy.

-Most of their actions are there to benefit themselves.
All the things that humans do, are ALWAYS for themselves, every single action

-Tend to take a lot of risks that may land them in trouble (don't seem too worried about their actions). e.g. breaking the law.
Nah.

-Very manipulative and deceptive. Uses people then throws them away.
Many times i do it  :lol:

-Can come off as nice and charming.
lolwut?

-Will trick you into believing that they're considerate and friendly.
Just when i need to manipulate someone.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:07 PM

Do you think sociopaths are happy people? I can't help but feel that a complete shutdown of your empathy might be rather freeing. Not having a conscience to burden you, not having to worry about the ripple effect of your actions, I don't know if that would make you a more cheerful person or if it would destroy your relationships and leave you ignorantly wondering why everyone loathes you.

But then, even if people did hate you, being a sociopath would mean you didn't care, right?

I guess I feel a bit bad for them, to tell you the truth. They're all alone, they have no one, and those they befriend get turned away because of the bad wiring in their head. They can't help themselves, but if you were to give them a second chance, they'd just keep hurting you again and again. It might be some solace to me to know that they're at least happy with their sickness and not dumbly aware of some problem in them that can't be fixed.

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:38 PM Edited by Cyper, 09 October 2013 - 08:47 PM.

Yes.

I know someone and I believe he may be a psychopath.

He's very, very charming and social. It's the kind of guy that knows exactly how to talk to all kinds of people. He got great humor, looks happy, and just seems to treat people great. But a part from that?

He is a big f*cking liar, and he's using lies all the time to get his way. He doesn't care much about other people. He left his wife with one kid because she didn't want to live with him simply because he never took any responsibility. He got no real job, because he can't simply be there on time. No responsibility at all. Another problem with jobs is that he gets bored extremely quickly. No ability to plan his life either.He lives his life like he did when he was 15-16-17... and he wont change. As a matter of fact he seems to never reflect about the future of the life he live. He can't look forward, he can't plan at any stage. Even a simple task such as having an appointmen at a certain time is difficult for him. He's never on time. He stole money from his job (which he lost because of it) but  made up a story about it because he doesn't do anything wrong according to himself.  It's not the first time either. He usally borrows money from people which they wont get back until they really push him. He fooled my best friend on lots of money but he's pretending like it never happened. He expect people to give him everything like if they owe him something. Rarely he give something back. He's really greedy. If he would steal from you and you cought him he would say sorry, put on a show, but he simply doesn't care. Because he never show remorse and he never seems to be ashamed of anything bad he does. Worst off all he think that he is the goodguy. He's just like ''Well, whatever, next topic''. And if he does any mistake, such as when he stole money at his job, it is rarely any lesson learned. He can repeat the same old mistakes again. Even thought he is really social and so on it's like there is a wall around him which you can't get through. it feels like you never really can learn to know him. Which is why he hangs out with different people all the time - and often younger people. He never manage to stay for long in relationships. Then girls always leave him but he have no problem to find new ones. If things doesn't go the way he wants he becomes really angry and blames others. And it's always something wrong with the people he is engaged with. Then he is really lazy and hate to work. At the same time he can't sit still. He's always fibbling with his ipad, talking to people via the phone, or something like that.

He is agressive but as far as I know not violent.

Do you think sociopaths are happy people? I can't help but feel that a complete shutdown of your empathy might be rather freeing.

From the example I gave above I can tell you that in that example its not simply the case. This guy, which I wont mention by name, does not feel well. There is times when he totally collapse. Such as when his wife left him. But even something simple... for instance, if you tell him that ''No, I can't be with you at saturday'', or ''Well, you have to tidy after yourself'' he may walk away and lay down on the bed. He cant take it. His wife left him because he was out all night and never cared about their child. Then it was all the damn lies. When she left him he collapsed. for a while. But he simply doesn't understand. He can't figure out WHY she left. He can't figure out why things are going bad for him or why people sometimes get angry at him. Even though he claims he love their child he have never visited her in all these years. Instead he put on a show on facebook to tell how much he love her. You may think that he figure out ''ohwell, if I have a kid i must take responsibility blabla'' but he doesn't understand. He understands the sentence, but cant figure out the meaning.

Its certainly not a good way to live. You become an outsider.

MIGta
  • MIGta

• Members
  • England

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:01 AM

The guy you're talking about just sounds like an idiot.  I see nothing in what you've written to make me think he may be a psychopath.

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

Sounds like ADD to me.

Jackal.
  • Jackal.

Don't you f*cking look at me!

• Cyclop 9

Posted 10 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

Here we go, my flip friggin ex Jessica. My personal definition of a sociopath. Some chick who throws other people away when they outlive their usefullness, someone who was cold and desolate (yet at the same time promiscuous), and only cared about herself and her well-being, as opposed to all the other people around her. She's also a neo-Nazi. Bummer.

Jessica.jpg

Pretty sure she's just 12 years old, not a sociopath.

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

ASIAN LAWYER
  • ASIAN LAWYER

Trick

• Members

Posted 12 October 2013 - 05:38 AM

Kappa

-Someone who has zero empathy or remourse for the people around him/her. i.e. Could hurt someone without hesitation, regret or empathy.
I don't hurt people, but i don't have empathy.

-Most of their actions are there to benefit themselves.
All the things that humans do, are ALWAYS for themselves, every single action

-Tend to take a lot of risks that may land them in trouble (don't seem too worried about their actions). e.g. breaking the law.
Nah.

-Very manipulative and deceptive. Uses people then throws them away.
Many times i do it  :lol:

-Can come off as nice and charming.
lolwut?

-Will trick you into believing that they're considerate and friendly.
Just when i need to manipulate someone.

no. just... NO.

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Lend me 10 and I'll buy you a drink.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:19 PM

I don't think I've ever met a real sociopath, although I've known a few people who have completely lost their minds to drugs.

My mates step dad has been a heavy drug user all his life and is now absolutely insane (Like dressing as a woman and killing sheep insane), going in and out of institutions. It's sad really, when he is thinking clearly he's a very friendly and clever man, just shows how much of an effect these things can have.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users