San Andreas still king?

70 replies to this topic
  • TheOtherRyan

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

Map in V is definitely not the same league. It's a lot higher than SA map. Sure it was big for it's time, but small and empty cities made mostly from block like buildings, boring deserts and forest between them isn't something worth praising. 

You can't say SA map was bad because of block like buildings that's not even fair you're comparing apples to oranges.  If they re-created the SA map with the new engines in HD graphics it would trump GTA V by mile, at least in my mind. 

Engine and graphics got nothing to do with it as GTA III and VC despite being older were much better in that departament.

I don't know if that feels is result of empty streets, lack of atmosphere or something else, but cities in SA feel dead like during outbreak of a plague. LS (districts that weren't part of the ghetto), whole SF and parts of LV outside The Strip felt unreal and fake. Buildings were there, but along with feeling it's not real, like movies props. 

GTA III and VC were older and their graphics used much smaller amount of polygons, yet the developers could turn them into believable places by adding many details that simply add realism. Payphones, benches, railings and similar unnecessary for story stuff was there to create atmosphere of the real life place. SA feels in comparison like a theatrical scene, when director is trying to tell you these two armchairs and table are standing in baron's room in the big manor. 

SA map recreated in HD could be much better, but it's not and won't be recreated. Such process could add details needed for realism, but how do you know what would we get if GTA III or VC map would be recreated as well.

R* decided to get in quantity while making SA losing quality in the process. Looks like they learned they lesson about this though. I personally would give half of the SA map and features for atmosphere and details creating believable places and pleasant gameplay.

It's uncanny how much we think alike. Well said. :^:

• TonyMontanaCDL

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:00 AM

I've had this game for a week and had a total blast with it.

For me personally the king is the handheld games. I play games to relax, and let off stress and nothing ever came close to loading up LCS, VCS, and even CTW for some fun. I am hoping one day we get another game similar to Chinatown Wars.

Overall this game isn't San Andreas to me. It feels like everything that IV should have been. I don't think i can really compare it to SA. I will say SA is still the king based on the classic feel. This game is wonderful don't get me wrong, but there is a feeling when you pick up SA, it brings you back to the old days the way VC does it.

• slowhands111

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

GTA SA had more streetraces in different  car classes, which you could play whenever you wanted. The A.I.-drivers were challenging, but driving wasn't really groovy, because the roaddesign wasn't very smooth (not enough polygons in curves).

There were only 9 streetraces in GTA 4 singleplayer with no choices, A.I.-drivers weren't very challenging at all, and sometimes Brucie told you: "Call me back in a few days" - very bad missionsdesign!

Grand Theft AUTO 5 should have some more streetraces in different car classes in singleplayer.

• nosyd

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

V all the way for me. It's the best GTA by a mile in my opinion. Then IV and then VC. SA is one of my least favorite.

• PowerKracker

Get me banned from this sh*thole

• Tuvalu

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:57 AM

Was VC map that much better designed than SA? It had a lot of wasted space, like the hugeass beach or the large empty airport. SA at least put use of the countryside. GTA III had the best map design at its time.

• anon123

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

If your a nostalgic idiot then San Andreas is still the king, it will probably take a few years for some people to appreciate V.

• Tikhung

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

GTA IV still the king to me. All hail the king.

Back in 2008, GTA IV was a masterpiece.

Banana Duck
  • Banana Duck

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:42 AM

I really miss the little things like police, fire, ambulance missions

Trucking missions

Car transporting missions

Train missions

Gang wars

Being able to have like 10 followers

Los venturas...

That slow progression from rags to riches

More racing missions

While there are reasons why some stuff wasn't implemented , and things may be added later, it was the fact it was all there from the start with San Andreas. Long live the king

Tuff Luv Capo
  • Tuff Luv Capo

"The chickens are plotting..."

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [Advice with girlfriends]

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

Vice city is hard to beat. If R* remade VC the universe would implode in on itself.

• boberson01

• Members

Posted 06 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

GTA V is definitely better, however for me SA will always be that game I would play non stop and had so many cool memories from.  It just has too many memories and GTA V doesn't quite have the same affect on me in that sense.  I will always be a fan of the 3D era more than a fan of the HD era, but still GTA V is on top right now and it's no doubt going to stay that way until the next GTA comes.

• Zwenkwiel

Proud owner of several tin foil hats

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users