» «
Photo

San Andreas still king?

70 replies to this topic
Uhwoahnohuh
  • Uhwoahnohuh

Punk-ass Bitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:41 PM Edited by Uhwoahnohuh, 02 October 2013 - 01:42 PM.

Gta V is 10/10, Best gameplay and open world a grand theft auto has ever seen, Not to mention 3 protagonists with different styles and personalities we can all relate to. BUT San andreas holds something that Gta v doesnt have yet.: Nostalgia. Now Gta san andreas has a more fun feeling map, more of a nicer countryside and desert,

the sound of an airplane zipping through red county is nostalgic, Not to mention everybody knows the guy driving that plane is the non violent guy with the jean jacket and khakis, because he drives all the planes in that game

The sound of Playback FM while riding down the streets of jefferson, The memories of CJ and Cesar working together in San fierro like straight up bros down for each other.

Spending hours increasing lung capacity for the woozie swimming mission

LEGENDARY

See im already reminiscing about it. San andreas is special. Its something i cant explain but no other Gta can beat it. not even the ones that came before. San andreas is just, excellent. and the storyline was perfect, long and important, more memorable. 

In conclusion of my opinion, Sure GTA V went somewhere its never been, and it took a turn for the best, but San andreas still has my count for the best gta ever made. 

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

SA isn't a king, because it never reached that position in my opinion. VC was the best GTA game till 2008, when IV took the throne. I have to see GTA:Online to make proper judgement, but at this moment IV is still holding the crown.

IV is the most stripped down, barebones open world game.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

Have you ever heard about having an opinion? It wasn't more stripped down than Vice City, but it doesn't matter for me. I'll take game like this over overloaded with useless and bad quality features game like SA. 

• Ermac. likes this

Chris223
  • Chris223

The Simple Gamer

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

I still think SA is the best GTA made.  I like GTA V a lot... but I still feel like they've yet to make a GTA that blows my mind compared to SA.  People think this one is so much better just because it's HD graphics.  The map is not even in the same league as SA, sorry.  It's a great map... but not even in the same league.  Biggest map in GTA history and it's mostly desert, mountains and water.  Woohoo!

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

Map in V is definitely not the same league. It's a lot higher than SA map. Sure it was big for it's time, but small and empty cities made mostly from block like buildings, boring deserts and forest between them isn't something worth praising. 

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

Gta V is 10/10, Best gameplay and open world a grand theft auto has ever seen, Not to mention 3 protagonists with different styles and personalities we can all relate to. BUT San andreas holds something that Gta v doesnt have yet.: Nostalgia. Now Gta san andreas has a more fun feeling map, more of a nicer countryside and desert,

the sound of an airplane zipping through red county is nostalgic, Not to mention everybody knows the guy driving that plane is the non violent guy with the jean jacket and khakis, because he drives all the planes in that game

The sound of Playback FM while riding down the streets of jefferson, The memories of CJ and Cesar working together in San fierro like straight up bros down for each other.

Spending hours increasing lung capacity for the woozie swimming mission

LEGENDARY
See im already reminiscing about it. San andreas is special. Its something i cant explain but no other Gta can beat it. not even the ones that came before. San andreas is just, excellent. and the storyline was perfect, long and important, more memorable. 

In conclusion of my opinion, Sure GTA V went somewhere its never been, and it took a turn for the best, but San andreas still has my count for the best gta ever made. 

This.

Chris223
  • Chris223

The Simple Gamer

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:49 PM

Map in V is definitely not the same league. It's a lot higher than SA map. Sure it was big for it's time, but small and empty cities made mostly from block like buildings, boring deserts and forest between them isn't something worth praising. 

You can't say SA map was bad because of block like buildings that's not even fair you're comparing apples to oranges.  If they re-created the SA map with the new engines in HD graphics it would trump GTA V by mile, at least in my mind. 

Gokuzbu
  • Gokuzbu

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

SA isn't a king, because it never reached that position in my opinion. VC was the best GTA game till 2008, when IV took the throne. I have to see GTA:Online to make proper judgement, but at this moment IV is still holding the crown.

and the most fun

ManOfDisguise
  • ManOfDisguise

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

Well 5 has some really annoying bullsh*t in it. anyone that says gta 5 is a 10/10...slap yourself. and imo GTA 5 SP free roam is more fun than playing against a buncha d*cks on online who will most likely kill u on every encounter like in RDR

Moth
  • Moth

Canis Canem Edit

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

IV took the crown after SA for me. V is better than IV so to me V is miles better than SA. And honestly I am sick of these SA dickriders...

SA was never "king" in my eyes.

You sure about that? I remember reading how loved the story in SA at one. I believe it's your first post, or close to it. :p

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

R* knew they were getting $$PAID$$ either way so they rushed this unfinished GTA out. San An is better in most ways but V is beautiful. Other than that, it's pretty bland cause too mush is left out.

Harwood-Butcher
  • Harwood-Butcher

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:02 PM

I still think Vice City was the most memorable.

After it's launch in 2002, 80's music became popular, at one stage you would listen to the radio and hear an endless stream of remixed 80's songs. (I guess a lot of DJ's played GTA)

I remember one guy on the radio saying "They must be running out of 80's tracks to remix?"

Who remembers Get Down Saturday Night by Oliver Cheatham on Fever 105, it was remixed and released a year later and went to No1 in the UK.

M'aiq the Liar
  • M'aiq the Liar

Skooma Addict

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:06 PM Edited by M'aiq the Liar, 02 October 2013 - 03:09 PM.

Pretending that V and San Andreas are equally weighted (that is, we take into account V has come out exactly a decade later), it's a tough call.

GTA V:

+ Cinematic, engaging story with fleshed out characters in a real, believable world

+ Technical achievement for its time (San Andreas was quite ugly considering it came out around Half Life 2)

- Still no where near as expansive as San Andreas (just not as much to do. 100% rolls around too fast. Although some may argue there's races and the like, a lot of them feel cut and paste. San Andreas had a ridiculous amount of stuff to do. Gang wars, variety of races, driving and flying schools, vigilante, paramedic and taxi missions, robbing houses, property, courier missions. The list goes on)

- Characters are unmemorable and unexciting. Rockstar gets so caught up in the satire that they sometimes drop the subtlety and create generic, predictable characters that don't impress or leave a lasting impression. Remember those trademark characters from the earlier series? The villians were clearly established, and the strangers and freaks were actual strangers and freaks, not just random people you meet on the sidewalk and forget about ten minutes later. From San Andreas, you had the Truth, Caeser, Tenpenny, Mad Dog, Woozie etc. All memorable characters who had sometime to contribute to the story.

San Andreas:

+ More quirky, memorable characters. Decidely light tone filled with humour which GTA has migrated from (not commenting if this is a good or bad migration)

+ Writing was more original and unpredictable (let's go steal a military prototype from this base why don't we?)

- Slightly loveable but totally cliched protagonist.

Overall I do believe V to be a better game, but it's a tough call. San Andreas is still most certainly up there.

Story wise however, I do think IV hit heights none of the other entries in the franchise does. It had character we could sympathise with the most, and can be considered the pinnacle of the GTA universe. The writing was Oscar worthy in some points.

Very well said, I agree.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

IV took the crown after SA for me. V is better than IV so to me V is miles better than SA. And honestly I am sick of these SA dickriders...

SA was never "king" in my eyes.
You sure about that? I remember reading how loved the story in SA at one. I believe it's your first post, or close to it. :p
I did? Must've been high when I said that lol.

In all seriousness I'm know in a bit of a prick when it comes to SA. It's not to say I think it's bad, but I do feel some people do tend to tippy toe around it whereas I'm not afraid to say what I really think.

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:09 PM

R* knew they were getting $$PAID$$ either way so they rushed this unfinished GTA out. San An is better in most ways but V is beautiful. Other than that, it's pretty bland cause too mush is left out.

Rushed lol? First time I heard that word associated with V. Most people said they took too long.

Harwood-Butcher
  • Harwood-Butcher

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:40 PM

Rushed lol? First time I heard that word associated with V. Most people said they took too long.

He said it was rushed but I believe that the singleplayer is one big tutorial for GTA Online...

...not that most of us know what Online looks like yet :whuh:

ReconzVenture
  • ReconzVenture

Eccentric Raver

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:43 PM

San Andreas was never king in my eyes. Good music and decent map, but awfully long and terrible story coupled with a dumbass protagonist. Say what you want, but once CJ left Los santos he looked out of place, all immersion was lost and the whole game collapsed.

Harwood-Butcher
  • Harwood-Butcher

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:46 PM

Say what you want, but once CJ left Los santos he looked out of place, all immersion was lost and the whole game collapsed.

I felt exactly the same when CJ had to fly the fighter jet.

I mean a LS gangbanger flying a military jet, thats where I felt the storyline was getting stupid and silly.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:14 PM

I love Vice City too. It had the best music, IMO of course. It was a good game and it exceeded it's predecessor as did San An. Did IV? nope. Not in my opinion. But it was an ok game but boring as f*ck after the story ended. Did V? V has some ok stuff in it and it's absolutely gorgeous(the map at night and lights look incredible as does the vehicle lights from afar), but did it really take a few steps forward in content or innovation? I don't think so. We just got back some of the things that we already had, and not all of it either. Did we get anything new or innovative? No. We can't even operate cranes again. Why can't we load vehicles or crates onto boats or trains?? We haven't gotten anything new to play around with and it's a loss of innovation that R* once possessed. R* needs to remember why they started making games before they can ever proceed with GTA 6.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:12 PM

Your mentality is Quantity over Quality. :rol:

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

We're all looking for that special someone

• Australia
  • Best Member in an Official Group 2012

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:15 AM

I love Vice City too. It had the best music, IMO of course. It was a good game and it exceeded it's predecessor as did San An. Did IV? nope. Not in my opinion. But it was an ok game but boring as f*ck after the story ended. Did V? V has some ok stuff in it and it's absolutely gorgeous(the map at night and lights look incredible as does the vehicle lights from afar), but did it really take a few steps forward in content or innovation? I don't think so. We just got back some of the things that we already had, and not all of it either. Did we get anything new or innovative? No. We can't even operate cranes again. Why can't we load vehicles or crates onto boats or trains?? We haven't gotten anything new to play around with and it's a loss of innovation that R* once possessed. R* needs to remember why they started making games before they can ever proceed with GTA 6.

I don't remember any previous GTA having a dog that can walk around with us and attack other peds, an in game stock market, a submarine that can be used to explore the deepest parts of the ocean, weapon customisation etc and you say it doesn't have anything "new"? We must be playing different games.

The problem isn't a lack of innovation as every GTA innovates in its own way. Some people are simply stubborn and don't want to accept anything the HD GTAs do. Even if they do it better than their older counterparts.

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:23 AM

I don't remember any previous GTA having a dog that can walk around with us and attack other peds, an in game stock market, a submarine that can be used to explore the deepest parts of the ocean, weapon customisation etc and you say it doesn't have anything "new"? We must be playing different games.

The problem isn't a lack of innovation as every GTA innovates in its own way. Some people are simply stubborn and don't want to accept anything the HD GTAs do. Even if they do it better than their older counterparts.

Well said.

apoapsis1001
  • apoapsis1001

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:30 AM

This thread is the equivalent of going on to forum for Halo and starting a topic titled "Space Invaders still king?" :sui:

hahahahahaha that was great.

Enteum
  • Enteum

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:30 AM

Now, If V had the map of SA in V's scale. That would be something. But we always want more don't we?

Put it simply, in my opinion, V beats the sh*t out of SA!

bish0p34
  • bish0p34

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:44 AM

I still think Vice City was the most memorable.

After it's launch in 2002, 80's music became popular, at one stage you would listen to the radio and hear an endless stream of remixed 80's songs. (I guess a lot of DJ's played GTA)

I remember one guy on the radio saying "They must be running out of 80's tracks to remix?"

Who remembers Get Down Saturday Night by Oliver Cheatham on Fever 105, it was remixed and released a year later and went to No1 in the UK.

I agree. VC is still my favorite. Sure the map was small, but to me it was just the most fun. SA was bigger, but not as memorable. I wasn't a fan of IV much. I played the main story, but not much of the side stuff. I thought it lost a lot of the GTA charm. V is similar. I loved all the hidden weapons, armor, stars, packages, gang tags etc... It gave you a reason to explore the vast worlds they created. IV and V don't have as much. You can spend hours looking around and not find much.

V is still a lot of fun though, and I'm enjoying it. The only bummer is the wanted level. 2 stars for beating a guy with my fists in the middle of nowhere? I miss senslesly rampaging for fun. Too easy to attract attention now, and sometimes impossible to lose the cops. Sometimes you're right in front of them and they stop. Odd.

Alastair Smyth
  • Alastair Smyth

Kifflom, brother-uncle!

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:48 AM

San Andreas is my holy grain, alongside Deus Ex, Max Payne and Hitman!

Wherewolf
  • Wherewolf

Fak u

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:51 AM

I think the latest GTA is always the best. Vice City was better than GTA 3, SA was better than VC, GTA 4 better than SA, and now finally GTA V is at the top.

Agni
  • Agni

#WeeabooPower

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:50 AM

SA is a great, though aged and dated game. It was also made before every company including R* would sell out to get that precious COD dudebro dollar.

Also SA has better driving physics than V, something which will eternally confound me.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:17 AM

You can't say SA map was bad because of block like buildings that's not even fair you're comparing apples to oranges.  If they re-created the SA map with the new engines in HD graphics it would trump GTA V by mile, at least in my mind. 

Engine and graphics got nothing to do with it as GTA III and VC despite being older were much better in that departament.

I don't know if that feels is result of empty streets, lack of atmosphere or something else, but cities in SA feel dead like during outbreak of a plague. LS (districts that weren't part of the ghetto), whole SF and parts of LV outside The Strip felt unreal and fake. Buildings were there, but along with feeling it's not real, like movies props. 

GTA III and VC were older and their graphics used much smaller amount of polygons, yet the developers could turn them into believable places by adding many details that simply add realism. Payphones, benches, railings and similar unnecessary for story stuff was there to create atmosphere of the real life place. SA feels in comparison like a theatrical scene, when director is trying to tell you these two armchairs and table are standing in baron's room in the big manor. 

SA map recreated in HD could be much better, but it's not and won't be recreated. Such process could add details needed for realism, but how do you know what would we get if GTA III or VC map would be recreated as well.

R* decided to get in quantity while making SA losing quality in the process. Looks like they learned they lesson about this though. I personally would give half of the SA map and features for atmosphere and details creating believable places and pleasant gameplay.

one55
  • one55

Dirty Playstation Peasant!

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:25 AM Edited by one55, 03 October 2013 - 06:25 AM.

If my PS3 could play my san andreas disc I'd be playing that instead of V. I haven't touched my copy of V in over a week. cops are overpowered, health is poor, no reason to buy cars/planes...just steal them. why waste $1,000,000 on a car? you bump into a police car and they will smash f*ck out of you until your car is wrecked/destroyed then you lose it. why does MP get car insurance and not SP?

things i don't like about V:

- hard to make money. only a few missions give you money. stock market is useless.

- cars get wrecked way too easy.

- cops are over powered.

- health is poor. you die within seconds. bullet proof vests hardly make a difference. GTAO has much more bullet proof health.

- properties are too expensive and don't pay good wages. can't buy safehouses.

- car saving is f*cked. why are there two garages? if your car is destroyed then it's gone for good even if you bought it. if i stole it then fine...but if i legally own it and/or mod a car then i want insurance on it!

4 out of 6 of those aren't an issue in GTAO. Rockstar don't give a sh*t about single player anymore.

SO yeah...I might just sell GTA V and buy San Andreas on PSN. 

• lincolnimp likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users