Diablo 3 was pretty bad.

Defiance had a rocky start as well.

No mention of SimCity? 

Serpentish
  • Serpentish

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:40 AM

I haven't even been able to get to the tutorial. I  make my character then it fails. So that isn't the issue or at least it isn't the only issue.  :panic:

Try solo mode. That should allow you to get to the race. Hopefully it works for you.

Where do you set it to solo mode?

In single player press start, go to the online menu, play online, there should be a solo option.

DopeSack
  • DopeSack

Rat

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:41 AM

id say its a combination of 00 stress testing of the game servers and the fact the initial tutorial is forcing a multi player event.even when i try solo play i get to the blue ring of death and theres a 0-8 right in the middle of it like im needing 7 other people .that is just my opinion.it really could be a number of things but something is definitely gone seriously wrong. 

i cant believe that how popular a game series this has been they didnt have enough servers ready i just dont think they ever put alot of stress on those servers to fine tune them and make sure they were rdy for load even if only 25% of the ppl who bought this game are trying to log into GTAO thats over 4.5 million which is alot of people and personally i think it might be closer to 40-50% .

illshot
  • illshot

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:43 AM

I haven't even been able to get to the tutorial. I  make my character then it fails. So that isn't the issue or at least it isn't the only issue.  :panic:

Try solo mode. That should allow you to get to the race. Hopefully it works for you.

Where do you set it to solo mode?

In single player press start, go to the online menu, play online, there should be a solo option.

Had no idea you can access it through the start menu...I will give it a go. Thanks!

PkUnzipper
  • PkUnzipper

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:45 AM

I've just never seen a multiplayer launch so bad before. I've seen waiting a couple hours, half a day maybe but not a whole day like this. Pretty crazy.

You obviously never played the fiasco that was SC5

liammozz
  • liammozz

Cash Money Brothers

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:45 AM

Diablo 3 was pretty bad.

Defiance had a rocky start as well.

No mention of SimCity? 

Magic 2014 there's all kinds of wrong with that that's been there since the first game that's never been fixed

TreyCrll
  • TreyCrll

Forum Surfer

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:46 AM

May B
But I think they would have caught that unless they didn't test it at all.

How can they really test something that involves probably a million people all playing at once?  They can't so GTA Online is, in a sense, a pilot right now.

That's called stress testing, but if it were a problem with the code, then about 98% of testers should have experienced the same problem as us. Of course people test their patches. I would know considering I'm a training developer with contacts in the industry,

I'm an experience designer with contacts in the industry and I know for a fact that Blizzard and Activision have downsized their internal testing teams and, in some cases, removed them completely.

Some people test their patches, others don't.

Hey, seeing how you both have "contacts", maybe you could be new contacts to each other.....But chances are you'll never actually contact each other. Ironic, huh?

OT: I can see what you mean OP, but I agree that it's probably more of a patch-sided issue. It just doesn't make sense to me though. Some people got on just fine, but most are stuck at tutorial? Maybe the theory that certain players were chosen "lottery" style isn't so far fetched...

GLiTcH2
  • GLiTcH2

╚═╬═╬═╬═╝

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:47 AM

I was finally able to get online by doing solo-mode however it was only because the race glitched, My character would typically walk towards the blue race marker and then I would get an error every single time but this time there was no race marker and once my character stoped walking where the race marker typically would have been I was able to take control and free roam, So it does seem that taking part in a Job (In this case forcing us to do this tutorial race) is causing the error as the free roam aspect (collecting money, gaining skill points, etc) works just fine.

Serpentish
  • Serpentish

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:49 AM

I was finally able to get online by doing solo-mode however it was only because the race glitched, My character would typically walk towards the blue race marker and then I would get an error every single time but this time there was no race marker and once my character stoped walking where the race marker typically would have been I was able to take control and free roam, So it does seem that taking part in a Job (In this case forcing us to do this tutorial race) is causing the error as the free roam aspect (collecting money, gaining skill points, etc) works just fine.

Xbox? Haven't met anyone on PS3 so far that's been able to get in.

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:50 AM Edited by Killjoy2022, 02 October 2013 - 04:51 AM.

edit -

Solo mode didn't help me last night, haven't tried it today though.

I tried solo mode earlier "failed to start job/mission" thing, same as yesterday.

Xbox? Haven't met anyone on PS3 so far that's been able to get in.

I got on this way yesterday, started a solo session and instead of it loading at the race start, I spawned at the Vinewood sign, I was using a PS3.

rmk808
  • rmk808

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:51 AM

Meanwhile, at R* HQ...

5-fun-activities-to-survive-a-slow-day-i

R.R
  • R.R

Soldier

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:51 AM Edited by R.R, 02 October 2013 - 04:52 AM.

That's happening to a lot of people. In my case, I f*cked around for a while then went back to SP and lost my online characters, which would indicate a cloud connection issue.

Edit - and yes, PS3 here.

Serpentish
  • Serpentish

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:53 AM

Meanwhile, at R* HQ...

I have a feeling it's more like this.

empty-office.jpg

Wherewolf
  • Wherewolf

Fak u

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:53 AM

Meanwhile, at R* HQ...

That girl is bangable.

rmk808
  • rmk808

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:54 AM

Meanwhile, at R* HQ...

That girl is bangable.

She's bout to get it in every hole. Will upload pics as it happens. Stay tuned...

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:54 AM

That's called stress testing, but if it were a problem with the code, then about 98% of testers should have experienced the same problem as us. Of course people test their patches. I would know considering I'm a training developer with contacts in the industry,

I know what stress testing is.  I work on large scale technology implementation.  Stress testing isn't 100% reliable.  There really is no way to accurately test something this big.  They are trying to deliver something very new and different so it's unfortunate that it's not going so well.  The reason other large online games don't have these problems is because they aren't delivering anything new and experienced similar launch issues many years ago.

tipplur
  • tipplur

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:59 AM

i wonder if the tutorial thing is r*'s way of holding back too many players since after i got done things have been fine. maybe they just only let so many people through at a time

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:10 AM

i wonder if the tutorial thing is r*'s way of holding back too many players since after i got done things have been fine. maybe they just only let so many people through at a time

I had a glitch near the end of the tutorial as well but I waited it out and then it eventually dropped me into free roam after a long pause and I thought my xobx was going to crash.  Later on, I had problems logging on so I just re-started my machine completely and then it was fine. 

Seems like a mix of network issues and possibly something misconfigured with the non-race/deathmatch jobs.

Has anyone at all played through one of the online jobs that are not race or deathmatch related?

rmk808
  • rmk808

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:11 AM

Meanwhile, at R* HQ...

empty-office.jpg

hahaha. You know, I think you might be right.

grayborders
  • grayborders

Snitch

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:12 AM

May B

No video game company tests their patches

That's actually a pretty good point. I've never seen multiplayer be added in through a patch either. That might be part if the problem.

Multiplayer io on the disc dumbass, they basically just unlocked the content, if you think online is made up of 1.7mb you make me laugh :D

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:13 AM

Meanwhile, at R* HQ...

empty-office.jpg

Their last update was at 5:30pm EST.....lol

tipplur
  • tipplur

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:14 AM

I had a glitch near the end of the tutorial as well but I waited it out and then it eventually dropped me into free roam after a long pause and I thought my xobx was going to crash.  Later on, I had problems logging on so I just re-started my machine completely and then it was fine. 

Seems like a mix of network issues and possibly something misconfigured with the non-race/deathmatch jobs.

Has anyone at all played through one of the online jobs that are not race or deathmatch related?

yeah, all i have been playing are mission jobs, everything has been fine. played a few race and deathmatches as well, only time i've been dropped is when i've tried joining a friend and that's only happened twice, mostly can join fine

liammozz
  • liammozz

Cash Money Brothers

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:16 AM

Meanwhile, at R* HQ...

empty-office.jpg

Their last update was at 5:30pm EST.....lol

That was sent from his phone while he was banging the girl in the office chair

satanicaleviathan
  • satanicaleviathan

silencer

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:18 AM

Diablo 3 was pretty bad.

yeah, in general.

riksterinto
  • riksterinto

Trick

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:19 AM

yeah, all i have been playing are mission jobs, everything has been fine. played a few race and deathmatches as well, only time i've been dropped is when i've tried joining a friend and that's only happened twice, mostly can join fine

That's a good sign that it's just network issues then so likely easy to fix but might be hard to isolate.  Usually throwing money at the problem works and we know R* plenty of it now.  No major code changes required hopefully.

Tsori
  • Tsori

=AoD= Prospect

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:23 AM

I've just never seen a multiplayer launch so bad before. I've seen waiting a couple hours, half a day maybe but not a whole day like this. Pretty crazy.

FFXIV was a week and a half of locked servers, followed by a 2 day beta that had ..locked servers.

Followed by a week at launch of people not being able to connect, alongside anyone ingame getting kicked every 5 mins for moving forwards.

This lead to people AFK'ing for days on end when they finally got in for fear of not getting in again

Which in turn, due to the fact there was no AFK timer, lead to more connection issues.

In the end the devs were begging people to just log out.

Tsori
  • Tsori

=AoD= Prospect

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:24 AM

May B

No video game company tests their patches

That's actually a pretty good point. I've never seen multiplayer be added in through a patch either. That might be part if the problem.

Multiplayer io on the disc dumbass, they basically just unlocked the content, if you think online is made up of 1.7mb you make me laugh :D

While i agree with you, it was pre-installed.

the patch for the ps3 was 39mb

DocPip
  • DocPip

Trick

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:35 AM

Really? I give you:

Battlefield 1943
FIFA 12
Sim City

That's 3 right off of the top of my head. Hell BF1943 was unplayable for 2 weeks.

BmacTheSage
  • BmacTheSage

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:36 AM

If the first tutorial is the only problem? Why not scrap it then?

Because that's a lot more work than you realize.

I'm sure they have more of an idea on what the problem is and how to fix it than anyone here does. I do tend to agree with the OP though.

indeed.  i vote we just get some sleep and try again tomorrow.  they are likely to have some overnight people working on this, and lessening the stress on the servers might help them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users