How Do You Lock Your Car?

21 replies to this topic
CCarvalho224
  • CCarvalho224

"Courage, Integrity & Pride"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:57 PM

I apologize if this has already been answered but I remember a few articles about GTA Online prior to its release saying that you can lock your car doors to prevent theft. 

I know about the tracker and the insurance, but I just wanted to make sure that the lock is a confirmed feature in the game or just a myth. 

Thanks in advance. 

robbo216
  • robbo216

Rat

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:01 AM

I have stumbled across some other online players' personal cars and you are not allowed to get inside them, so it isn't so much a lock, you just have your own personal vehicle which only you can use.

CCarvalho224
  • CCarvalho224

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:04 AM

I have stumbled across some other online players' personal cars and you are not allowed to get inside them, so it isn't so much a lock, you just have your own personal vehicle which only you can use.

Mine was stolen like 10 minutes ago, that's why I made this topic. 

Sixstring
  • Sixstring

Neighbourhood Gentleman

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:05 AM

I believe you hold down the BACK, Vehicle Access and then change to whichever you like

KatieTheCookie
  • KatieTheCookie

The Cookie

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Bring up the interaction menu and scroll down till you see who can enter you're personal car set it to just you :)

ProGamerGov
  • ProGamerGov

Hustler

• Members

The games named after th crime of vehicle stealing. What did you expect? All a lock does it make stealing more difficult.

Vesper
  • Vesper

Vesper Lynd

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:06 AM

I believe you hold down the BACK, Vehicle Access and then change to whichever you like

That is correct. Holding down the 'back' button will bring up the character menu and you can select who has access to your personal vehicles: Everyone, Crews, Friends, Crews & Friends, or just you.

Privatechief117
  • Privatechief117

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:17 AM

That is correct. Holding down the 'back' button will bring up the character menu and you can select who has access to your personal vehicles: Everyone, Crews, Friends, Crews & Friends, or just you.
If you were to set it to just you can you change it later on to something else?

Vesper
  • Vesper

Vesper Lynd

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:33 AM

If you were to set it to just you can you change it later on to something else?

Yes, you can change the access privileges at any time. :)

tsouryavong13
  • tsouryavong13

I lost on Jeopardy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:38 AM

So would that mean that if you set it to only you can access it, you can't pick up other players in your crew while you're driving?

Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:39 AM

ROFLMFAO!!!! Wow, I want to play this game so bad!

CCarvalho224
  • CCarvalho224

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:45 AM Edited by CCarvalho224, 02 October 2013 - 04:48 AM.

Yeah haha, I had just blown a bunch of money on it, and I was buying some clothes, and I look out the window and notice somebody stealing my precious, newly acquired automobile, and I was like "aw, HAYLL NAW" so I chased him across the city in the closest vehicle I could find (which was unfortunately a Futo, so it was a long chase) and it ended in a shootout in the LS River (which I then lost; he had more ammo than me). Eventually I caught up to him buying clothes himself and I stole my car back, which then led me to creating this topic because I'll be damned if it happens again. 

But here's hoping you, and everyone else with connection problems get to play soon, once you get past the day-one glitches and all, it's pretty awesome.  :p 

blk95ta
  • blk95ta

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:49 AM Edited by blk95ta, 02 October 2013 - 04:50 AM.

a friend of mine was playing in a game with me and he stole another player's car and that person called the cops on him :lol:

then that car got destroyed and he had to pay the insurance deductible on the guy's car. it got taken right out of his bank account lol.

robbo216
  • robbo216

Rat

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:04 PM

Yeah haha, I had just blown a bunch of money on it, and I was buying some clothes, and I look out the window and notice somebody stealing my precious, newly acquired automobile, and I was like "aw, HAYLL NAW" so I chased him across the city in the closest vehicle I could find (which was unfortunately a Futo, so it was a long chase) and it ended in a shootout in the LS River (which I then lost; he had more ammo than me). Eventually I caught up to him buying clothes himself and I stole my car back, which then led me to creating this topic because I'll be damned if it happens again. 

But here's hoping you, and everyone else with connection problems get to play soon, once you get past the day-one glitches and all, it's pretty awesome.  :p

lol sorry I thought you mean the personal vehicle that gets 'assigned' to you after you go and get it sprayed etc. near the beginning. I don't think those ones can be driven by anyone other than their 'owner'. I went to recover mine from the impound, noticed another car which looked better but it wouldn't let me get in it, saying it was property of {insert gamertag}.

meetreez
  • meetreez

Peon

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

You need the keys.

Martin Madrazo
  • Martin Madrazo

Prankster

• Members

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:10 PM

I love the 'crew' privilege. 

TheDizle
  • TheDizle

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:33 AM

Just as an FYI since I haven't seen anyone else mention it yet.. If it has ever been in your garage before, it will automatically have a tracker installed in it, which means he can't put it into his garage. Similar to you not being able to steal an NPC's Infernus for example to put into your garage, it gives you a rejection message, he would get the same thing.

Also, once it has a tracker and is marked as your personal vehicle, stopping right there and joining a different session would automatically kick him out of the vehicle. I was driving a crew mates car once, he logged out and the car immediately stopped and it forced me out without being able to get back into it. Someone jacked my car once as well, and after leaving the session while he was driving away with it, I spawned back into my garage with the stolen vehicle in there as well. This happened before I changed my vehicle access settings of course, forcing me to search for the same thing as the OP.

Changing your vehicle access keeps this from happening obviously, but just putting it out there for people that weren't aware. Kind of a nice backup really, especially for those just starting.

FearTheAmish
  • FearTheAmish

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:35 AM

I made my friends + crew and now isn't option... is funny the rare times i get killed and someone tries to steal my car and stand there for a few minutes trying to open it up.

aR2k
  • aR2k

Playa

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:41 AM

All cars you have can be driven by anoyone, but if you open up the interactions menu you can set who can enter your vehicle, this means the passenger seat aswell, so if you wanna pick up a friend or a crew member and its set to "no-one", he wont get in.

SingingTrout85
  • SingingTrout85

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:57 AM

I change mine to Crew & Friends. Ironic, since I'm low on both. Plus, they'd probably take their own rides, or...mine. <_<
*sets to EVERYONE*

Also, note, wait by the car during a mission. Chances are they're unlocking their car for other players if they're just sitting there and you can't get in at first. I'm unlocking my car 99% of the time, and by the time I manage it, they're running down the street or yanking somebody out of their car, lol.

PlayerMick
  • PlayerMick

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:36 AM

This guy chased me in Sandy Shores, he started shooting. I got out, killed him, picked up his $500 dropped money and jacked his car. Halfway back to LS the car stops and I get kicked out. Something about personal car??? So,,,I threw a grenade at it. Boom!!! I got a bad sport warning & get charged $400. A minute later there is a bounty on me. Damn this game is fun!

Jokimoto
  • Jokimoto

Disco Bandit

• Members

Posted 17 November 2013 - 08:05 AM

The settings are a bit wonky. By default I keep mine on "Crew & Friends", but sometimes they still can't enter, even when the person fills both criteria. 

Some cars make great bait, too. Take something flashy and put an ignition or remote bomb in it. Park it outside the Ammunation, etc., and go shopping. It's quite fun.  Either they go up instantly or you can let them get a hundred yards down the road, wait til you think they're giggling at their good fortune, and then dial "Detonate" on your phone.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users