» «
Photo

Half-Life 3 (Trademark Registered)

22 replies to this topic
lh1
  • lh1

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:33 PM Edited by lh1, 01 October 2013 - 05:35 PM.

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=688589

Basically this says it all.

EDIT: Trademark Filed. 

gtamad8
  • gtamad8

The Miracle

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:40 PM

inb4 "it's happening" gif

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

Never been a serious fan of the franchise, but yay! A lot of people are probably jizzing in their pants right now. Good for them.

Nun0567
  • Nun0567

Thug

• Members

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

This game is never gonna live up to all the hype.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

Agree.

Rown
  • Rown

inhabitant of the memetic infosphere

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

Valve's style is more the embodiment of delayed gratification. 

Whatever they make will be great to the people who waited, because they waited. 

That's not to say Valve does shoddy work as HL2 was a lot of fun, as was episode 1, and episode 2 was one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life (between Companion Cube and the gnome in ep2 Valve also is really good at creating ridiculous objects for people to get attached to). So I am really looking forward to HL3 and will most likely enjoy it if I'm still a regular gamer come Christmas of 2020. 

Rown :rampage:

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:02 PM

Even after all these years, I'm still as hyped as ever for HL3. I've always been a massive fan of the Half-Life series, and imo HL2 with its episodes still remains one of the all time greatest games ever created.

As always, can't wait for HL3, even tho I've been waiting for the last 20 something years lol :p I know the game will be amazingly awesome. I just hope I can finally kill that freakin Gman haha!!!

lazy.
  • lazy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:02 PM Edited by LazyboyEight, 01 October 2013 - 10:03 PM.

half life 3 confirmed

never played half life though. i know a joke about half lives but that's as far as it goes, an irradiated cat has 18 half lives.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Merry Christmas, you filthy animal

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:11 AM

This is gonna be worse than DNF. In terms of expectations.

Never overhype games. Especially a corridor shooter.

DOOM!
  • DOOM!

yessir

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:06 AM

I remember playing Half-Life on Windows 98. Like I've said, the game was years before its time. HL2 was just a amazing experience, especially if you've played and beat Half-Life. I know for a fact Valve can create amazing video games, and we've been waiting a while for this game.

I'm not going to look into the "hype" of the game. I've been following this series for over half my life.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

Everyone seems to forget the HL2 hype... the delay... the leaks... and again the (over)hype. Game was f*cking great/superb.

inb4 fanboy/still overhyped/sh*t game... 

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

Everyone seems to forget the HL2 hype... the delay... the leaks... and again the (over)hype. Game was f*cking great/superb.

Half-Life 2 is probably one of the most overrated games of this planet. Can anyone give me a reason why this game was so "superb"? Personally, all I see is a typical first-person shooter with crappy plot and... yeah, that's it.

Moth
  • Moth

Fiat justitia ruat caelum

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:22 PM Edited by The General, 02 October 2013 - 08:27 PM.

Half-Life 2 is probably one of the most overrated games of this planet. Can anyone give me a reason why this game was so "superb"? Personally, all I see is a typical first-person shooter with crappy plot and... yeah, that's it.

May I ask when you played it? Cause it was revolutionary at the time of it's release.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:56 PM

That's one of the many reasons. At the time (and still has with the updated source engine) amazing graphics. Amazing use of physics (back in the day and even after all these years one of the few games to actually utilise physics as a good and fun gameplay element... eventhough not everything surrounds around it).

Snappy and satisfying shooting, well crafted universe/world, good story, lovable characters, good mix of humor and seriousness...

There will always be people either praising it and bashing all the hate towards it and the other way around... people hating it and bashing all the praise towards it. But you cannot deny all the perks certain games have. 

If you think HL2 is/was a overrated and actually a "typical first person shooter with crappy plot"... then you obviously do not really care for first person shooters. You cannot put HL2 to the side of CoD  (and I'm talking CoD4 and onwards) and say they're the same level of "typical FPS's". You simply cannot.

Then hey, all the DOOM games are "typical and overrated FPS games"... same counts for wolfenstein. And while we are at it, Total War franchise, Red Alert games (the first ones) and the command and conquer franchise (also first ones) are overrated and "typical" RTS'.

sanpreet
  • sanpreet

Peon

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

I can't wait for HL3.

poff
  • poff

Squid

• Members

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:57 PM Edited by poff, 03 October 2013 - 05:57 PM.

legendary gravity gun.... but yeah, people are wayyyyy and I mean wayyy overhyping half life 3

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:34 PM

They filed for trademark? Nice. That means they are serious about getting the game finished within the next fifteen years, before the trademark expires!

If you think HL2 is/was a overrated and actually a "typical first person shooter with crappy plot"... then you obviously do not really care for first person shooters. You cannot put HL2 to the side of CoD (and I'm talking CoD4 and onwards) and say they're the same level of "typical FPS's". You simply cannot.

Look, HL2 wasn't a bad game. But it's held to a different standard. One on which CoD and sequels don't even register as games.

Original Half-Life got a GotY before it even got released. It changed the way in which we think about FPS. If you ever played Quake games, you know what the story of a typical FPS was like. "You are in some bad place surrounded by monsters from hell/space. They want you dead. Lets see how far you can make it." The most character an FPS had before was Duke Nukem. Half-Life showed us that you don't have to compromise on action to deliver a compelling story. It paved way for almost everything good that happened to the Single-Player FPS genre since.

Regardless of how you feel about HL, there is no denying that it was one of the most influential games of the time. A truly historic game.

HL2 did achieve some of that on the technical field, but in terms of the game itself, it barely lived up to the standards set by the original. That in itself is quite commendable, as many games still cannot put together a decent gameplay and a story, but it could not possibly live up to the expectations. And every bit of hype it received over its engine, well, the game itself never really made proper use of it. You had what, a few physics puzzles scattered along the otherwise fairly standard linear FPS gameplay? This really is nothing to brag about. Many games on the same engine have made a much better use of the engine. Portal would be the first name on that list.

So yeah, I would say that it was overhyped and bellow expectations. That doesn't make it a bad game. In fact, it was still one of the best games of its time. It just means that we expected more from it. And I don't think it was all together unreasonable to expect more.

badboy_zay
  • badboy_zay

:)

• Members
  • None

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:57 AM Edited by badboy_zay, 05 October 2013 - 04:58 AM.

http://www.valvetime...s-filed.243962/

Input
  • Input

Pineapple

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:23 AM

I'm not that excited. Half-Life is a pretty straight forward fps when you get down to it. And with all this hype that people built up, the game is going to crash most likely.. Duke Nukem Forever anyone?

Secrecy about games is never a good thing, expectations get out of hand and everyone just hates the game no matter how great it really is.

I'll still get it though. Half-Life is nostalgic to me. 

caseclosedjk
  • caseclosedjk

Forum Bastard

• Members

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:16 AM

I'm not that excited. Half-Life is a pretty straight forward fps when you get down to it. And with all this hype that people built up, the game is going to crash most likely.. Duke Nukem Forever anyone?

Secrecy about games is never a good thing, expectations get out of hand and everyone just hates the game no matter how great it really is.

I'll still get it though. Half-Life is nostalgic to me. 

Exactly. I really don't see why this series is so hyped. I like FPS games, and when I tried to play HL2 to see what the fuss was about, it felt generic to me. 

MindCorrupt
  • MindCorrupt

iCorrupt

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:11 AM Edited by mr_ed, 11 October 2013 - 02:12 AM.

I think K^2 hit the nail on the head really.

Half life 2 in my opinion was a worthy successor to the original, I'd like to ask though what people think it was lacking? The graphics were very solid for its time, the AI definitely wasn't stupid and the physics set the benchmark for games even today. I enjoyed the story, it definitely kept me interested and the characters were believable and the dialogue was fantastic, a part that got to me was the moment in the apartment building where a woman was crying and her partner was consoling her, just the sheer hopelessness of their situation. That's probably what made me enjoy it so much, I actually cared what happened to the characters, it made me want to help them in their world not just because I wanted to find out what happened next in the story.

Honestly in my opinion, there isn't many games out there that did so much right in one product. Probably the only thing I could judge it for is that it was a little too linear, they could have given us a few different paths for getting to where we were going, other than that I believe the game deserves all the accolades it has received.

skittlez86
  • skittlez86

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:07 PM

true it will fail if it even happens 

MindCorrupt
  • MindCorrupt

iCorrupt

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:36 AM

true it will fail if it even happens

I hardly think HL3 will be a failure.

Considering also that none of the hype has even come from Valve, it's not as though they've been going around talking it up saying how great it will be. They haven't said a word on HL3 at all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users