Quantcast

» «
Photo

Which game represented the hood more accurately?

54 replies to this topic
GSF Green Flag
  • GSF Green Flag

Street Sweeper

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:59 AM

I feel some type of way about the hood in GTA5.. I kinda like how the original San Andreas did it better in terms of gang warfare. Hopefully whatever DLC we do get will incorporate better gang warfare.

xIIxFLAMERxIIx
  • xIIxFLAMERxIIx

The Shield Clan

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

San Andreas obviously. That game was based on Gang Life.

V is more of a modern take on Life in California. But the main storyline wasnt gang life, more of a brighter type of IV. Killing and robbing.

• Franklin7 likes this

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Ice cold slavic killer

• Serbia

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:05 AM

Well SA was set during the height of street gang conflict being early 90s LA. It took a back seat in GTA V, but still very well done.

It makes me feel like there are certain areas I don't want to go after sunset.

BarelyLegal
  • BarelyLegal

You're a cünt.

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:12 AM Edited by BarelyLegal, 30 September 2013 - 07:13 AM.

San Andreas was based more around gangs, in an era where gang violence was far more prevalent than nowadays. That said, I feel far more threatened playing GTA V, encountering gang members. 

Some of the gang neighbourhoods are crazy! I went into Vagos turf as Michael, and no word of a lie, I must've had FIFTEEN gang members shoot at me. I hid behind a wall, took a couple out, but the red dots on the radar were progressively getting closer. I booked it out of there, never returned since! It also seems the Ballas recognise Franklin, if you go down certain roads, if one of them recognises you, the whole block turn on you. 

That never happened in San Andreas, and whilst GTA V's gangs take a back-seat as the story isn't really based around them, I far prefer the way gangs are portrayed in V.

Thebigmoose
  • Thebigmoose

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

San andreas was set in the 90's when more gang warfare took place

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

You do know a big part of Franklin's story is how he wants to leave the stupid hood bullsh*t, right? Gang wars would me 0 sense story wise.

kasa
  • kasa

Thug

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:04 AM

the ghetto looks better in GTA V but there was much more activity in GTA SA 

RealTuff
  • RealTuff

Ego Driven Asshole

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

San Andreas was based more around gangs, in an era where gang violence was far more prevalent than nowadays. That said, I feel far more threatened playing GTA V, encountering gang members. 

Some of the gang neighbourhoods are crazy! I went into Vagos turf as Michael, and no word of a lie, I must've had FIFTEEN gang members shoot at me. I hid behind a wall, took a couple out, but the red dots on the radar were progressively getting closer. I booked it out of there, never returned since! It also seems the Ballas recognise Franklin, if you go down certain roads, if one of them recognises you, the whole block turn on you. 

That never happened in San Andreas, and whilst GTA V's gangs take a back-seat as the story isn't really based around them, I far prefer the way gangs are portrayed in V.

In day time I've had opposing gang members roll up to Franklin and be like "Hey Franklin, how you doing?", pressed right on the d-pad and he replies "f*ck you punk"

ShinobiFixer
  • ShinobiFixer

way of the snake

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

I did donuts on grove st. with Franklin.  One walked up and started shooting and they all started shooting.

Ended up with a $5,000 dollar hospital bill.  Went back and killed them all with the help of the pigs.

Have gone to war with the vagos too, and those asians in Little Seoul.

Stupid though, asian gangs are supposed to be cool with Franklin since they ride with the brothers inside the system.

<Yang3
  • <Yang3

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

Well SA was set during the height of street gang conflict being early 90s LA. It took a back seat in GTA V, but still very well done.

This is one of the billions of proofs of your stupidity.

Your username and avatar alone tells that you're a GTA SA fanboy.

ShopToCustomer
  • ShopToCustomer

Ven rápido

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

Speechless.gif

AllenKS
  • AllenKS

SoLoville

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:15 AM

What...?

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Ice cold slavic killer

• Serbia

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

I really hope this was a quote mistake.

Fuzzknuckles
  • Fuzzknuckles

Chronic Ape

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:08 PM

San Andreas tried to depict (and didn't do it very well) the gang situation over 20 years ago. It was a very different time. 

V depicts it now, 20 years later. 

Comparing apples with oranges is not the right way to compare. 

GSF Green Flag
  • GSF Green Flag

Street Sweeper

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

I just think the system for gangs could've been a little deeper. Recruiting and retaliation. For example if a certain gang member takes you out, you should be able to go and hunt down that exact same gang member after you get out of the hospital.

And you can have a feud and alliance system. Depending on your actions certains gangs can align with each other and do drug trades, like maybe families and ballas can have a mutual agreement but harassing their members will cause them to have a fall out and start feuding.

We should able to set up ambushes, every set should have a leader that if you take out makes your gang rep go up(but the leader constantly gets replaced).

Silverbolt Wolf
  • Silverbolt Wolf

the resident furry

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:14 PM

Well SA was set during the height of street gangi conflict being early 90s LA. It took a back seat in GTA V, but still very well done.

You do know that Miamivicecity is a moderator, right?

Jimmy Darmody
  • Jimmy Darmody

Don

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

Yeah, San Andreas. GTA V is not based on gangs. Notice how Frank doesn't give a sh*t about banging and doesn't even live on the hardcore parts of the hood... R* should have put some more effort on gang life...

GSF Green Flag
  • GSF Green Flag

Street Sweeper

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

Too me franklin was never meant for the hood. He was just thrown in for us nostalgic San Andreas fans. Honestly near the end I started to drift away from him.

I don't like how he thinks in certain aspects, I understand that he wants to make money and everything, but judging by his actions the guy could be a potential snitch if it benefits him.

GourangaMaster
  • GourangaMaster

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►BA

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:54 PM Edited by GourangaMaster, 30 September 2013 - 01:59 PM.

Too me franklin was never meant for the hood. He was just thrown in for us nostalgic San Andreas fans. Honestly near the end I started to drift away from him.

I don't like how he thinks in certain aspects, I understand that he wants to make money and everything, but judging by his actions the guy could be a potential snitch if it benefits him.

I agree with this to an extent. I hate to say it but Franklin is a chump for most of V. He is constantly getting stiffed and in general his behavior is indicative of a lacky rather than someone with any real ambition to forge his own path. His story was just not as compelling as Trev and Michael and unfortunately, just like you, it made me really not care much for his involvement towards the last 1/4 of the game. Im not a Franklin hater at all but its disappointing that he really did seem like a bone thrown from R* for the SA fans.   

thun3r
  • thun3r

Snitch

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

Thank god that crap took a back seat in GTA V...... I got sick of Frank constantly following that MEGA IDIOT Lamar. Really wish he had died. I mostly avoided using frank unless I had to because I was afraid that I would have to deal with all of his dumb little friends and their ghetto ways. Really hated how he let his ex speak to him like he was trash. She wasn't worth sh*t.

• NADOLNY likes this

NADOLNY
  • NADOLNY

Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

Five, of course

its very realistic, ballas smoking and drinking, riding bmx's... killing you for looking at them..

• swagbucks likes this

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:14 PM Edited by Official General, 30 September 2013 - 02:14 PM.

Yeah you are right about Franklin wanting to leave the hood stuff behind. But you are wrong about gang wars making no sense in the game.

Franklin is still somehow connected to gangs as we have seen in his missions with Lamar. It would have been great if Franklin had optional side missions and activities to do with gangs. Not necessarily territory takeovers like SA, but something a bit more specific like selling drugs in the block and having to fight off rival gangs for drug sales. Or jacking rival gang's drugs and guns stashes. Taking a few gang members to do drive-bys on some rivals. Stuff like that would have been great. 

You do know a big part of Franklin's story is how he wants to leave the stupid hood bullsh*t, right? Gang wars would me 0 sense story wise.

But the hoods in GTA V have been done very well, at least they actually do look and feel dangerous, Rockstar scored highly with that. 

• M'aiq the Liar likes this

liquidussnake119
  • liquidussnake119

Bitcher and Moaner

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:16 PM Edited by liquidussnake119, 30 September 2013 - 02:16 PM.

I prefer GTA V, because I feel like they put a little more emphesis on gang structure and they seemed much more realistic.

San Andreas touched on it a lot more than people notice, but it R*N was just coming out of their old "comic book" style of doing gangs in their games, and that still carried over a bit into San Andreas.

And people need to chill out about gang wars not being in.  You're basically going to be able to do gang wars through online...

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:48 PM

No.

Why should we chill out ? Many people, including myself don't really wanna play with other people online, we wanna explore and be immersed in the GTA world ourselves. I'd rather do gang wars playing a single player game than having to rely on others to join in, I'm just not into that deathmatch stuff. 

And people need to chill out about gang wars not being in.  You're basically going to be able to do gang wars through online...

GSF Green Flag
  • GSF Green Flag

Street Sweeper

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

Man I just went to Vagos hood and was walking around their projects just to check sh*t out, so I go all the way to back of the jects and this one dude was like I don't like you what the f*ck you over here for ese? So Frank goes "nigga f*ck you" and the vago dude was about to pull out a strap but I gave his ass a right hook. Sent his ass head first into a concrete step and put him to sleep.

Now this would be a good time to initiate a retaliation system where the dude I knocked out would come looking for me with his peoples and I won't be able to go in vagos territory. Stuff like that would give it way way way more replay value.
  • swagbucks likes this

avfc1991
  • avfc1991

KATY PERRY <3

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

San Andreas for sure

grove-street-family-4-life-o.gif

Franklin7
  • Franklin7

A big Franklin fan

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

Franklin wants to leave da hood you get me so why gang warefare although a new character could be in dlc getting grove street back :D ( hopefully)

Snapabowl
  • Snapabowl

Errl User

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

This.  It's made quite clear that he doesn't want to do Gang life, he's always dragged back to it with Lamar.

GSF Green Flag
  • GSF Green Flag

Street Sweeper

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:13 PM

This.  It's made quite clear that he doesn't want to do Gang life, he's always dragged back to it with Lamar.

Gang culture is a huge part of Los Angeles history so if they wanted to reinvent it using Los Santos I don't know why they didn't make it deeper?

gtamad8
  • gtamad8

The Miracle

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

The ghetto in V coulda been better, like getting carjacked or having people follow you in gangs when walking around, I like to feel tense when playing games but V didn't hit the spot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users