Photo

Why your un-damaged aircraft's engines stop working

55 replies to this topic
ProGamerGov
  • ProGamerGov

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:39 PM

Most people do not realize that you can damage the aircraft by manipulating the thrust. Ever notice puffs of smoke comming out of your engines? Hat is a good indicator but you can still damage engines and not see any puffs of smoke. To not damage the engines, you have to manipulate the thrust intelligently and unless it is an emergency slow down or speed up slowly and transition between acceleration and breaking slowly and intelligently.

Lagful
  • Lagful

Certified Fresh

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:45 PM Edited by Lagful, 29 September 2013 - 11:45 PM.

I've never experienced this problem without my planes getting damaged in some form. Guess I don't drive like an idiot then. :cookie:

BettyBlueGT
  • BettyBlueGT

Thug

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:50 PM

Oh look a case of someone thinking the game is more realistic then it really is... Sound like my father..
  • DaRkL3AD3R likes this

ProGamerGov
  • ProGamerGov

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:56 PM

Oh look a case of someone thinking the game is more realistic then it really is... Sound like my father..

What? What I am saying is that being too hard on the engines breaks them, some people do not know this and have to be more gentle with them. It's not ultra realistic but it is there in game. Try it out by repeatedly holding the right trigger for a few second and then the left trigger for a few seconds. Repeat until you crash.

Don 'de Medici'
  • Don 'de Medici'

le wild OG appears

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:02 AM

This is true I've pulled negative Gs in the laser for 5 mins straight and eventually it stops working and you craSh

TjCase85
  • TjCase85

Snitch

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

Havent had this happen... Only when my planes I stole got shot at. Today I stole a Jetliner, and flew it around for like 45 min all crazy like.

GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:59 AM

Doubt that something like this was programmed into the game. I work on Jet Engines as career and I'm certified to run them for maintenance. If they programmed that into the game then why not fix the other errors with airplanes. The Titan has so many unrealistic errors that it makes me cringe. 

The engines of a jet engine are at the most thrust output at TRT(Thrust Rated Takeoff), once an aircraft gets into the air then the pilot doesn't have to use the takeoff settings again. Flight Idle is used once the plane gets into the air. The worst case scenario of moving throttles is a flame out due to excess fuel being dumped in and putting out the flames/ combustion process. However the igniters are designed to work in a continuous cycle to reignite fuel in the case of a flame out. 

The thing that proves your theory wrong is that jet engines have a system such as a PMC(Power Management Control). This allows the pilots to set the N1(fan) speed to a setting a forget it. In others words you don't have keep accelerating and decelerating to keep the plane in the air. Other model B-52's don't have this system so pilot always move the throttles. If the pilots want to fly at 80% they set it and don't touch it again unless they need to speed up or slow down. 

• RPhilMan1 likes this

seanforever
  • seanforever

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 01:51 AM

I've had the Lazer engine die on me in flight after I stole it. Note the plane took zero damage in my getaway. but the engine just died, nosedive into the ground.

Now that i've parked it, I can take it out for hours at a time and the engine won't die. 

I'm thinking its just a glitch.

GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:05 AM

I've had the Lazer engine die on me in flight after I stole it. Note the plane took zero damage in my getaway. but the engine just died, nosedive into the ground.

Now that i've parked it, I can take it out for hours at a time and the engine won't die. 

I'm thinking its just a glitch.

agreed. 

Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:37 AM

It's as random as the turbulence :)

I've landed planes that have no functioning engines though. They still glide toward the ground.

GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

It's as random as the turbulence :)

I've landed planes that have no functioning engines though. They still glide toward the ground.

Be glade that the glide ratios of the aircraft aren't programmed into the game. If they were the wrong move with no engines would send your plane plummeting to the ground like a brick. 

madmanaz
  • madmanaz

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:45 AM

Bought a plane, flew for well over an hour holding accelerator, no issues.

UKJoshUK
  • UKJoshUK

Boss

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:12 AM

Don't hate on him pal, he's got a valid point.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Web Development/Programming] 2013
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA Series] 2011
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:15 AM

Real airplanes stall. But it has nothing to do with engines stalling. Unfortunately, nobody at R* knows anything about airplanes, so they didn't realize the distinction. Hence the messed up thrust/flight model that we have. It's wrong in absolutely every way and there is nothing realistic about it.

GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:16 AM

No, he might be right. People are giving R* too much credit. I highly doubt R* programmed that into the game while ignoring many other aspects of flight. 

Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:22 AM

Yeah like losing parts of a wing and still maintaining perfect control :)

It would be cool to spiral into a mountain once in a while

TrevorPhilipsInc
  • TrevorPhilipsInc

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:26 AM

As pointed out by someone who works on jet planes...he has no point at all..Just a irrational theory that has had no testing what so ever.

GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:30 AM

Some aircraft can fly with both engines out on the same wing and with Major structural damage. As long as it doesn't interfere with too much of the leading edge then airflow wouldn't be affected and cause the plane to crash. 

mmm chocolate
  • mmm chocolate

BLAINE COUNTY

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:36 AM

I've had it happen too. Been shot twice stealing the fighter jet and it happened and i just crashed. Second time, i only got hit once coming out of fort zancudo, and my engine gave out just before i made it to trevors airfield, i landed safely, but couldnt restart the damn plane. So I have yet to get one in my hanger.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:39 AM

Fighter's jet engine seems to get damaged over time. Flying balls to the wall seems to make it worse. I've tried flying with throttle only about half way and managed to keep it going for quite some time.

GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:44 AM

You'll be surprised at what damages a jet engine. I had to remove a f-16 engine when it sucked in a screw, another because of a quarter. They sit so low to the ground that they suck in everything.  Forget the Die Hard scene when man gets sucked in and nothings happens. Birds take down jet engines a lot.  

Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:45 AM

Some aircraft can fly with both engines out on the same wing and with Major structural damage. As long as it doesn't interfere with too much of the leading edge then airflow wouldn't be affected and cause the plane to crash. 

Yeah, as long as they have a competent pilot. I meant necessary parts though like the flaps and rudder.

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:54 AM

You'll be surprised at what damages a jet engine. I had to remove a f-16 engine when it sucked in a screw, another because of a quarter. They sit so low to the ground that they suck in everything.  Forget the Die Hard scene when man gets sucked in and nothings happens. Birds take down jet engines a lot.

Does the F-16 really become a paperweight if it gets FOD-out in the air? Or can you still pull an emergency landing with a dead engine? I know it's not as bad as GTA V shows it. It can't possibly have a glide ratio worse than 2, but you do need something in the 3-4 range if you hope to walk away from the landing.

I meant necessary parts though like the flaps and rudder.

Neither is necessary. You can fly a plane on ailerons alone or rudder alone so long as throttle works and you aren't looking for a soft landing.

GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:56 AM

Yeah, as long as they have a competent pilot. I meant necessary parts though like the flaps and rudder.

A F-15 landed with one wing. 

Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:57 AM

Yeah? Daf*ck sense did that make? I would've given that guy a medal

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:59 AM

A F-15 landed with one wing.

Sure, going close to 200 KIAS and flown by wire. Actually, Killer Chick's A10 coming home is more impressive to me.
  • GamerPatriot likes this

GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:59 AM

Does the F-16 really become a paperweight if it gets FOD-out in the air? Or can you still pull an emergency landing with a dead engine? I know it's not as bad as GTA V shows it. It can't possibly have a glide ratio worse than 2, but you do need something in the 3-4 range if you hope to walk away from the landing.

I meant necessary parts though like the flaps and rudder.

Neither is necessary. You can fly a plane on ailerons alone or rudder alone so long as throttle works and you aren't looking for a soft landing.

You can crash land safely with one engine out. GTA V shows it as horrible as it can get. They didn't program anything about flight into the game.  As long as the pilot dumps all weapons to lighten the load, help glide better also. Don't want to land on a bomb while crash landing. 

A C-130(Titan) with no engines will fall like a rock however.

Lunytunes
  • Lunytunes

Dat Angry AZs Gerbil

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:04 AM

I guess it would be a game in itself to make it realistic. Just hate how inaccurate they made it, it's like they just added that to impress people and show a bit of realism.

Well done R*

K^2
  • K^2

Vidi Vici Veni

• United-States
    Best Debater 2010

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:05 AM

You can crash land safely with one engine out.

F-16 only has one. That's kind of why I'm curious. Multi-engine I understand pretty well. I've talked to some Chinook pilots about what their options are in case of engine failure. That was quite interesting. Though, a bit off topic here.

Huh. Really? That thing looks like it can glide a little. But maybe it's heavier than it looks. I guess it's about the same as a 747 then. One engine out, you can continue flight. Two engines, you should be looking for a place to land. Three engines, you are landing now whether you want to or not. Four engines, you're a brick.

GamerPatriot
  • GamerPatriot

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:14 AM

You can crash land safely with one engine out.

F-16 only has one. That's kind of why I'm curious. Multi-engine I understand pretty well. I've talked to some Chinook pilots about what their options are in case of engine failure. That was quite interesting. Though, a bit off topic here.

Huh. Really? That thing looks like it can glide a little. But maybe it's heavier than it looks. I guess it's about the same as a 747 then. One engine out, you can continue flight. Two engines, you should be looking for a place to land. Three engines, you are landing now whether you want to or not. Four engines, you're a brick.

For a F-16 if your engine goes out at the wrong time you might as well bail out. I can tell you that no pilot is going to try and land out with no engine. Safer to bail and take your chances there. If you're during a climb and engines go out you will fall with no chance of recovery. 

As for the C-130 it's glide ratio isn't two great. One landed with one engine at my first base, there had once chance as they didn't have enough power to takeoff again to make another pass. When they lose a engine they feather the prop to reduce drag so they don't fall also. 

Sorry to be getting of topic. Bottom line is that R* didn't program complicated flight algorithms into the game. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users